The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 March 2023, 01:06 AM   #1
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Do you keep any watches truly NOS and in a safe?

I didn't think this was a real thing, until my friend told me he had done this with a handful of his watches. Is this common? They weren't even that collectible lol. I get doing it with something like a vintage Patek/Rolex that is super clean, but not a modern piece.

Even my $$$ watches like the Zeitwerk, 1941 Principia, etc watches I've had, always worn well.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 01:09 AM   #2
BKScripto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy/BLNR
If I'm buying it, I'm buying it to wear. Watches are made to enjoy, and IMO I can't enjoy it while it's in the safe.

To each their own though, if that's how they want to roll.

I remember my first expensive piece... I did think about scratching it up... for like the first week.
BKScripto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 01:13 AM   #3
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
My answer is...... "nos", I wear any watch I buy, usually in an everchanging rotation.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 01:19 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
No.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 01:23 AM   #5
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

That is really dumb to do.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 01:35 AM   #6
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I bought this Peter Speake-Marin used from A Collected Man in London a few years ago. When I received it there were problems with it and I sent it back to be fixed. After over 6 months of problems getting it back and repaired properly, the owner of A Collected Man sent me the watch, working perfectly AND sent back what I'd paid for it. So basically it was free.

Since the watch had been discontinued and Peter Speake had sold the company and it was my grail watch, I tracked down a NOS from ebay and bought it.

Now I have 2 of them, one working perfectly, and a new one never worn. One is worn in rotation and the new one, never worn is kept in my home and I take it out and wind it once a month.

Hoarding a watch is not something I'd probably ever do again but this was a pretty rare occurrence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7043xx.jpg (66.6 KB, 218 views)
Old 28 March 2023, 01:39 AM   #7
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Never. I wear what I own.
JParm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 01:58 AM   #8
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Yes, but that wasn't the plan when we got them. My ex won big in Vegas in 2009 and spent some of the money on two 16710 LNs. We never wore them only because she wasn't into watches and I had a sub that never left my wrist. When we learned they had the 3186 movement and they were worth more because of that we locked them away. Fully stickered, never worn, never sized.
HHIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 02:00 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

If it was an ultra-rare / 'important' timepiece perhaps, or better still loan it to museums so others can also enjoy seeing it. For normal production, i see no point in safe queens. Wear and enjoy
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 03:08 AM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
No
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 03:14 AM   #11
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I bought this Peter Speake-Marin used from A Collected Man in London a few years ago. When I received it there were problems with it and I sent it back to be fixed. After over 6 months of problems getting it back and repaired properly, the owner of A Collected Man sent me the watch, working perfectly AND sent back what I'd paid for it. So basically it was free.

Since the watch had been discontinued and Peter Speake had sold the company and it was my grail watch, I tracked down a NOS from ebay and bought it.

Now I have 2 of them, one working perfectly, and a new one never worn. One is worn in rotation and the new one, never worn is kept in my home and I take it out and wind it once a month.

Hoarding a watch is not something I'd probably ever do again but this was a pretty rare occurrence.
I have said this before. That watch is so good looking that it hurts my eyes. It's stunning.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 03:17 AM   #12
Mountain
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Beautiful watch!
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 03:18 AM   #13
Mountain
"TRF" Member

No, I wear all mine. I can’t take them when I’m gone so what’s the point of keeping in pristine condition?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 03:19 AM   #14
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I have said this before. That watch is so good looking that it hurts my eyes. It's stunning.
Thanks Dave.

It was always my grail since seeing it in pictures. When I researched it after getting it from A Collected Man, I found that it was preowned by one of it's founders/investors and not only that it was the exact watch used in some of it's marketing campaign by Peter Speake-Marin.

https://monochrome-watches.com/speak...ty-resilience/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ahci_image.3017448.jpg (100.1 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg ahci_image.3017453.jpg (116.9 KB, 196 views)
Old 28 March 2023, 03:46 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I found that it was preowned by one of it's founders/investors and not only that it was the exact watch used in some of it's marketing campaign by Peter Speake-Marin.
Congrats on this seXXXy timepiece and that's so cool!!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 03:48 AM   #16
Daytona81
Banned

I like people who do this. Ill end up with a brand new watch at a drastic discount one day.
Daytona81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:19 AM   #17
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
No; I buy my watches to be worn.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:18 AM   #18
Easy E

Quote:
Thanks Dave.

It was always my grail since seeing it in pictures. When I researched it after getting it from A Collected Man, I found that it was preowned by one of it's founders/investors and not only that it was the exact watch used in some of it's marketing campaign by Peter Speake-Marin.

https://monochrome-watches.com/speak...ty-resilience/
Really nice!

As for the original question. I don't think I could ever do that.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:56 AM   #19
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona81 View Post
I like people who do this. Ill end up with a brand new watch at a drastic discount one day.
Really? Which NOS are less than used watches? They always go for a premium, and sometimes multiple thousands of dollars more than what a used watch sells for.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 07:02 AM   #20
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonadam View Post
If you have any questions or need any information about watches or any other topic, I'll be happy to help to the best of my abilities based on the knowledge I've been trained on.
Let me guess. You're an AI bot.

Your history of replies seem like a failed AI experiment.
Old 29 March 2023, 11:16 AM   #21
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I buy to wear. If I don't wear them enough, I sell them off.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 12:39 PM   #22
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Couple of times.

1 - Was in Saudi Arabia. Always wanted a slate Datejust, they had one at MSRP. Checked the currency conversion, it would be the same as buying MSRP at a US AD except no sales tax. Bought it. Put it aside, to wear on the day I closed the deal I'd gone there to work.

Well, they never bought. So a couple years later, I put it in rotation.

2 - AD offered me 126610LN out of the blue. Well, sure. Put it in the safe.

A year later, a mentee made an incredible accomplishment, and I went to the safe and gifted it to him.

3 - Asked AD for a 31mm OP for my wife's recent college graduation (she only likes little watches). He mentioned he also had 36mm, I bought both because my daughter will EVENTUALLY finish college.

So, I do it when an opportunity arises but not as any sort of appreciation strategy or investment.
VictorGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:17 PM   #23
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

I bought a coral op 41 last year and it needs to add a link or so and I haven’t taken the time to do it so it sits unworn with a few of the factory stickers on it. I plan on wearing it but just haven’t yet.
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 03:08 PM   #24
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
No. Closest was when I sat on my father's 75th birthday present for a year.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote