The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 December 2018, 10:14 PM   #1
Horatio
Banned

Cartier Santos

Hi all,

I’m a Rolex man but really like the look of the new Cartier santos in steel ref WSSA0010.

Obviously it’s a case of buying what you like but would you say it’s far inferior to a Rolex? Looking at £3,950 brand new from a TS so they are cheaper than a Rolex but does anyone own both Cartier and Rolex?

Will it not live up to my Rolex?!

Thanks
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 02:30 AM   #2
rlrobson08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
Hi all,

I’m a Rolex man but really like the look of the new Cartier santos in steel ref WSSA0010.

Obviously it’s a case of buying what you like but would you say it’s far inferior to a Rolex? Looking at £3,950 brand new from a TS so they are cheaper than a Rolex but does anyone own both Cartier and Rolex?

Will it not live up to my Rolex?!

Thanks
Every watch in the same tier as Rolex has a purchase price below Rolex. As far as branding goes, well the crown goes to Rolex. Their watches are very desirable by a large population.
Cartier makes a super fine watch and had it own icon. Would you believe Cartier is considered above the Rolex tier? Probably not.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
rlrobson08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 02:58 AM   #3
heritagewatchdealers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre de Cartier
I honestly think the Cartier Santos is a dressier watch than the rolex- to me they are different. I have owned several cartier- they are a nice classic dress watch. Rolex is more versatile- so you might just need both :)
heritagewatchdealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 01:01 PM   #4
nick c
Banned

I own both. And enjoy them equally.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 11:28 PM   #5
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Own both. Just received my santos de Cartier rose gold on a strap last week. Loving it so far and makes a good compliment as a dress watch (at least on the strap). Doesn’t feel anywhere as robust as a Rolex but that was to be expected.
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 04:02 PM   #6
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Good Evening,

I don't mean to hijack the post, but there aren't many Cartier discussions on here, so I'd like to jump in. I currently have a Rolex Explorer II (42mm) in black as my daily and I recently picked up a Panerai Radiomir PAM754 as my mix in. I absolutely love both, but have been on the hunt for a dress watch for a year now. I started looking into Cartier recently and I am really loving them. Borderline obsessively loving them.

I'm between the Santos (not sure about in medium or large) in SS and the Drive in SS. Both would be a nice change of pace from my bigger black sports watches as they both have a white dial. Which do you recommend of these two? I like that the Santos comes with both a steel bracelet and a leather strap. Very versatile. I feel like the Drive is a little sportier, but I'm having a hard time deciding.

I think there's a decent chance I'll end up with both, but if you were going to get just one, which would you get between the Santos and the Drive?

Thanks!

Mike
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote