The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2023, 04:33 AM   #1
Josunese1975
"TRF" Member

What would you do? 32xx caliber movememt question.....

It seems Rolex released the new 2023 models with the same 32xx caliber movements. I've been watching from a distance all the talk about the low amplitude/losing time of these 32xx movements. I personally own a 126200 Datejust with the 3235 movement. Knowing how much difficulties many of the owners are/were having with this movement my question is: Would you sell any or all of your watches with the 32xx movement before any issues come up or just keep & service the watch when the problem arises? I'm debating whether to keep my 3 year old Datejust or not. It's still running great right now with 270 amplitude but I don't know when the problem may arise like so many others have experienced. What would you do or have done? Sell now or have faith that nothing will occur. And if it does then just send it to RSC hoping they fix it the first time with fingers crossed?. I worked hard to buy this watch but the thought of potentially having a watch with what seems like an incurable problem is turning me off. What would you do?
Josunese1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:48 AM   #2
Mountain
"TRF" Member

I would keep it and if it goes wrong within warranty, have Rolex repair it. I’m sure Rolex will solve the issue eventually. Given the strength of the brand I find it hard to imagine them continuing to flood the market with troublesome movements. Surely, a solution has either been found, or will soon be found?!?!
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:52 AM   #3
tifosi
"TRF" Member

I do not plan on selling my 32XX powered watch. If I have issues, it'll go for service.
Old 28 March 2023, 04:58 AM   #4
Josunese1975
"TRF" Member

Thank you that answer.

But it has been 8 years I think since the release of this movement. That's a long time for this problem to continue with no permanent fix in sight. Sometimes I think whether I have a potential "lemon" of a watch or movement on my wrist....much like a new car that's a lemon....looks great but keeps having problems that causes continuous headache. Too bad we don't have lemon laws for watches like we do for cars.
Old 28 March 2023, 05:02 AM   #5
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

So I’ve got 2 32xx watches. A 124060 and a 126610LV. The 124060 has already been in for the issue and although I’ve only had it back a couple weeks it’s running like a champ. The LV I keep a close eye on and it’ll go as soon as it starts if it does. My plan is to hold on to them in hopes a permanent fix happens within warranty period. If it’s still going on 4 years from now then yeah I’ll dump them into something neo vintage with the 31xx. Those movements are solid. My thinking is at least I have two so when ones at the doctors office getting fixed I can spend more time with the other one lol
JMGoodnight369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:03 AM   #6
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Depending on the year of production, not all 32xx movements are the same. Later iterations may be good.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:15 AM   #7
KdPg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I would keep it and if it goes wrong within warranty, have Rolex repair it. I’m sure Rolex will solve the issue eventually. Given the strength of the brand I find it hard to imagine them continuing to flood the market with troublesome movements. Surely, a solution has either been found, or will soon be found?!?!
100% this
KdPg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:31 AM   #8
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Explorer View Post
Depending on the year of production, not all 32xx movements are the same. Later iterations may be good.
No evidence of it being fixed with new movements, yet.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:36 AM   #9
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Keep and not worry is my response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josunese1975 View Post
But it has been 8 years I think since the release of this movement. That's a long time for this problem to continue with no permanent fix in sight. Sometimes I think whether I have a potential "lemon" of a watch or movement on my wrist....much like a new car that's a lemon....looks great but keeps having problems that causes continuous headache. Too bad we don't have lemon laws for watches like we do for cars.
But the car you're driving isn't a lemon and you're acting like it is.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:37 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Personally not worried one but, but some here are. YMMV and that’s ok

Buy an older Rolex if you don’t have confidence in the new movements to each their own.

Caveat, just don’t chime in on any of the incoming threads to congratulate owners that choose to buy references with a 32xx movements.

That would be disingenuous
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:51 AM   #11
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What would you do?
Honest answer? Get a timegrapher, take data in all 5 positions, and join the long thread with your results. No hurry, keep the watch, you still have guarantee.

saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:52 AM   #12
Josunese1975
"TRF" Member

Haha... my two cars are both 22 and 20 years old respectively. Both have been very good to me. No lemons. Besides, they're way past being lemons anyway. The lemon car example was just hypothetical.
Old 28 March 2023, 06:34 AM   #13
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
I'm gonna be a contrarian here because I can. Look, it's been 8 years since the introduction of the 32xx movement, and the Crown still has not found a permanent fix to the problems. Assuming that an amplitude issue with your 32xx arises after the warranty period, will Rolex fix it gratis? I'm not sure about that. So, given the apparent defective design, I would sell and move into a 31xx which is, by all accounts, relatively bullet proof. So many folks have had their 32xx in for warranty repairs multiple times, and it's a cryin' shame that they have to endure the inconvenience and loss of use of an expensive time piece because of one or more movement defects. Just my $0.02.
Old 28 March 2023, 07:02 AM   #14
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I'm debating this myself and I go back and forth constantly. There's a part of me that think there's no harm in waiting out the warranty period (both my 32xx watches have at least 4 years left). But I am worried about resale. So let's say one or both my watches develops the issue 2 years later and I get it fixed and decide to just sell it like many have. What if by then the problem has become widely known and absolutely decimates resale? Now I have a lemon watch that I would take a huge hit trying to sell. I do think if it gets to that point where it's been confirmed this is an inherent design problem with the 32xx and people start trying to dump them en masse, we are probably also going to see a class action against Rolex. So maybe there will be some compensation anyway. So this kind of makes me think I should just hang on and see what develops.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:19 AM   #15
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

My two 32 based watches have run superbly from new. If they develop faults they will be repaired. Both are still under the original warranty. Longer term I will play it by ear.

I've lost two 31 movement mainsprings, both within the 5 year warranty period. Inconvenient but not the end of the world.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:34 AM   #16
Josunese1975
"TRF" Member

What do you think is the percentage of all the 32xx watches produced has this low amplitude/ slow time since inception 8 years ago? Best guess.... 1%, 5%, 10%? Even higher? Is this problem making a mountain out of a mole hill? Or a real problem that needs to be addressed by Rolex asap?
Old 28 March 2023, 08:22 AM   #17
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
I do not plan on selling my 32XX powered watch. If I have issues, it'll go for service.
If one loves the look and feel of their watch, then this may be the best option
Especially if one is not experiencing any issues.
There's no point throwing the baby out with the bath water over the possibility of having a problem with their watch long term or accurate timekeeping isn't a high priority between services

What's the worst that can happen?
It'll cost more to maintain/service than Rolex say it will and or run poorly in between services
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:31 AM   #18
aboutadog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Stop worrying about what might happen and enjoy your watch bud.
aboutadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 03:21 PM   #19
saxo3
"TRF" Member

What would you do? 32xx caliber movememt question.....

Quote:
What do you think is the percentage of all the 32xx watches produced has this low amplitude/ slow time since inception 8 years ago? Best guess.... 1%, 5%, 10%? Even higher? Is this problem making a mountain out of a mole hill? Or a real problem that needs to be addressed by Rolex asap?
Obviously you did not read the long data-based thread about the 32xx issues, which contains important input from Bas (aka SearChart) and many others. One example only:

saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:09 PM   #20
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Keep. For me, it would only make sense to let go off the watch if you've taken it several times to the RSC and it still performs poorly. If you haven't had an issue so far, you're worrying about nothing.

I'm personally ok to go through the RSC process if needed. So far I own two 3235 based models: SD43 and TTSub41. One is still unworn but runs at -6 s/d when fully wound up and resting in horizontal dial up position. So, I suspect it will need a service when I start wearing it, we'll see how it behaves. The other one ticks at +1/-1 s/d and I wear it frequently, on rotation with 3 or 4 other pieces.

I don't mind the whole 32xx "design fault". I personally think it's blown out of proportion. Worst case scenario, the watch needs to be fixed out of warranty, I pay 750 euros and get another 2 years warranty before the problem develops again. Most likely however, it'll take many years to develop again, if at all.

They'll get it permanently fixed eventually, I'm pretty sure of that.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote