The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 December 2018, 04:32 AM   #1
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon19 /// The Rolesium ROLEX YACHT-MASTER Club \\\

Post your pics of any SS/Platinum, aka ROLESIUM YACHT-MASTER pics here

This is also a place to discuss and amass any historical or information topics about the YM

Our resident Picture Taker Extraordinaire, Jocke put together a beautiful website here
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BCDD2185-49C2-454B-9AE4-90834EF7C5B3.jpeg (50.6 KB, 592 views)

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 05:25 AM   #2
CF999
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655 ,1675, 1016

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CF999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 09:17 AM   #3
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
The Yacht-Master is a sleek, refined and sophisticated sports watch.

It was the very first Rolex model to introduce the maxi dial, then shamelessly "copied" by the Submariner 16610LV Kermit (stolen, rather). Also the first one to have solid end links.

Portrayed by Rolex as a tool watch for regattas, perhaps it should have been called Yacht-Racer. Naming it after a licence to drive yachts make it a tad formal and pompous, if not giving it a somewhat richie rich image. Its handy bidirectional bezel was designed to track elapsed time between buoys. This is a slick butter smooth bezel action compared to the notchy Submariner rotation and rightfully so as it serves a totally different purpose. However, it never quite made it as the tool of choice among sailors favoring dedicated and affordable electronic alternatives. Basically, a similar story to the Daytona, Submariner and other so-called professional models not actually used by professionals. They've become aspiration statements for most wearers, myself included.

The mirror polished case with curvy and tapered lugs make it a dressy alternative to the more rugged and purposeful looking Submariner and its characteristic flat case profile and square lugs (six digits). Here are a couple of pictures to illustrate the beauty of the curvy and sexy case from an angle generally considered rather boring in most watches (source TRF, member SLRdude).

In the Rolesium version (steel and platinum), the solid platinum bezel (insert and ring) with distinctive polished raised numerals sets it apart from other Rolex models. The latest platinum dial iteration (116622-002) used to cost as much as a steel Daytona (latest MSRP €11.450 in 2016 where I live, before being discontinued). Also, it's technically less capable than the Submariner (100m WR vs. 300m, although both with Triplock crown). As a result, being the logical beings that we are and trying to rationalize our choices, the YM is often perceived as offering less value, if that's of any relevance in the luxury watch world where emotions truly dictate decisions.

For what it's worth, the 16622 was seen on the wrist of a few Hollywood celebrities in the mid-2000s (Charlie Sheen, Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt and Russel Crowe).

Never mind the dial colour you chose, the Yacht-Master is a total winner in my book, possibly a future classic even if it's almost 40 years younger than the Sub (the first YM 16628 was introduced in 1992).

VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 11:50 PM   #4
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

/// The Rolesium ROLEX YACHT-MASTER Club \\\

Nice shots guys.

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
Old 8 December 2018, 12:04 AM   #5
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The earlier ones are the nicest imho with this amazing dial and on a jubilee it's a sparkling festival
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg YM5.jpeg (92.5 KB, 489 views)
Old 8 December 2018, 12:38 AM   #6
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
The Yacht-Master is a sleek, refined and sophisticated sports watch.

It was the very first Rolex model to introduce the maxi dial, then shamelessly "copied" by the Submariner 16610LV Kermit (stolen, rather). Also the first one to have solid end links.

Portrayed by Rolex as a tool watch for regattas, perhaps it should have been called Yacht-Racer. Naming it after a licence to drive yachts make it a tad formal and pompous, if not giving it a somewhat richie rich image. Its handy bidirectional bezel was designed to track elapsed time between buoys. This is a slick butter smooth bezel action compared to the notchy Submariner rotation and rightfully so as it serves a totally different purpose. However, it never quite made it as the tool of choice among sailors favoring dedicated and affordable electronic alternatives. Basically, a similar story to the Daytona, Submariner and other so-called professional models not actually used by professionals. They've become aspiration statements for most wearers, myself included.

The mirror polished case with curvy and tapered lugs make it a dressy alternative to the more rugged and purposeful looking Submariner and its characteristic flat case profile and square lugs (six digits). Here are a couple of pictures to illustrate the beauty of the curvy and sexy case from an angle generally considered rather boring in most watches (source TRF, member SLRdude).

