The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 23 January 2020, 10:00 AM   #1
zoso
"TRF" Member

Presidential clasp coming unclipped help.

Hello. I’m not a collector or expert on Rolex watches but I’m lucky enough to have a Presidential model that my dad gave me before he passed away. I have sought the help of the forum in the past when some moisture got inside and ended up sending my watch to Rik Dietel on the forums suggestion. I’m back for more advice.

Over the last year or two the bracelet has been coming undone really easy and it’s getting to the point that I’m afraid to wear the watch and I wear it daily. An example of what I mean is if I clap my hands the clasp pops open and the watch slides down my arm. The other day I slapped the side of my leg and it came undone and almost fell on the floor. It’s making me nervous now.

My question is about getting that taken care of. In order to get it fixed does that whole clasp section need to be replaced or does a watch maker some how replace the little gold nipple part that locks into the hole on the other part of the clasp? Could someone also give me an estimate of that repair and part If needed? Would it be worth going to a local Rolex dealer? I only ask because when I shipped my watch to Rik in Florida it wasn’t cheap and some what stressful.

Thanks. Owen

I tried to upload pics but photobucket is blurring the pics.
zoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 10:21 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The clasp is adjusted slightly by bending the blade of the deployant to move the catch fore or aft.
Old 23 January 2020, 10:37 AM   #3
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The clasp is adjusted slightly by bending the blade of the deployant to move the catch fore or aft.
Oh wow. Ok. I can see how that would work. Is that something they would do at the Rolex store for a fee? Thanks so much for the response.
Old 23 January 2020, 11:31 AM   #4
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Easy to do yourself if you’re comfortable doing so. Otherwise take it to any good jeweler or watchmaker and they will be able to handle it. No new parts needed. Great watch.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:32 PM   #5
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Easy to do yourself if you’re comfortable doing so. Otherwise take it to any good jeweler or watchmaker and they will be able to handle it. No new parts needed. Great watch.
Thanks a lot. Do you think there may be a video on YouTube showing how to do this? Just so I could see what it entails and see if I want to take a shot at it or leave it to the pros? Thanks. I love the watch and want to wear it and not worry. Thanks.
Old 23 January 2020, 01:56 PM   #6
fsprow
"TRF" Member

I’ll take a pix tomorrow showing the part of the clasp to gently bend. Won’t be a problem.
Old 23 January 2020, 09:26 PM   #7
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ll take a pix tomorrow showing the part of the clasp to gently bend. Won’t be a problem.
Thanks so much.
Old 23 January 2020, 11:30 PM   #8
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Here is a picture of a Day Date. The arrow shows the part of the clasp which should be used to make an adjustment. Using your fingers and thumbs bend that portion, which is on the 12 o’clock side of the bracelet, to increase its curvature slightly. Then try the clasp. If you’re uncomfortable doing that or it doesn’t help I would recommend taking it to a watchmaker for whom this will not be a big job at all. I would say a jeweler but they may not have the proper tool to remove the bracelet or the experience in doing so. Your local Rolex authorized dealer may well have a watchmaker in house. Let me know how this works out.

All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 January 2020, 02:54 AM   #9
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here is a picture of a Day Date. The arrow shows the part of the clasp which should be used to make an adjustment. Using your fingers and thumbs bend that portion, which is on the 12 o’clock side of the bracelet, to increase its curvature slightly. Then try the clasp. If you’re uncomfortable doing that or it doesn’t help I would recommend taking it to a watchmaker for whom this will not be a big job at all. I would say a jeweler but they may not have the proper tool to remove the bracelet or the experience in doing so. Your local Rolex authorized dealer may well have a watchmaker in house. Let me know how this works out.

All the best.

Thanks so much for the pic and help. I bent it a little and it’s a bit better. I’ll probably follow up with a watchmaker though. When the clasp is folded and locked the two halves don’t seem to match up as far as the curveS go go, if that makes sense. But thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it.
Old 24 January 2020, 03:57 AM   #10
fsprow
"TRF" Member

That’s a good idea. Yes the two hinge sections will have a slightly different curvature when they have been adjusted to make the latch work.

I’m sure your dad would have been pleased to know that you are valuing and wearing his watch.

Old 24 January 2020, 06:10 AM   #11
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
We are talking two different clasps here which require a different method of adjustment depending on the model.

5 digit i.e. 18038, 18238 or early series 118238 have the red gold blade clasp. These you should not bend the "blade" as suggested above which is useless on this type but use two tools to open the notch.

RT-CLASPTOOL-ALT.jpg

Rolex even has their own tools for this but I forgot the type number.
Might try two pliers with the jaws taped up. Better buy the tools.
Don't overdo it. If you break it ...
Lots of watchmakers don't know the existence of these.

On newer models you can do as described earlier.
Old 24 January 2020, 07:16 AM   #12
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
We are talking two different clasps here which require a different method of adjustment depending on the model.

5 digit i.e. 18038, 18238 or early series 118238 have the red gold blade clasp. These you should not bend the "blade" as suggested above which is useless on this type but use two tools to open the notch.

Attachment 1103948

Rolex even has their own tools for this but I forgot the type number.
Might try two pliers with the jaws taped up. Better buy the tools.
Don't overdo it. If you break it ...
Lots of watchmakers don't know the existence of these.

On newer models you can do as described earlier.
Yes that’s the model and clasp I have. So that tool will widen those two oval posts that lock into the hole?
Old 24 January 2020, 08:32 AM   #13
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
You can just insert a nylon blade into the slit with the nipple side to expand the slot slightly and everything will work fine again.

No special tool needed.

Gentle force they say
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 10:44 AM   #14
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpepper View Post
You can just insert a nylon blade into the slit with the nipple side to expand the slot slightly and everything will work fine again.

No special tool needed.

Gentle force they say
Thanks a lot. This worked. I think it could lock tighter but it’s much better. I’ll hit the Rolex store next time I’m in Boston and see if they can make it a tad tighter. Let me ask, if I clap my hands together fairly hard, should the bracelet not come undone? Or is that normal? I’d imagine with this type of locking system it’s bound to pop open with some force or impact. Thank you for the help.
Old 24 January 2020, 01:08 PM   #15
goldfixer21

Depending on the age of the band, it can have excessive wear on the edges of the 2 pieces that snap into the buckle. If this is the case it's nearly impossible to get a good connection by moving them apart from each other. I have repaired many of these using my laser welder by adding some 18K gold to them.
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 01:56 AM   #16
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfixer21 View Post
Depending on the age of the band, it can have excessive wear on the edges of the 2 pieces that snap into the buckle. If this is the case it's nearly impossible to get a good connection by moving them apart from each other. I have repaired many of these using my laser welder by adding some 18K gold to them.
Yeah that may be the case. Thanks.
Old 25 January 2020, 04:29 AM   #17
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso View Post
Thanks a lot. This worked. I think it could lock tighter but it’s much better. I’ll hit the Rolex store next time I’m in Boston and see if they can make it a tad tighter. Let me ask, if I clap my hands together fairly hard, should the bracelet not come undone? Or is that normal? I’d imagine with this type of locking system it’s bound to pop open with some force or impact. Thank you for the help.
Probably your Rolex store does not know how to deal with this type of clasp.
It's not a secure closure as the more modern and never will be. A normal clapping should not be a problem.
It might be that the slitted notch is worn beyond tightening and than only a new clasp or a very good goldsmith can help you
Old 25 January 2020, 08:01 AM   #18
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Agree

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Agree with this, some personnel in Rolex shop are younger than your watch is old, so caution on what they want to do or tell you about the issue.
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 11:59 AM   #19
zoso
"TRF" Member

Ok that’s good to know. Thank you. Shame I don’t know of any trustworthy watchmakers in my area or somewhat close. Thanks again everyone