The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 30 October 2019, 04:28 AM   #61
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaroush View Post
I have several of both. The Sub is more iconic but the Seamaster is a better watch.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 07:53 AM   #62
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
No chance. But, who cares? Rolex is more "prestigious" than Laurent Ferrier. More prestigious than Lange.

To me, "prestige" is overrated in most anything in life. It doesn't guarantee quality, performance or even price. It only guarantees that your average non-enthusiast recognizes your purchase. If that matters to you, great. If not, buy what you love. Buy the better watch and be thankful a bunch of status-seaking nonothings aren't driving up the price and causing 5-year long waitlists.
Always great comments! Couldn’t agree more! I love my Seamaster and iv owned a few subs they are great watches, but in the current market they are way over priced and hyped.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 03:10 PM   #63
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post

A lot of threads on this forum make me feel like the buyer is buying for the wrong reason.

But eh, there are bigger problems in the world

I agree with what you’re saying though!
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 07:11 PM   #64
petay993
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, Snoopy, FXD
Omega would need to limit production to match Rolex in the desirability stakes. Every store is crammed with the full range available immediately. Whilst this is technically good, it doesn't mess with the buyers head like Rolex where FOMO and the Veblen phenomenon have been given full reign.

Acquiring a new sports Rolex is a significant event these days for many, getting that sports Omega is just a matter of an on line click or rolling down to the mall and bundling it with the grocery shop.
petay993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 04:32 AM   #65
evlkoala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewatchguy82 View Post
Is having a Omega seamaster as prestigious as Rolex submariner?
You buy a Sub to impress others, you buy Seamaster to impress yourself.
evlkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 07:42 AM   #66
jnewell
"TRF" Member

As a purely personal matter, I like four digit Subs better than older Seamasters (heretical, I know) and newer Seamasters much better than newer Subs (especially the recent and current Subs with huge cases and ceramic bezel inserts). The next watch I buy will certainly be one of the new Seamaster 300M watches, one helluva watch and one helluva value.
Old 31 October 2019, 11:53 AM   #67
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
Short answer no
Long answer depends on how you view watches in general...is spending thousands of dollars for a piece of metal that tells “time” to gain prestige is what life is about???
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2019, 06:09 AM   #68
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Own both. Wear both. Love them equally.

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2623.jpg (117.5 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1860.jpg (199.1 KB, 226 views)
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2019, 10:16 AM   #69
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
I have 2 Seamasters (one from the 60's and one from the 90') they are a well respected brand, and IMO a better more durable & better watch. But, no not more "prestigious" than a Rolex Sub. Plus, I doubt if owned a Sub, I would ever take it diving.
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 11:45 PM   #70
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlkoala View Post
You buy a Sub to impress others, you buy Seamaster to impress yourself.
Well said. The new 42 Seamaster wave dial is a pretty fantastic watch.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2019, 08:27 AM   #71
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
I am currently wearing my TT seamster and tudors more than any of my subs. Do I feel less inferior nope, because I wear what makes me smile and brings silly grin to my face. Which at my age is quite hard.
Both are great watches however on paper the seamster is a better watch by a long stretch. But you don't buy watches with logic, or at least I don't.
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2019, 09:12 AM   #72
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
This is the most enjoyable thread to read, thank you OP!
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2019, 09:43 AM   #73
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
Sure why not? But, why do you care? It’s as prestigious as you want it to be or as it is perceived by others. What matters is how you feel about it.
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2019, 09:47 AM   #74
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
The Rolex Sub is a luxury watch. The Omega is a very nice watch. One is expensive AND exclusive (meaning hard to get). The other is not very expensive and easy to get. These latter are facts. You decide which is the more prestigious.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 12:08 AM   #75
jnewell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
The Rolex Sub is a luxury watch. The Omega is a very nice watch. One is expensive AND exclusive (meaning hard to get). The other is not very expensive and easy to get. These latter are facts. You decide which is the more prestigious.
The Subs are not luxury watches. They're very well made tool watches, and the only reason that they're currently hard to get is that Rolex is focusing production on non-stainless watches; historically they have not been hard to get. Part of the reason that Rolex watches like the Sub, the Explorer and the GMT Master are expensive is that Rolex has been superbly skilled at brand promotion and protection, which keeps new and resale prices relatively high.
Old 14 November 2019, 12:23 AM   #76
Mandy01
Banned

Watch: 126333, 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
The short answer is no.
I have both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Exactly as stated above. It is a nice piece though, but they are at 2 whole different levels
Mandy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 12:27 AM   #77
Mandy01
Banned

Watch: 126333, 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
Omega would need to limit production to match Rolex in the desirability stakes. Every store is crammed with the full range available immediately. Whilst this is technically good, it doesn't mess with the buyers head like Rolex where FOMO and the Veblen phenomenon have been given full reign.

Acquiring a new sports Rolex is a significant event these days for many, getting that sports Omega is just a matter of an on line click or rolling down to the mall and bundling it with the grocery shop.
exactly, also they have had many dozens of references over the years, constantly add or remove models, many of their watches with ETA movements and so on, it has damage the brand for sure.
Mandy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 09:50 AM   #78
jnewell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewell View Post
The Subs are not luxury watches. They're very well made tool watches, and the only reason that they're currently hard to get is that Rolex is focusing production on non-stainless watches; historically they have not been hard to get. Part of the reason that Rolex watches like the Sub, the Explorer and the GMT Master are expensive is that Rolex has been superbly skilled at brand promotion and protection, which keeps new and resale prices relatively high.
I've been thinking about this. I think both points are true, in a way. Watches like the GMT Master and the Sub used to be real tool watches. They were never cheap, but they weren't out of reach. I remember seeing pictures of Rolex watches worn by field-grade and even company-grade officers in Viet Nam.

More recently, a Speedmaster Moonwatch or a 5513 Sub was a pretty affordable watch, especially used, and was the sort of watch that you could feel like you didn't need to remove when you were working under a vehicle or doing similar work.

But the days of being able to buy a used Sub for $2500 or a Speedy for half that or less are truly gone. Making matters worse, Rolex appears to be choking the supply of stainless steel watches, which is driving prices way up. So, at least recently, Rolex is both exclusive and expensive. But even clean Moonwatches are getting relatively expensive. It's too bad. Watches like these should be more accessible, but right now various market conditions don't make that possible.

Apologies to Locutus49 if I seemed rude or short.
Old 21 November 2019, 10:39 AM   #79
DVDA
"TRF" Member

Watch: THE Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewell View Post

But the days of being able to buy a used Sub for $2500 or a Speedy for half that or less are truly gone. Making matters worse, Rolex appears to be choking the supply of stainless steel watches, which is driving prices way up. So, at least recently, Rolex is both exclusive and expensive. But even clean Moonwatches are getting relatively expensive. It's too bad. Watches like these should be more accessible, but right now various market conditions don't make that possible.
I miss the $3K 14060M sales but are they truly gone? I mean markets fluctuate. Isn't it a matter of time before that happens again? Maybe not soon, but some day.

As far as OP's question the average Joe thinks Rolex is most prestigious. Most wouldn't know Patek Philippe is more extensive.

And the average Joe that know Patek if left with a case containing a Rolex Submarine 114060, Richard Mille, VAcheson Constantin, and A. Lange & Shone would pick the Rolex.

If you are looking for perception of wealth then Rolex, if you are looking for quality then go with the one you think is better. My personal opinion is Planet Ocean is nicer than Sub. But both are great and I don't care what people think.
Old 22 November 2019, 12:44 PM   #80
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

Not even close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 03:53 AM   #81
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Silly question.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 03:57 AM   #82
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Never
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 11:49 AM   #83
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Omega seamaster as prestigious as Rolex submariner

Quality, yes.

Prestigious in the eye of the common person, no

If the question was 'is the Rolex as good as the Omega', the answer is yes.