The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 August 2015, 04:17 AM   #1
ceconomakis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Where to start?
Unhappy with VC and Richemont service

I am a collector and have over 28 Rolex, 18 Panerai, 5 JLC, and numerous other brands.
One thing I can attest is that the last 6 of the latest Richemont watches I have bought, have all needed warranty work within the first 7 months. Never had a Rolex fail on me.
Unfortunately, I am shocked and more than a little upset at what has recently happened to my new OS Chrono.
I have purchased my first VC in almost 20 year this January. It was a blue OS Chrono. Subsequently in March I was able to purchase an OS Dual Time.
Both watches brand new from VC boutiques.
To my surprise both watches had issues within the first 4 months. The chrono hour marker would not reset to the vertical 12 position and the Dual Time reserve indicator would not go all the way up.
I discussed with the boutique and was told that a VC watchmaker was coming to Dubai. So happily I took the Chrono to the watchmaker and he accepted that this was an anomaly and he would repair it. I was told it would be one week to 10 days.
That over 2 weeks ago.
Today, only after I physically went into the boutique, I was told that the watch will be ready after September 12.
The reason, there is only one watch maker for 4 brands.
I am sorry but I didn’t pay for a Vacheron to have a non VC watchmaker repair it. Secondly I never would have taken it in if i knew this upfront.
This group mentality and cost efficient drive has seem to have an effect on Richemont service.
I cannot accept this has become of VC.
Old 25 August 2015, 08:46 AM   #2
PJ S
Banned

If the watchmaker has been trained to (and is experienced in) repair (of) VC watches, then you've nothing to complain nor worry about.
At the moment, the Swiss watch industry is on its annual month-long hiatus, so if parts are needed, it'll be a week or so before they'll be dispatched.

It's disappointing to read of your experience with Richemont group brands' products, and whilst you've nothing negative to say about Rolex, there are many who'd have a different story to tell – so it just goes to show that no matter the price tag level, none are infallible.

Usually, I see Richemont on the receiving end of a rant due to their service centre(s) cocking up a repair or claiming a watch has been dropped/knocked, with the owner having to fight and argue with them to fix it under warranty – but this is the first I've came across such a situation where each of the last 6 purchased brands had early life failings.
Mind you, better that than a year or two after the warranty period, but that's being pragmatic, which can be hard when you're personally involved and going through the experience.

Given that, maybe you should seek some extension to the warranty – if not on the others (too late now?) then at least on these VCs.
Old 26 August 2015, 02:56 AM   #3
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Part of the enjoyment of owning these complicated little beauties is having confidence in their reliability. Gone, in my opinion, are the days if tolerating quirky performance or idiosyncratic behavior of a very expensive mechanism, regardless of warranty coverage. Hope you get this straightened out and enjoy your timepiece.
Old 27 August 2015, 03:51 AM   #4
ceconomakis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Where to start?
An update on my above post concerning my experience with Richemont after sales service.

First and most importantly I must thank and praise the involvement and the attentiveness of Alexandre Ghotbi. He contacted me immediately to obtain my side of the details and then he did his behind the scenes magic.

Subsequently, the regional manager of VC called me to assure and to alleviate any concerns or questions I may erroneously have had about the quality of VC’s after sales service.

In my post I did truthfully say that I never had this occur with any other brand, but on the other hand, I can honestly and happily claim that I never have experienced this level of managerial attention with any other brand before.

VC’s immediate intervention and involvement is beyond compare and I shall never doubt the brand’s nor the management’s commitment again.

It is refreshing to have a haut de gamme brand within the umbrella of a conglomerate act in this personal fashion.

Again I would like to thank the commitment of all VC staff. This does not solve the multiple failing of several Richemont watches, but VC does redeem itself and more in my eyes.
Old 25 October 2015, 12:36 AM   #5
flyboyx999
"TRF" Member

There is always light at the end of the tunnel. Glad everything we will
Old 25 October 2015, 01:29 PM   #6
Hamish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5575
Alex rocks
Old 26 October 2015, 10:58 PM   #7
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceconomakis View Post
An update on my above post concerning my experience with Richemont after sales service.

First and most importantly I must thank and praise the involvement and the attentiveness of Alexandre Ghotbi. He contacted me immediately to obtain my side of the details and then he did his behind the scenes magic.

Subsequently, the regional manager of VC called me to assure and to alleviate any concerns or questions I may erroneously have had about the quality of VC’s after sales service.

In my post I did truthfully say that I never had this occur with any other brand, but on the other hand, I can honestly and happily claim that I never have experienced this level of managerial attention with any other brand before.

VC’s immediate intervention and involvement is beyond compare and I shall never doubt the brand’s nor the management’s commitment again.

It is refreshing to have a haut de gamme brand within the umbrella of a conglomerate act in this personal fashion.

Again I would like to thank the commitment of all VC staff. This does not solve the multiple failing of several Richemont watches, but VC does redeem itself and more in my eyes.
Did Vacheron contact you because of this post/thread? or just on their own.. or do you know? I Am curious. It sounds like just because they have great service, they'd contacted you. I hope that's the case. I trust Vacheron's name, or JLC's for that matter. From what I've been told by a dealer locally, even JLC has drastically stepped up their service in the last few years..
Old 11 November 2015, 02:23 AM   #8
Wacker23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex sub
I wouldn't be happy if I paid a ton of money for two watches of that caliber that had a problem in the first 6 months of ownership, even if Mr.ghotbi personally came to my house.
Old 27 August 2019, 02:57 AM   #9
Argentius
"TRF" Member

I'm pleased to hear that you were taken care of, this makes me feel comfortable to keep an Overseas on my wish list, I only hope to be near a boutique with one in stock soon!

I'm pleased that this recent refresh of the model seems to have improved their demand.
Old 28 August 2019, 11:43 AM   #10
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Their response is important....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceconomakis View Post

Errors and problems can and will occur with anything, and I think it makes all the difference in how one responds when issues do arise. I had a similar experience with AP. I purchased a Royal Oak, new from a AD. Had to send it back twice. I was and still say I am real disappointed in the watch itself but to AP's credit their responsiveness and service was great.
Closed Thread