The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 May 2017, 03:01 AM   #1
zack777es
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP PP Tudor
Icon7 Looking at a 5164A as First PP

Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking at a pre owned 5164A-001 (dated early 2014).
Everything looks good and am getting close to reaching a deal.

I already have an AP 15400ST blue dial, while it’s no 5711, I feel that it would be too similar in terms of wear, if i were to get the Nautilus, in addition to the 4-6K price difference to the 5164A.

Now, the Aquanaut Travel Time at its price point, would be something I can wear often, as well as taking over travel duties from my Pepsi 16710.

The 5164A slightly larger size compared to 5167 is somehow felt visually on my wrist.

On paper, it is only 0.8mm larger but the left pushers probably plays a part in it having a larger wrist presence in addition to giving it a more balanced look.

A few questions:
1. I know it’s rated at 120m. I regularly jump into the pool with any of my Rolexes without any hesitation. Can I do the same with the 5164A? Swimming is the only exercise I do when I travel so wouldn’t want to worry about leaving the watch in the hotel room safe etc.
2. Should I get it pressure tested?
3. Any other advice?

Thanks.
Old 23 May 2017, 03:19 AM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I also jumped into pools with my Rolexes, but try to avoid now that I have more expensive watches, except if you get it pressure tested regularly before flying, not that there are more risks, but if ever water gets in, the bill for the repair will be much more than for a Rolex...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 03:42 AM   #3
sprezzatura
"TRF" Member

Watch: Root Beer GMT
No jumping into the pool with these ones I'm afraid. Not because PPs are too dear or delicate for it, but as it is not something that one should do with watches that have extra pushers (no matter what the advertised water pressure resistance).

Now if you were asking about a 5167 or 5711, I would say jump right in as long as you have the seals checked on a regular basis. I know that there is a TRF member who dips his 5711p into the pool once every so often for good luck!
sprezzatura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 03:57 AM   #4
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 Fluted/Jub
I have swam with mine in pools and lakes on many many occasions while on vacation.

No issues. It's called the Aquanaut. Jump in. Just be sure it's service and seals are current. If it's preowned you never quite know. It's a 2014 so not old but not spankin new either anymore. Service is long and very expensive but you get back essentially a brand new factory watch. Perhaps until then don't swim with it but truth is it's probably fine.

I have yet to damage my aquanaut in any activity but it's off my wrist if doing something that might risk or damage it. Casual swimming is totally fine.

The movement in these watches is notably robust. It's the same movement in my Calatrava. Bullet proof.

Is the watch Rolex tough? I'd say no partly because it's finished nicer and more susceptible to damage. It's a Patek after all. More refined and a gentlemans watch from a superior manufacture.
Mitch105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 05:16 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The blue 15400 and 5164 are just about my perfect SS AP/PP pair here. I think the Aqua in aqua will be fine but as the guys say any problems can take months to resolve as PP is very slow, so I'd use your other watches first.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 05:39 AM   #6
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I love my 5164 however I don't take my Pateks into water. Sure it can probably take it but it's not an Oyster case. If I know I'll be jumping in a pool, I'll wear my GMTs.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 05:42 AM   #7
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

i wont go in the water with my 5164. I just have an aversion to taking a chance on a watch that costs so much. If I am swimming locally or my own pool -- not an issue but when traveling.. I either hide it in the room or put in the safe.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 06:15 AM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I agree with others about swimming with the Aquanaut. I wear my 5167A into the pool, but I keep my 5164A out of the water, mainly because of the pushers. The pushers can be sensitive and advance the hour hand accidentally even with routine wear.

However the 5164A is a great all around watch and would make for a fabulous first Patek watch.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 03:23 PM   #9
zack777es
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys!

Guys,

Thanks for the great feedback especially on opinions on using it in the pool.

I could just get a 5167 and be done with it, not to have to worry about any pushers when in the pool.
But I'm really hooked on the Travel Time, more drawn to its dial (globe within a globe) and the gmt function.

So I'm going to take Mitch's advice and not to use it in water till I get to send it over for a pressure test/service (which I'm told will take a 3 months turnaround time!).

Look out for an incoming
Old 23 May 2017, 10:07 PM   #10
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 Fluted/Jub
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack777es View Post
Guys,

Thanks for the great feedback especially on opinions on using it in the pool.

I could just get a 5167 and be done with it, not to have to worry about any pushers when in the pool.
But I'm really hooked on the Travel Time, more drawn to its dial (globe within a globe) and the gmt function.

So I'm going to take Mitch's advice and not to use it in water till I get to send it over for a pressure test/service (which I'm told will take a 3 months turnaround time!).

Look out for an incoming
Do you mean send it back to Patek for an official service? If so, it's painful to wait and some $$$ but... when the watch comes back it's virtually the same as new and you will have 100% confidence. Looking forward to see it.
Mitch105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 05:06 PM   #11
zack777es
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch105 View Post
Do you mean send it back to Patek for an official service? If so, it's painful to wait and some $$$ but... when the watch comes back it's virtually the same as new and you will have 100% confidence. Looking forward to see it.
Yup, going to give it some wrist time for a couple of months first before sending it over for service.

Actually it's on my wrist already.
Need to get a couple of good shots before starting a new incoming thread