The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 December 2018, 01:31 PM   #1
jdarry
"TRF" Member

Bringing Rolexes into Canada

After doing tonnes of research, I still couldn't figure out whether I can bring along my Rolex watches (let's say 3 pieces) into Canada for personal use as a new immigrant.

I've read some people say that if you put it on your wrist there's a high chance the customs officers won't bother to stop you and ask about your watch, while some others say that as long as the watch is bought outside of Canada you'll have to pay the taxes and duties.

What about if I've been using the watches for a number of years and now bring them along to settle in Canada, and I must carry everything with me for sure (boxes, cards, etc) then, am I accountable for paying taxes or anything? So what should I do to make sure my watches go to Canada with me safely and legally...?

So it brings me to another question: in the future if I wear one of them to travel out of canada, I'll just have to put on my wrist and simply declare it through the customs and everything will be alright. Does that make sense?

Waiting for kindhearted buddies or Canadians to explore this complicated stuff
jdarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 02:00 PM   #2
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I don't understand why you are concerned about paying taxes in Canada if you are saying the watches were bought outside of Canada ?
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 02:05 PM   #3
jdarry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
I don't understand why you are concerned about paying taxes in Canada if you are saying the watches were bought outside of Canada ?
Oh, so they are counted as if I bought them fresh and new into Canada right? Just wonder if there are exemptions. There's an official website saying that jewelleries can be exempted but not sure about watches
Old 7 December 2018, 02:26 PM   #4
Gasguzlr
"TRF" Member

I could be wrong about this, so you might want to do some research, but here are my thoughts on the matter.

If you ARE a resident of Canada, any watches purchased outside of the country and brought back to Canada are subject to taxes, both duty and GST. If you are NOT a Canadian citizen, but are relocating to Canada, I think you are ok, especially if they were not recently purchased. They would be included with the rest of the belongings included in your move.

As far as the jewellery exemption goes, it is confusing if you try to make sense of Canada’s laws. The jewellery exemption NOT include watches (I have had personal experience with this, bringing a Panerai from France one time), unless they were made in the USA, which obviously Rolex is not. Regardless, that exemption is only valid in the previous NAFTA agreement which is currently up for major changes once approved by US congress. So, not sure how they are going to deal with that down the road.

Hopefully that helps a little. If there is a professional helping to fascilitate your move, chances are they will have a good idea regardling brfinging personal belongings when you are relocating to Canada, but as far as I know, the taxes/duties only apply to current residents/citizens who are bringing items purchased outside of Canada.
Gasguzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 03:02 PM   #5
jdarry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasguzlr View Post
I could be wrong about this, so you might want to do some research, but here are my thoughts on the matter.

If you ARE a resident of Canada, any watches purchased outside of the country and brought back to Canada are subject to taxes, both duty and GST. If you are NOT a Canadian citizen, but are relocating to Canada, I think you are ok, especially if they were not recently purchased. They would be included with the rest of the belongings included in your move.

As far as the jewellery exemption goes, it is confusing if you try to make sense of Canada’s laws. The jewellery exemption NOT include watches (I have had personal experience with this, bringing a Panerai from France one time), unless they were made in the USA, which obviously Rolex is not. Regardless, that exemption is only valid in the previous NAFTA agreement which is currently up for major changes once approved by US congress. So, not sure how they are going to deal with that down the road.

Hopefully that helps a little. If there is a professional helping to fascilitate your move, chances are they will have a good idea regardling brfinging personal belongings when you are relocating to Canada, but as far as I know, the taxes/duties only apply to current residents/citizens who are bringing items purchased outside of Canada.
Thanks dude, it's quite a good reference. Yes, there're two things confusing. First of all I'm not sure if I will be regarded as a resident with "confirmation of PR" document for my first-time landing in Canada. It would be the question of whether or not the laws on local residents will apply on me. Next thing would be if I'm able to wear them in and out of Canada in the future with the concern of "proof of taxes paid in Canada" something like that.
Old 7 December 2018, 03:28 PM   #6
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

If it’s for personal use and you are wearing the watch and no watch papers and box in your luggage, would that be subject to tax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have even DONE everything,
I just don't REMEMBER everything.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 04:28 PM   #7
jdarry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkolopez View Post
If it’s for personal use and you are wearing the watch and no watch papers and box in your luggage, would that be subject to tax?

Yea, that's the question baffling me... In case I was really unlucky and got questioned about my watch, that's going to be a problem. That case I won't be entering as a visitor (of course there's no problem on this), but rather I'll be using the watch in Canada which I'm not sure if any taxes need to be paid though
Old 7 December 2018, 09:23 PM   #8
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Just carry some proof that you have owned these watches for some time and you will be fine. Ie sales receipts warranty card or papers
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 10:19 PM   #9
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Living in Canada if you purchase a watch outside of Canada you are subject to pay the taxes of the province you are entering through, plus a 6% duty if the watch is made outside of North America.
If you are immigrating to Canada, I have no information for you. Once landed in Canada and travelling outside of Canada with said watch, upon returning, I have no information for you.
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 11:27 PM   #10
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

If you are going to Canada to immigrate, the watches are part of your personal belongings which you would think should not be an issue to bring in with you.

As far as traveling in and out of Canada, if you wear it on your wrist, nobody will ask you anything about it. I am a Canadian living abroad, and I travel in and out of Canada several times a year, and have brought more than one watch in on several occasions. They are part of my personal belongings and I have never declared them. If ever I get stopped and asked about them, I have a file on my phone with pictures of all the receipts to prove that I have owned them for a while.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 08:50 AM   #11
Tim010
"TRF" Member

When you move over as a new resident you can bring over your personal possessions with no duty obligations. You have to list the items currently with you when you land (goods accompanying) and can also provide a list to customs of goods to follow.

I moved over to Canada about 8 years ago so can only assume it is a similar process. I didn't have any problems with moving over personal possessions duty free. To be honest they barely glanced at my lists of property that I had compiled but I had everything ready just in case.

Tim
Tim010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 09:19 AM   #12
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim010 View Post
When you move over as a new resident you can bring over your personal possessions with no duty obligations. You have to list the items currently with you when you land (goods accompanying) and can also provide a list to customs of goods to follow.

I moved over to Canada about 8 years ago so can only assume it is a similar process. I didn't have any problems with moving over personal possessions duty free. To be honest they barely glanced at my lists of property that I had compiled but I had everything ready just in case.

Tim
You are correct and it is still the same.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 09:50 AM   #13
yhzdude
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

i am in and out of Canada, for work once a week.
i wear my watches...sometimes, i have a nice piece in my carry on luggage just because i feel like bringing a nice watch to go out.
i don t declare,as they are my personal watches, i don t carry proof of purchase either, but that would not be too hard to prove..it would waste my time..but..a phone call away.
in my 15 years going in and out, i have never been asked, trust me they have bigger fish to catch...they don t care what watch you wear. my watches shows marks of wear...
the majority of customs officer are students.
as an immigrant you will be fine as long as you don t bring anything illegal...
welcome to Canada, bring some warm clothes for the winter.
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 09:51 AM   #14
Tombros
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak OS, SD43
I fly often with my AP back and forth between Vancouver and LA.

They never asked anything.

Just sharing my experience.
Tombros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 10:18 AM   #15
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I travel frequently in and out of Canada, wearing various Rolex models. In fact just went through yvr with my wg ymII three days ago. Never been asked, nor even had anyone look at my watch. Hell, in yvr, during 20+ trips, theyve never even looked at my luggage...
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 10:36 AM   #16
Cerachrom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller Blue
I am living in Canada on an expat assignment (from US). There were no issues with bringing my entire household up here (including watches and jewelry) and no duties paid. I was professionally moved and there were detailed manifests although I don’t remember our jewelry being scheduled at an item level.

Nowadays I’m across the border all the time wearing my rolexes. Have never been asked about them. I do keep photos of the warranty cards on my phone just in case.

Cerachrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 11:47 AM   #17
ace12
Banned

Just go with the proof that you own the watch.
ace12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 11:53 AM   #18
squrrlz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270, 16570
I travel in and out of Canada quite frequently. I’ve never been asked about what watch I’m wearing. If you are truly worried you could keep a picture of your proof of purchase on your phone or in your email somewhere.

By the way, welcome to Canada!

squrrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 04:48 PM   #19
jdarry
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys. You guys are so helpful, truly appreciate it!! Just one thing, I saw a couple of people say on Rolex forum that they knew somebody being asked about their watch and tax related stuff and that alerts me to the importance of declaring everything, otherwise you pay the fine. I know it's case by case and the chance of happening is low in reality. But I think I should declare just to play safe (carrying possession in excess of 10K CAD when clearing customs). Afterall the taxes won't be applicable to me as you guys have explained.
Looking forward to moving. Love cold weather ;) ;)
Old 10 December 2018, 12:36 PM   #20
jdarry
"TRF" Member

Seems that what matters is when you bought your watch.
If you've owned it for a period of time you're not obliged to pay any duties. If you buy the watch abroad and bring it into the country immediately then taxes should apply
Old 10 December 2018, 12:55 PM   #21
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarry View Post
Seems that what matters is when you bought your watch.
If you've owned it for a period of time you're not obliged to pay any duties. If you buy the watch abroad and bring it into the country immediately then taxes should apply
Like a previous poster mentioned, you list items you are brining on your landing papers. We have bought watches in both countries and wear them back and forth and have never had a problem with that. We have been searched and even taken to the immigration office in the airport and watches were never an issue.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:35 PM   #22
jdarry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Like a previous poster mentioned, you list items you are brining on your landing papers. We have bought watches in both countries and wear them back and forth and have never had a problem with that. We have been searched and even taken to the immigration office in the airport and watches were never an issue.
That's cool!!
Old 13 December 2018, 06:46 PM   #23
rolexpatek
"TRF" Member

if it looks brand new, declear it just in case
rolexpatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:18 PM   #24
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I don’t think you’ll have any issue upon your arrival. As far as traveling in and out of Canada later, you can stop at the border before you leave Canada and have a green declaration card done. It’s just a card that would say the make and serial number of the watch that will prove you had the watch before you left the country. I do this for my firearms and cameras etc. If they ask on your return to Canada, just show them the green card with the watch listed and you should be fine.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote