The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

View Poll Results: Who’s got the biggest and best DRSD:
Jedly1's 34 59.65%
DadsWatch72's 10 17.54%
Onkyo's 12 21.05%
Other’s (show picture in thread if this is selected) 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 March 2010, 10:09 AM   #31
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
We have waited months for Pav to show his new non Mayer dial lol.. Is this his?

no, that is mine, pavs dial is nicer.

jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2010, 10:24 AM   #32
layne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
no, that is mine, pavs dial is nicer.
All three DRSD's are great IMO. Jed's would just get the edge because of the unbelievable condition it is in.

Yes Pav, I have been waiting for you to post pictures of your new daytona, but so far nothing!!?!
layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2010, 11:23 AM   #33
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Each is a beautiful example
Old 22 March 2010, 11:51 AM   #34
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
We have waited months for Pav to show his new non Mayer dial lol.. Is this his?
Sorry, but I have been sooooo busy with work that I have not had time to take pics of my new non-Mayer 6239 (with original box and papers) which I picked up within 2 weeks of my fake dialed 6239 (which left me in a very bad mood to say the least but was a great learning experience) ..... and in the meantime I picked up a wonderful 6264 with a super minty dial and hands which my friend is familiar with.

All in all... a happy ending.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2010, 01:33 PM   #35
ddnyc77

i've never wandered into the vintage section before, all i can say is wow those are some beautiful DRSD...
ddnyc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2010, 02:24 PM   #36
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Watch: PAM 111 'N'
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
I'm giving free drinks with every vote for DadsWatch72......and a chicken in every pot.
Wasn't that Obama's campaign slogan???
marcinthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2010, 03:08 PM   #37
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
sorry steve, just realised i missed a picture off the upload on the original post i put up :)

thanks guys, all great watches, and dads watch coming from his old man, that's priceless, wish my old man hadnt sold his redsub down the pub.
Dang, I'm even more envious of your DRSD. Absolute grail piece that should rightfully be in the discussion of best DRSD (non Patent Pending) in the world. Only thing that would trump it is if someone had the foresight to acquire one new from the AD then stash it in the vault unworn.
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 12:03 AM   #38
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Watch: the skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionstorm View Post
Only thing that would trump it is if someone had the foresight to acquire one new from the AD then stash it in the vault unworn.
I feel exactly the opposite about that and have always felt that there is no more a sad waste than someone buying something to stow away, undisturbed. My brother has the best DRSD I've ever seen. It doesn't have any boxes, has never seen a safety deposit box or safe and has never been the object of a single staged photograph. It is worn daily, goes around the world to exotic dive locations and even lives out its hard life on a Nato strap. It has that indefinable magic that very few watches ever achieve, esp. a safe queen. True Mojo.
KJacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 07:26 AM   #39
mastermixer
"TRF" Member

Mine is pretty white...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2397.jpg (31.4 KB, 81 views)
mastermixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 08:45 AM   #40
delgado
"TRF" Member

I voted for Jeds ...both.. I like all the watches posted so far.. but, I am biased
delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 08:49 AM   #41
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgado View Post
I voted for Jeds ...both.. I like all the watches posted so far.. but, I am biased
yes you are !!!, but damned good to see you here Ed :)
Old 23 March 2010, 09:31 AM   #42
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJacques View Post
I feel exactly the opposite about that and have always felt that there is no more a sad waste than someone buying something to stow away, undisturbed. My brother has the best DRSD I've ever seen. It doesn't have any boxes, has never seen a safety deposit box or safe and has never been the object of a single staged photograph. It is worn daily, goes around the world to exotic dive locations and even lives out its hard life on a Nato strap. It has that indefinable magic that very few watches ever achieve, esp. a safe queen. True Mojo.
That's nice that you feel that way.

But from a Rolex collector's POV, provenance means very little unless it has to do with someone famous, or that the timepiece was used officially in a military or COMEX capacity.

Would you be swayed to spend more money on a well-used car that had been driven many miles, had numerous scratches and mismatched tires than a prime, cherry example with very little miles, solely b/c the owner of the well-used version had a great story to tell about where the car had been and what it had been through? If so, please tell me when you're in the market again for a car, and I'll gladly broker the purchase of one with "great provenance".
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 10:18 AM   #43
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Just curious,
Those that collect these 35-40yr + like new watches, what do with them? Are they in a display cabinet, in vault or on your wrist? If locked up, how does that satisfy?
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 11:09 AM   #44
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Just curious,
Those that collect these 35-40yr + like new watches, what do with them? Are they in a display cabinet, in vault or on your wrist? If locked up, how does that satisfy?
I wear all my vintage watches ..... my DRSD I wear 1-2x per month (carefully!).
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 11:48 AM   #45
lepilo
"TRF" Member

Patina for me

Jed's is my first choice, followed by Pav's. Not a big fan of snow white tritium.
lepilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 03:07 PM   #46
achova
"TRF" Member

Watch: it vary.
Quote:
Just curious,
The one I posted is worn daily by the son of the original owner. We got together over the weekend. Talked about travel / cars / and to discuss his selling the DRSD so I could take a few more photos. It is not babied but at $24-25k it's available.
Old 23 March 2010, 05:32 PM   #47
jedly1
"TRF" Member

as a rule i wear ALL of my watches as the mood dictates, most a lot rarer and valuable than the drsd, but with the drsd the whole point of why its so good is that it hasnt been worn, so think it'll have to remain that way, a good collection/museum piece.
Old 23 March 2010, 07:44 PM   #48
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:
Just curious,
All except one of mine are 30+ years old, I wear them every day, mostly for a couple of weeks each, then I switch.

no vault, no display cabinet, just tucked away in a drawer waiting for me.....
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2010, 02:40 AM   #49
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgado View Post
Great to see you here Ed.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2010, 07:10 AM   #50
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Quote:
Just curious,
I wore mine everyday for 16 years. I don't wear it now since it is so hard to have it serviced by RUSA. I was lucky to have it serviced and I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to have them do it again. It has only been serviced by Rolex and I like being able to say that. I know there are some very good watchmakers out there and I could have one of them service it if Rolex refused but I don't think I would feel as good about it for some reason. Like I said, I wore it for a long time so it's not like I haven't had time to enjoy it. I enjoy keeping it looking brand new now.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 12:47 AM   #51
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionstorm View Post
That's nice that you feel that way.

But from a Rolex collector's POV, provenance means very little unless it has to do with someone famous, or that the timepiece was used officially in a military or COMEX capacity.

Would you be swayed to spend more money on a well-used car that had been driven many miles, had numerous scratches and mismatched tires than a prime, cherry example with very little miles, solely b/c the owner of the well-used version had a great story to tell about where the car had been and what it had been through? If so, please tell me when you're in the market again for a car, and I'll gladly broker the purchase of one with "great provenance".
I have to say I agree with KJacques but for another reason. I have this fantasy that I may be able to acquire a well worn DRSD someday because it might be something I can actually afford. For me, a great watch with a great story, that I can actually have on my wrist, beats a museum piece any day.
Old 31 March 2010, 04:03 AM   #52
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Jeds....just stunning. His watches are beautiful and his knowledge is just amazing.

Love Kevin's brother's too, a real example of a sports watch doing what it was built for.

j
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote