The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 3 February 2020, 03:17 PM   #91
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
This is from the New York Times this morning. It didn’t get a lot of traction, for well, you know why. It’s all very real.

Wuhan Coronavirus Looks Increasingly Like a Pandemic, Experts Say

The Wuhan coronavirus spreading from China is now likely to become a pandemic that circles the globe, according to many of the world’s leading infectious disease experts.

“It’s very, very transmissible, and it almost certainly is going to be a pandemic,” said Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...china.amp.html

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 3 February 2020, 04:23 PM   #92
77T
2024 Pledge Member

After reading that NYT article I was surprised they think the most vulnerable target is Africa. But when they said over 1 million expat Chinese work there in mining, drilling and engineering, it made sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 3 February 2020, 05:07 PM   #93
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I am concerned about India. Almost the population of China, with only 1/3 of the land and poorer infrastructure and public health facilities.

Even though 70% of population is rural, the others are crammed together with insufficient support. Seems like a nightmare in the waiting.
Old 3 February 2020, 08:28 PM   #94
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I am concerned about India. Almost the population of China, with only 1/3 of the land and poorer infrastructure and public health facilities.

Even though 70% of population is rural, the others are crammed together with insufficient support. Seems like a nightmare in the waiting.
I am too and their provinces don’t really talk with the central govt the same way.
Old 3 February 2020, 08:43 PM   #95
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Am I the only one not worried??
Have to agree although this Coronavirus is a serous problem lets get things into perspective.Around 291,000 to as many as 646,000 people worldwide die from seasonal influenza-related respiratory illnesses each and every year.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 3 February 2020, 08:55 PM   #96
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
Just don’t touch your face, you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or be old, or be very young, or have a house mate who caught the virus, or be immunocompromised, or have heart disease, or have lung disease.
Old 3 February 2020, 09:08 PM   #97
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree although this Coronavirus is a serous problem lets get things into perspective.Around 291,000 to as many as 646,000 people worldwide die from seasonal influenza-related respiratory illnesses each and every year.
Personally, what's worrying me is the fact that seasonal flu has a mortality rate of around 0.1%. Right now Wuhan virus' mortality rate is around 2-3%. That difference, together with it spreading like wildfire, is huge.
Old 3 February 2020, 10:16 PM   #98
3 Putt
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:

I agree with this. I left China three days ago as my company required me to leave. I am now in Bangalore, India as I have responsibility for our business here as well. There was almost no screening at the airport when I arrived. However, the Indian government banned the export of surgical masks on January 30. So they are anticipating the need.
Old 4 February 2020, 12:58 AM   #99
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Too many unknowns. What is true mortality rate? Infection rate? Reinfection rate?

A lot of figures floating out there right now. But I suspect that no one really knows yet.
Old 4 February 2020, 02:09 AM   #100
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I think these are the biggest concerns; poor countries with a high population density. India would be a true disaster. One positive though is that this virus does best in cold dry climates. Also important to note is a pandemic is classified as 2 continents or more. It doesn’t necessarily mean the EU, United States, or other countries with ample resources to contain and treat with modern medicine will be be affected In those ranges. What is clear though and this is the biggest concern is pure economics. This situation could easily throw the world back into a 2008 financial crisis or worse and that’s what should be worrying everyone. My hope is this just burns itself out but the damage to economies will just take time and patience to recover fully.

Old 4 February 2020, 04:11 AM   #101
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
This situation could easily throw the world back into a 2008 financial crisis or worse and that’s what should be worrying everyone.
The factory of the world has been brought offline. It's really unprecedented. Shanghai, Beijing, Wuhan, all empty streets, even after the Chinese holidays. We're running on fumes here.
Old 4 February 2020, 11:42 PM   #102
WILLIWALKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
The Chinese government will never release the actual figures and this is understandable from an economic and public order point of view. It is therefore necessary to multiply all the official Chinese data .. this multiple remains unknown ... maybe 10? or 15?
This crisis is for me also unprecedented and it follows the trajectory of a great pandemic that we could have on a simulator with an imminent slowdown before an exponential rise.
We must salute China's efforts and honor it by avoid panicking, but we must also point the finger at the amateurism of our US/EU governments
Old 4 February 2020, 11:53 PM   #103
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Some people love to panic

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 4 February 2020, 11:59 PM   #104
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Really? The Chinese Government loves to panic?
Old 5 February 2020, 12:06 AM   #105
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Still need to consider the mortality rate is 2-3x influenza. So if the same amount of people contract this, the mortality numbers will swell beyond influenza fatalities. Most of these would likely be in China and lesser developed countries.

Still too early to determine if there is panic or not. This thing needs to peak out before that assessment can accurately be made.
Old 5 February 2020, 12:06 AM   #106
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Really? The Chinese Government loves to panic?
Check the chart, look at the facts. IMHO China is playing catch up and is far more embarrassed than scared.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 5 February 2020, 12:14 AM   #107
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

We can’t compare this to the flu anymore. Mortality rate is more than 3X and it’s more contagious. Wuhan Coronavirus can now spread three different ways, air, fecal and surface (up to 5 days.) All qualified.

Old 5 February 2020, 01:34 AM   #108
IntenseImage
"TRF" Member

Working for a company with a main office in China, some of the corporate comms make it sound pretty serious, even if the gov over there is suppressing what comes out
Old 5 February 2020, 02:39 AM   #109
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
We can’t compare this to the flu anymore. Mortality rate is more than 3X and it’s more contagious. Wuhan Coronavirus can now spread three different ways, air, fecal and surface (up to 5 days.) All qualified.

The Novel Coronavirus will likely transmit as many viral pathogens do - using a host cell from every possible source.

I’d like to mention that the increasing rate of cases is accelerating much faster than the rate of deaths.

We will see the lethality shrink as we get control over the mortality despite sharp increases in cases.

Can’t really rely on only 17,000 cases as a denominator to yield a forward-looking mortality rate. Note that the other comparable outbreaks have millions of cases over a years time

When we have a year’s worth of Novel CV data I believe the observed mortality will be closer to the flu than SARS or MERS.

Old 5 February 2020, 06:29 AM   #110
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The Novel Coronavirus will likely transmit as many viral pathogens do - using a host cell from every possible source.

I’d like to mention that the increasing rate of cases is accelerating much faster than the rate of deaths.

We will see the lethality shrink as we get control over the mortality despite sharp increases in cases.

Can’t really rely on only 17,000 cases as a denominator to yield a forward-looking mortality rate. Note that the other comparable outbreaks have millions of cases over a years time

When we have a year’s worth of Novel CV data I believe the observed mortality will be closer to the flu than SARS or MERS.

Agree with the exception of MERS, mortality was in the 30% range. That was a dangerous one.

Old 5 February 2020, 07:57 AM   #111
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Agree with the exception of MERS, mortality was in the 30% range. That was a dangerous one.

I was saying Novel CV mortality would be closer to flu than either SARS or MERS. SARS was about 10% untreated and MERS was 30%. I agree both of those were horrific.

I expect Novel will eventually be something under 1%.

Old 5 February 2020, 09:15 AM   #112
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I was saying Novel CV mortality would be closer to flu than either SARS or MERS. SARS was about 10% untreated and MERS was 30%. I agree both of those were horrific.

I expect Novel will eventually be something under 1%.

Expertise in helicoptering and virology...thanks for your insights in the current events...
Old 6 February 2020, 01:45 AM   #113
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Cruise ships in Japan too. Arriving and not being allowed to disembark. Confirmed cases on board. Those passengers have been taken to local hospitals.

Japan has the highest infestation of confirmed cases outside of China.

On an average weekend I will see 100-200 Chinese tourists at my local Starbucks and adjoining park. That is just in my 30 minutes there. They are bused there by tour buses. The baristas and I have joked in the past that you don't hear Japanese being spoken there.

None last weekend.
Old 6 February 2020, 01:12 PM   #114
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
There's always influenza related deaths at any single time. Usually the elderly or the weak. If concomittant infection with coronavirus, then maybe more dangerous.

And unless my mathematics fails me, the mortality rate of coronavirus' 2.5% is higher than the 0.2% of influenza, assuming all the coronavirus mortality rate was reported accurately of course. It should be higher if I were to make a guess.
Old 8 February 2020, 05:57 PM   #115
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Things that make you go, hmmm!?

The patients hospitalized with 2019-nCoV pneumonia experienced a range of symptoms, researchers report. All but two had a fever, 70 percent felt fatigued, 60 percent had a dry cough, 35 percent experienced muscle pain and 31 percent found it difficult to breathe. Smaller numbers of patients described headaches, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal pain. Ten percent of patients had diarrhea and nausea a day or two before developing fever and shortness of breath.

With a low 2% mortality rate, odds of the whistleblower dying, coincidental? Everyone being interviewed has lost a loved a family member.

Things that make you go, hmmm!?

Old 8 February 2020, 06:51 PM   #116
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:

Surface? 5 days? Where did you get that from? Any source? Really want to know.

CDC says:

It’s currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.

And the virus is supposed to only survive outside of the body a few minutes to hours but not days.
Old 8 February 2020, 07:21 PM   #117
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post
Surface? 5 days? Where did you get that from? Any source? Really want to know.

CDC says:

It’s currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.

And the virus is supposed to only survive outside of the body a few minutes to hours but not days.
Actually it’s 9-days now. Let me find source. If you simply Google search coronavirus you’ll get the same data. It’s not a secret

Old 8 February 2020, 07:34 PM   #118
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
Quote:
Actually it’s 9-days now. Let me find source. If you simply Google search coronavirus you’ll get the same data. It’s not a secret

Credible source....?
WHO and CDC say nothing of that sort...
Old 9 February 2020, 12:49 AM   #119
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nsmission.html
Old 9 February 2020, 07:22 AM   #120
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
CDC is political.

Coronaviruses can persist on inanimate surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days, according to a study published Feb. 6 in the Journal of Hospital Infection.

Researchers analyzed 22 studies on coronaviruses, including literature on SARS and MERS. An analysis revealed that the viruses normally survive on surfaces between four and five days, but can remain infectious for up to nine days. Low temperatures and high air humidity increase the lifespan.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...udy-finds.html

Closed Thread