The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 September 2017, 06:38 PM   #1
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Icon3 Rolex RG SkyDweller Vs. AP ROO RG44

Hi TRF, I am currently in the market for a new watch, and for the life of me am stuck on making a decision. Because the decision appears to be quite substantial in terms of my purchases, this will be my first gold watch and the biggest purchase of a watch I will have made to date.

The thundering and vicious battle comes down to the Sky Dweller RG with chocolate dial on bracelet versus the AP ROO RG 44mm on band. While both being on the bulkier side of the spectrum, my wrist size does not bother me much in handling and wearing either watch.

The price point of the RG AP band is a few thousand USD more expensive than the Sky Dweller for me and does not affect my desire of one watch over the other, as both are still in my budget.

I currently have a 2015 SS DJ2 41mm rhodium diamond marker that is my daily. Since I am making my first gold purchase, it would be enjoyable to have a fully gold bracelet watch to wear, but at the same time the presence of the RG AP band is also quite astonishing as it is a 44mm. I plan on keeping my DJ2.

Being on a Rolex forum, I can understand that most of the family may side towards the Sky Dweller, however from what I have gathered, there are still many that do not favor the SD and there are still quite a bit of AP fans on here as well.

I am entirely grateful that I am in a position to choose between these two watches, however I feel as if I am losing sleep, only figurately speaking of course, trying to make a decision.

So TRF, I would be ever so thankful if you would bombard me with your thoughts as to which route I should take and why.
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Rolex RG SkyDweller Vs. AP ROO RG44

If these are the only choices, then I think the AP is more appealing. The only downside to the ap is the lack of the bracelet.

If I am allowed to suggest other choices, in the ap range I may go for the 41 mm rose gold ro chronograph. In the rolex range, I would do the day date on presidential bracelet. The latter is my choice.

Good luck with whatever you choose
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 06:57 PM   #3
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
AP44 easy choice and I have owned both. With that said I think since you posted it in Rolex section you probably want the SkyD. Had you posted in AP section I would have said opposite. Good luck with your choice and both great watches either way.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 07:12 PM   #4
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
AP44 easy choice and I have owned both. With that said I think since you posted it in Rolex section you probably want the SkyD. Had you posted in AP section I would have said opposite. Good luck with your choice and both great watches either way.
There is some truth in that, in which maybe I would be able to clarify: I was solely searching for the RG with chocolate dial bracelet as I had not imagined myself making the jump from a SS DJ2 to a RG AP. Quite determined I was with the SD. However, a close friend of mine who is a fierce AP advocate opened my mind and presented the RG 44mm band which also falls under my budget. Seeing as how I've never owned an AP and it was uncharted territories, I soon realized that it is actually quite attainable given my circumstances, which is how I landed myself in such a position of indecisiveness.
Old 2 September 2017, 09:01 PM   #5
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Just as easy the SkyD for me, but I really don't like the AP models.
The SkyD in RG is the ultimate Rolex imho. Bracelet with ceramic inserts, beautiful annual calendar, fluted bezel command and an added GMT function as a bonus. Prime example of perfect engineering. What's not to like
Old 2 September 2017, 09:09 PM   #6
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
AP RG44 is an easy choice for me. Aesthetics, comfort, finishing. Everything really. That watch has it all.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 09:20 PM   #7
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Rolex RG SkyDweller Vs. AP ROO RG44

Not a fan of SD but if you put a gun against my head I'll take it and not AP: reliability, value, many toys to play with.
Without a gun, I'd go VC Overseas or WG Daytona.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 09:54 PM   #8
Xerxes77
Banned

I own bouth but I go with Rolex Sky Dweller!
Very good movement and a strong watch with great wrist presence!
AP 44 rg also very nice but you can read at this forum how many people are problems with 3126 movement!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 10:20 PM   #9
fai9al
"TRF" Member

I am a huge a AP fan but I would go with the SkyD!
fai9al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 11:26 PM   #10
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I would go with the RG Sky Dweller but look at the YG version too.
Old 2 September 2017, 11:53 PM   #11
drgoro
"TRF" Member

I own both very different wearers, if its a daily Swky dweller, The AP44 feels more special.
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 01:23 AM   #12
peterpl
Banned

Alot of ppl have issues with the AP movement.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 02:09 AM   #13
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

I was starting to lean towards the AP, but then I did catch a couple of those threads surfacing the problems with the movement and it is starting to scare me off. I am collecting that the sample size is relatively small, but still giving me quite a push back. The AP44 just seems absolutely stunning.
Old 3 September 2017, 02:12 AM   #14
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
I own both.
The AP always feels special putting it on. It has infinitely more personality than the SkyD.

I do feel more comfortable wearing the SkyD with formal clothing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 02:34 AM   #15
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
I own both.
The AP always feels special putting it on. It has infinitely more personality than the SkyD.

I do feel more comfortable wearing the SkyD with formal clothing though.

Thank you for chiming in as someone who has both of the exact combos I am seeking. Absolutely gorgeous shots. Do you feel as if one attracts more attention over the other?
Old 3 September 2017, 03:20 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I love my RG 44, an epic watch. Interesting how many have both, I had a RG chocolate DD2.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 03:57 AM   #17
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
I was starting to lean towards the AP, but then I did catch a couple of those threads surfacing the problems with the movement and it is starting to scare me off. I am collecting that the sample size is relatively small, but still giving me quite a push back. The AP44 just seems absolutely stunning.
I can tell you I have owned 4 44's and currently own the Ti and have never had an issue with any of them. In fact I have owned a dozen ROO's and also never a single issue.

Also APSC is the best in business by far!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 04:10 AM   #18
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Both great watches . Buy the one you like the most. Who cares what we think :)
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 04:25 AM   #19
rolleyme
"TRF" Member

Watch: 326935; 126715
I was in the same boat but felt the skyd was more versatile. Also I wanted a bracelet.
rolleyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 04:55 AM   #20
Bello_nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I was in the same predicament, I went with a yellow gold Sky-Dweller�������� Now I want an. AP
♛ Datejust2 116334 💎💎
Bello_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 05:21 AM   #21
s14roller
"TRF" Member

AP 44RG between those two choices...
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:08 AM   #22
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
Both great watches . Buy the one you like the most. Who cares what we think :)
Thanks for the positive energy on both choices! So far this seems like a pretty even split between the two. It is ultimately up to me to make the decision and I am not making my decision towards what is the most popularly favored, but it is rather trying to compare the pros and cons of purchasing either watch. Cheers!
Old 3 September 2017, 07:13 AM   #23
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
AP far more special.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:15 AM   #24
ILikeTacos
Banned

Between those two, the 44RG for sure but allow me to add a third and potentially the best option. AP 41mm ROC in RG with chocolate dial. Looks amazing and no bracelet compares to the fit and finish of the royal oak. I have one on order and can't wait 44D7900C-75D7-49C6-9872-BB23BE705FC4-9406-0000053C59CA7C8D.jpeg

ILikeTacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:16 AM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

no response needed

<-------------------
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:18 AM   #26
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
my thread is one of "those". I would still pick the AP
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:26 AM   #27
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTacos View Post
Between those two, the 44RG for sure but allow me to add a third and potentially the best option. AP 41mm ROC in RG with chocolate dial. Looks amazing and no bracelet compares to the fit and finish of the royal oak. I have one on order and can't wait Attachment 888009

Congrats! I can only imagine how that would feel on the wrist! Must be an amazing feeling knowing that it is coming. I will soon know that feeling
Old 3 September 2017, 07:38 AM   #28
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
my thread is one of "those". I would still pick the AP
Always rubs me wrong when I come across those reads. My condolences to you. On the flip side, seems like you got the watch back and it is in the great condition it has always been expected to be in. What was wrong with the movement? How was the process? Is this watch something that grabs a lot of attention or does it happen to stay more lowkey? Appreciate the input!
Old 3 September 2017, 07:43 AM   #29
Amiroo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak Chrono
Do you really one TWO watches with the fluted bezel!? A few months ago I was consider the SD vs The new AP Royal Oak Chrono (blue dial). The simple fact that the SD is now available in SS and even worse two tone variants was a huge turn off for me. I believe it should have remained a PM watch. I ended up getting the AP 15400 OR on a blue dial and have never looked back. There are nights where I stay at home watch TV and have the watch sitting on the coffee table in its box so I can stare at its beauty. AP gets my vote!
Amiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:47 AM   #30
Amiroo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTacos View Post
Between those two, the 44RG for sure but allow me to add a third and potentially the best option. AP 41mm ROC in RG with chocolate dial. Looks amazing and no bracelet compares to the fit and finish of the royal oak. I have one on order and can't wait Attachment 888009

I went through this exact dilemma few months back.

Winner:

Amiroo is offline   Reply With Quote