The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2017, 11:43 AM   #1
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Incoming 🌼 Teak Furniture!

We just received our Teak Patio furniture from Goldenteak.com, some assembly required.

(1) Teak Dining Table 36 in Square Bistro
(4) Teak Stacking Chair with arms - Ventura Regatta

I plan to use Teak Oil on them before I assemble them and understand this should be reapplied yearly.

Question for TRF Members:
What Teal Oil do you use and why do you like it?

Thanks in Advance for your comments!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170525_181916_01.jpg (55.6 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170525_181752_01.jpg (75.5 KB, 288 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Larry, would love to help you with a good teak oil but I can't. We had a teak set for 26 years and I never once oiled it. We just let it turn silver. It's a personal choice but the nice thing about teak is it will stand up to the weather naked if you want. Enjoy your new set.

Brenngun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:59 PM   #3
swils8610

Teak is beautiful. I used to oil teak on boats during high school. Sadly I don't remember the brand I used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 02:12 PM   #4
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Hey Bnalion

Heard that Briwax Teak Oil best for indoor & outdoor,
https://www.amazon.com/Briwax-Teak-O...i_ss_tl&sr=8-9

No personal experience.

Good Luck. New furniture always fun! DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 03:11 PM   #5
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Wow Larry please post more pics when you finish them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 03:28 PM   #6
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Larry,
Something amusing about most of your posts.

Good luck putting your chairs together
Old 26 May 2017, 07:12 PM   #7
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Larry

Do not oil teak furniture.

Teak is highly prized and will last forever whether it is oiled or not.

If you just leave it, it will turn silver which is really attractive.

If you apply teak oil, it will look as new for a couple of years and then it will start to develop some black streaks in the grain which will look awful and the only way to overcome this is to apply more oil. Once you oil, you have to carry on oiling in order to preserve the looks.

I have a teak bench seat which I bought from an old man in his eighties about 30 years ago. He bought it in 1955 and it has been outside in the elements every day of its life and it still looks good. It has never had a drop of oil on it in its life.

I also have a garden dining table plus 8 chairs which are 25 years old and are a mixture of teak and iroko. None of them have been oiled and they look excellent.

Oiling teak is a major mistake.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 07:41 PM   #8
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
We a couple of teak chaise lounges on our deck never put a drop of oil and let them weather grey I'm a big fan of maintenance free! But the stuff is super durable and lasts for many years but as I'm sure your about to find out its extremely heavy

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 07:44 PM   #9
MonBK
Banned

Sounds to me that the important question is do you want your furniture to look the way you bought them or do you prefer the shabby look?

I've been working with teak on my boats for the past 50 years so have a little bit of experience.

Use any quality quality teak oil from a marine store and add it on sparingly with a rag or sponge.
Let it sit a while and then wipe them dry with a clean rag.

Fatty teak attracts dust/sot from the air and that is what develops into discoloring and is easy to wash off.

As you can hear I'm all for the "teak look" which I assume you are as well?

If you wanted shabby, weathered gray wood you could have bought pine or fur for half the price.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:30 PM   #10
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I had teak furniture. I prefer the rich browns of teak, not the opaque silver. Oil will bring out the grain and reveal the depth of the wood. There is no comparison between the beauty of oiled teak and silvered teak IMO.

Use a good tung oil. Tung oil doesn't darken with age. And you cannot beat the finish of properly applied tung oil, even when compared to modern synthetics. I used Formby's on teak, white oak, and cherry furniture with excellent results when I was making furniture..

FWIW, if you prefer silver, cedar is much cheaper and will last about as long.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:48 PM   #11
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Simple watco teak oil by rustoleum has been working for me. Takes a little bit of time to do, but it's worth it to me.
Apply it over grass areas. Not over blue stone or pavers etc, may leave a mark and stain, and wear old clothes for same reason.
Let's see pics when done and assembled
Old 26 May 2017, 10:22 PM   #12
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Incoming Teak Furniture! 🌼 Please Help...

Did that all fit in the back of a Cayman??

We have a teak table on our patio. It is from Costco.

This is our second year with it as it was brand new last year. It ended up getting silver towards the end of last year and it developed black streaks in the grain. Overall was a poor look.
My wife wanted to take it back and get a metal table. I (and the son of a carpenter) said no way. I will fix it.

I read a thousand articles and pretty much all said don't use teak oil or any oil, I do not recall why. It said to clean it with a combination of tsp and water and hose it off. Once dry apply this stuff.

So we did. The result is what you see. I am not a chemist and have never owned a teak filled boat so I was just being a good Google sheep.

If applying teak or tongue oil sparing will keep it looking like this with no annual scrubbing and reapplication of the Teak Shield I am all ears. Please tell me what to use and how as the wife wants it to look like this and I want may fall Saturday back to scout my food plots and deer.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 12:58 AM   #13
BNA/LION

Incoming Teak Furniture! 🌼 Please Help...

My understanding is the wood needs to sit for a few weeks for the pours and grain to open and the sun helps this process too.

QUESTION: Would you Assemble the chairs and table then oil them -OR- oil them while they are in pieces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Hey Bnalion
No personal experience.
Thanks, I’ll check this one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwwjd View Post
Wow Larry please post more pics when you finish them!
Will do…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Larry,
Something amusing about most of your posts.
Good luck putting your chairs together
Thanks Mark! I am glad I can be a source of amusement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Sounds to me that the important question is do you want your furniture to look the way you bought them or do you prefer the shabby look?
I've been working with teak on my boats for the past 50 years so have a little bit of experience.
Use any quality quality teak oil from a marine store and add it on sparingly with a rag or sponge.
Let it sit a while and then wipe them dry with a clean rag.
Fatty teak attracts dust/sot from the air and that is what develops into discoloring and is easy to wash
off.
As you can hear I'm all for the "teak look" which I assume you are as well?
Yep! I prefer to see the luster and grain of the wood. This set is getting oiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I had teak furniture. I prefer the rich browns of teak, not the opaque silver. Oil will bring out the grain and reveal the depth of the wood. There is no comparison between the beauty of oiled teak and silvered teak IMO.
Use a good tung oil. Tung oil doesn't darken with age. And you cannot beat the finish of properly applied tung oil, even when compared to modern synthetics. I used Formby's on teak, white oak, and cherry furniture with excellent results when I was making furniture..
FWIW, if you prefer silver, cedar is much cheaper and will last about as long.
I will look into Formby's Tung Oil… Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Simple watco teak oil by rustoleum has been working for me. Takes a little bit of time to do, but it's worth it to me.
Apply it over grass areas. Not over blue stone or pavers etc, may leave a mark and stain, and wear old clothes for same reason.
Let's see pics when done and assembled
Good tips, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post

This is our second year with it as it was brand new last year. It ended up getting silver towards the end of last year and it developed black streaks in the grain. Overall was a poor look.
My wife wanted to take it back and get a metal table. I (and the son of a carpenter) said no way. I will fix it.

I read a thousand articles and pretty much all said don't use teak oil or any oil, I do not recall why. It said to clean it with a combination of tsp and water and hose it off. Once dry apply this stuff.

So we did. The result is what you see. I am not a chemist and have never owned a teak filled boat so I was just being a good Google sheep.

If applying teak or tongue oil sparing will keep it looking like this with no annual scrubbing and reapplication of the Teak Shield I am all ears. Please tell me what to use and how as the wife wants it to look like this and I want may fall Saturday back to scout my food plots and deer.
I'll look into this one too. Thanks!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Old 27 May 2017, 01:33 AM   #14
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:

It's a water based acrylic (synthetic). I think you're stuck with it now. An oil over the top of this won't penetrate.
Old 27 May 2017, 01:40 AM   #15
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I used Star Brite Teak Oil. Available at Home Depot
Old 27 May 2017, 01:40 AM   #16
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
It's a water based acrylic (synthetic). I think you're stuck with it now. An oil over the top of this won't penetrate.

I am just assuming I will have to TSP clean it again this fall. If so I think that will open it up again and I may try to oil it then.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 07:03 AM   #17
BNA/LION

Incoming �� Teak Furniture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Hey Bnalion

No personal experience.

THANKS! After some research I placed an order for the Briwax Teak Oil.

I decided to wait to I assemble the chairs and table until I get the oil. I think it might be better to have all the unexposed area covered with oil before it is assembled.

Old 28 May 2017, 07:10 AM   #18
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
I am just assuming I will have to TSP clean it again this fall. If so I think that will open it up again and I may try to oil it then.

Avoid linseed oil. I tends to darken.

Mon's advice to buy from a marine store is good. The oil is formulated for outdoor applications. Some teak products are formulated for indoor use. You'll want to avoid those.
Old 28 May 2017, 07:16 AM   #19
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Avoid linseed oil. I tends to darken.

Mon's advice to buy from a marine store is good. The oil is formulated for outdoor applications. Some teak products are formulated for indoor use. You'll want to avoid those.
Yes, most boats are outdoors under the sun and in saltwater, at least the ones I've owned.
Old 28 May 2017, 12:56 PM   #20
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

There's over 13 million boats in the US and a very large majority are fresh water not salt and most of those are pulled out of the water during off season--the real question is how many are fiberglass not needing this oil and how many Fiberglass boats just sit in the back yard wasting away.

Sorry Larry, no hijac I hope your chairs last forever in the California sun ☀️
Old 28 May 2017, 03:56 PM   #21
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
There's over 13 million boats in the US and a very large majority are fresh water not salt and most of those are pulled out of the water during off season--the real question is how many are fiberglass not needing this oil and how many Fiberglass boats just sit in the back yard wasting away.

You are right, what was I thinking!
Old 29 May 2017, 04:32 AM   #22
BNA/LION

Incoming Teak Furniture! �� Please Help...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
You are right, what was I thinking!
Sooooo, Now I'm all confused. Am I doing the "wrong thing"? This product says it is for Outdoor Use and has good reviews. I don't want a coating that produces a liquor/dry cracking like I have seen on boat wood before. There are so many different opinions here and on the internet.

The Teak oil is a blend of oils that will penetrate, seal and finish a wide variety of woods and veneered surfaces. It is specially formulated for teak, which is difficult to finish. The satin finish enhances the natural beauty of wood. Briwax Teak Oil is often used on outdoor furniture.
There are many copies of Teak Oil, and many alternative oil-based finishes including the traditional linseed and tung oil based products. However, most of these products are 'wet' oils – they never harden completely. This can leave them prone to collecting dirt. Briwax Teak Oil is a hardening oil. Once dry, it is durable and waterproof.

DIRECTIONS:To achieve a good finish, ensure that the wood is dry and free from contaminants such as grease and wax. Lightly sand, apply Teak Oil liberally with a clean dry rag or brush. On new wood, 2 or 3 coats will be necessary. The more coats you use, the better the final gloss will be. Allow 4 to 8 hours drying time between coats depending on temperature and conditions. Teak Oil can be used as a stand-alone finish or be over coated with Briwax. Use mineral spirits to clean brushes.

Old 29 May 2017, 04:37 AM   #23
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Buy IKEA, they don't need some kind of oil.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 05:39 AM   #24
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post

Sooooo, Now I'm all confused. Am I doing the "wrong thing"? This product says it is for Outdoor Use and has good reviews. I don't want a coating that produces a liquor/dry cracking like I have seen on boat wood before. There are so many different opinions here and on the internet.

The Teak oil is a blend of oils that will penetrate, seal and finish a wide variety of woods and veneered surfaces. It is specially formulated for teak, which is difficult to finish. The satin finish enhances the natural beauty of wood. Briwax Teak Oil is often used on outdoor furniture.
There are many copies of Teak Oil, and many alternative oil-based finishes including the traditional linseed and tung oil based products. However, most of these products are 'wet' oils – they never harden completely. This can leave them prone to collecting dirt. Briwax Teak Oil is a hardening oil. Once dry, it is durable and waterproof.

DIRECTIONS:To achieve a good finish, ensure that the wood is dry and free from contaminants such as grease and wax. Lightly sand, apply Teak Oil liberally with a clean dry rag or brush. On new wood, 2 or 3 coats will be necessary. The more coats you use, the better the final gloss will be. Allow 4 to 8 hours drying time between coats depending on temperature and conditions. Teak Oil can be used as a stand-alone finish or be over coated with Briwax. Use mineral spirits to clean brushes.
My reply to him was a sarcastic remark to his nonsense mumbo jumbo.
Old 29 May 2017, 07:06 AM   #25
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post

Interesting marketing material.

The USAF uses linseed oil on the wood of flatbed trailer decks in the middle east. It doesn't collect any dust. And that place is pretty dusty. It does darken though.

My patio furniture is all Formby's Tung oil from Lowes. It doesn't harbor dust either. If you apply the oil correctly you won't have any trouble. I think you're overthinking this.