The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2020, 02:34 AM   #1
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Are 31mm Lady DateJust models holding their values better than ever?

Last year, I bought my wife a full set pre-owned 2-tone yellow gold M-serial 26mm Lady DJ model (meteorite dial with diamond indices) for only $6k. Although an M serial, the watch was actually sold in 2010 by the AD. MSRP was over $11K. Granted, the small 26mm case helped with the large depreciation. Plus I know being a lady model plus 2-tone also didn’t help w/ maintaining it’s value.

Yesterday my wife accompanied me to the friendly neighborhood AD. She liked a the new 31mm 2-tone yellow gold DJ with that olive green dial. Sticker price is nearly $11,950. We can buy it for $10.5k + tax.

Anyway, I was looked my up past sales of this watch and it appears to be holding it’s value better than lady DJs of the past. Even used ones from 2015 are selling for over $9k.

Even resellers are listing this watch for near MSRP in new / unowned condition.

This model’s depreciation appears to be even better than 36mm DJ models.

So my question. Has anyone else noticed 31mm 2-tone lady DJs holding their value better? ...or maybe it’s just this model because of the dial?
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:13 AM   #2
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

The DJ31 is the best selling Rolex watch for ladies. Some women like to wear the OP34 and even the gentlemen’s DJ size of 36mm, however, 31mm remains, and I suspect, will remain the most popular size for women in the range.

In regards to two-tone being popular with this model, most women aren’t fixated with solid steel models like many men are with the larger DJ’s and professional models. Sales tell us that many women are enamoured by gold/steel combinations.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:23 AM   #3
ADIGA
"TRF" Member

Personally I feel that 34 and 36 will take some more years to merge as real ladies size. Currently the 31 is the biggest "only ladies" size. Life is about change and in the future sizes will not be gender specific --- more wrist size specific.... Ads are nowadays more inclined toward being gender neutral --and having woman wearing tool watches. Probably this will increase the common size for ladies.
ADIGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 06:23 AM   #4
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

I’m less interested in 31mm vs 34mm vs 36mm comparisons. Not sure if this is relevant to my question.

So you both think the ladies DJ 2-tone depreciation hit has lessen than even 5 years ago because more and more women are creating demand?
Old 24 February 2020, 06:43 PM   #5
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
they are holding very well. I bought my wife's brand new and if I were to sell it now I think I would only take a very small loss. Woman love two tone with the hidden clasp and jubilee fluted. I got my wife the silver dial with diamond 6.
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:05 PM   #6
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

when did you buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
they are holding very well. I bought my wife's brand new and if I were to sell it now I think I would only take a very small loss. Woman love two tone with the hidden clasp and jubilee fluted. I got my wife the silver dial with diamond 6.
Old 25 February 2020, 02:18 PM   #7
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
when did you buy it?

Bought it over a year ago from DavidSW BNIB. Slight discount compared to retail. No tax and name on card. Full stickers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 03:55 AM   #8
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX

I haven't really looked into the value retention of the 31mm Lady Rolex watches but if you buy the right models at the right price and your Wife loves them you can't go wrong. Many years ago we sold off her 26mm watches and never looked back. I'm trying to convince her to get a 36mm RG DD but she isn't digging the larger size. I think eventually she will come around and like the 36mm. Her current 31mm collection...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 4her.jpg (89.6 KB, 199 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 07:17 AM   #9
talkingbollox
"TRF" Member

The 31mm "boy size" was my first Rolex, bought new from an AD at a 10% discount to mark my gaining of a professional qualification. My wife has it now - looks much better on her.

talkingbollox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 07:34 AM   #10
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
They hold up very good and huge discounts are a thing of the past for the ladies models as well
Old 22 April 2021, 07:54 AM   #11
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

I haven't tried to resell one, but I can tell you acquiring a new one isn't all that easy. I have a mint 31 on order for my wife and it's been 4 months already and we're hoping to see it in the next 2-3 months. D-Day is Sept (anniversary) so it has to be in by then which the AD assures me "shouldn't be an issue". But long story short, they are either selling fast, or not producing that many, that something like this one isn't just sitting around in the case in very many places. And as far as the sizing, if people want to wear oversized watches that is a total style decision, but nobody can say this 31 doesn't look amazing on a small wrist...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minty.jpg (141.3 KB, 126 views)
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote