The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 March 2010, 04:44 AM   #1
Stesol
"TRF" Member

Help with value of my '63 GMT

Hi folks,

I am new to this forum and am looking to get your opinions on a watch I bought 13 yrs ago in NYC from a dealer whom a collector friend at the time introduced me to. I recently took it to Rolex service in San Francisco to get some details on it after a stranger in a restaurant offered to buy it from me....I own a number of watches that I have purchased over the years solely based on the fact that I like how they looked, I am not a "collector" - IWC, Orsis, Jager LeCoultre, Omega & others..
Here are the details along with attached photos:
Serial #: 1,045,514
Case stamp: IV '63
Movement: 1565
Bracelet: 7206 (Date stamp: "2 66")
- I asked why bracelet doesn't match date - obvious answer was original bracelet was changed...
Condition: VG
All original save for dial finish - hands and hour dots have been relumened - was told good job but they cant verify it was done by rolex.
Question: I have seen similar GMT's listed on various sites at a wide range of prices -$5k-$18K....why such a wide range & where does mine fall in that range?
Many thanks for any insight,
-Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1039.jpg (91.8 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1040.jpg (80.0 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1046.jpg (89.2 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1043.jpg (69.0 KB, 389 views)
Stesol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 05:11 AM   #2
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Nice watch! First you would look at Box & papers, with everything original. Assuming the complete original package isn't there, the value decreases.

The dial and hands have been refurbished/ relumed. That takes another bit from a collector standpoint.

The bracelet is a riveted style which can be a little more collectable for the person who needs that on the older models.

With that said, you must then think of the movement, springs, seals, case tube, crown, and anything else that may need to be replaced, plus the servicing.

You have a nice watch, but may need to show it some TLC to bring a higher asking price.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 06:00 AM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Sorry, not enough of an expert to talk value, experts will be along soon.
I just wanted to say that your reason for buying watches, because the way they look, is the best reason to buy watches.
Welcome to TRF and thanks for sharing that vintage beauty.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 01:47 PM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

The pointed crown guards are desirable to a collector. Looks like the photos were taken with the flash on so it's a bit tough to get a true feel for the dial.

I think it looks like a gilt dial which of course is correct for the era. Might be relumed? Again tough to tell given the lighting. I agree the hour and minute hands look to latter replacements, but the small 24 hr. hand is correct for the era. Insert looks to a later replacement as well (not uncommon).

From my view it looks like the lugs might be slightly rounded.

Asking prices can be all over the map hence the wide variation you see. B&P and all the bit do add a bunch to the overall value. I'd say you're in the lower side of the range you found.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 11:55 PM   #5
Stesol
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Based on the feedback I will post better pics later today- sans flash - showing the watch at different angles.
-Steve
Old 24 March 2010, 01:32 AM   #6
eparisini
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263 FAP
You would need a chapter ring dial SCOC or an Underline dial, hands, bezel insert...
Maybe value is about $ 6.000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ne9mo0.jpg (246.0 KB, 294 views)
Old 24 March 2010, 04:27 AM   #7
Orchi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stesol View Post
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum and am looking to get your opinions on a watch I bought 13 yrs ago in NYC from a dealer whom a collector friend at the time introduced me to. I recently took it to Rolex service in San Francisco to get some details on it after a stranger in a restaurant offered to buy it from me....I own a number of watches that I have purchased over the years solely based on the fact that I like how they looked, I am not a "collector" - IWC, Orsis, Jager LeCoultre, Omega & others..
Here are the details along with attached photos:
Serial #: 1,045,514
Case stamp: IV '63
Movement: 1565
Bracelet: 7206 (Date stamp: "2 66")
- I asked why bracelet doesn't match date - obvious answer was original bracelet was changed...
Condition: VG
All original save for dial finish - hands and hour dots have been relumened - was told good job but they cant verify it was done by rolex.
Question: I have seen similar GMT's listed on various sites at a wide range of prices -$5k-$18K....why such a wide range & where does mine fall in that range?
Many thanks for any insight,
-Steve
Err buddy Steve...welcome to the TRF Vintage forum...

It would appear that your early 1mil case series 1675 has the correct period Gilt Dial variant...
which perhaps could be the amongst the 1st batch of Gilt Dial that does not...
have the CR(Outer Chapter Ring minute track) marked "SWISS-T<25"...
during the transitional period.

The Swiss Made 7206 Oyster bracelet marked "66" on its Clasps may appear late...(only the Clasps may have been replaced later)
but also possibly it's original to the watch...

However...it would help a lot if you can get closer shots of the Hands n Lume markers...
to see if they have indeed been relumed or not..

Hopes to see more closeup scans of the Dial...soon.
Orchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Stesol
"TRF" Member

New Pics -

Here are few new pics - I am not very good at digital photography - took these outside but still got reflection in watch face....additionally my macro setting didn't allow me to get much closer..I'll stick to my day job.
Rolex SF did say it had been relumened..
-Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1064.jpg (126.9 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1065.jpg (109.7 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1067.jpg (79.9 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1066.jpg (75.8 KB, 253 views)
Old 25 March 2010, 07:32 PM   #9
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
too bad about the re-lume job..now its definitely in the low end of the value range..
on these older pieces the dial is 50% or more of the value!
if the dial where completely original you would have been much happier!
I do know a fellow who has had a lot of succcess removing the re-lume..hopefully they just applied it on top of the old tritium instead of scraping the old tritium off and then applying the relume.
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2010, 01:17 AM   #10
Stesol
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback - I would like to better understand the re-lume approach you mention; can we speak live?
-Steve
Old 29 March 2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Stesol
"TRF" Member

Close ups pics - really....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchi View Post
Err buddy Steve...welcome to the TRF Vintage forum...

It would appear that your early 1mil case series 1675 has the correct period Gilt Dial variant...
which perhaps could be the amongst the 1st batch of Gilt Dial that does not...
have the CR(Outer Chapter Ring minute track) marked "SWISS-T<25"...
during the transitional period.

The Swiss Made 7206 Oyster bracelet marked "66" on its Clasps may appear late...(only the Clasps may have been replaced later)
but also possibly it's original to the watch...

However...it would help a lot if you can get closer shots of the Hands n Lume markers...
to see if they have indeed been relumed or not..

Hopes to see more closeup scans of the Dial...soon.
OK,
so I found out how to get closer in pics - let me know what you think??
Cheers,
-Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1102.jpg (65.5 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1104.jpg (71.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1105.jpg (63.4 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1106.jpg (73.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1107.jpg (68.9 KB, 145 views)
Old 29 March 2010, 08:28 AM   #12
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
I had this exact watch a few years ago without the relume, and I wish I had kept it. I think you are looking at $6,000 even with the relume. The price of gilt dial Subs and GMTs in original or mostly original condition continues to escalate. I would not let it go cheap. Restore the lume if it bothers you. Otherwise, enjoy it.
Old 29 March 2010, 09:47 AM   #13
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The highest price I have seen is in the $10K range. Most seem to be trading for 5 to 6k which is way north of what the watch sold. I friend of mine paid like $225 in 1969 and I paid $550 for my 1675 in 1978. Both of these watches have been serivice many times and still look new. I would not take $5K for mine today.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 12:57 PM   #14
gerhad
"TRF" Member

Hi Everyone,
I am new too! Looking at it, how i wish that relume was never done to begin with.
At the rate the demand for Sports Rollies are going out there at the moment, i would say it really does lie on how much someone is willing to give for it.
Last i saw on Fellows n Sons, was at the 4000 pound mark, and that was in real bad condition.
Rgds, G.Wolfgang
gerhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 09:32 PM   #15
swissautopro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3.3M 1655 Mk I
Due to the dial relume and what appears to me to be heavy polishing by someone who didn't know a lot about proper polishing of a Rolex, I would pass on this one completely. There are far better examples out there if you are willing to wait.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt." Unknown

"Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food." Proverbs 12
swissautopro is offline   Reply With Quote