The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 December 2022, 01:09 AM   #1
ase_sbhwatch
"TRF" Member

New AP CODE Starwheel?

I had high hopes on rumors of a new Starwheel. Perhaps it was wishful thinking but I was even envisioning a version of the iconic acrylic wheels within an RO case? But I think this new spin on the old classic tragically misses the mark. How could AP take an elegant, timeless dial and turn it into something that looks like it came out of a video game? AP should not be trying to compete with Urwerk. I understand AP is trying to appeal to a younger audience. I also understand AP’s emphasis in diversifying its collection beyond the RO. But with the these toy-like releases, I worry AP is diluting the heritage of its brand. AP could have easily reissued new youthful variants of the Edward Piguet, for example, maybe on a new bracelet or even rubber straps to compete with the PP Aquanaut. But this newest release continues to move in the wrong direction in my mind. Curious to hear others’ thoughts.IMG_5575.jpg
IMG_5574.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ase_sbhwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 01:20 AM   #2
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Respectfully, I completely disagree with your views. I think AP did a great job with this version and I liked the fact that they used this for the Code. I love the color scheme. I may have to get one.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 01:33 AM   #3
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Respectfully, I completely disagree with your views. I think AP did a great job with this version and I liked the fact that they used this for the Code. I love the color scheme. I may have to get one.
Ditto.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 01:55 AM   #4
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
+3. Absolutely LOVE this, aventurine dial plus starwheel..YES PLEASE. Hands down the best CODE to come out since the creation of the line. Encourage everyone to read through the history of the starwheel, really fascinating with what AP has done here with re-launching it. Will say much prefer this to the old millenary starwheel. Talking to my boutique today to see feasibility of acquiring.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 02:16 AM   #5
T.Stanley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
+3. Absolutely LOVE this, aventurine dial plus starwheel..YES PLEASE. Hands down the best CODE to come out since the creation of the line. Encourage everyone to read through the history of the starwheel, really fascinating with what AP has done here with re-launching it. Will say much prefer this to the old millenary starwheel. Talking to my boutique today to see feasibility of acquiring.
+4. I love the aventurine dial of this new starwheel along with the perpetual code. I think this is a great addition to the code line.
T.Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 02:17 AM   #6
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Code never looked impressive for me, but this has completely changed my mind.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 02:19 AM   #7
messikens
"TRF" Member

It's starker than the classic one but at the same time the classic one wouldn't have fit the Code case IMO.

Gotta give AP credit for breaking the mold and trying new spins on things. I for one love where the 11.59 line seems to be going, esp after the "meh" feeling I had when seeing the initial 3-handers!
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 02:20 AM   #8
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree. I thought the Code Perp was super nice but this one does it for me.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 02:33 AM   #9
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Absolutely LOVE it and think they nailed the design.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 02:55 AM   #10
dttau33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree. I thought the Code Perp was super nice but this one does it for me.
my thoughts exactly
dttau33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 03:19 AM   #11
Fifteen
Banned

Looks amazing. Already reached out to my SA. Already been told it will be very hard to get lol
Fifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 03:44 AM   #12
Reign
"TRF" Member

You’re in the minority mate by miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 03:49 AM   #13
MP777
"TRF" Member

Not bad!
MP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 03:53 AM   #14
chalkflewup
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
+3. Encourage everyone to read through the history of the starwheel, really fascinating with what AP has done here with re-launching it.

Indeed, a super interesting story behind the starwheel. The Code line is perfect for this type of experimentation.
chalkflewup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 03:58 AM   #15
metzgergt1
"TRF" Member

Absolutely in love with this piece. Now I wish it comes in Rose Gold!
metzgergt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 03:58 AM   #16
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Love the design on this one.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 04:08 AM   #17
bullies
"TRF" Member

I think it's great
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 04:36 AM   #18
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

If they come out with these Star Wheel, Chrono or QP first, then add a 3 hander (gradient dial) later. They probably have a better response. I like these a lot. Still too big for my liking and wrist, but it’s pretty cool to see.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 04:40 AM   #19
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I think it looks pretty cool. Also that angle is the least interesting angle to photograph a code case. Doesn’t capture any of the case details
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 04:50 AM   #20
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
I have read all the hate-mail on the new Starwheel in the pop press, and boy, I really don't think these new watch collectors get it.

In my mind, AP's reintroduction of the Starwheel is a huge positive. My critiques would be limited to the fact that 1) I'd rather see tappiserie or engraving instead of aventurine, 2) I'd rather see clear starwheel disks, and 3) it should be 38-39mm, not 41mm, which is a complaint I have for pretty much every manufacturer/new issue these days.

That aside, awesome stuff.
Old 2 December 2022, 04:58 AM   #21
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
This is a huge positive for the Code line IMO.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE / AP 26574st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26331.or/ AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 05:00 AM   #22
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I think they nailed it with this release. Finally a Code I can get on board with. I'd love to see one in the metal someday.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 06:27 AM   #23
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Would have preferred the old sapphire wheels, would make more sense to show the aventurine
dchang81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 06:46 AM   #24
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

This is an amazing addition to the catalog.
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 06:49 AM   #25
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
I have read all the hate-mail on the new Starwheel in the pop press, and boy, I really don't think these new watch collectors get it.

In my mind, AP's reintroduction of the Starwheel is a huge positive. My critiques would be limited to the fact that 1) I'd rather see tappiserie or engraving instead of aventurine, 2) I'd rather see clear starwheel disks, and 3) it should be 38-39mm, not 41mm, which is a complaint I have for pretty much every manufacturer/new issue these days.

That aside, awesome stuff.
+1 This is a balanced response that gives due credit to AP for a cool new release, but at the same time noting that it isn’t at all perfect. To the OPs point as well, there was a high bar IF comparing to the older starwheels, but it is a bit like oranges to apples based on the decision to use the Code structure as the foundation. As such, looking at it as a Code starwheel (in comparison to other Codes), it is a very good effort. Overall, mykii’s points would have made for a super release. Just like everyone is happy to collect multiple RO-style pieces, the Code line will also now be appreciated more with collectors seeking to add multiple complementary pieces. With that, practically speaking I still regard the Code chronos or 3-handers as very cool daily wears, and the starwheel as a cool novelty that I hope to add.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 06:59 AM   #26
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
+1 This is a balanced response that gives due credit to AP for a cool new release, but at the same time noting that it isn’t at all perfect. To the OPs point as well, there was a high bar IF comparing to the older starwheels, but it is a bit like oranges to apples based on the decision to use the Code structure as the foundation. As such, looking at it as a Code starwheel (in comparison to other Codes), it is a very good effort. Overall, mykii’s points would have made for a super release. Just like everyone is happy to collect multiple RO-style pieces, the Code line will also now be appreciated more with collectors seeking to add multiple complementary pieces. With that, practically speaking I still regard the Code chronos or 3-handers as very cool daily wears, and the starwheel as a cool novelty that I hope to add.
Thank you sir - I often feel silo'd in my beliefs, glad to hear I'm not alone in my thinking on this one!
Old 2 December 2022, 09:19 AM   #27
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Star wheel is a fun complication and should not be stuck in a 36mm dress case imho. This is 100% AP and awesome. The old star wheel was a bit discrete, subdued and a bit "meh" for me. The new Code is killing it!

The only thing they could do to take it over the top is to put a minute repeater in it. While I won't be able to afford it, it would be AWESOME.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 12:42 PM   #28
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase_sbhwatch View Post
I had high hopes on rumors of a new Starwheel. Perhaps it was wishful thinking but I was even envisioning a version of the iconic acrylic wheels within an RO case? But I think this new spin on the old classic tragically misses the mark. How could AP take an elegant, timeless dial and turn it into something that looks like it came out of a video game? AP should not be trying to compete with Urwerk. I understand AP is trying to appeal to a younger audience. I also understand AP’s emphasis in diversifying its collection beyond the RO. But with the these toy-like releases, I worry AP is diluting the heritage of its brand. AP could have easily reissued new youthful variants of the Edward Piguet, for example, maybe on a new bracelet or even rubber straps to compete with the PP Aquanaut. But this newest release continues to move in the wrong direction in my mind. Curious to hear others’ thoughts.Attachment 1334640
Attachment 1334641

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
First, there are already a bunch of threads that include this watch…you should of posted in one of those instead of thinking people wanted a thread just for your thoughts.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 01:01 PM   #29
squall1
"TRF" Member

This is awesome, I can't wait to buy it. The old ones look strange to me and I could never quite pull the trigger on one. The clear wheels look cheap and the designs are too baroque...for me. This looks modern, fresh and really shows of what the Code platform can do (along with the other new releases).
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 02:17 PM   #30
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
An interesting way to tell time on this watch. And with the 3 sub-dials, AP can work with many other looks/designs on this one.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote