The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2020, 08:09 AM   #121
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I’m late to the party but I’ll give my opinion on any Rolex as a investment. Only established greys can make money off of this. There isn’t enough premium to go around to make significant money, except for a SS Daytona or Blue Sky Dweller.
As an unestablished seller, you will not find anyone willing to pay a good premium. So unless you’re buying at retail you will be lucky to break even.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 08:12 AM   #122
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Rules of "investing" in watches.
1) Watches are not an investment
2) If you ignore 1) then make sure you buy a watch you like and would wear because when it drops in value at least you have a watch you would wear
3) See 1)
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 09:49 AM   #123
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:02 AM   #124
jankymutt
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-E View Post
these kind or threads make me hate this forum...
We need to stop feeding the gray dealers. Buy the watch, wear it, and enjoy it. If you have an extra $14k sitting around but don't want to put it in a watch you're going to wear, stick it in the market....jeez
Old 25 February 2020, 11:05 AM   #125
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
15k on green baby !!
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:34 AM   #126
Rocketman39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,Hulk,GMTII
Go with a "SUB" 5513, Paid $109.00 offered $13,000. Although the return on investment is a little slow. It only took 50 years. That's a looong flip. Just too many memories and good times to part with it. I'm not a Flipper, I'm a user. The Son can have the Watch,the Gold teeth and the Bottle of Jim Beam. Just reach in the Pine box and get them. I won't be needing them !
Rocketman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 03:09 PM   #127
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsoftee View Post
I see lots of comments on this and over investment threads. A watch is not an investment. Why? Why can’t people treat it as a commodity and look to gain? What’s the difference than investing in wine? Both luxury goods, both out performed the main markets around the world in recent years. Each to their own, as much as I enjoy my watches, if the price is considered high enough by myself over the enjoyment of owning then yes, I would sell in a heart beat.
Of course you can make money on the right flip - watch, wine, whatever. Go start flipmystuff.com, where all the speculators can gather. The point here is most real watch people have grown weary of this topic and the contents are sucking the life out of an otherwise enjoyable hobby and forum.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 08:40 PM   #128
jeorge
"TRF" Member

Dealers are all about the hype playing it up to command the high price. Some believe it some don't. Me it's a green sub ref. massed produced and Rolex will crank them out as long as they sell.
jeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 09:41 PM   #129
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman39 View Post
Go with a "SUB" 5513, Paid $109.00 offered $13,000. Although the return on investment is a little slow. It only took 50 years. That's a looong flip. Just too many memories and good times to part with it. I'm not a Flipper, I'm a user. The Son can have the Watch,the Gold teeth and the Bottle of Jim Beam. Just reach in the Pine box and get them. I won't be needing them !
If we assume a yearly compound, your return is cca. 10%/year for those 50 years. And thats only the financial return. The emotional return must be in orders of magnitude to that considering the enjoyment and memories it has brought to you.

well done!
shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:04 PM   #130
efthi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
What I believe is that if Hulk is phased out there will be so many in the market coming out of the safe boxes to be sold as brand new etc. I wouldn’t do it to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
efthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 12:17 AM   #131
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
I see lots of comments on this and over investment threads. A watch is not an investment. Why? Why can’t people treat it as a commodity and look to gain? What’s the difference than investing in wine? Both luxury goods, both out performed the main markets around the world in recent years. Each to their own, as much as I enjoy my watches, if the price is considered high enough by myself over the enjoyment of owning then yes, I would sell in a heart beat.
that's known as speculation, not investment.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 12:28 AM   #132
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf52 View Post
A distinction lost on most
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 01:41 AM   #133
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
a couple of reasons.

if you only see a watch as a commodity, then you dont really love it. you wont wear it, youll cram the forums with questions about “value,” youll whine every time you scratch your watch, and then of course you could flip a watch to make money.

or, you could invest in real estate, and make REAL money.

i could sell my entire collection of steel rolex for a significant profit, since i bought all of them at retail (or less!) but i would a) be blacklisted by my AD, b) lose credibility with myself, c) feel terrible for profiteering and swindling some idiot for his or her money, and d) not have the collection ive spent years building.

IT ISNT ABOUT MONEY. and if it is to you, youre on the wrong forum. IMHO.
Old 26 February 2020, 01:44 AM   #134
jimmytamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, IWC,
Buy a full set mint condition Kermit.

Cheers

https://www.instagram.com/fliegerb777/
Old 26 February 2020, 02:14 AM   #135
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
Buy because you like it not necessarily for investment purposes.
Yuri.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 02:17 AM   #136
dukie748
"TRF" Member

I feel grubby just reading this thread.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 03:55 AM   #137
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
I feel grubby just reading this thread.
Lol, its time to take a shower .
mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 04:56 AM   #138
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Buy...Enjoy...End!
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 06:46 AM   #139
R_Rated
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtralarg View Post
Let someone buy it who would wear it, that's what watches were made for. Its people like you who are ruining this hobby.
Not wearing your watch is like not kissing your girlfriend so that she can be more desirable for her next boyfriend.

There are more sound investments. Be an enthusiast and let someone who would be excited to have it - have it.
R_Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 09:06 AM   #140
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I wouldn't gamble on anything. If your looking for value only I'd pass, it's not a sure bet. Only buy it if you love it. I've bought many I loved, when sold I made money and lost money. I think if I ever bought just for value I'd lose more than win.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 09:44 AM   #141
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Seriously!!!
Hulk is not a watch for me. I don’t like free and won’t wear green. If I want to invest I could buy stock, bond , gold etc.
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 09:49 AM   #142
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
The stock market is crashing and Hulks will likely go on sale at half off. But then they will be so plentiful that no one will want them.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 10:26 AM   #143
Skydwella
Banned

Watch: Only Rolex
Lately there has been so many discussions on watch(es) as investment is that what this (watch collection hobby) is now?
Skydwella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 10:53 AM   #144
Wck88
Banned

Buy the watch because you love it not based on investment.
Wck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 11:43 AM   #145
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf52 View Post
And the difference would be? To me there is none.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 11:51 AM   #146
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
a couple of reasons.

if you only see a watch as a commodity, then you dont really love it. you wont wear it, youll cram the forums with questions about “value,” youll whine every time you scratch your watch, and then of course you could flip a watch to make money.

or, you could invest in real estate, and make REAL money.

i could sell my entire collection of steel rolex for a significant profit, since i bought all of them at retail (or less!) but i would a) be blacklisted by my AD, b) lose credibility with myself, c) feel terrible for profiteering and swindling some idiot for his or her money, and d) not have the collection ive spent years building.

IT ISNT ABOUT MONEY. and if it is to you, youre on the wrong forum. IMHO.
People buy Ferrari's, drive them, enjoy them, sell them. No issues. People buy Red Wine, drink some, sell some, make money. Some people buy gold coins, look at them, enjoy them, sell them.

Watches are in the same category in my opinion. Even though I have I never sold a watch I purchased as I too love them all. But if the price was right, what I consider ridiculous, I would. To put this into perspective I purchased a Omega Silver Award Snoopy at retail from a Boutique in London. Original price was 4600 GBP I think, I have since been offered 19k GBP to which I declined as I love snoopy from my childhood memories.

Each to their own, and if someone buys as they see an investment then I respect that, equally as I do anyone that would not sell.

As for being in the wrong forum, I'm not. As I respect opinions and do not take a moral high ground when I don't agree with someone else's post.

Old 26 February 2020, 11:29 PM   #147
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
As you can see, your question draws out a lot of highly-charged responses and emotions from some of our members on TRF. Sorry for the less than civil responses . . . but this is a subject that has been debated over countless times on this forum. There is a lot of anger from collectors towards those that treat watches as a commodity and contribute to the lack of availability at ADs/sky-high prices.

That being said, most of us here live in free markets where you may do what you wish with your $$$. As has been said many times already, there are much better ways for you to get a return on your money than an already-inflated 116610LV. I would pass and only buy a Rolex because you want to wear it.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 11:57 PM   #148
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
People buy Ferrari's, drive them, enjoy them, sell them. No issues. People buy Red Wine, drink some, sell some, make money. Some people buy gold coins, look at them, enjoy them, sell them.

Watches are in the same category in my opinion. Even though I have I never sold a watch I purchased as I too love them all. But if the price was right, what I consider ridiculous, I would. To put this into perspective I purchased a Omega Silver Award Snoopy at retail from a Boutique in London. Original price was 4600 GBP I think, I have since been offered 19k GBP to which I declined as I love snoopy from my childhood memories.

Each to their own, and if someone buys as they see an investment then I respect that, equally as I do anyone that would not sell.

As for being in the wrong forum, I'm not. As I respect opinions and do not take a moral high ground when I don't agree with someone else's post.

you have every right to your opinions, of course!

my statement remains. it’s not about the money - and i’m not taking any moral high ground as you put it.

i just disagree with the commoditization of watches i love.

and it seems odd that although you claim that you’d sell a watch in a heartbeat for a bonkers price, you wouldn’t sell the snoopy for almost 4x the cost.

i respect that - totally!

but it seems a nonsequitur based on your previous post.

as i have stated elsewhere, it’s not a question of wrong or right - it’s just a question of opinion.

Old 27 February 2020, 12:26 AM   #149
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
you have every right to your opinions, of course!

my statement remains. it’s not about the money - and i’m not taking any moral high ground as you put it.

i just disagree with the commoditization of watches i love.

and it seems odd that although you claim that you’d sell a watch in a heartbeat for a bonkers price, you wouldn’t sell the snoopy for almost 4x the cost.

i respect that - totally!

but it seems a nonsequitur based on your previous post.

as i have stated elsewhere, it’s not a question of wrong or right - it’s just a question of opinion.

Old 27 February 2020, 12:52 AM   #150
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Philosophically I find myself struggling with all the debates about the "moral" aspect of financial decision associated with Rolex watches.

As it is with speculation vs. investment in all financial instruments, in a real world I find it is often hard to draw a clean line between value seeking and profiteering in the watch hobby.

What is the distinction between financial speculation and investing, realistically?

If I bought Amazon stock in the hope of making financial gains from the stock appreciating in value, does that make me a speculator or investor?

Where does speculation end and investing start, and vice versa? More importantly, is one better or worse than the other?

Similarly, if I love mechanical watch and decide to buy a Rolex because of its reputation of holding value or even appreciating in value, does that make me at risk of becoming a watch profiteer, since I somehow have factored "financial value" into my buying decision?

Should I feel guilty or morally impure if somehow I bought a Rolex, wore it, and decided to part with it because someone offered me $3K more than I paid?

Again, where does profiteering end and value seeking start?
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote