The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 3 October 2014, 07:01 PM   #1
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

Tudor Subs ETA movements question for watchmakers.

Considering that many Rolex/Tudor expert watchmakers are active in this sub-forum, I'll repost my question also here…

When did Tudor start to modify the ETA movements in their Submariners ?

I know that today they modify the 2824-2 with a different regulator (triovis ?) and a KIF shock absorber.

But I keep seeing pictures of mid-late 70s Subs' movements with the stock Etachron regulator, i.e. other than the decoration these would be stock ETA movements, right ?

When did they actually start to modify them ?
Thanks for any insight.
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2014, 09:50 PM   #2
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
No idea, sorry. Wouldn't know a Etachron regulator if it bit me on the backside.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 03:03 AM   #3
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
No idea, sorry. Wouldn't know a Etachron regulator if it bit me on the backside.
dP
Oh, believe me. If an Etachron regulator bites you on the backside you'll never forget it !!

I was gathering info on Tudor Sub movements since I was considering flipping my Blackbay for one of those.
But now I'm thinking I'll be going in a different direction: Tudor Oysterdate Chrono. Either BigBlock or early pre-Tiger (Rolex signed crown and caseback). Personally I'm liking the design of the pre-tigers a bit more and they seem to be a bit more affordable too.

You do own some of those, don't you ?
Old 15 October 2014, 06:30 AM   #4
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I thought the old Tudors ran Rolex movements and new Tudors run ETAs. There may have been only in the USA though as they have only recently been reintroduced.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2014, 09:22 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I thought the old Tudors ran Rolex movements and new Tudors run ETAs. There may have been only in the USA though as they have only recently been reintroduced.
Rolex began marketing the Tudor in the mid 40's with the idea to use third party movements (AS/Eterna, Grenchen for example, which merged with ETA in 1978) in order to provide quality watches at a lower cost, however, some of the early models did, indeed, use Rolex in-house movements..
Old 15 October 2014, 09:38 PM   #6
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Rolex began marketing the Tudor in the mid 40's with the idea to use third party movements (AS/Eterna, Grenchen for example, which merged with ETA in 1978) in order to provide quality watches at a lower cost, however, some of the early models did, indeed, use Rolex in-house movements..
On a related topic, I read somewhere that the 2824 movement was actually commissioned to ETA by Rolex for their Tudor watches. Is there any truth to this ?
Old 16 October 2014, 03:22 AM   #7
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
On a related topic, I read somewhere that the 2824 movement was actually commissioned to ETA by Rolex for their Tudor watches. Is there any truth to this ?
That's interesting I have an idea of someone who may know and I'll ask, however I don't think it was see here: http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2824/eta2824.html

the design seems completely un-rolex as well, although the 2892 is likely ETA's best movement and the 2824 is imo 2nd. There are very nice examples of 2892s by DD out there, one of my favorites the Blackbird has one in it which get close but are still quite far from Rolex movement imo.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 06:07 AM   #8
mrfreaz
"TRF" Member

They started using a custom Trivolis Regulator towards the end of the Prince Submariner run, I believe around the late eighties. The advantage over the Etachron is that it's more resistant to getting knocked out of timing due to impacts. Harder to adjust though. The other big modification is the KIF shock absorber, which is what Rolex has always used instead of Incabloc. Also, the quick date change mechanism is faster, and begins changing about 11:55, and clicks over exactly at midnight.
mrfreaz is offline   Reply With Quote