The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 March 2023, 10:23 PM   #31
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

I would think the new metal ring could be a deign flaw. Say in a bump with a sharp edge object the metal could deform and possibly pull away from ceramic it surrounds and the ceramic will not.

Not to mention the it will be a scratch magnet. Glad I got both of these when I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CCFDBA0D-B8F1-4BD8-AB2B-5F2B6E2D63C3.jpeg (100.5 KB, 1303 views)
JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:26 PM   #32
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Picks:
Old white dial
New black dial

My thoughts are, not too keen on the insert look, with the ring. Looks like every other chronograph on the market.

But I will reserve judgement until I see in person. Just how this new case fits on the wrist, and this insert look.

I really liked the look of the now old steel Daytona.

Either way, it will continue to dominate.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:30 PM   #33
sigma089
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, GS, PP
I really like the new dials with the slimmer hour markers. Platinum looks amazing but out of reach for me unfortunately. I really like the WG bracelet version with WG bezel as well, very elegant, true panda dial, will try to get one.

Would love to see a live picture of the black dial stainless as well, but haven't managed to find one yet. Anyone know what color the rings are? Are they silver or more similar to the 16520s?
sigma089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:32 PM   #34
Turb0wned
"TRF" Member

I think the old White dial looks better but the new black dial looks better than the old..
Old 27 March 2023, 10:32 PM   #35
Swiftneck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed82 View Post
The steel ring around the bezel is an ugly addition. The case looks chunkier and the brushed sides are just weird. The old one looks a more complete design.
Which sides are brushed?
Swiftneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:32 PM   #36
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Price for 116500LNs on the rise already on certain platforms. Some sellers on Japan also adjusted their prices.
Old 27 March 2023, 10:34 PM   #37
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

I like both :)
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:38 PM   #38
ordinary55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
Price for 116500LNs on the rise already on certain platforms. Luxury Bazaar seems to be first to increase within the USA. Some sellers on Japan also adjusted their prices.
it's rising quite fast
ordinary55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:41 PM   #39
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinary55 View Post
it's rising quite fast
I stand corrected. LB still has old prices. All of the greys are probably analyzing now on what price they will list them for. Some eBay sellers removed their old listings.
Old 27 March 2023, 10:43 PM   #40
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

Ceramic chips easily, I guarantee Rolex saw a lot of broken or cracked bezels so they took a page out of the submariner playbook. Rolex wants you to enjoy your watch for a lifetime and this minor change will allow for that to happen.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:48 PM   #41
Turb0wned
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post
Ceramic chips easily, I guarantee Rolex saw a lot of broken or cracked bezels so they took a page out of the submariner playbook. Rolex wants you to enjoy your watch for a lifetime and this minor change will allow for that to happen.

I've never chipped any of my ceramic bezel watches, ever. Even the full ceramic Omega Apollo 8 DSOTM never got a chip on it.
Old 27 March 2023, 10:48 PM   #42
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post

What do you mean? Rolex has had ceramic bezels and still does on the Daytona.
Old 27 March 2023, 10:50 PM   #43
RTG
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
New Daytona models are awesome. I always thought the visible edge of the ceramic bezel was unrefined. Having owned three of them (116500black, 116500white, 116515ln), this is not just a pictures driven opinion.

Platinum with display case back is exceptional. They hit this out of the park. I didn’t think Rolex would do anything that interesting. I didn’t think they would produce a new Daytona that I would want to buy. Boy, was I wrong

To bad the haters are still gonna hate.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:50 PM   #44
cari66ean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
What do you mean? Rolex has had ceramic bezels and still does on the Daytona.
He means the ring around the ceramic bezel. Essentially it making it an inlay like on the submariner and I absolutely agree that this should improve durability instead of taking away from it.
cari66ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:51 PM   #45
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
I stand corrected. LB still has old prices. All of the greys are probably analyzing now on what price they will list them for. Some eBay sellers removed their old listings.
Asking prices don’t mean jack. Of course they will increase now but don’t be fooled simply via asks
Old 27 March 2023, 10:52 PM   #46
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I actually prefer the new one! Shame it's not slightly larger at 41/42mm.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:55 PM   #47
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

The only thing I REALLY don’t like is the metal ring around the bezel.

I’m curious if the cotes de geneve finishing will apply to all new versions or if only the new platona with the open back has that level of finishing.

While it may seem small, cotes de geneve is no small feat. It’s really cool rolex now has this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:56 PM   #48
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Till I see one in the metal I can’t say one way or the other.

Aesthetically I much prefer the new subdials and symmetrical case. I’m not sure about the bezel outline tho.

For me the biggest turn off’s still remain: unbalanced dial layout, and screw down pushers.

Jury is out, but I’d say I slightly prefer the new version over the old YMMV
Agree. Why they cannot offer a model without the screw down pushers is beyond me. I have to take my watch off my wrist to unscrew the pushers to use the chrono. How many people actually swim with these watches? I know some do but most folks, I believe, don't.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:57 PM   #49
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Looks like they just slapped the existing precious metal case on the steel models.

Not my favorite.

Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Submariner 1680
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:06 PM   #50
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The new Daytona bezel design is a fail. Takes away from the smooth, seamless look and exposes the metal ring to dings.

And for guys applauding the new allegedly more balanced case .... There's a reason Rolex had designed the Daytona case like that in the first place .... since 1963! The crown side needs slightly slimmer lugs to balance out the pushers. So, what, Rolex is admitting that EVERY Daytona produced until now was a mistake? That's just silly.

I see comments about how the new Daytona is more vintage inspired. How so? It's the opposite. Just because they put a needless metal ring about the bezel does not make it look more vintage. (Vintage Daytonas needed that metal ring to protect the fragile insert, unlike the new one. )

This new version has nothing on any of the older models design-wise ... 6263, 16520 or even the 116500.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEW DAYTONA BEZEL 6263 TRF.jpg (290.3 KB, 1031 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:10 PM   #51
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
this the bezel ring make it much more pulled together imo. less tag heuer.
Funny you should say this….i went for a meal the other day and my mate complimented me on my tag ….i was wearing my 116500 lol
Old 27 March 2023, 11:11 PM   #52
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Asking prices don’t mean jack. Of course they will increase now but don’t be fooled simply via asks
Grey dealers manipulate the market. No one is getting fooled here. Like you said, prices will increase and people will pay that increase.
Old 27 March 2023, 11:12 PM   #53
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I think the metal ring around the bezel is acceptable. But if it is true that the Daytona has transitioned to supercase, that would be a huge step backwards in design by Rolex. Part of the allure of the Daytona is the case compared to the GMT and the Sub.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:15 PM   #54
RTG
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I actually prefer the new one! Shame it's not slightly larger at 41/42mm.
Agreed. I would greatly prefer a larger size, but I did not expect them to do that. If they did go with the PM case dimensions, the new steel will look better on the wrist IMO.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:15 PM   #55
GMT Aviator
2024 Pledge Member

The King id Dead.

Long live The King!
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:15 PM   #56
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
The new Daytona bezel design is a fail. Takes away from the smooth, seamless look and exposes the metal ring to dings.

And for guys applauding the new allegedly more balanced case .... There's a reason Rolex had designed the Daytona case like that in the first place .... since the mid-1960s! The crown side needs slightly slimmer lugs to balance out the pushers. So, what, Rolex is admitting that EVERY Daytona produced until now was a mistake? That's just silly.

I see comments about how the new Daytona is more vintage inspired. How so? It's the opposite. Just because they put a needless metal ring about the bezel does not make it look more vintage. (Vintage Daytonas needed that metal ring to protect the fragile insert, unlike the new one. )

This new version has nothing on any of the older models design-wise ... 6263, 16520 or even the 116500.
At least they got the sub dials right on yours Aaron
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:19 PM   #57
sagla
"TRF" Member

Except the metal ring around the bezel, the new model looks better. I really like it.
sagla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:20 PM   #58
mini sub
"TRF" Member

You guys are unhappy....just imagine how the makers of the superclones are feeling today lol.
mini sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:22 PM   #59
cari66ean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

And for guys applauding the new allegedly more balanced case .... There's a reason Rolex had designed the Daytona case like that in the first place .... since the mid-1960s! The crown side needs slightly slimmer lugs to balance out the pushers. So, what, Rolex is admitting that EVERY Daytona produced until now was a mistake? That's just silly.

It never "needed" the slimmer crown side lugs, nor was every Daytona using them until now a "mistake". It was a valid conscious choice back then, just as the symmetrical ones are now. Neither of them were "needed" nor were they a "mistake".

The same goes for the bezel. Calling it a "fail" is yet another knee jerk reaction on something Rolex changed, like every time they do. Personally I find the the new bezel way classier, just as it probably was more of a durability improvement for them, since this design while more prone to scratches and dings (that won't show as easily on such a small surface area) will massively improve shatter resistance.
cari66ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:24 PM   #60
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I know change is generally always feared , but I'm genuinely interested in why so many believe the new Daytona bezel ring will be this unbelievable scratch magnet? Surely it's no different to the outer bezel of a Sub, or a GMT, or the Explorers, or the bezel on a PM Daytona, or indeed the case size itself of the Daytona?

Personally I think it looks very thin and most confined to the vertical edge of the bezel, so I honestly think it's a non-issue.