The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 May 2017, 04:30 AM   #61
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I am having a blast in a 155 HP, 2100 lb Mazda MX-5 RF. It goes plenty fast enough and handles the corners like a dream. An absolute joy to drive.

One caveat, you need to be under about 6'1" be comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 May 2017, 04:43 AM   #62
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
I am having a blast in a 155 HP, 2100 lb Mazda MX-5 RF. It goes plenty fast enough and handles the corners like a dream. An absolute joy to drive.
Kudos to your sound and practical selection. When I had my slightly modified BMW 2002/115HP (back in the mid-1970s) I could easily blow-off a 280Z or 911 on winding country roads. On the highways, it was another story but any knucklehead can drive fast with a lead-foot and maximum engine displacements/configurations. The Highway Patrol will attest to that.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 04:53 AM   #63
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Kudos to your sound and practical selection. When I had my slightly modified BMW 2002/115HP (back in the mid-1970s) I could easily blow-off a 280Z or 911 on winding country roads. On the highways, it was another story but any knucklehead can drive fast with a lead-foot and maximum engine displacements/configurations. The Highway Patrol will attest to that.

I live in NJ. There is no place to use lots of HP. I have a lot of fun on the curved back roads and exit and entrance ramps to the highway.

Old 29 May 2017, 05:05 AM   #64
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
In light of the increasing traffic gridlock just to meander through countless boulevards and traffic signals on the way to various mundane strip malls, owning a 500HP+ automobile borders on the ludicrous. My Subaru Outback adequately suffices in terms of getting from Point A to Point B.

While I love and admire fast cars, they are no longer practical given the overall congestion permeating the streets today. What's the point of having a car you can never get out of second gear while running ordinary errands? I experienced the same conundrum during the late 1980s while owning/driving a 911. Eventually switched to a Volvo 240 and while it was an incredibly boring vehicle, the aggravation of not being able to fully enjoy a screaming roadster was greatly eliminated (along with reduced insurance rates).

A lot of this depends on where one lives and its open road availability/options. There's a neighbor down the street who owns an AC Cobra/427 and he rarely gets to maximize its potential. The car is more of a 'show-off' middle-aged boulevard cruiser (along with his Rolex Daytona) and oftentimes subject to sardonic ridicule amongst the more earthy residents of our small Marin County enclave.
Sounds like uve got an agenda, or you are justifying your own thoughts. Which I can appreciate.

But both my cars are 400+ hp, and I find a ton of opportunity to partake in opening them up. I put a lot of mikes on my daily. Near to 3,000 per month and I love having the power.

And the weekender has seen a few road trips already. In fact we just got back from AC. The trip to and from might have been my favorite part.

The point I originally tried to make is that it's not all about HP. A car needs to have everything as well in order to be true quality automobile.

The HP wars appear to be forgetting about handling, and even brakes.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 05:05 AM   #65
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I live in NJ. There is no place to use lots of HP. I have a lot of fun on the curved back roads and exit and entrance ramps to the highway.

I live in NJ as well. I find tons of opportunities to open up.

Old 29 May 2017, 05:08 AM   #66
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
The point I originally tried to make is that it's not all about HP. A car needs to have everything as well in order to be true quality automobile.

The HP wars appear to be forgetting about handling, and even brakes.
Well said.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 05:14 AM   #67
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
In light of the increasing traffic gridlock just to meander through countless boulevards and traffic signals on the way to various mundane strip malls, owning a 500HP+ automobile borders on the ludicrous. My Subaru Outback adequately suffices in terms of getting from Point A to Point B.

While I love and admire fast cars, they are no longer practical given the overall congestion permeating the streets today. What's the point of having a car you can never get out of second gear while running ordinary errands? I experienced the same conundrum during the late 1980s while owning/driving a 911. Eventually switched to a Volvo 240 and while it was an incredibly boring vehicle, the aggravation of not being able to fully enjoy a screaming roadster was greatly eliminated (along with reduced insurance rates).

A lot of this depends on where one lives and its open road availability/options. There's a neighbor down the street who owns an AC Cobra/427 and he rarely gets to maximize its potential. The car is more of a 'show-off' middle-aged boulevard cruiser (along with his Rolex Daytona) and oftentimes subject to sardonic ridicule amongst the more earthy residents of our small Marin County enclave.
I can't see this being a real problem. In a big city during rush hour maybe but other than that no.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 10:17 AM   #68
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I live in NJ as well. I find tons of opportunities to open up.

I go 85 mph everyday. I get there very quickly and use 155 hp when in the Mazda. At that point we are looking for police and slow moving traffic.

I love HP too, but I don't need it to speed or to have a ton of fun while driving.

Truth be told, I resisted buying this car because of the low horsepower. But now that I have it, it is definitely a fun ride. To each their own.

Old 29 May 2017, 10:59 AM   #69
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

You need to spec it up Kevin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg habu_engine.jpg (124.0 KB, 31 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 11:49 AM   #70
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 29 May 2017, 12:21 PM   #71
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I go 85 mph everyday. I get there very quickly and use 155 hp when in the Mazda. At that point we are looking for police and slow moving traffic.

I love HP too, but I don't need it to speed or to have a ton of fun while driving.

Truth be told, I resisted buying this car because of the low horsepower. But now that I have it, it is definitely a fun ride. To each their own.

I appreciate your perspective. And am a huge Mazda fan. I agree with you largely, and that is kind of part of the point of the op.

A more balanced car with less hp, still provides a ton of fun. Love the direction Mazda has been going in the last few years.

Old 29 May 2017, 01:36 PM   #72
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
You need to spec it up Kevin.

Yes, if I keep it long term, this could more HP for a few more G's!

Oops, umm, I don't need more HP! Lol

Old 29 May 2017, 02:56 PM   #73
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
My 06 Mustang with 4.6 V-8 was rated at 300HP stock....of course thats at the crankshaft not rear wheel. My guess would be with Auto Trans it would be around 250-255 RWHP
When I put it on a dyno last year it recorded 337 RWHP so that would be around 385 or so at the crank. Its no 5.0 with 435 But I can keep up with one to around 60mph or so before it pulls away. For me 400 RWHP would be all I could ever want.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote