The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 November 2019, 01:19 AM   #31
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSplash View Post
The price is 16,5k€
That's around 18 k USD, which seems significantly below market for a 1680 Red MK IV. I'd be expecting up to around mid-20s if everything checks out...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 07:13 AM   #32
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Mine has had too much of it... though 9 o'clock mark is darker, maybe covered by the shirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018.11.05 IMG_8138.jpg (155.3 KB, 146 views)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 10:20 AM   #33
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
Exposure to a lot of sunshine will fade an insert, add some diving and sea air and it will fade even more. Sunshine and lots of light slow down the darkening of the lume. So a really faded insert and light lume is as it should be.

This is still a mystery.

My watches, had received a lot of sunshine in their early life, ( Greece ) and despite the fact that they are for the last 7 years 11 months a year in a bank safe, all remain "white", and this applies to both Subs and GMT's.

On the other hand, bezels, faded f a s t , especially, the GMT II's. But this was due to materials.

So, I am not sure, what exactly applies.

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 10:33 AM   #34
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Just as with dials turning tropical it is mostly a paint defect if I am allowed to speculate. Some fade and some doesn’t. Old lume is however known to darken i dark spaces and you will see patina go slightly lighter if taken out into the light as previously explained.
Old 16 November 2019, 10:48 AM   #35
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Just as with dials turning tropical it is mostly a paint defect if I am allowed to speculate. Some fade and some doesn’t. Old lume is however known to darken i dark spaces and you will see patina go slightly lighter if taken out into the light as previously explained.
Per, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've never, ever seen any conclusive studies or reporting that proves old lume darkens in dark spaces. We've all seen tons of vintage Rolexes with well-patina'd lume and faded inserts, and there's no way anyone knows the many-decades history of all of these watches. We've read a ton of hearsay, and repeating of this lore, so if you, or anyone else, can provide some tangible, absolutely conclusive proof that shows this is the case, please provide it.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 10:58 AM   #36
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16803
Could it simply come down to where these parts were produced? I have a 1991 Sub with white hands and a dial with yellow hour markers. If you google this model and year and check images, they all aged the same way. The theory is that the hands and dial were produced in different locations using different lume compounds, so they would never age in exactly the same way as they are materially different.
oysterquartz17000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 11:39 AM   #37
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
How do we explain the fact (hope all agree) that 5513 Sub Maxi Mk1 is always white, or I dare say even snow white?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019.11.09 NEW PEARL DOT 1.jpg (145.8 KB, 116 views)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 11:57 AM   #38
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipćo View Post
How do we explain the fact (hope all agree) that 5513 Sub Maxi Mk1 is always white, or I dare say even snow white?
Wait...ALL Mk I Maxi dials are ALWAYS white?
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 07:29 PM   #39
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Per, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've never, ever seen any conclusive studies or reporting that proves old lume darkens in dark spaces. We've all seen tons of vintage Rolexes with well-patina'd lume and faded inserts, and there's no way anyone knows the many-decades history of all of these watches. We've read a ton of hearsay, and repeating of this lore, so if you, or anyone else, can provide some tangible, absolutely conclusive proof that shows this is the case, please provide it.
Well.. I am not old enough to say for a fact it darkens. I haven’t put away stuff in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s and seen it change.

I can however confirm that it often lightens up once out in the world again. Not a lot but patina can change slightly once taken out. I’ve seen this with parts and watches that have been stored away for a long time and had strong patina. Still I think more than one parameter is relevant so not only darkness will change all lume. You will probabbly be dependant on the lume compbound, humidity/moisture, light etc. I still think things stored away in darkness often darken.

A friend of mine recently bought some dial and hands from an old watchmaker. All NOS and all had been tucked away in storage for forever. They had pretty dark patina all over.

I only share my experience and am of course colored of what the community always discussed. But as with many things in this hobby we can only share experience and thougts. Who knows what’s what? If there were a simple answer this would have been known since many years. The same as why some dials turn brown and other don’t.

Old 17 November 2019, 04:04 AM   #40
jlushing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
You sound like a wonderful person. Your kids must be very proud

If you give advice that’s clearly wrong on a forum you are going to get shit from people, especially people who put a lot of time into actually handing these watches and not just commenting on every post they see to say something. Have to be able to take it if you want to have your name and opinion on every single Rolex forum post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 09:33 AM   #41
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Truth is unless you owned the watch since new you have no idea what you have

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2019, 03:56 AM   #42
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member