The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 January 2010, 10:04 AM   #31
oakalley
Banned

Watch: 1680,16750,16610
9411 Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick09 View Post
I have a chart that shows the 9411 9411/0 94110 with squre hands only if that helps.
Patrick, Thanks very much. I would appreciate you PM'ing the chart to me.
Arthur
oakalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2010, 10:27 AM   #32
Dennis in MA
"TRF" Member

Yup. Got a nice 14K OP circa 1955. Looks great, runs fast. Gotta ship it out. Already talking to Bob Ridley. (And every time I see his name, I think it says Boo Radley. LOL)
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2010, 10:28 AM   #33
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18k RedThunderBird
It is not about price with us. It’s about quality of work. We have demanding customers that want there watch to run extremely well so if you under stood what it takes to do a proper est. on vintage Rolexes with worn parts, you might not say the same about our charges. Our customers come to us because we are recommended. I do agree about price gauging by under qualified repairmen as well as the qualified but this is a business and if you have low over head could mean inferior tools used to repair for cheaper price, I’m not interested. Look these are not cheap watches if you own an expensive car you understand it’s in the car best interest to bring to qualified up to date mechanic. You see it is hard to type everything that’s happening in the repair field right now but things are changing for instance I have more than $10,000 dollars in Updated training in the last year. whereas some of the other guys cry about free education go figure....that why the new 21st century certification that is being required by Rolex is being failed at 50% it is $1700 to take test but I do believe you have a right to think the way you do but without education it is just an opinion based..

PS I will follow up after checking the site for watchdoc
Thanks

Michael The watchmaker
Horologier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2010, 11:31 PM   #34
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dad's 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horologier View Post
without education it is just an opinion based..
Experience can be the best teacher. I went to law school for 3 years, and didn't learn crap till I get to Court and started "doing".

1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2010, 03:40 AM   #35
oakalley
Banned

Cheapest isn't always the best, BUT

sometimes we get carried away by the idea that if it isn't the most expensive, it isn't the best. In some cases the best is the best, in some cases it's because the individual, business, etc. hypes themselves to the point that public perception makes them the best. We see this in all areas of life. Restaurants, automobiles, clothing, you name it. Sometimes we buy the sizzle instead of the steak.

I agree with horoligier, if you have a rare, irreplaceable piece, you want to send it to the folks who are the best at doing what you need to have done. On the other hand if your watch is a model that is fairly common, I believe that a well trained and well recommended qualified Rolex certified watch repair person should be able to perform the service as well as one of the super elite watchmakers. Some of us don't have gazilliions of dollars to support our watch habit. That doesn't mean that we don't love the few watches we have in our "collection", it just means that we need to not be wasteful with what we do.

I went to www.watchrestoration.com just to see what they were charging. I'm sure they offer the very best in service, but to charge 125-150 for and estimate seems pretty pricy. Also unanswered was ,does the estimate become part of the total price if you chose to have them service the watch, or is it a separate and freestanding charge? Another thing that caught my eye was down at the bottom of the page after listing all the various services and prices, was the statement “Ask about our Premium Services”. What does this mean? If you get the “Regular” service, it will be OK, but if you really want our undivided attention, you need to request “premium” service. That seems like me going in a patients room and saying” I can give you pretty good anesthesia for xx price, but if you want the cardiac monitor, blood pressure machine and the latest drugs, you have to sign up for “premium” anesthesia.
Just my .002
Arthur
Old 11 January 2010, 03:46 AM   #36
oakalley
Banned

Peter, you are so right

I spent three years in anesthesia training, and I learned more in the first six months out on my own practicing in a rural hospital, with no "Safety net" of staff fellow residents, etc., than I learned in the three years of training. Experience is a great teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson later.
Arthur
Old 11 January 2010, 03:46 AM   #37
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakalley View Post
Another thing that caught my eye was down at the bottom of the page after listing all the various services and prices, was the statement “Ask about our Premium Services”. What does this mean? If you get the “Regular” service, it will be OK, but if you really want our undivided attention, you need to request “premium” service. That seems like me going in a patients room and saying” I can give you pretty good anesthesia for xx price, but if you want the cardiac monitor, blood pressure machine and the latest drugs, you have to sign up for “premium” anesthesia.
Just my .002
Arthur
I saw that on their page and thought the same thing. I would hate to see what their "Premium Services" cost!

*RIP PAL 1942-2015
Old 11 January 2010, 05:42 AM   #38
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I spent three years in anesthesia training, and I learned more in the first six months out on my own practicing in a rural hospital, with no "Safety net" of staff fellow residents, etc., than I learned in the three years of training. Experience is a great teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson later.
Arthur
That is very true we have students coming from Swiss training working as watchmakers that cannot diagnose problem watches. but I would be willing to bet that with the changes in medicine that you also have to get updated training as well correct? as far as our business we are required to be 21st century certified to keep big watch parts account. the cost is a lot to keep updated. not counting the Tools and equipment. The American watch & Clock makers Instate are the governing body concerning certification here in America and I did not see the gentleman even belong to any of AWCI and had stuff piled on his bench what we call a dirty bench I bet that Picture may be gone soon. This Guy at watch doc did seem pretty cool though in that he does have some experience and wants to educate but old teachings it is just different then mine or some others. There is something to be said for experience I agree with out mine I might be clueless but this is a discussion about what is unacceptable cost for repair and what corners are cut to due such repairs and my experience is mostly with Vintage watches there is no way to do just a simple service on such as well as timing process takes about week and to have a properly regulated watch before giving to customers. all watches can be dipped and flipped.... as we call it the business as well as half jobs. they used to use a product called solo-lube to do this just clean and dry it in solution don't even take watch apart. ( this was stuff was Used in the Bulova service center for many years and was approved method but times have changed... I mean nothing but respect for all my fellow watchmakers Professional, hobbyists, as well as the seasoned veteran... we just don't always see Eye To Eye because of cheapness and losing there customer base they could never charge what it takes. I am the Education chairmen for Fl watchmakers Assoc. We are doing our best to offer training to qualified watchmakers trough classes offered by www.AWCI.com navigate site it may give you a better understanding of what we as professionals are doing help. Any info helps but I am up against cost $$$ and I cant beat cheapness. We have clients that are willing to pay we are not cutting corners for profit and submit a detailed Est as well as high grade service.. in comparison we make your watch like a high performance engine.

Thanks guys!!! this is all good I like to see what is happening out there and what customers getting there watches serviced really feel it help me provide better service and understanding for what we provide to our customers

Really check out www.AWCI.com its not the most informed but a good start

Michael The watchmaker
Old 11 January 2010, 05:59 AM   #39
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
sometimes we get carried away by the idea that if it isn't the most expensive, it isn't the best. In some cases the best is the best, in some cases it's because the individual, business, etc. hypes themselves to the point that public perception makes them the best. We see this in all areas of life. Restaurants, automobiles, clothing, you name it. Sometimes we buy the sizzle instead of the steak.

I agree with horoligier, if you have a rare, irreplaceable piece, you want to send it to the folks who are the best at doing what you need to have done. On the other hand if your watch is a model that is fairly common, I believe that a well trained and well recommended qualified Rolex certified watch repair person should be able to perform the service as well as one of the super elite watchmakers. Some of us don't have gazilliions of dollars to support our watch habit. That doesn't mean that we don't love the few watches we have in our "collection", it just means that we need to not be wasteful with what we do.

I went to www.watchrestoration.com just to see what they were charging. I'm sure they offer the very best in service, but to charge 125-150 for and estimate seems pretty pricy. Also unanswered was ,does the estimate become part of the total price if you chose to have them service the watch, or is it a separate and freestanding charge? Another thing that caught my eye was down at the bottom of the page after listing all the various services and prices, was the statement “Ask about our Premium Services”. What does this mean? If you get the “Regular” service, it will be OK, but if you really want our undivided attention, you need to request “premium” service. That seems like me going in a patients room and saying” I can give you pretty good anesthesia for xx price, but if you want the cardiac monitor, blood pressure machine and the latest drugs, you have to sign up for “premium” anesthesia.
Just my .002
Arthur
Yea I know.... we are a bunch of watchmakers Not web designers and do our best with that... but the web site needs better info about Est process.... We do not hype up the Rolex repair as much and are in process of put some restorations pictures up But our EST are FREE..... if you have watch serviced it is just imposable to give a blanketed price because to get running is one thing to get running well is another and parts that wear that need to be examined before est is given.. we totally take every thing apart, in a lot of case after our pict sheet (Itemize scratches, ding, broken pieces) is done we take pictures and write an itemized est sheet out as well as parts replacement or repairs we call and send by email as well as hard copies to clients. this process takes a bit of time and is not done like in past just on price we have found to do it right with out cutting corners this is best. because like I said you can get a watch to run but to get it running to our standards as well as High standards of our client this is what we do to cover our hours and hours of expense free est are a waist of time on this end because there is always some one cheaper we concern our selves with quality not quantity

Watch EST are FREE if you have repair done this protects against tier kickers just like Lawyers there sometimes is a fee.

Michael The watchmaker
Old 11 January 2010, 07:53 AM   #40
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Watch EST are FREE if you have repair done this protects against tier kickers just like Lawyers there sometimes is a fee.

Michael The watchmaker
I don't charge a fee until I accept a case. I will review police reports to see what will be involved before I quote a fee, based on what I think will be the amount of time I have to spend on a case. Sometimes this can take 2 hours, and once I quote a fee if the client does not retain me, so be it. I do not bill them for my time to review the case to decide what I will charge, and I consider it the cost of doing business.

The client may not hire me for that case, but will remember I spent the time to review their case and might come back to me for another matter. Just the way I do business.

*RIP PAL 1942-2015
Old 11 January 2010, 09:46 AM   #41
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Peter please understand I said sometime, not all lawyer charge a fee. In our business model we have to protect our time because some of the research involved in finding parts. Taking watch apart, Diagnosing problem ect... We still have to put back together if est. not approved.... this is not ten min job or even two hour job. While the est. cost us a bit of money in time to do so. I understand other part of it as well. We are talking about simple going over. The watches that just have simple going over wear a lot quicker then professionally serviced.... Again we do a lot of Vintage repairs. this is not new watch service that I am talking about but include what we do for new watches as well.... as far as our Premium service it is to replace certain parts that still function properly but have a microscopic wear and in next 10 -20 year when parts not easily and available as well much more expensive. We replace them now at a small fee just for parts. Example Double Red sea dweller used in under water research and was presented to scientist by Rolex in his underwater habitat or laboratory in late 60s (49 years old) we were recommend for the restoration and offered this Premium service as the parts that commonly wear in time are still available but not for long. The price for the parts replaced is almost double your cost of service from the guy you use. We are a specialty service that are used by clients who want their watches to run better then factory service or simple service.
Old 11 January 2010, 09:54 AM   #42
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
as far as our business we are required to be 21st century certified to keep big watch parts account.

Hi Michael,
Referring to you comment about big watch account: Does your parts account with Rolex include parts like bezels and bracelets?
Thanks
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2010, 10:05 AM   #43
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Peter please understand I said sometime, not all lawyer charge a fee. In our business model we have to protect our time because some of the research involved in finding parts. Taking watch apart, Diagnosing problem ect... We still have to put back together if est. not approved.... this is not ten min job or even two hour job. While the est. cost us a bit of money in time to do so. I understand other part of it as well. We are talking about simple going over. The watches that just have simple going over wear a lot quicker then professionally serviced.... Again we do a lot of Vintage repairs. this is not new watch service that I am talking about but include what we do for new watches as well.... as far as our Premium service it is to replace certain parts that still function properly but have a microscopic wear and in next 10 -20 year when parts not easily and available as well much more expensive. We replace them now at a small fee just for parts. Example Double Red sea dweller used in under water research and was presented to scientist by Rolex in his underwater habitat or laboratory in late 60s (49 years old) we were recommend for the restoration and offered this Premium service as the parts that commonly wear in time are still available but not for long. The price for the parts replaced is almost double your cost of service from the guy you use. We are a specialty service that are used by clients who want their watches to run better then factory service or simple service.
Michael:

Please don't take me the wrong way. You provide a service and I am sure you are good at what you do. I do understand the restoration aspect. I am really referring to the watch that just needs cleaning and lubrication, not major surgery.

All is good, and if I ever need a restoration, I will come a knockin!

*RIP PAL 1942-2015
Old 11 January 2010, 10:06 AM   #44
Horologier
"TRF" Member

I seen a great Thread about our topic here and sheds some light about the processes on watch service.please look at this thread our site (An Argument For Routine Maintenance...)

Michael The watchmaker
Old 11 January 2010, 10:14 AM   #45
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 72' Rolex Air King
As most have said, at a RSC you'll expect to pay 550-600 USD for a service.

I have used QualityTyme.net (John Brozek) and his site advertises for a basic service:

Complete Rolex Overhaul: Late models (with Sapphire Crystal): Starting at $365
Complete Rolex Overhaul: Older models (with Plastic Crystal): Starting at $395
Complete Rolex Overhaul: Chronograph models: Starting at $445
Vintage watch refinishing and restoration: By estimate

Other parts are extra.

He did a fine job on my '72 Air-King
Old 11 January 2010, 02:21 PM   #46
oakalley
Banned

Quote:
Yea I know.... we are a bunch of watchmakers Not web designers and do our best with that... but the web site needs better info about Est process.... We do not hype up the Rolex repair as much and are in process of put some restorations pictures up But our EST are FREE..... if you have watch serviced it is just imposable to give a blanketed price because to get running is one thing to get running well is another and parts that wear that need to be examined before est is given.. we totally take every thing apart, in a lot of case after our pict sheet (Itemize scratches, ding, broken pieces) is done we take pictures and write an itemized est sheet out as well as parts replacement or repairs we call and send by email as well as hard copies to clients. this process takes a bit of time and is not done like in past just on price we have found to do it right with out cutting corners this is best. because like I said you can get a watch to run but to get it running to our standards as well as High standards of our client this is what we do to cover our hours and hours of expense free est are a waist of time on this end because there is always some one cheaper we concern our selves with quality not quantity

Michael The watchmaker
Michael,
I'm not underestimating what you do, If I had a very valuable watch that required service to bring it back to the best condition possible, I would not hesitate to use your services.I believe that what Peter and I are talking about is a routine service on a watch that is either within the time parameters of Rolex Service, or one that is just outside the parameters, not a watch that I would consider to be very high end or exotic.

It's sort of like specialized surgery. If you needed a cardiac bypass, would you go to a surgeon who did two a month, or one who did two a day? To me that would be and easy answer. I would go to the one who did it every day. Of course I would check him out to make sure he wasn't working for the local funeral home!! lol Seriously though, I have had Bob Ridley work on several watches for me and while he wasn't cheap, the work was outstanding.The cost was a small consideration considering the quality of the work he performed.

Like you, I can appreciate the cost of training. I have to have a certain number of continuing education hours every years to be able to keep my certification as well as purchase insurance. It's expensive, and if you work for yourself, time off from work is income lost as well. It's well worth it to keep up with all the latest innovations and equipment.

It would be very easy to add an addendum to your estimate statement that the price of the estimate is included free if the service is performed in your shop. I feel certain that would clear up a lot of questions about the estimate. also a short explanation as to what constitutes "Premium Service" would be helpful as well.

Thanks very much for the valuable insight and information.
Arthur
Old 11 January 2010, 02:50 PM   #47
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Thank you Arthur for advice. you are riight about the web info LOL. and Bob Ridley is an awsome guy I know him we have talked a bit about education in the past. I should call and say hello to him more often.

There is a problem in our industry right now in that we have a lot.... of watchmakers even well trained that can do great work but are not keeping up with the times and equipment. The watch will run with aftermarket parts I have seen them come into my shop so you better believe that they don’t have big company account or if they do won’t have for long. Things are changing and the big companies are getting tired of poor quality get in and out cheap service.
There really truly is no way to service these watches for $150 -250 and do it right without cutting corner the watch is well crafted machine just need proper care and I will stake my rep on it if they show me how this is done without doing proper service, parts replacement, Oiling, Regulating, timing analysis with a rundown sheet. Most guys can’t even tell me what that is because it is just being taught I will covert and eat my shorts if they aren’t cutting some corner for these prices LOL
Check out this site and navigate to the spare parts issue as well as read info other places
http://www.manuelyazijian.com
Also look at www.AWCI.com these may explain better what is happening
Michael The watchmaker
Old 11 January 2010, 03:20 PM   #48
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Hi Michael,
You might of missed my question about big company parts account:
Referring to you comment about big watch account: Does your parts account with Rolex include parts like bezels, bracelets, crystals? Do you ever user aftermarket parts for old subs or that type of watch?
Thanks
Old 12 January 2010, 08:00 AM   #49
Flash Gordon

Cost of watch service is all relative. A good watchmaker operates in a small town in US can charge a lot less and still provides quality work. Watch service is primarily labor cost. If a watchmaker is willing to make less on a routine service, say $150, compared to $600, it does not mean he is cutting corners. About 5 years ago, I was traveling to Bangkok for vacation and also had my DJ serviced at the Rolex Thailand. It was a routine service with a replacement of crystal and crown. The cost was less than $100. The same service at NYC Rolex would have been easily $600. Why the big difference in price? In Thailand, the labor cost is a heck a lot cheaper than NYC. Did they cut corners? No.

A good watchmaker operates in a small town in US can operate on the same principle. He is most likely a one-man show with a helper in the front. His overheads are low and this is the important part, he is willing to make less!

The same arguement holds true if you service your Mercedes at an AD or an independent shop. The inde is willing to make less and his overheads are low. He does not have to cut corners to make a good living for himself. It is a myth that only AD can provide good service on a Mercedes or Rolex. It is also a myth that lower price shops will cut corners. There are many independent shops that can provide good service at a lower price whether it's a Rolex or Mercedes. I am not willing to spend over 1K for a simple brake job so I take my car to a reputable independent shop at a much lower price. The same hold true for my routine watch service.
Flash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 12:57 PM   #50
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
Hi Michael,
You might of missed my question about big company parts account:
Referring to you comment about big watch account: Does your parts account with Rolex include parts like bezels, bracelets, crystals? Do you ever user aftermarket parts for old subs or that type of watch?
Thanks

Hey my apologies I did miss this question.... I believe with our account we can provide crystals, bezel and some bands parts. Vintage is a whole different situation in that if we don’t have it in stock we network to find original parts. We provide the best possible solutions for our customers and most aftermarket parts are inferior

Michael The watchmaker
Old 12 January 2010, 01:18 PM   #51
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey my apologies I did miss this question.... I believe with our account we can provide crystals, bezel and some bands parts. Vintage is a whole different situation in that if we don’t have it in stock we network to find original parts. We provide the best possible solutions for our customers and most aftermarket parts are inferior

Michael The watchmaker
thanks a bunch. Vintage is the area I'm interested. 5512 69 sub with 1530 movement. Are there parts that can not be sourced from Rolex?
Why is Rolex so difficult with supplying new complete bracelets?
Old 12 January 2010, 01:24 PM   #52
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
Cost of watch service is all relative. A good watchmaker operates in a small town in US can charge a lot less and still provides quality work. Watch service is primarily labor cost. If a watchmaker is willing to make less on a routine service, say $150, compared to $600, it does not mean he is cutting corners. About 5 years ago, I was traveling to Bangkok for vacation and also had my DJ serviced at the Rolex Thailand. It was a routine service with a replacement of crystal and crown. The cost was less than $100. The same service at NYC Rolex would have been easily $600. Why the big difference in price? In Thailand, the labor cost is a heck a lot cheaper than NYC. Did they cut corners? No.

A good watchmaker operates in a small town in US can operate on the same principle. He is most likely a one-man show with a helper in the front. His overheads are low and this is the important part, he is willing to make less!

The same arguement holds true if you service your Mercedes at an AD or an independent shop. The inde is willing to make less and his overheads are low. He does not have to cut corners to make a good living for himself. It is a myth that only AD can provide good service on a Mercedes or Rolex. It is also a myth that lower price shops will cut corners. There are many independent shops that can provide good service at a lower price whether it's a Rolex or Mercedes. I am not willing to spend over 1K for a simple brake job so I take my car to a reputable independent shop at a much lower price. The same hold true for my routine watch service.
I agree with some of what you are saying not everybody will cut corners. People with low over head can do a good job but comparing oranges to oranges is one thing. Believe me when I tell you these people who charge $75 -250 may not have a Rolex parts account or they know someone in which selling part is against Rolex agreement. See what it takes to service a High grade watch properly takes the proper procedures and tools these don’t come cheaply. When we brought our Mercedes to Mr. Khan in Montclair NJ (since retired) although not the cheapest he was a great deal less than the dealer. We trusted him as well as his shop was clean with updated tool and his training was on the wall. The dealer also sent him the problem jobs as well as let him sign up for training. He didn’t hide his mistakes with band aids

As a business can only succeed with a good plan if shop tools are $50,000 and training another $25,000 how much would I have to charge to be profitable? Rolex does not want to hear that you can repair more than two watches a day…anymore and this to them is cutting corners so if one a day is $150 how much is profit and why own a business unless you figure a way to maximize profit by not cleaning something that wont poise a problem for year anyway the customer will never know and perceives that person as a master and cheap. To me I would just work as something else and make more money but if I know how to do this job and make it profitable by not completely cleaning they are in and will get as much work as you can fill them with not because of quality the customer may not ever know until it go back to factory or service center. I may be much deeper then I can impress upon you but believe me some where the price reflects a cheap repair and that’s what you’re getting. All field are not comparable watchmakers are just now being held accountable you will this change in years to come.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten

Michael The watchmaker
Old 12 January 2010, 02:33 PM   #53
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Michael,
You know what would really help us understand is if you could post here or your site what warn parts look like and what could of been done to prevent the warn damaged parts. Pictures of what happens when a watch receives a bad service.
thanks
Old 12 January 2010, 02:36 PM   #54
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thanks a bunch. Vintage is the area I'm interested. 5512 69 sub with 1530 movement. Are there parts that can not be sourced from Rolex?
Why is Rolex so difficult with supplying new complete bracelets?
I really don’t have an answer for that.... I hear it both ways. Some get what they need and others are not, but there are two sides to every story.

We can still get parts from Rolex for these models but sometimes have to network certain parts from our sources. We can surly service your needs as well as find proper band or original replacement.

Prices will be different and can change any time. Wish I had better answer for you about Rolex’s polices but it can be very time consuming to locate parts and fix worn watches that why we do this specialty type of work, bringing them back to an accurate state while keeping the original parts on your watch that make it more collectable, valuable and complete. No heavy polishing on case . This can take away the form and takes a very skilled professional.

Hope this helps
Michael The watchmaker
Old 12 January 2010, 02:45 PM   #55
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Michael,
You know what would really help us understand is if you could post here or your site what warn parts look like and what could of been done to prevent the warn damaged parts. Pictures of what happens when a watch receives a bad service.
thanks
That is a good idea. This week I will try to post that. I am getting ready for a class in Miami That we have contracted AWCI to teach to professionals. We are hosting this with The luxury watch exchange... so my plate is full. keep look out though I may surprise us...

Quick note about worn part is have watch serviced properly it that simple some watchmaker don’t even use fresh oils or even only use one oil in whole watch.... surprised me to......

Eductaion Chairmen for Fl state Watch & Clockmaker Asso

Michael The watchmaker
Old 13 January 2010, 07:53 AM   #56
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Could not have said it better myself. Agree with this statement 110%. Well said!

*RIP PAL 1942-2015
Old 13 January 2010, 10:57 AM   #57
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Michael,
Is there any parts in a Rolex 1530 movement that the Rolex parts account or Rolex no longer provides? Can you tell when servicing if there is any aftermarket parts used from a previous service?
Thanks a bunch.
Old 14 January 2010, 05:26 AM   #58
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Michael,
Is there any parts in a Rolex 1530 movement that the Rolex parts account or Rolex no longer provides? Can you tell when servicing if there is any aftermarket parts used from a previous service?
Thanks a bunch.

Most of the time we can see if inferior parts are in the watch, but we are not perfect and if parts is working and well made with no burrs it is possible not to see them, we are able to get most parts for 1530 but have not run into unavailability yet who knows when they run out we just network to find original parts this is mostly on the older 1030 movements like in no crown guard subs and such.

Michael The watchmaker
Old 14 January 2010, 05:47 AM   #59
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete View Post
Could not have said it better myself. Agree with this statement 110%. Well said!
I am not sure if my Mercedes dealership was charging $550 to service something, if I would let someone else work on my car for $150 that is about 25% of the price. My first thought would be... what is not getting done like getting original parts or using right seals something is being corner cut that’s a big price difference. Like in watch oils I have about $700 dollars or more just in watch oils that need replacing every so often, not because inferior and required by manufacturer but because I am sure I am doing the best job for customer. That’s just a small part of why we get paid what we do. It simple you are defending price and have no clue what you’re getting as long as watch runs who care (it can be bad in long run to think this way) when you have worn parts not proper lubricated or even worse aftermarket parts….. Now Rolex doesn’t want to service your watch. Education is needed in our community or customer and watchmaker alike thing are changing we just have to keep up with the times…..

Michael the watchmaker
Old 14 January 2010, 05:55 AM   #60
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
or even worse aftermarket parts….. Now Rolex doesn’t want to service your watch. Education is needed in our community or customer and watchmaker alike thing are changing we just have to keep up with the times…..

Michael the watchmaker
Well said. I have seen a few watchmakers that provide price just for the cleaning and say parts extra. That can also help understand the cost. A good point on the aftermarket parts on the inside of the watch. I read so much about aftermarket or fake parts seen from the outside of the watch, but hardly anyone talking about the aftermarket parts in the movement. I would think that would affect the value of a vintage watch??