The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2011, 12:47 PM   #1
union special
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 RED/5513 GILT
Please help!! definitive answers needed on U.S. customs policies for Rolex

so a few days ago I posted about a dial and hands being stuck in u.s. customs. I finally got them after a little hassle..(the sting ray dial).. The Rolex dial was inspected and passed by customs.It was declared "Rolex dial"

I have never had a problem receiving Rolex dials or other parts from overseas.

I am aware of the Rolex USA trade agreement stopping Rolex items from entering the U.S. and have read and heard so much conflicting information.

I just purchased a really beat up PCG sub from the U.K.. It is non operational and pretty knarly. I shipped this watch in 2 different fedex boxes, one with the dial, hands and movement. The other box has the case, case-back, and bracelet. I did this to insure that the value was covered and to avoid having a complete watch shipped and avoid a hassle. I called fedex and talked to a "customs expert" and he stated that I can ship used rolex parts into the u.s.. The shipping invoice the shipper sent stated "used /vintage watch parts - swiss made movement , dial and hands - non operational".

Fedex now stopped the shipment in the U.K. requiring a watch deceleration form before letting leave the U.K.
Is this considered a watch even in an incomplete broken state? No one seems to have the answer. I've been waiting to hear back from fedex again.

Of coarse it's almost impossible to call U.S. customs directly. I am not trying to avoid paying duty, I just want to make sure that I can leagally ship this into the U.S. I came across a few threads here and on MWR that state that it is ok to ship used Rolex parts into the u.s. and ok to state that they are used rolex parts.

What is the real truth? should i not ship this at all? Will my packages get seized?

Please urgently advise if anyone has answers.

Thanks in advance!
union special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 01:15 PM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Let's keep this to one thread please.!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 09:24 PM   #3
buke45
Banned

Watch: Your Butt
There is always that risk when ever Rolex parts or watches are shipped to the US:(
buke45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 11:08 PM   #4
smallcandle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Omega PO
Dealing with any carrier when it comes to international shipping is frustrating to say the least. I've been doing it for over 17 years. All I could suggest (if you intend to continue importing and exporting) is to make a local FedEx contact and rely on them for answers. In any event, be prepared to deal with this issue time and time again...

Things got out of control and I had to stab a clown...
smallcandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2011, 05:39 AM   #5
union special
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 RED/5513 GILT
the bad news..

I talked with a New York based supervisor for the watches and jewelry division of U.S. customs and border protection today. He took all the information, and researched the law, and even contacted a lawyer for Rolex USA. He called me back in a few hours. He told me that any product, regardless of age, bearing the Rolex mark is subject to seizure by U.S. customs due to the Trademark agreement with Rolex USA. This does not mean it will happen every time, as some inspection agents will not know the law and just pass the item, but if it does get inspected and the inspecting agent hands it to a supervisor that it will be seized, and not returned. Legally it is not possible to ship anything Rolex into the U.S...... Crap... I have to make some other arrangements..
union special is offline   Reply With Quote