The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 January 2014, 10:35 PM   #91
Batmanseadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,LV,1680
Thanks guys for your reply
Batmanseadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 01:28 AM   #92
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Below is another white-lettered dial 1680 Submariner being offered for sale at the link below. It is circa 1974 and the serial number is 393XXXX, which is another example of the white-lettered 1680 dials predating the 4XXXXXX serial numbers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE...item5afb3b16aa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub 2.JPG (44.4 KB, 808 views)
File Type: jpg sub 3.JPG (39.9 KB, 803 views)
File Type: jpg Img_2371.small.jpg (70.1 KB, 805 views)
File Type: jpg Img_2372.sm.jpg (75.5 KB, 800 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 02:25 AM   #93
Hawk99
"TRF" Member

MK 1 dial.
Hawk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 07:23 AM   #94
bluemartinifan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
nt
bluemartinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 07:37 AM   #95
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemartinifan View Post
nt
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 07:39 AM   #96
bluemartinifan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
mistaken post Kevin - meant to delete - I commented on this thread a month ago
bluemartinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 08:02 AM   #97
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemartinifan View Post
mistaken post Kevin - meant to delete - I commented on this thread a month ago
Because it is sold on ebay is not the issue here Russ, and as you noted in your deleted post, it does not make it correct nor does it make it incorrect. If you think the dial is incorrect for the watch, it would be nice to see some supporting documentation. This dial on the ebay watch in the 38 to 39XXXXX serial number range appears to be another example of what I commented on it a post a page or two back in this thread. Also in this post, I provided several other examples for you to look at. If you have something substantive to indicate otherwise, I am all ears.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 6 April 2014, 01:44 AM   #98
nick_is_home
"TRF" Member

Icon5 How to check this Sub for Authenticity? Help needed...

Hi There,

I'm new to the Forum and looking forward to learning more about Rolexes!
I hope replying to this thread is the right place for this post as it's about a white dial 1680?

I currently have a couple of "modern" Rolexes a SS DeepSea (my every day watch which I love!) and a White gold Day Date II with black dial and diamond number markers (not sure of the office term yet sorry) :) - love them both in their own right!

I have just put a holding deposit down on a "birth watch" which is a watch I've always wanted - a 1978 Submarina Date (Serial 571xxxx) and I wanted to post the pics I took on my phone (in shop!) to see if anyone can spot anything not right with the watch in terms of originality, sorry the pics are all I have. It doesn't have any papers (is this a deal breaker and does it greatly reduce the value?) but comes from a good source and is being sold by a well respected local jeweler who is guaranteeing the watch for 2 years and also guaranteeing it's authenticity. But it doesn't hurt to check with the real experts on here! :)

Having read the posts before with intrigue I think the face is a MkII due to the shape of the 66's, the Left of central "L" and the HRO and CER not fully lining up (the R of CER falls short of the end of the HRO). So I think the face is original.

The bracelet seems a bit light? So not 100% sure that's original, is there a way of checking??

Also is the green sticker on the back of the watch likely to be original for this year?

What sort of value in this (seems good?) condition should I be paying for this in the UK please?

The front of the watch seems to be plexi-glass - is this also as expected and does it matter if it's not original? And is there a way to tell?? I have no reason to doubt it's total originality but without papers and history I need some help and re-assurance and any help or tips greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards
Nick

nick_is_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2014, 07:35 AM   #99
Snapper7
"TRF" Member

Hi Nick,

Looks a nice watch. Just what I am looking for at the moment too.
Re box and papers I think it adds about £500 or so on average but for me it's not a deal breaker but then I'm looking for something I can wear regularly, not some sort of safe queen. I'd rather put my money on the nicest watch I can find rather than papers that sit in a safe or drawer.

Bezel insert is service replacement (thin font as opposed to fat font) and the crystal also looks service replacement as it is beveled. It is plexi and that's exactly how it should be and exactly how we like them! These are pretty common replacements. The watch looks like it's seen some polishing as it's lost the chamfers on the edges but the crown guards look even.

Difficult to see from the photos if the hands are original. Do they match the markers?

Bracelet looks to be the correct 93150 and yes they are quite light, no match for the new bracelets.

Can't help re the green sticker I'm afraid but yes looks like a MkII dial to me too.

I'd say it should be about £4500??

Cheers
SS
Snapper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2014, 06:35 PM   #100
definitelydan
"TRF" Member

scratch on dial - should i be concerned?

Hi guys - incredibly informative thread.

i just acquired a white sub recently. Recently saw a "blemish" on the dial which i thought was caused by light reflected onto the dial. however, after applying polywatch on the crystal, i realised that it is an actual blemish rather than the light playing tricks with my eyes. As far as i'm aware - this is a service dial marked "tritium" but is actually luminova. now my questions are - is it common for dials to be 'scratched' while being replaced during service? would RSCs still stock such dials and could i get a replacement?

Picture:-

Thanks!
definitelydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2014, 04:03 AM   #101
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by definitelydan View Post
Hi guys - incredibly informative thread.

i just acquired a white sub recently. Recently saw a "blemish" on the dial which i thought was caused by light reflected onto the dial. however, after applying polywatch on the crystal, i realised that it is an actual blemish rather than the light playing tricks with my eyes. As far as i'm aware - this is a service dial marked "tritium" but is actually luminova. now my questions are - is it common for dials to be 'scratched' while being replaced during service? would RSCs still stock such dials and could i get a replacement?

Picture:-

Thanks!
Not sure but I think the scratch is between the 8 and 9 markers? A photo of the dial writing in focus would be helpful but it appears from what I can see that you have Luminova hands not sure about the dial.

The RSC can replace the dial with a new service dial, as can the recommended watchmakers on here. There are several types of service dial that have been used over the years, some with a paste that appears like Tritium and some that are brighter white luminova, so it would be important to ensure the new dial matches the existing hands if possible.
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2014, 06:04 AM   #102
harrjaso
Banned

Watch: Daytona 6263
5.8mil

Sent from an iPhone on a secluded island
harrjaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2014, 08:49 AM   #103
definitelydan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedssd View Post
Not sure but I think the scratch is between the 8 and 9 markers? A photo of the dial writing in focus would be helpful but it appears from what I can see that you have Luminova hands not sure about the dial.

The RSC can replace the dial with a new service dial, as can the recommended watchmakers on here. There are several types of service dial that have been used over the years, some with a paste that appears like Tritium and some that are brighter white luminova, so it would be important to ensure the new dial matches the existing hands if possible.

Yes it's between the 8 & 9 markers. Here's a picture of the dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 June 2014, 08:51 AM   #104
definitelydan
"TRF" Member

Here's the tritium designation

The dial behaves like a luminova dial though. If I charge it with a torch it glows very brightly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 June 2014, 06:23 AM   #105
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Yes you are correct it is a Luminova service dial and has luminova hands to match. Whilst a replacement dial and hands will not be popular with some, there are some fantastic sharp looking watches owned by TRF'ers with all new dials, hands and Plexi's.

An RSC will be able to replace the dial with another white luminova dial easily, not sure what the cost would be though........
Old 17 June 2014, 11:28 AM   #106
definitelydan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes you are correct it is a Luminova service dial and has luminova hands to match. Whilst a replacement dial and hands will not be popular with some, there are some fantastic sharp looking watches owned by TRF'ers with all new dials, hands and Plexi's.

An RSC will be able to replace the dial with another white luminova dial easily, not sure what the cost would be though........
Thanks Steve - guess i'll hold out till the next service.
Old 17 November 2014, 04:54 AM   #107
Pict
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Ok just got myself a 1680 and reading this excellent thread i think it might point to mine having a Mk 1 dial, although its 5.9 mil from 1979, anyone any thoughts, cheers

Pict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 04:23 AM   #108
Pict
"TRF" Member

Anyone....mk 1 dial?

Old 19 November 2014, 06:32 AM   #109
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, yes that is a Mark 1 dial !
Old 19 November 2014, 06:48 AM   #110
katana
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub.1680/ Datejust
Here comes another one, Submariner 1680 with Mk I dial ......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3112.jpg (96.2 KB, 595 views)
Old 19 November 2014, 07:17 AM   #111
Pict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congratulations, yes that is a Mark 1 dial !
Thanks Steve, i really was'nt that sure, so cheers.

Katana, that's very nice.
Old 2 March 2016, 09:47 AM   #112
rollie
"TRF" Member

Sorry to open such an old topic but I'm considering This 1971 sub 1680 as its my birth year. I will be changing the strap to a dark brown leather nato if I go a head.
It's just been overhauled by Rolex.

Just trying to learn more about it before I pull the trigger.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.6 KB, 465 views)
rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 10:26 AM   #113
jdog111578
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 7016, 94010
Service dial, hands, and insert. Looks to also be a 703 trip lock crown (Original would have been a 702) Case has had a few polishes but doesn't look too bad and is pretty even. Top guard may be a bit thinner, but may also just be the angle. . Hopefully that will tell you what you need to know to justify whatever the price is.
jdog111578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 05:58 PM   #114
rollie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog111578 View Post
Service dial, hands, and insert. Looks to also be a 703 trip lock crown (Original would have been a 702) Case has had a few polishes but doesn't look too bad and is pretty even. Top guard may be a bit thinner, but may also just be the angle. . Hopefully that will tell you what you need to know to justify whatever the price is.
A stunning example of a gents vintage Rolex Submariner watch. This Submariner is set in a polished steel 39mm case, original dial and hands, date feature, automatic movement on a nato strap (Many colours and styles available).

Serviced by Rolex with a service warranty.

This Rolex watch had been serviced and refurbished back to its original condition by Rolex and comes with a 2 year Rolex international service warranty from date of service.

Are you saying this description may not be 100% true?
Is it better to find a original 1680 or one that has been redone by Rolex?

Sorry for all the questions but it's a big investment for me.
Thank you
rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2016, 06:56 AM   #115
bieb1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
That is what the man said. Refurbished back to its original condition by Rolex means that they have replaced all the vintage parts by new service items. The movement is probably still 1971 and the case, but the rest new. As a result, the watch will look like new, but have little value to collectors. If you like it and the price is right, go for it. It the price is high or you are thinking it is an investment, walk away.
bieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 07:03 AM   #116
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Can you assess condition, originality on this one?

Can you guys help with this one?

Appears as MK 1 dial am i correct?

Also what is your assessment on condition and originality?

Date wheel: Open 6 and 9 not a flat 3.

Is the date wheel it period correct for a 1978 1680 568xxxx?

it may have had a bracelet, crown and insert change but is the new insert, crown period correct?

Would they affect value?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160523_224502.jpg (97.0 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg 20160523_205902.jpg (92.1 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg 3258.jpg (92.2 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg 20160523_224601.jpg (126.4 KB, 375 views)

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 07:36 AM   #117
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis7777 View Post
Can you guys help with this one?

Appears as MK 1 dial am i correct?

Also what is your assessment on condition and originality?

Date wheel: Open 6 and 9 not a flat 3.

Is the date wheel it period correct for a 1978 1680 568xxxx?

it may have had a bracelet, crown and insert change but is the new insert, crown period correct?

Would they affect value?
Insert appears to be a service replacement. 93150 bracelet was available during the era for your watch and should probably have a VC (1978) clasp code, maybe even VB (1977).

Dial is a Mark I. Date wheels were brushed silver during the late 1970s.

As far as evaluating the condition of the watch - if you like it , that is all that matters.

Old 24 May 2016, 07:48 AM   #118
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Insert appears to be a service replacement. 93150 bracelet was available during the era for your watch and should probably have a VC (1978) clasp code, maybe even VB (1977).

Dial is a Mark I. Date wheels were brushed silver during the late 1970s.

As far as evaluating the condition of the watch - if you like it , that is all that matters.
Thanks Springer.
So is the date wheel correct?
Also crown, crystal and hands seem original?
Finally what is the condition based on what you see?
Many thanks for the kind response.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 07:58 AM   #119
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis7777 View Post
Thanks Springer.
So is the date wheel correct?
Also crown, crystal and hands seem original?
Finally what is the condition based on what you see?
Many thanks for the kind response.
I don't know if it is correct, and frankly, it is not something that I pay much attention to when buying vintage watches. It could be one before they went to the brushed silver wheels. The case condition appears to be fairly consistent for a 37-year-old watch.

Old 25 May 2016, 05:39 AM   #120
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Dial is a mk1 dial in very nice condition.
I don't like to comment on the condition of the watch case when Few views are presented. See this thread for why: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...Things+learned
Like Springer said the date wheel for the period should be brushed silver and I can't tell from the pics whether it is or isn't brushed. The bracelet should likely have a VC code.
Hard to tell whether the crown and tube are correct. My Subs from 1978 don't have a gasket on the tube and have three dots on the crown. You can unscrew the crown and check. The insert is likely from a later date.