The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 February 2019, 06:46 AM   #61
TR6
"TRF" Member

Watch: me do this
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Raffi Yorkdale/Square One? Screw their games!
I picked up a Submariner that was sitting in the display case at Raffi Yorkdale last autumn.
TR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 06:55 AM   #62
y2jdmbfan
"TRF" Member

Don't do it. I am about to ask my AD for my $3,000 deposit back on a D-Blue Deep Sea James Cameron. I'm going on 7 months waiting.
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 06:55 AM   #63
TR6
"TRF" Member

Watch: me do this
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoncam View Post
also, raffi's square one said that if the watch isn't delivered in 8 months, I can get my money back.

pretty much every other AD in Toronto I got laughed at or told to get lost. Royal Des Versaille literally answered "NO" to my question about a submariner and then hung up. Damiani wasn't bad but again, I would have to pay in full and that AD is a bit out of the way compared to Raffi's. not sure what to do at this point. I have called literally every AD from Windsor to St. Johns and no one had a watch available to purchase or a proper waitlist. they only offered "interest lists" where they would call you if there is space on the list.
Royal de Versailles added me to their list for a Submariner and a GMT last autumn, without a deposit, & called me within a week for a Submariner, & again 3 or so weeks later about another Submariner, & last week for the GMT. However, I'd already obtained the watches from other ADs.
TR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 06:58 AM   #64
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I'd be carefull, with the stories of ADs gave up their Rolex status make sure you can get your money after after a certain wait time. If you have to a wait a year for a basic Sub, something ain't right
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:02 AM   #65
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would ask if you can put down 20%, that's a fair compromise showing you are serious whilst also maybe getting you up the list quicker, but have a return date set.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:20 AM   #66
Pol1
"TRF" Member

Yesterday I got the very good news from my AD to announce me that there will be 2 BLRO available for 2020/02. I could reserve one by paying an advance of 2K € what I immediately did of course.
Pol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:20 AM   #67
MercLBDM
"TRF" Member

My local AD declined to take any deposit from me whatsoever for my first ever purchase, a BLNR. I offered naively expecting I could "order" the watch. Had zero knowledge of waiting lists, thought you could just walk in and if it wasn't in stock they'd order you one in or tell you when the next delivery was. They accepted me onto their list and told me it could be a couple of years, but refused to take my money when I offered it as a deposit. I left them alone for 6 months, popped in a call to see if the wait had changed, it hadn't was still c.18 months, left it another 2 months before I checked in with them again while asking about a service on an old TAG. They told me I was at no. 5 on their list and would be about 6 months. Two weeks later I got a call to say it was my turn. Couldn't believe it. Thought they managed my expectations fantastically. To cap it all off it arrived at exactly the same time as the other half's lady DJ she'd spec'd about two months prior. We're still not sure to this day if they "engineered" them arriving together or not, but it made our day and got that AD all of our repeat and future business.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
MercLBDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:49 AM   #68
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
Your signature shows you are three deep into your Rolex collection. Did you buy those from one AD? And still don't get a clear answer on SD43 availability? Pretty discouraging to this newbie.
Yes, I did. But the Milgauss and Explorer aren't impossible to get at an AD, even now, and the Hulk was done before the true craziness started.

As of now GMTs, Subs and SDs are all on the we don't have it and we don't know when we will get it list.

It is a frustrating turn, as I was just getting into the Rolex thing myself. I suppose it isn't the end of the world that this barren market makes me save my money...if anything was available I'd have a Daytona, Batman, and a SD43.

And, it is allowing me to start studying vintage stuff (also seems to be climbing in value), and other brands (except Patek which seems to be in the same overheated market as Rolex). I can't afford Patek anyway, so meh.

Again, it's an interesting time to be brand new or sort of new to this...
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 08:43 AM   #69
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
As someone said suppose they go out of business. Where is your money then.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 08:51 AM   #70
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
I’ve paid 20% deposit for my Dblue with no timescale. Collected it 3 weeks later.
Omega Seamaster 300
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 09:06 AM   #71
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've never had to do this but I wouldn't be against doing this provided I have strong confidence the AD will stay in business for a long time.

I've offered before but they were nice enough to decline and just called me instead when the watch came in.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 09:25 AM   #72
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Interest free loan for them.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 11:08 AM   #73
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

I actually think this “deposit” nonsense is individual sales reps trying to lock in their spot on the list. I got a call from a rep at an AD that I’ve dealt with in the past and she had to find a buyer for a sub date, otherwise it went going to the next sales person to sell to their #1 person. Honestly, I think the AD knows they’ll sell the watch but I suspect the individual sales persons are trying to ensure they get their sale under their commission... what better way than to have their money locked down.

You think the shortage is bad for us, but imagine the mortal combat going down amongst the sales staff to get their sales

The sales lady at the Bal Harbour Rolex Boutique told me, “you prepay for the hulk, I’ll get you one within 2 months”
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 11:18 AM   #74
Anthony808
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
It isn't crazier in my opinion than paying a grey dealer $2000 over retail. I'd rather put a full deposit down with an AD and exercise a bit of patience than fork over a premium because I can't wait a little while.
Anthony808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 11:41 AM   #75
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
I wouldn't put more than $1000 down and only with a written promise to refund within a set period of time. Funny how some ADs keep pushing the limits of what people need to do for the right to purchase a Rolex. I sympathize with you and other first time buyers. I'm not sure why an AD needs this protection in this market when it's so easy to sell them. I question the need for ADs at all since service is minimal these days. Welcome to TRF and good luck in your search. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 11:54 AM   #76
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Be careful you don't get delayed and have to use your deposit as store credit.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:09 PM   #77
mangoseed
Banned

Deposit of the full MSRP is just excessive, a $1500 deposit would be adequate to ensure only serious buyers put their names downs.
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:07 PM   #78
bwilly
"TRF" Member

Try going to La Difference in Markham. They can be a lot more helpful than any other AD in the city.
bwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 04:18 PM   #79
mendoncam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilly View Post
Try going to La Difference in Markham. They can be a lot more helpful than any other AD in the city.
I tried them actually. the only had 2 milgaus and an explorer 39mm. I asked to special order or anything but they said they can't accept money before they know when they will be getting the watches. they also said that they can put a special order in without a deposit but it would be a minimum of 1 year, most likely more before I get one.
mendoncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 08:37 PM   #80
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoncam View Post
My AD just informed me that I would require to pay for a submariner date in full for an allocation for the watch. is this normal? they said 3-8 month wait

Regards,
Mark
Tell them to pound sand.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:01 PM   #81
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Which AD?
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 11:06 PM   #82
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not. I would go Grey Market and pay a slight premium and have my watch now. Too many risks and with no firm delivery date it does not work for me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:59 PM   #83
johnny.tran1
2024 Pledge Member

ask to do a partial deposit. full payment with months waiting is ridic
johnny.tran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:54 AM   #84
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
I am not sure how they do this. Many moons ago we had shops in London and also did postal orders of stuff.

We used Barclay merchant services for the card payments/processing etc.

I was hauled over the coals during a spot audit they performed, as one of the lads had taken a payment from a customer for items that were on back order and due to be dispatched within a week or so.

There had been no complaint from the customer, this was Barclays protocol at the time.

They stated that we could not process the card payment until either the items being paid for were dispatched or collected.

It may be different now of course, unless they process the payment as a"Deposit".

Be interesting to see anybody who has paid in full upfront, if they are given an invoice for a full sale or just a deposit invoice. As they surely won't know serials etc that far in advance.

Last edited by BisonHead; 24 February 2019 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: butter fingers
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:12 AM   #85
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

There are a lot of experts on here.

If you really want a new watch and would like to buy from an AD I’d say go for it.

All this talk about interest free loans is idiotic. The interest on $8500 you would lose or they would gain is chump change over 3-8 months and wouldn’t be worth the time you’ll probably invest spending a few more hours shopping. Try to commit them to the 3 months instead of the 8 months and go enjoy yourself while you wait for the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:34 AM   #86
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I would not. I would go Grey Market and pay a slight premium and have my watch now. Too many risks and with no firm delivery date it does not work for me.

All day long and twice on Sunday lol.

For a sub the mark up is just not that bad. 9 out of 10 times might be able to get them to drop a little and then you factor tax not that much over.

I always said I would not pay over MSRP and luckily not looking for anything, but for only a few hundred over vs a long wait I think I would do it. I am thinking 500-1000 would be my limit.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 06:50 AM   #87
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

Some have you leave your card and once the watch is in charge you and tell you pick it up. Nothing wrong w that to me

I’d never pay in full in advance though
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 07:17 AM   #88
Simmer007
"TRF" Member

I'm located in Ontario and based on the AD you are talking about they won't be going out of business ( full disclosure, they are not my AD )

If you really want the watch I would offer to put 50% down as long as it's refundable. I would bet the call comes in a lot less than 8 months. I know we all want a watch tomorrow but for a lot of us it's a lifetime piece so it's worth the wait.
Simmer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:09 PM   #89
illiguy

Did a search and found this thread. I was visiting family in my hometown (population of ~ 150,000). I visited a long-standing AD I had some prior history with. I paid in full for a 116500 LN with no guaranteed delivery date, but estimate of about a year. I had no problems doing this for this AD and for the Daytona.

I did this on my credit card for added protection, and have a sales receipt that says "price subject to change by Rolex". This is in the event of a Rolex USA price increase before the AD receives allocation of the watch.

In short, not fussed at all by full payment.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:17 PM   #90
RaceDoc11
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs
I just put 20% down on a white SD. To ask for a full payment upfront is not normal.
RaceDoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote