The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 14 February 2023, 08:41 AM   #1
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Any thoughts on a good second fountain pen ?

I have been thinking lately of adding a second daily use fountain pen into the mix.

My Platinum Izumo Urushi is absolutely fabulous to use after receiving the tip on the forum to try Iroshizuku ink, which has totally transformed how the pen writes.

I’m very patient to add a second pen, and indeed, will enjoy reading up on the options - but as you will know, the choices are so vast, it’s hard for a novice to know where to begin.

I’m in two camps really- either go for something similar, but ‘better’ such as a Nakaya cigar/dorsal fin.

Or - go for something totally different, probably European, and here I’ve been reading about the Pelikan M1000.

My thoughts with something totally different are that I’ll potentially have a second pen that gets a good amount of use….but, if I go for another nice urushi pen, will I ultimately end up just not using my current platinum, if I find something I prefer.

Any thoughts or recommendations on what to research more into would be well received.

I’m hoping in the summer to get into London and find a quality pen shop to test a few different options out as well.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2023, 10:37 AM   #2
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTII,TT & SS Sub
I use one of three Pilot Vanishing Point for daily use and recently bought a Pelikan M1000. I really like it. It is completely different from the Pilots but a spectacular pen and I find myself making excuses to use it more and more.

I would also like to find a shop where I could test a few different pens. I took a leap on the Pelikan because it had so many positive reviews.
fozzyf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 06:06 AM   #3
Borkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 228238
Mont Blanc has a few nice puppies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Borkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 04:17 PM   #4
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Pelicans are lovely and reliable. Many to choose from.

Good luck!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 02:59 PM   #5
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

And I should have added, reasonably priced.
Old 5 March 2023, 04:53 PM   #6
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Any updates?
Old 9 March 2023, 06:22 AM   #7
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the inputs,

I’m going to hold fire on anything until I’ve got chance to go try some out on paper.

Part of the enjoyment is reading and learning in advance of purchase, so Pelikan is definitely one I will look more into.

I did however scratch a small itch with some dark brown iroshizuku ink, it’s lovely. Keen to try some other colours too.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 10 March 2023, 09:34 AM   #8
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Pelikan make gorgeous pens

As a daily writer, I find it hard to beat a MB 146. I also own half a dozen 149's and whilst i have large hands, i find the 146 a perfect pairing for a daily.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 07:40 AM   #9
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

Sailor, Pelican, MB, Visconti are my collection.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 11:19 AM   #10
zjhoward
"TRF" Member

Pelican and MB are nice. Sailor makes a mean nib also!
zjhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 11:55 PM   #11
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks!
Old 26 March 2023, 01:03 AM   #12
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I was fortunate to try out Pelikan M400, M600, M800, and M1000 side by side at a huge pen shop in Barcelona. I ended up going with an M800 fine nib. There was some variation in the nib feel (a couple were scratchy), so I picked the best nib of the bunch and they swapped it onto my preferred body (red). Fantastic pen, puts down a nice wet line, super smooth. I found the M1000 a bit big, but the nib is softer feeling than the M800 if you like that. Piston fill mechanism is very easy to use.

My other main fountain pen is the Pilot 823. I find it more comfortable to write with than the Pelikan due to the shape, longer section, and smoother transition from body to section. Nib is super smooth as well, my preference. It's a fine nib, but puts down a much finer line than the Pelikan fine, and is a bit drier, so I use Pilot ink with that pen. It is a vacuum fill pen. On the plus side it holds a lot of ink, is quick and easy to fill, and you can take it on a plane without it leaking. Downside is that if you like to change ink colors, it's laborious to flush out the remaining ink before changing colors. Pilot 742 is almost identical to the 823 but uses a converter or cartridges, so that's an option as well.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:28 AM   #13
dc7240
"TRF" Member

I recently tried the New Release from Delta (39+1) it dries out quickly and I am not impressed with the Nib. Went to Chicago and purchased a Custom Pilot Urushi. I can leave it sit for 2 weeks and it will start to write instantly. I have tried diplomat fountain pens and the nib works well but they dry out if not used every few days. I am very happy with Pilot.

My wife has close to 50 fountain pens and I have seen really nice results from sailor and her 823 pilot (She is a Author/Writer) and when I let her try my Custom Pilot she put on her wish list a Pilot Custom 845. The japanese pens are in my opinion Real Writers.
dc7240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2023, 09:37 AM   #14
johntictoc
"TRF" Member

I really like my Pelikan
johntictoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 04:45 AM   #15
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

You know... you might concentrate more on a nib than on the pen. Try an Oblique and see how that suits you. After all, it's how it looks on paper.
Old 13 May 2023, 05:54 AM   #16
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the great thoughts and inputs.

It’s an interesting observation about the Japanese made pens not drying out. When I’ve not used it over Christmas holidays etc. for two weeks my Platinum also just writes as if I’d only just put it down immediately before - I hadn’t realised other pens would dry out that quickly.

It’s a great point about the type of nib, I think really yes that is what I’m looking for. When I get chance to go to a proper pen shop I will hopefully get chance to try a few different types out.

As a typical right handed writer, it looks like a left oblique would work best.

There is so much to get into with fountain pens, but alas never enough time to read and learn and explore everything I’d like to.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 19 May 2023, 12:19 AM   #17
Talon
"TRF" Member

You won't go wrong with the Nakaya or Pelikan options. Keep in mind Jap pens are like their clothing so they tend to make the nibs smaller (ie: a medium nib from Nakaya or Namiki might write like a fine from a US/Euro maker). I currently EDC a MB 149 and whilst it's a good pen, I probably won't buy another Mont Blanc given their "precious resin" is just plastic...
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2023, 10:34 PM   #18
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
If you can, try a Pilot 823 vacuum filler.
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 09:16 AM   #19
Kingkopra
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Dopplergraph
I would suggest a Pelikan M800 as a reliable well balanced pen, great quality and extremely dependable serviceable pen. Plenty of nib size variations for your writing style and if that doesn't work send to nibmeister for 'personal tuning', (BTW I'm not affiliated w/ Pelican just a user, collector and fan of this brand.!!)
Kingkopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 09:03 AM   #20
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

I’m generally a huge fan of Japanese pens. Although I own many Pilots, Platinums and Nakayas, my preference tends to be for Sailor, specifically the Realos despite their lower ink capacity. They’ve proved absolutely bullet-proof, and even basic Sailor nibs feel like nothing else, and come in some crazy variations (check out Cobra, King Eagle, Cross Concord etc).

That said, if I were you I wouldn’t think twice and would buy a Conid Bulkfiller. I own quite a few and have been a huge fan since I bought one of the first prototype “First Production Run” Bulkfillers back in (I think) 2012. Since then I’ve added regulars, slimlines, serveral Kingsize and even have a custom pen made from some Omas celluloid I managed to source when the company went under.

They are simply the best engineered fountain pens ever made. Epic filling capacity, entirely self-serviceable, impervious to leaks because of the ingenious curved shut-off rod, don’t suffer from air-bubble blockages like most plunger fillers (looking at you Pilot 823 and Onoto), and a super-intricate mechanism that, once you get the hang of it, you can fill with your eyes closed.

The standard nibs by Bock (the same ones you’ll get on a Pelikan, just without the branding) are very good - especially the Titanium - but there is a whole community of modders, and even the company itself, that will let you fit both modern and vintage nibs from other manufacturers. My current favourite Bulkfiller sports a 1960s Mont-blanc 149 nib.

Whenever I travel, I do so with only Conids. They’re truly peerless.

Last edited by mongrelnomoad; 16 June 2023 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Added a link
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 07:57 PM   #21
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I’m generally a huge fan of Japanese pens. Although I own many Pilots, Platinums and Nakayas, my preference tends to be for Sailor, specifically the Realos despite their lower ink capacity. They’ve proved absolutely bullet-proof, and even basic Sailor nibs feel like nothing else, and come in some crazy variations (check out Cobra, King Eagle, Cross Concord etc).

That said, if I were you I wouldn’t think twice and would buy a Conid Bulkfiller. I own quite a few and have been a huge fan since I bought one of the first prototype “First Production Run” Bulkfillers back in (I think) 2012. Since then I’ve added regulars, slimlines, serveral Kingsize and even have a custom pen made from some Omas celluloid I managed to source when the company went under.

They are simply the best engineered fountain pens ever made. Epic filling capacity, entirely self-serviceable, impervious to leaks because of the ingenious curved shut-off rod, don’t suffer from air-bubble blockages like most plunger fillers (looking at you Pilot 823 and Onoto), and a super-intricate mechanism that, once you get the hang of it, you can fill with your eyes closed.

The standard nibs by Bock (the same ones you’ll get on a Pelikan, just without the branding) are very good - especially the Titanium - but there is a whole community of modders, and even the company itself, that will let you fit both modern and vintage nibs from other manufacturers. My current favourite Bulkfiller sports a 1960s Mont-blanc 149 nib.

Whenever I travel, I do so with only Conids. They’re truly peerless.
This is very interesting.

I'm currently considering my next purchase and weighing up the options of either and MB 149 (vintage vs. modern i'm unsure), a Sailor KOP or i've also considered ordering a Hakase.

The Conid looks super interesting though and would add nicely to my collection. It looks for the time being that they are on a stop order so it may be a case of waiting until they open up purchase slots again.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 10:33 PM   #22
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
This is very interesting.

I'm currently considering my next purchase and weighing up the options of either and MB 149 (vintage vs. modern i'm unsure), a Sailor KOP or i've also considered ordering a Hakase.

The Conid looks super interesting though and would add nicely to my collection. It looks for the time being that they are on a stop order so it may be a case of waiting until they open up purchase slots again.
I far prefer my Sailor pens to my Montblanc pens.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:34 AM   #23
jar
"TRF" Member

A few Sailors to show relative sizes. In each style the KoP is on the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1619small.jpg (97.8 KB, 180 views)
Old 28 July 2023, 09:39 PM   #24
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Was looking at the size comparisons against what I already have. Love the look of the 1911 realo but it looks to be very small uncapped.

I think there’s a large but even that looks to be smaller than most of my others. I’m quite fancying a jumbo sized pen now, hence KOP or 149. The 149 is a much better buy on the used market though. There never seems to be many larger Sailors come up.

I absolutely love the look of the Urushi KOP, but I can’t justify that price ($1500).
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 10:54 PM   #25
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Was looking at the size comparisons against what I already have. Love the look of the 1911 realo but it looks to be very small uncapped.

I think there’s a large but even that looks to be smaller than most of my others. I’m quite fancying a jumbo sized pen now, hence KOP or 149. The 149 is a much better buy on the used market though. There never seems to be many larger Sailors come up.

I absolutely love the look of the Urushi KOP, but I can’t justify that price ($1500).
For larger Urushi pens you might also consider Danitrio and Nakaya but neither is going to be inexpensive. There is also the Platinum Izumo offerings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 351small.jpg (37.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Neo-Portable-01small.jpg (119.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg all-four.jpg (96.5 KB, 171 views)
Old 30 July 2023, 12:54 AM   #26
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

A few points:

1. You really can't go wrong with any Sailor.

2. The large sized Realo was the launch prototype LE that was the size of the King of Pen. They made a few hundred and are unicorns. I've been trying to snag one for a decade, but no joy.

3. The Realo is really designed to be used posted. If it is too short uncapped, it is perfect posted (if you like regular sized pens). The main benefit is that the Realo tends to be a popular canvas for LEs in glorious technicolor with various embelishments. I'm rather obsessed with them (I have around twenty), and as we speak, Bungubox alone has three rather fetching limited editions just launched. I'm lucky enough to own all three.

4. The Izumo is a lovely pen, but Platinum nibs tend to be a love-them-or-hate-them affair.

5. Conid was a passion project by the founder of Comex, a huge Belgian machining company. They paused production during Covid and have only recently restarted.

6. Hakases are probably the pinnacle of Japanese penmaking. I have several, and if you can afford them, there is little anywhere like them.

7. Look at the Namiki Urushi No. 20. It may be just what you're after. Urushi in either black or vermillion over a brass core. Oversized but not your usual black plastic pen.
Old 30 July 2023, 05:36 PM   #27
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
A few points:

1. You really can't go wrong with any Sailor.

2. The large sized Realo was the launch prototype LE that was the size of the King of Pen. They made a few hundred and are unicorns. I've been trying to snag one for a decade, but no joy.

3. The Realo is really designed to be used posted. If it is too short uncapped, it is perfect posted (if you like regular sized pens). The main benefit is that the Realo tends to be a popular canvas for LEs in glorious technicolor with various embelishments. I'm rather obsessed with them (I have around twenty), and as we speak, Bungubox alone has three rather fetching limited editions just launched. I'm lucky enough to own all three.

4. The Izumo is a lovely pen, but Platinum nibs tend to be a love-them-or-hate-them affair.

5. Conid was a passion project by the founder of Comex, a huge Belgian machining company. They paused production during Covid and have only recently restarted.

6. Hakases are probably the pinnacle of Japanese penmaking. I have several, and if you can afford them, there is little anywhere like them.

7. Look at the Namiki Urushi No. 20. It may be just what you're after. Urushi in either black or vermillion over a brass core. Oversized but not your usual black plastic pen.
I 100% concur!
Old 6 August 2023, 01:21 AM   #28
jar
"TRF" Member

Finally flushed and put away my Aurora 888P that has been my sole fountain pen for several years now. I used it with Platinum cartridges.

As its replacement I chose the Silver and Yellow Sailor ProGear with a medium nib and a blue Sailor cartridge. It will be interesting to see just how long this remains my pen of choice. The different feel and increased feedback of Sailor nibs is my most immediate sensation. Nice.

But there's an Aurora Talentum with a Binder tuned nib that has been complaining about neglect.
Old 8 August 2023, 02:25 PM   #29
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Finally flushed and put away my Aurora 888P that has been my sole fountain pen for several years now. I used it with Platinum cartridges.

As its replacement I chose the Silver and Yellow Sailor ProGear with a medium nib and a blue Sailor cartridge. It will be interesting to see just how long this remains my pen of choice. The different feel and increased feedback of Sailor nibs is my most immediate sensation. Nice.

But there's an Aurora Talentum with a Binder tuned nib that has been complaining about neglect.
I have a few Binderized pens and you are correct! They will not let you ignore them.
Old 25 August 2023, 10:39 PM   #30
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Just to let you know Conid are releasing a batch of pens next week if you want to give them a try. As I said above, I truly believe they’re the best fountain pens ever made.