The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 May 2017, 01:05 AM   #31
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I have been passively looking for work in AZ. Wife and I love Tucson and Phoenix areas. I have a work deal in Tucson every March for many years now so have spent quite a bit of time there. We usually do something in Phoenix/Scottsdale every year too. A lot more action/opportunities in the Phoenix area, but we actually may prefer Tucson.

I really like the desert!

If the right gig pops up we will make the move.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 01:05 AM   #32
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Thanks for all the responses !! Some awesome feedback ! I knew I could count on you guys to give me some advice / create a discussion on my move haha
I visit mostly around march / may time period so I've really never experienced a "summer" there. From what my cousins told me, their summer is like our winter. You stay indoors in the ac during the summer months. I just find it amazing that the weather is always sunny. They said they have dust storms, and occasional monsoons ( I was actually there when one of them happened ) but I'd take that over rain 3-4 times a week, and snow any day of the week.

Go for it man!!!! You are young, single and only live once. What's the big deal if you get out there and after a couple summers you decide it's just too hot???? At least you have family there. You find an opportunity in San Diego and can become Paul's roommate???

I am assuming that you have sufficient funds saved up to move and set up a home without having an income source in the short term??

I am married and 41 and have 2 kids. Much harder decision for us to decide to move from illinois to Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 01:14 AM   #33
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

A bit too hot and far from the sea for me, but, everyone is different. If there's a good job out there for you, why not? You don't seem very happy where you are (though that might just be CT's fault....).

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 01:39 AM   #34
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Went to school in Tucson and spend a few weeks a year in the phoenix/Scottsdale area. Lots of people from SoCal have made the move. I LOVE AZ 9 months out of the year but just cant be that far away from the ocean for a primary residence.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 07:34 AM   #35
drm20

Watch: Just one more
I moved from N Cal to Scottsdale about 3 years ago. It was tough at first as I loved where I was from but I have gotten used to it and have started to really like it. I'm in the North Scottsdale area. Great schools, restaurants, shops, etc. It's very clean and easy to get around (don't miss the CA traffic). The summers are pretty crazy but somehow you get used to them, at least I have...I'd rather be hot than cold. There are about 7-8 months of just great weather. We will end up somewhere by the beach but for now I like this! Good luck!
drm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 11:23 AM   #36
AP8ESQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Never thought about heading west but in light of CT's current financial "issues" I will say this appears to be a good time to make a move before more businesses exit and taxes go up (again) and wish you the best!
AP8ESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 02:33 PM   #37
armen34
"TRF" Member

Gilbert is nice but if you can afford Scottsdale go for it. It may be better for a single guy.
armen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 08:40 PM   #38
joe100

Watch: Explorer
The left coast is nice if you like to be left alone. PHX has always been a little too conservative for me, read stuffy. It's like a desert Boca Raton. I prefer The LA, San Diego area or Albuquerque/Santa Fe. Can't beat the Arizona weather and the Arizona views though.

Sadly I'm trapped in NC for work, but at the first opportunity I'm moving back to New Mexico. Lately I've been spending my weekends in ABQ and Santa Fe.
Old 17 May 2017, 10:27 PM   #39
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by armen34 View Post
Gilbert is nice but if you can afford Scottsdale go for it. It may be better for a single guy.
You must be counting wealthy retired cougars and sugar daddies that are on the hunt to the singles market!! Scottsdale doesn't strike me as a booming place for singles.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 02:26 AM   #40
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
The left coast is nice if you like to be left alone. PHX has always been a little too conservative for me, read stuffy. It's like a desert Boca Raton. I prefer The LA, San Diego area or Albuquerque/Santa Fe. Can't beat the Arizona weather and the Arizona views though.

Sadly I'm trapped in NC for work, but at the first opportunity I'm moving back to New Mexico. Lately I've been spending my weekends in ABQ and Santa Fe.
ever been to tinker town?

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 03:16 AM   #41
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

We almost moved to Phoenix but ended up in LA. Previously lived in Washington, DC. We only spent a week in Phoenix/Scottsdale in May 2015 and liked it. Now that we live walking distances to beaches, short drive to hiking, and an hour and a half away from skiing I don't see us ever moving back to the East Coast. Love Northern California as well. Half moon bay, SF bay area... once you're out West, explore California.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 04:15 AM   #42
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
I lived most of my life in AZ. Depending on how much you like a big city and your profession you may consider Tucson too.

Go to the town you want to live and tour the different neighborhoods get a feel for the people, traffic, shopping, etc. Spend some​ time before you sign a lease. Good Luck!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 05:15 AM   #43
johnny80s
"TRF" Member

Have had a place in north Scottsdale since 2012.Absolutely love it. Looking forward to being out there full time in 3 1/2 years. Once I leave Chicago I don't think I'll come back.
johnny80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 02:32 AM   #44
theken
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
I lived in Arizona for 15 years with homes in N. Scottsdale, Fountain Hills and Payson.
I hope we will have time to discuss at the Pittsburgh GTG.
theken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 03:00 AM   #45
Case61

My wife and I retired to Tucson a few years ago from a cold weather climate and absolutely love it. Nine months of the year it's paradise (60's-80's, blue sky every day), and the summer isn't all that bad except on the very worst days. Usually pleasant in the early morning and evenings--the desert cools off quickly.

However, if you're still working I don't know what opportunities there are here. Outside of the U of A, there's not a lot of economic activity in Tucson.
Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 03:50 AM   #46
thewatching
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM510, SKX007
I lived in Tucson for 12 years, originally from KS and now in Boulder, CO after a stint in the Bay Area. My in-laws and a lot of my family still resides in AZ so I find my way out there often. In Phoenix now in fact. My biggest gripe is the heat–it's bad, like unbelievably bad, and for much of the year. Yes it's dry, but so is my oven and I don't want to live in that turned up to 120 (at night). I enjoy visiting in the winter, but it's miserable otherwise. My daughter literally burnt her arm yesterday on the seatbelt and I remember plastic parts on my car melting in the sun.

Tucson is generally about 10deg cooler throughout the year, but it's regarded as the buttcrack of the US for a reason. Virtually no opportunity economically, lots of crime/drugs and bad schools for the kiddos. Generalizing some I know. South Tucson is consistently ranked amongst the most crime ridden places in the country, avoid at all costs. I just visited my brother in Tucson yesterday and while it makes a nice 2-day stop, I would NEVER consider moving my family of 5 back there. My wife was born and raised in Phoenix and her parents and only sister still live here and she says the same thing.

I just saw a headline that Phoenix is the fastest growing city in the US, beating out NY and LA, so I guess you're in good company. Until the water runs out...

YMMV.

thewatching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 07:59 AM   #47
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewatching View Post
I lived in Tucson for 12 years, originally from KS and now in Boulder, CO after a stint in the Bay Area. My in-laws and a lot of my family still resides in AZ so I find my way out there often. In Phoenix now in fact. My biggest gripe is the heat–it's bad, like unbelievably bad, and for much of the year. Yes it's dry, but so is my oven and I don't want to live in that turned up to 120 (at night). I enjoy visiting in the winter, but it's miserable otherwise. My daughter literally burnt her arm yesterday on the seatbelt and I remember plastic parts on my car melting in the sun.

Tucson is generally about 10deg cooler throughout the year, but it's regarded as the buttcrack of the US for a reason. Virtually no opportunity economically, lots of crime/drugs and bad schools for the kiddos. Generalizing some I know. South Tucson is consistently ranked amongst the most crime ridden places in the country, avoid at all costs. I just visited my brother in Tucson yesterday and while it makes a nice 2-day stop, I would NEVER consider moving my family of 5 back there. My wife was born and raised in Phoenix and her parents and only sister still live here and she says the same thing.

I just saw a headline that Phoenix is the fastest growing city in the US, beating out NY and LA, so I guess you're in good company. Until the water runs out...

YMMV.

I'll take it upon myself to speak on behalf of the proud, happy and content Tucson residents...You should stay in Lafayette Co.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:19 AM   #48
thewatching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post
I'll take it upon myself to speak on behalf of the proud, happy and content Tucson residents...You should stay in Lafayette Co.

Don't have to tell me twice!

In all seriousness, OP if you haven't already I'd suggest pouring over City-Data re the move–tons of helpful threads with varying perspectives. I've found it invaluable when deliberating past relo's e.g. http://www.city-data.com/forum/tucson/ and http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoenix-area/

Old 29 May 2017, 08:24 AM   #49
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Moving from CT to AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewatching View Post
...Tucson is generally about 10deg cooler throughout the year, but it's regarded as the buttcrack of the US for a reason. Virtually no opportunity economically, lots of crime/drugs and bad schools for the kiddos. Generalizing some I know. South Tucson is consistently ranked amongst the most crime ridden places in the country, avoid at all costs. I just visited my brother in Tucson yesterday and while it makes a nice 2-day stop, I would NEVER consider moving my family of 5 back there. My wife was born and raised in Phoenix and her parents and only sister still live here and she says the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post
X2!

A few terrible places to live in Tucson, AZ;

http://www.ventanacanyonclub.com/

https://www.lapalomacc.com/

http://skylinecountryclub.com/ - - - - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aznhR4y1gZI

http://www.tucsoncountryclub.com/

Scary Mall! https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...3DBPkQoioIcjAN
----- Scroll on the pictures on the left...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlCYc9fv0P0

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 09:37 AM   #50
thewatching
"TRF" Member

Aweee, the second pic in your Google maps link (Bluepoint Kitchen & Bar) is where I met my wife some 13 years ago–just a couple servers destined for love :) Too bad they tore that place down. I may choose to live elsewhere now, but I no doubt have some wonderful memories from my time in Tucson.