The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Bigboss473
"TRF" Member

Newly purchased DJ II acting up

hows it going everyone about 3 days ago I like a fool got annoyed of the poor polish job on my previous DJ II and traded it plus cash for a newer unpolished DJ II with a different dial I figured why not since my goal watch to own in the end is DD. I noticed yesterday morning it had stopped prematurely an hour before midnight no big deal maybe I somehow forgot to wind it though I routinely give my watch 30-35 turns every morning. I gave it a good 25 turns and the second hand moved about 5 seconds stopped and after winding another 10 again another 4-5 seconds and stopped. I gently whirled it in my palm and it got going so I figured maybe it’s just been sitting on display I’ll wait to test it before I panic.. fast forward to today only 31 hours after last full wind I set the watch down expecting to see it at least flip over tonight at 12 and it’s stopped again losing about 20 minutes before I noticed. So again with the many turns to get it started for 5 seconds then stopping twice again during winding, I was able to capture it all this time I’m not sure how I can share the video as the site won’t let the clip upload but I’d appreciate any input greatly as my previous DJ never lost time unless I let it sit the whole 48hrs even then I’m used to within 10-15 turns of the 35 the watch starts right up smoothly no stopping so I’m suspicious something is going on sadly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 12301099-11D8-4368-9827-878F45E72D24.jpeg (144.6 KB, 764 views)
Bigboss473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 12:17 AM   #2
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’m sorry to hear this, but it sounds like it’s going to have to go for service. Still worth it considering you have what looks like a brand new watch there.
I have three DJ2’s and have never experienced the problem you speak of but it’ll be a simple fix I’m sure.
Is the watch still in warrenty?
GMT Aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 04:05 AM   #3
Bigboss473
"TRF" Member

So it’s not looking good I gave it the full 35 plus turns at about 8am yesterday and it stopped dead at 2:50am this morning. Really depressing because the watch like said is practically brand new but the serial comes back as 2010 and the warranty card I have isn’t dated. I wish I could upload the video I’ve tried a few times and different formats
Old 24 February 2020, 05:17 AM   #4
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Sorry to hear the the watch isn't running correctly, but send in for service and ask for no other services to the dial, hands, crystal, and no polishing. of case or bracelet.
Old 24 February 2020, 05:59 AM   #5
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
I had a similar problem with my DJ41 that I purchased new in 2017. When I wear the watch it runs fine and keeps accurate time. However, when I put the watch in my 6-way watch winder it loses as much as 10 minutes within 12 hours on the winder and continues to lose time but never stops completely while on the watch winder.

I took the watch out of the winder, let it run down then set the time, wound it 35 times and put in on the winder only to get the same result. Although the watch was still under warranty I traded the DJ41 on a 36mm TT Datejust.

While wearing the watch, it kept excellent time, it just seemed to lack staying power when on a watch winder that ran for 6 minutes, rested for 12 minutes, then repeated the cycle. All my other watches on the watch winder continue to keep excellent time -- maybe losing a minute if I don't wear the watch for a week or two.

Bottom line: I'd have the watch checked out by an authorized Rolex dealer where they will probably send the watch to a Rolex repair center.

Sorry for your issue and hope all works out as you own a beautiful watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 01:44 AM   #6
Bigboss473
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the advice and kind words I’m going today to my jeweler and will either have them service it or just get a different watch as they have newer model 41s as well. Just looking at the video I was wrong about the time, after fully winding which I don’t think currently works the watch’s power reserve lasted 12 hours exactly
Old 25 February 2020, 01:45 AM   #7
jon54
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboss473 View Post
Thank you for the advice and kind words I’m going today to my jeweler and will either have them service it or just get a different watch as they have newer model 41s as well. Just looking at the video I was wrong about the time, after fully winding which I don’t think currently works the watch’s power reserve lasted 12 hours exactly
That will be great.
jon54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:23 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
So it’s not looking good I gave it the full 35 plus turns at about 8am yesterday and it stopped dead at 2:50am this morning. Really depressing because the watch like said is practically brand new but the serial comes back as 2010 and the warranty card I have isn’t dated. I wish I could upload the video I’ve tried a few times and different formats
Well first it would depend on how you was winding it,as it needs at least 40 full crown turns clockwise only, as they only wind on a forward wind, and even after a wind might need a swirl to start.And just wearing does not always wind the watch its wrist activity movement what winds the watch.What is the serial if its got a single letter plus 6 numbers the serial for 2010 will be single letter G plus 6 numbers.Now if serial has a total of 8 digits mixture letters numbers its a random serial which started latter part of 2010 till present time.And on one of those machine thing so called winders, in general they will only top up to whatever the power-reserve was in the mainspring to start with,so before placing on a machine movement should be fully manually wound first.On a full manual wind movements like the 31 series should run between 39-48 hours give or take a hour or so either way off wrist.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:59 AM   #9
Bigboss473
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well first it would depend on how you was winding it,as it needs at least 40 full crown turns clockwise only, as they only wind on a forward wind, and even after a wind might need a swirl to start.And just wearing does not always wind the watch its wrist activity movement what winds the watch.What is the serial if its got a single letter plus 6 numbers the serial for 2010 will be single letter G plus 6 numbers.Now if serial has a total of 8 digits mixture letters numbers its a random serial which started latter part of 2010 till present time.And on one of those machine thing so called winders, in general they will only top up to whatever the power-reserve was in the mainspring to start with,so before placing on a machine movement should be fully manually wound first.On a full manual wind movements like the 31 series should run between 39-48 hours give or take a hour or so either way off wrist.
I habitually wind my watch every morning clockwise 35-40 turns. The problem is this particular watch the winding doesn’t seem to work or even feel like it’s winding and if it does it only holds a 12 hour reserve. If I could upload the video somehow you’d see what I mean when I say it starts and stops during winding when it should (what I’m used to at least) start right up ticking smoothly after 10-15 winds of the 35 where this watch nothing happens within 25-30 winds then it just starts up for 5 secs then stops then you continue to wind it will do it again and stop. every watch I’ve owned in the past 35 turns CW start to feel a resistance where as this watch has no resistance and a hard time starting up. It’s also moved on its own since it’s been sitting about 3 seconds very strange. Thanks for the insite I know you’re a legend around here! Also the watch is a G serial followed by 6 numbers
Old 25 February 2020, 03:05 AM   #10
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
refund.
Old 25 February 2020, 03:13 AM   #11
Bigboss473
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
refund.
I very well just might but I’ve always dealt with the store I bought it from they’re good people at first I was mad but there are far worse problems I could not own the watch bought on credit or still be wishing to buy. I honestly might take the opportunity to just go DD but my only problem is 36mm is very small to me and I’m not quite yet in the price range for a new 40mm or the DD2
Old 25 February 2020, 03:44 AM   #12
Rori
"TRF" Member

Would the AD you bought it from send it in for checkup at RSC? If they do, which is the right thing" then you're fine, let RSC take care of it, you end up with a perfect watch.
By the way I prefer the show tone DJ 41 to the DD.

Quote:
I very well just might but I’ve always dealt with the store I bought it from they’re good people at first I was mad but there are far worse problems I could not own the watch bought on credit or still be wishing to buy. I honestly might take the opportunity to just go DD but my only problem is 36mm is very small to me and I’m not quite yet in the price range for a new 40mm or the DD2
Old 25 February 2020, 03:48 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
I habitually wind my watch every morning clockwise 35-40 turns. The problem is this particular watch the winding doesn’t seem to work or even feel like it’s winding and if it does it only holds a 12 hour reserve. If I could upload the video somehow you’d see what I mean when I say it starts and stops during winding when it should (what I’m used to at least) start right up ticking smoothly after 10-15 winds of the 35 where this watch nothing happens within 25-30 winds then it just starts up for 5 secs then stops then you continue to wind it will do it again and stop. every watch I’ve owned in the past 35 turns CW start to feel a resistance where as this watch has no resistance and a hard time starting up. It’s also moved on its own since it’s been sitting about 3 seconds very strange. Thanks for the insite I know you’re a legend around here! Also the watch is a G serial followed by 6 numbers
Could be something simple like a loose screw in the winding stem, or weak mainspring, worn spring-barrel.As watch is 10 years old if no service history bite the bullet have it serviced .At least after service you will have a 2 year movement warranty and piece of mind knowing everything is as it should be after RSC service.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 25 February 2020, 04:01 AM   #14
Bigboss473
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would the AD you bought it from send it in for checkup at RSC? If they do, which is the right thing" then you're fine, let RSC take care of it, you end up with a perfect watch.
By the way I prefer the show tone DJ 41 to the DD.
That’s the thing is I doubt they are even an AD as they are in the jewelry district here in LA I’m assuming they would just have it serviced by someone they work closely with in the area so it’s a shot in the dark. I don’t think I’m in the position to pay for it to send to rsc as I just got it although it was a trade I added a few thousand to get this one. Yea I feel the same way I also don’t think it’s worth trading for an older DD vs a new DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Could be something simple like a loose screw in the winding stem, or weak mainspring, worn spring-barrel.As watch is 10 years old if no service history bite the bullet have it serviced .At least after service you will have a 2 year movement warranty and piece of mind knowing everything is as it should be after RSC service.
I’m going to see what they’re plan of action is and if they want to send to it rsc no polish of course then I’d be willing to wait it out but if they are to send it to an independent I may just swap it out for a newer model
Old 25 February 2020, 06:00 AM   #15
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Sorry to hear about your mechanical issues. Must be a drag to get a 'new" watch you really like only to have a major problem so soon.

However, and I'm surprised no one has asked an obvious question but: Why are 'habitually' winding an *automatic* watch everyday? This excessive winding might be the cause of the problems you're experiencing. Or contributed to it.

Obviously, your attempts to troubleshoot the problem haven't been successful so time to return it and either: have the store replace it or have it properly serviced by RSC. I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 06:37 AM   #16
Rori
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Sorry to hear about your mechanical issues. Must be a drag to get a 'new" watch you really like only to have a major problem so soon.

However, and I'm surprised no one has asked an obvious question but: Why are 'habitually' winding an *automatic* watch everyday? This excessive winding might be the cause of the problems you're experiencing. Or contributed to it.

Obviously, your attempts to troubleshoot the problem haven't been successful so time to return it and either: have the store replace it or have it properly serviced by RSC. I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction. Good luck.

Winding the watch “after Rolex” contribute to the watch’s optimal performance not the opposite.
If the wearer is not so active, mainly spending his day sitting at a desk or even moving with little arm movements the watch will deplete it’s power and it will start acting up. Add to that the fact that a watch may sit unworn for a good 8 to 10 hours “bed time” and you’re getting a watch barely capable of keeping time.
This is why each wearer should be able to evaluate life style and see if the watch will need winding or not.
Rolex advise 60 full turns to a watch that had completely stopped. A 700 rotor turn during the day for a watch to keep working properly.

Old 25 February 2020, 07:56 AM   #17
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

I have also wondered why our experts have not commented on the “ daily winding” practice.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:39 AM   #18
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Winding the watch “after Rolex” contribute to the watch’s optimal performance not the opposite.
If the wearer is not so active, mainly spending his day sitting at a desk or even moving with little arm movements the watch will deplete it’s power and it will start acting up. Add to that the fact that a watch may sit unworn for a good 8 to 10 hours “bed time” and you’re getting a watch barely capable of keeping time.
This is why each wearer should be able to evaluate life style and see if the watch will need winding or not.
Rolex advise 60 full turns to a watch that had completely stopped. A 700 rotor turn during the day for a watch to keep working properly.

Listen Rori, I do not have any desire to dispute your post. But, what you write is complete nonsense.
I've worn Rolex for over 30 years while having a fairly 'sedentary' job and lifestyle. I've never experienced issues with my watches...ever.
My first Rolex was an AirKing Date back when there was no internet and info was strictly limited to your local jeweler or if lucky, Rolex Authorized Dealer.

I wore that AK 13 years without any issues and I believe I wound it, maybe a dozen times. Remember, that older AK was a "Precision" as opposed to a Officially Certified Chronometer. The timekeeping was excellent. Lost about a minute every two months. It only stopped if left unworn for over 3 days.
The modern Rolex are virtually 'set and forget' unless neglected. Obviously, the OP's watch needs repairs, not more winding.

I don't mean to be flip, but my advice was given with the most heartfelt wish he solves the issues and becomes a happy Rolex owner. As I said, it must feel terrible buying a beautiful watch and immediately having problems.

With respect,
Mark

Old 25 February 2020, 12:32 PM   #19
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
I agree with the post above. A desk job will keep a new Rolex fully wound.
I have a desk job, I walk at most 1/2 mile to/from transportation. I take it off at 10pm, and put it on at 7 am. Every time I've let it stop, it took OVER 70 hours.
I've worn my watch daily for 2 months never opening the crown and it was within 10 seconds of where I set it.

These things wind just fine as long as you don't sleep in a LazyBoy all day before taking it off and going to bed.

Anyone reading this might know my gripes about my watch. It's a DJ41, 2018. I've had timekeeping issues, not like the OP describes, but losing time , or progressively losing more and more seconds per day as time goes on. It's been to Dallas, and came back running perfect (like when it was new) and the went back to losing time. Losing 5-6 spd mow after 8 months back from Dallas. It was losing 7-9 spd when I sent it in last.

OP, you gotta send it in.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 01:09 PM   #20
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I own a DJII and it's one of the most accurate watches and needs very little winding and if it's on the winder it's just as accurate. From my perspective the 3136 is a reliable movement. If you like the watch, then send it yourself to RSC and get it serviced, should come back running well.
Old 25 February 2020, 01:24 PM   #21
Bigboss473
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone I didn’t know it wasn’t good for the watch to wind daily I had my previous DJ2 on the same schedule and it never lost time in the almost year I owned it. I guess I always just figured winding it daily after sitting overnight was necessary to keep it running accurately. I left the new watch to be serviced so hopefully when I get it back everything is in working order and I can go on with my life. I appreciate all of you I know it was hard to understand but I wouldn’t come to the forum if it wasn’t something I’ve heard of or dealt with. It can’t be anything major as the watch still kept perfect time I’ll report back when I receive it
Old 25 February 2020, 06:54 PM   #22
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you everyone I didn’t know it wasn’t good for the watch to wind daily I had my previous DJ2 on the same schedule and it never lost time in the almost year I owned it. I guess I always just figured winding it daily after sitting overnight was necessary to keep it running accurately. I left the new watch to be serviced so hopefully when I get it back everything is in working order and I can go on with my life. I appreciate all of you I know it was hard to understand but I wouldn’t come to the forum if it wasn’t something I’ve heard of or dealt with. It can’t be anything major as the watch still kept perfect time I’ll report back when I receive it
You did the right thing getting it serviced. Before you know it, you'll have a beautiful Rolex on your wrist running trouble free for years.

Old 25 February 2020, 07:09 PM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfellow View Post
I have also wondered why our experts have not commented on the “ daily winding” practice.
Winding even daily will not harm any Rolex watch,but myself would say winding once a week even if worn will keep mainspring at peak power..

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 25 February 2020, 07:49 PM   #24
Rori
"TRF" Member

No disputes whatsoever Mark,
I'm just repeating Rolex's own advice written on the manual.
If winding a watch damage the movement as some think Rolex would have put it as a warning in the booklet.
Anyways, if you have a watch that does have a power reserve indicator like the one on the Tudor do your test and see yourself how a watch can become so deleted, working on the minimum reserve after just a couple of days if the wearing habits are not optimal.

Quote:
Listen Rori, I do not have any desire to dispute your post. But, what you write is complete nonsense.
I've worn Rolex for over 30 years while having a fairly 'sedentary' job and lifestyle. I've never experienced issues with my watches...ever.
My first Rolex was an AirKing Date back when there was no internet and info was strictly limited to your local jeweler or if lucky, Rolex Authorized Dealer.

I wore that AK 13 years without any issues and I believe I wound it, maybe a dozen times. Remember, that older AK was a "Precision" as opposed to a Officially Certified Chronometer. The timekeeping was excellent. Lost about a minute every two months. It only stopped if left unworn for over 3 days.
The modern Rolex are virtually 'set and forget' unless neglected. Obviously, the OP's watch needs repairs, not more winding.

I don't mean to be flip, but my advice was given with the most heartfelt wish he solves the issues and becomes a happy Rolex owner. As I said, it must feel terrible buying a beautiful watch and immediately having problems.

With respect,
Mark

Old 26 February 2020, 04:22 AM   #25
Miura Mario
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV 116613LN
Datewheel alignment looks suspect to me. Do you have any more straight on photos?
Miura Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 01:13 PM   #26
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No disputes whatsoever Mark,
I'm just repeating Rolex's own advice written on the manual.
If winding a watch damage the movement as some think Rolex would have put it as a warning in the booklet.
Anyways, if you have a watch that does have a power reserve indicator like the one on the Tudor do your test and see yourself how a watch can become so deleted, working on the minimum reserve after just a couple of days if the wearing habits are not optimal.
Glad you didn't take offense. There was no malice intended anyway. The multiple, DAILY, winding of an automatic timepiece seemed excessive and quite frankly, a little obsessive. The OP has posted his watch is being repaired which was great to hear. Regardless of the silly/funny/crazy behaviour of TRF, it's still all about helping, learning and having fun enjoying our hobby.

Old 26 February 2020, 01:22 PM   #27
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
I have a number of Rolex’s and other mechanical watches and owned different brands over the years and never ever had the need to wind them daily. Also work a desk job and the natural movement of the wrist is perfectly sufficient to run the watch. As has been said it might just need a service or have it looked at under warranty.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 02:37 PM   #28
Rori
"TRF" Member

Newley purchased DJ II acting up

Quote:
Glad you didn't take offense. There was no malice intended anyway. The multiple, DAILY, winding of an automatic timepiece seemed excessive and quite frankly, a little obsessive. The OP has posted his watch is being repaired which was great to hear. Regardless of the silly/funny/crazy behaviour of TRF, it's still all about helping, learning and having fun enjoying our hobby.

I agree Mark. This is why I came to this forum in the first place. Get help if needed, advise and learn from the veterans:-)
I’m not saying we should wind a watch daily if we wear it daily but in my case for example, if yuh take a look at my daily habits you may suggest winding my watches a couple of times a week. Have a look:

I take my watch off at around 10 PM. I wakeup at 6AM and leave for an exercise session at 7AM during which I’m using a sport activity tracker, A Garmin devise.
I come back home at around 10 AM and it’s until 11 that I finally put one of my 2!mechanical watches back on my wrist.
My daily routine is either shooting “photography ” or editing.
If shooting, I know it’s ok because my arms are moving enough for the watch to wind itself but if I’m editing which happens half of the time I know it’s not the case. Add to that that I am rotating 2 watches and it becomes obvious that these watches will need to be wound a coupe of times per week otherwise it’s the depletion. Don’t you think?

Old 26 February 2020, 05:43 PM   #29
jeorge
"TRF" Member

I never wind my DD. Its my daily for a lot of years and I walk every day for and hour in a park . run plus 2 sec per 24 since last service 11 years ago never has stopped since. Btw I think the more you screw unscrew you wear on the treads on the tube and rubber inside the crown and inside the tube.
jeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 06:24 AM   #30
Bigboss473
"TRF" Member

Got my watch back yesterday so that obv means it did not go to rsc but it does feel like new and much different when winding now you can hear and feel it wind rather then the just freely spinning feeling. so far so good with the power reserve apparently it just needed the service nothing was wrong internally. Also now flips over right at 12 vs 12:05am as before so another added bonus thank you everyone hopefully I don’t have any problems for at least 10 or so years