The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 February 2019, 09:45 AM   #1
Catching Chrome
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex Expl
Rolex Repair-Philadelphia

I have a 1997 Date Just that is in need of service. I can no longer wind it and when I give it a light shake the second hand moves in reverse. Looking for a reputable repair facility near philadelphia. If anyone has any experience or can recommend one I would appreciate it.
Catching Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:45 AM   #2
thui0708
Banned

Watch: 116500
THEWATCHBOX, A Govberg Company and ask for Joshua.
They are located in PA. Hope this help.
thui0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:46 AM   #3
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Do not go to Govberg...
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:51 AM   #4
thui0708
Banned

What happened I was there few times. What went wrong?
Old 22 February 2019, 10:53 AM   #5
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

Isn't there a Rolex Service Center near Philadelphia?
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:57 AM   #6
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thui0708 View Post
What happened I was there few times. What went wrong?
1) staff is extremely un-knowledgeable of the Rolex brand - point in case when Greg, the downtown Philly manager, had no idea what Basel was

2) they clearly trade between dealers to sell everything at grey prices. When Called out they had no idea how to respond

So...because of the above obvious no goes above, I would never, in a million years, ever recommend anyone to do business with them.

They are not in the business to provide customers with watches, they are in the business of scamming average joes to buy datejusts / other brands they hold OR buy their grey market prices. I know this because I’ve been there twice and every time he tried pushing me to buy either a white gold Daytona / their blue skydweller for 22k
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:57 AM   #7
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I believe there is an actual service center there. My watch got sent there from
Colorado for service and they did an excellent job on it. It was a ceramic sub with some not so good aftermarket parts. They fixed it all and sent my watch back in brand new condition. I’d recommend going that direction.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=586272

There is the thread with the information and address. I’m not sure how close it is, but they are good.

Last edited by csfischer20; 22 February 2019 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Adding more info to post
csfischer20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 11:00 AM   #8
thui0708
Banned

My friend in PA tell me go visit them. Appreciated with the news since I have an appointment with them tomorrow. I will save my trip there.
Old 22 February 2019, 11:04 AM   #9
iwenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smorgasbord
There’s a RSC-ish place in Lititz, which is a bit outside Philadelphia. I believe it’s a Rolex training site, but I’ve heard good things about them. I don’t know if you can send your watch there directly, but I’m happy to recommend my AD to you (so they can send it) if you’d like to DM me
Old 22 February 2019, 10:33 PM   #10
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
There are quite a few AD in / around Philadelphia that have in-house great watchmakers. Nice thing is they have a Rolex parts account.

I haven’t used Govberg myself.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 11:19 PM   #11
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Go onto the Rolex web site and look at the AD's the area and call a few to see if they service inhouse. I would contact the RSC in Dallas and go through the process of sending the watch to them. They will send you the box and packaging material and you cut the middle man out for both profit and communication. In the end, it will cost the same, depending on what needs to be done and the service times will be close. You will also get service papers from RSC and a warranty. Just my thoughts.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 11:41 PM   #12
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwenger View Post
There’s a RSC-ish place in Lititz, which is a bit outside Philadelphia. I believe it’s a Rolex training site, but I’ve heard good things about them. I don’t know if you can send your watch there directly, but I’m happy to recommend my AD to you (so they can send it) if you’d like to DM me
No. You can not send a watch to Lititz. It takes overflow work from RSC Dallas and NYC.
OP, either send your piece to one of the RSC or to a reputable independent like Time Care Inc. in Florida. There is no reason you should have to find someone local as that is not always possible. Watches get mailed to other parts of the country all the time.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 01:24 AM   #13
jburson250
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
No. You can not send a watch to Lititz.
True. But an AD can.

My AD's done it for two of my watches. Excellent results, both times.

Both were under the new watch warranty, so no cost to me - not even shipping. The OP's watch is not, so I'd assume he'd have to pay for shipping, in addition to repairs.

Info:
https://lititzwatchtechnicum.org/sawta/

Explorer 214270.
Sea-Dweller 126600.
Sea-Dweller Deepsea 126660 Black.
Submariner 5512.
PAM 514 Radiomir 1940.
Railmaster XXL 2806.52.37.
Speedmaster Moonphase 304.33.44.52.01.001.
RIP JJ
jburson250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 01:29 AM   #14
Foxiness
"TRF" Member

Govberg: a rep straight up told me the boss takes the SS models. They probably resell it as used at grey prices in their used section. At least they were upfront about it
Foxiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 01:31 AM   #15
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
There are quite a few AD in / around Philadelphia that have in-house great watchmakers. Nice thing is they have a Rolex parts account.

I haven’t used Govberg myself.
Who? I'm interested. I know Bernie Robbins used to have a tech, but when they moved they got rid of it/him.

I've never had a bad experience at Govberg (suburban square), I actually put down a deposit on a 15300 there a while back and changed my mind. No hard sale/pressure etc.
Govberg doesn't service it themselves. They send it in to NY RSC, I picked up my father in law's DJ 5 or so years ago there for him.

OP, I needed a new crystal on my OP39 a year ago and I sent it myself to NY RSC, it was easy enough. Reach out to them and they'll provide instructions.
Old 23 February 2019, 01:43 AM   #16
RichM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
OP, call the RSC in NYC and have them email you the mailing instructions and just sent it to them. You’ll have it back in 4/6 weeks looking like new. They did a great job on my “P” serial OP.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 01:53 AM   #17
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Suck it up and send it straight to Dallas or NY RSC. I had a very bad experience with ECJ Luxe (an authorized AP dealer) and they really f*cked my watch up. Put major dents in the case and bezel and damaged the hands. To make it worse, they claimed I sent the watch to them in that condition even though I have pictures to show otherwise AND notes from one of the employees stating the condition of the watch was mint when it arrived. Trying to save a few dollars isn't worth the hassle if something like this happens to you. Learn from my mistakes. Just go directly to a RSC.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 03:41 AM   #18
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

It's interesting. Govberg also told me over the phone they send to NYC but told other members here they onsite watchmakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Who? I'm interested. I know Bernie Robbins used to have a tech, but when they moved they got rid of it/him.

I've never had a bad experience at Govberg (suburban square), I actually put down a deposit on a 15300 there a while back and changed my mind. No hard sale/pressure etc.
Govberg doesn't service it themselves. They send it in to NY RSC, I picked up my father in law's DJ 5 or so years ago there for him.

OP, I needed a new crystal on my OP39 a year ago and I sent it myself to NY RSC, it was easy enough. Reach out to them and they'll provide instructions.
Old 23 February 2019, 03:44 AM   #19
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxiness View Post
Govberg: a rep straight up told me the boss takes the SS models. They probably resell it as used at grey prices in their used section. At least they were upfront about it

Wouldn’t surprise me as he owns WatchBox.
Old 10 April 2019, 05:12 AM   #20
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Apparently, Govberg is now mailing pretty much everything to RSC.

When I called, the lady who answered the phone told me, "all Rolex watch servicing is shipped to Rolex NYC". When I asked about their in-house watchmakers, she said they are busy with Watch Box.
Old 10 April 2019, 05:26 AM   #21
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catching Chrome View Post
I have a 1997 Date Just that is in need of service. I can no longer wind it and when I give it a light shake the second hand moves in reverse. Looking for a reputable repair facility near philadelphia. If anyone has any experience or can recommend one I would appreciate it.
I use an AD in Princeton NJ. Very knowledgeable. The overhall for my 16610 which went 17 years without a service was like 800.00. Took 2 months to get back. I believe the watch maker is trained by rolex so done in-house.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 06:04 AM   #22
RFBHD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona116518GMTLN
Go to any AD and have it sent to Dallas or do it yourself. It seems to be the favorite for most ADs now over NYC...
RFBHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 09:56 AM   #23
Artp1086
Banned

Once Claudio became the manager $$$ is their god. They used to care about the customers
Artp1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 11:11 AM   #24
T4ME
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=dkg1616;9372491]1) staff is extremely un-knowledgeable of the Rolex brand - point in case when Greg, the downtown Philly manager, had no idea what Basel was

Would need to challenge this, they had a Basel release reception last year... everyone down to the guard was nice.... never brought anything from them. I did not get a bad vibe when visiting.
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 11:59 AM   #25
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
[QUOTE=T4ME;9529535]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
1) staff is extremely un-knowledgeable of the Rolex brand - point in case when Greg, the downtown Philly manager, had no idea what Basel was

Would need to challenge this, they had a Basel release reception last year... everyone down to the guard was nice.... never brought anything from them. I did not get a bad vibe when visiting.
I’d have to agree with this, I can’t vouch for their sales practices, but Tim Mosso is probably on of the most knowledgeable watch guys you can find.

Last edited by Ticknaway; 10 April 2019 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: One of the
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 01:06 PM   #26
csj
"TRF" Member

STAY AWAY FROM GOVBERG.

Of all ADs, Boutiques, and Greys I have visited over the years, they are BY FAR the rudest, and most unwelcoming sales people I have ever experienced. They have no interest in helping you no matter what the reason you are there for, and when they do it is a very unpleasant experience. This is true whether it be a purchase, watch service, or simply just browsing. Greg is by far the worst of them all, however the rest of their staff isn't much better...

What is even more concerning, in my opinion, is the fact that they also have no idea how to change straps on watches they are authorized to carry (although they aren't authorized anymore but were at the time)... Very displeasing to have an AP's lugs and side of case scratched to shit when putting on a rubber bracelet.

I have vowed never to step foot in Govberg or any of their sister businesses ever again! Be warned!

I do however acknowledge and admit that Tim Mosso is probably one of the most knowledgeable people I have come across in the industry. Frankly I do not understand why he works there, he is of a much different and higher calibre.
csj is offline   Reply With Quote