The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 March 2010, 03:33 AM   #1
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Rolex Submariner-Serial Number Question

Question for your Rolex vintage experts: What does it do to the value of a 5512 Submariner, 3 mil. serial number, if the full serial number AND the reference number can no longer be read on the case because of wear and tear, and buffing? In this particular situation, there are Rolex service papers being offered with the watch (the case was refinished during this RCS service, according to the papers), and the papers also have a record of the purported serial and reference numbers, but on the case itself the numbers cannot be read properly, even under a magnifying glass. Is there any other way to confirm the serial and reference numbers? The dial is correct for the 5512, and everything else on the watch is authentic Rolex. Any input greatly appreciated.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 04:01 AM   #2
KlausM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex +
The papers are not worth a thing if they can't be related to the watch. Without the serial and reference number you can't verify a thing. In my opinion it has a huge impact on the value of the watch. How do you know the watch isn't a 5513 from e.g. 1980?
There are no other ways of confirming the numbers.
BR
Klaus
KlausM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 04:47 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah, good point. I guess I was hoping there was some trick by a watchmaker to bring out the full serial number. I attached photos that show the areas between the lugs where the numbers used to be. Faint outlines can be made out, but not the full numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUB3.jpg (134.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg SUB1.jpg (145.2 KB, 126 views)
Old 31 March 2010, 05:20 AM   #4
swissautopro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3.3M 1655 Mk I
I have to say, that is a very odd wear pattern. Typically, the serial number wears from the top down. While it is apparent this is the case with yours, it looks awfully uniform. But it could be the pic. If you have a friend in law enforcement, there is a way to get the full numbers, the same way they retrieve the numbers from a gun with the numbers filed off or eradicated in some other way. However, I don't know what impact that procedure would have on the case. It seems like it was some chemical reagent, but it may have been a magnetic procedure - I can't remember. If this post is just silly, please avoid flogging me.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt." Unknown

"Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food." Proverbs 12
swissautopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 12:20 AM   #5
smallcandle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Omega PO
I'm just becoming interested in 5512's and 5513, and for a novice like me not having the case number and serial number present would turn me off. Personally, I like having the peace of mind that the watch I'm buying is authentic, and I just don't know enough yet to clealy determine authenticity without some case numbers. So to me, I wouldn't even consider a watch like this. JMHO.

Things got out of control and I had to stab a clown...
smallcandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 03:23 AM   #6
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
What about checking the caseback? It should be date stamped with the production date, shouldn't it?

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Kokyuryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 05:49 AM   #7
KlausM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex +
Casebacks can be replaced and cannot verify a serialnumber.
BR
Klaus
KlausM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 06:29 AM   #8
kayaker21
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
If you have service papers

When I toured the Rolex repair facility in Toronto Canada,the manger showed me a watch that was so badly damaged that they replaced the case ,that may be a option if you can prove it,s linage.
kayaker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 06:31 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the feedback. I passed on the watch because of these issues, which was a shame because it was stunning otherwise. The Rolex paperwork stated that the case and bracelet had been refinished at RSC Beverly Hills. I wonder if it's possible that RSC actually buffed off the numbers when they refinished the case. The numbers could have been worn to begin with, and a good buffing might have removed what was left. I don't suspect any funny business by the seller, so it was an odd situation. Assuming that the watch in question was indeed the same one listed on the RSC paperwork, I wonder how RSC knew the serial number in the first place if it couldn't be seen.