In the Rolesium version (steel and platinum), the solid platinum bezel (insert and ring) with distinctive polished raised numerals sets it apart from other Rolex models. The latest platinum dial iteration (116622-002) used to cost as much as a steel Daytona (latest MSRP €11.450 in 2016 where I live, before being discontinued). Also, it's technically less capable than the Submariner (100m WR vs. 300m, although both with Triplock crown). As a result, being the logical beings that we are and trying to rationalize our choices, the YM is often perceived as offering less value, if that's of any relevance in the luxury watch world where emotions truly dictate decisions.

For what it's worth, the 16622 was seen on the wrist of a few Hollywood celebrities in the mid-2000s (Charlie Sheen, Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt and Russel Crowe).

Never mind the dial colour you chose, the Yacht-Master is a total winner in my book, possibly a future classic even if it's almost 40 years younger than the Sub (the first YM 16628 was introduced in 1992).

Great post! I have something from Jocke coming up here soon

Old 8 December 2018, 12:43 AM   #7
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Icon2

Beautiful Pics here of the >>YACHT-MASTER<< compliments of Our resident Photo Extraordinaire Jocke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ympor2.jpg (224.9 KB, 467 views)

Old 8 December 2018, 01:09 AM   #8
solalla
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
The earlier ones are the nicest imho with this amazing dial and on a jubilee it's a sparkling festival
Great look with jubilee. I like it.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 5 mediante Tapatalk
solalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 04:04 AM   #9
shalako
"TRF" Member

Heres my V serial with the Rolex-Rolex rehaut although I think I prefer the early more sparkly dial versions. Stunning watches, very underrated and still something of a bargain compared to prices of the more regular Rolex sports models.

shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 04:14 AM   #10
r8t3d_M
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me ;)
I don't have one yet but it's such a gorgeous reference..
r8t3d_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 09:20 AM   #11
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

we have a little Sun Left here in California at 3pm. I have really been liking the comfort of that darn YM 1st Gen. It is remarkably comfortable even though there isn't any adjustment on the fly.

I was thinking that maybe something like a handcuff lock key on a key-ring would allow a user to change size, albeit not a s easily, but ready available as a Easy-link.

Old 9 December 2018, 09:46 AM   #12
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Our New Brazilian exotic Tourmaline Granite Island. Knotty alder cabinets with a black peppercorn glaze

Sounds like dinner right... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 9 December 2018, 09:47 AM   #13
mineral
"TRF" Member

Love this watch

Old 9 December 2018, 10:04 AM   #14
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post

Love this watch

Beautiful example! do you also have the Oyster bracelet?

I just noticed your signature

Quote:
Watching date changes every midnight
You know I have never seen that. You would think I knew it all, but I will have to do that without unknowingly, falling asleep...

Old 19 December 2018, 08:19 AM   #15
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Haven't had a chance to really wear my 116622. It sits in my vault waiting for my remodel to be completed, but I had to get a few wrist shots...

The Platinum Bezel is pretty amazing, and builds on the case for full platinum Rolex...

Old 19 December 2018, 08:26 AM   #16
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Ok now for some 16622 hammered platinum dial at the Baseball tryouts

Old 19 December 2018, 09:04 AM   #17
riverrat
"TRF" Member

Im not sure why I don't have one yet. Ive always loved this watch and was seriously thinking about getting this as my first Rolex. Im going to have to revisit getting one.
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 04:44 AM   #18
CF999
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655 ,1675, 1016
On the wrist today!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CF999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 04:48 AM   #19
R!$
Banned

Charley wore it on 2 and a half men

Its a very low key watch

I always thought its bezel rolled smoother than the Sub

The bezel is difficult to keep clean
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 05:34 AM   #20
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Here’s mine. It’s a beauty and glad to have it in the collection. It’s the ‘rarer’ version if such a thing exists. One of the pre-updated models with the engraved rehaut....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FE72C108-8034-4099-BFA1-E82159781B0E.jpeg (140.1 KB, 247 views)
GMT Aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 05:49 AM   #21
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Icon19 no words....just...

Old 31 January 2019, 08:07 PM   #22
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
It's my favorite watch that I've never owned
Old 31 January 2019, 08:16 PM   #23
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
It is such a crazy weird watch.. I wanted to buy the blue dialed one once with the red but than i didn't…………. I do not know what to think about this model , i like it a LOT but on the other side i do not like it... It is such a big ? to my eye.. One side would get crazy to get one as the other side says no big no back off.. Strange.
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 10:33 PM   #24
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Just traded my 16622 platinum for a 116622 Blue dial. While i really enjoyed wearing it goes with everything, I found myself not reaching for it once I added a silver dialed DJII. Will be receiving the new YM today.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 02:04 AM   #25
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Love my 16622!
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote