The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 December 2018, 07:27 AM   #31
shivayash
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1998 16610 Sub
We have a good conversation going. I got my first Rolex when I was sixteen. I worked in a department store all summer. It was a toss up between the GMT and Sub w. Date. I opted for the latter due to the triplock crown.

I’m happy with my choice all these years later.

I think old Mercedes-Benz cars are the best. I like double breasted suits. And older style Rolex watches. Next week I will collect an OysterQuartz.

Good night and greetings from Berlin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shivayash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 07:42 AM   #32
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
The newly released OPs in black and in white dials seem to be the reverse of vulgar. So classy in fact.

(photo from ablogtowatch)
I have to agree.
They are styled along the lines of the 5 digit cases.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
I believe Rolex realized they made a mistake with the SubC, and they've been pulling back from that design concept with each and every successive model ever since.
Rolex even alluded to this when they discussed the design brief of the SD43 in terms of proportion.
Those new OP's are a clear example of Rolex finally going full circle. They're lovely to behold.
I do wonder what will happen with the style of the Sub when it gets updated with the new movement
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 08:27 AM   #33
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WatchDawg View Post
I really like the thinner brushed lugs on the five digit models, newer models are just a little too shiny. That being said, some of the upgrades, such as solid link bracelets and easy link clasps are very nice. Good luck on your search for a nice 16710.
Well stated.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 08:35 AM   #34
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Vulgar? No! Hideous? Sometimes. Repulsive? Occasionally. Grotesque? Sporadically.
But vulgar. Never.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 08:49 AM   #35
FrontHeadlock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamstur View Post
21 years is a long time for tastes to not have changed. I know what I liked, felt or did for entertainment as a young teenager are not the same today.

But take a Rolex or 911, whose design language is known to evolve as a glacier's pace. But they remain true and timeless, like a charcoal single-breasted 2 button suit with crisp white point collar and black cap toes.

If the current designs are vulgar, you may be outdated (e.g., some think double-breasted is still fashionable) or out-of-sync (e.g., just need to look at them longer, even try some on), or stubborn (e.g., claim they don't make cars the way they used to and the electronics ruin everything, or tube/rear projection TV works just fine so who needs this 4K junk).
Lmao what is this flame about DB suits being outdated?
FrontHeadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 09:01 AM   #36
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
I can say that I never found Rolex to be an elegant watch, but certainly not vulgar either. If you are looking for an elegant watch go seek out a PP or JLC. I see Rolex more as a tool watch (I know some say they are more fashion now) made to go to the top of Himalayas or bottom on the ocean.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 09:50 AM   #37
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

The super / maxi case was Rolex’s response to the big watch craze. Now that the big watch trend has ended, you’re seeing the thick lugs getting a little thinner in the latest model releases.

I believe the super / maxi cases of the 6 digit models made the watch look a little disproportionate.

I like the ceramic bezels, maxi dials and the better bracelets of the 6 digit models and welcome the move to thinner lugs.

I like Porsches and old Mercedes Benz cars too! It’s been a while since I’ve worn or owned a double breasted suit though... I wouldn’t say no to trying one on again.
Old 10 December 2018, 09:59 AM   #38
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I agree that the current lineup is a bit chunky. However, Rolex didn't take the bait 10 years ago when sizing got all nuts. I would say they have been pretty conservative.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 10:00 AM   #39
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
In all my years of buying watches, about 55 years, the lugs on any watch never influenced my decision. Likewise a bracelet, it either felt good or it didn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 10:12 AM   #40
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
Not sure that I want my sports watch to be elegant....
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 11:21 AM   #41
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivayash View Post
Dear all,

I'm getting back into Rolex watches. Having worn the same watch for the past 21 years, I can't help but think the new designs are a little vulgar. In an attempt to keep up with trends, I feel Rolex has lost some elegance... of course this is just my personal opinion. But I'd be interested in knowing who else feels the same.

I'm in the market for a late GMT II (old style), the new style, which although difficult to get, simply doesn't appeal to me. The same with the DateJust line.

Happy to hear the view of others, whether in agreement or not.

Well perhaps not as classic. I am struggling with the term eligence. They started out as making tool watches which would take a pounding but also look good in many situations. Other than the Cellini line, not sure I would use yhst term to describe any of their pieces.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 11:39 AM   #42
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

DB suits look great, if you're thin!!! Walked into Church wearing a Dick Tracey trench coat and a felt fedora, one kid looked at me like I was from a different planet!!! Glad I didn't drive the Packard!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 12:02 PM   #43
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I used to be a 100% 5 digit Rolex guy, but have recently started liking 6 digits. The modern updates are amazing (bracelet, clasp, ceramic bezel), except for the maxi case IMO. I think it's great to have both variations so you get the best of both worlds!
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 12:08 PM   #44
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I personally prefer the modern 6 digit references.

I think Rolex does an excellent job of subtle updates over the years.

Each model changes ever so slightly, but in time I suppose the changes look more dramatic.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 01:19 PM   #45
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Current 6 digit versions of DJ and DD are (at least) as elegant as Rolex DJ and DD of the past.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 01:45 PM   #46
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Pros & cons to both 5 and 6 digits references! I happen to like and dislike things from 4 , 5 and 6 digit. But overall....I like most everything about the brand!
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 02:00 PM   #47
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yeah. Vulgar is probably not the word I would use to describe peoples watches as a newcomer to the forum

Oh wait, you've been here almost 10 years...
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 02:08 PM   #48
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivayash View Post
Dear all,

I'm getting back into Rolex watches. Having worn the same watch for the past 21 years, I can't help but think the new designs are a little vulgar. In an attempt to keep up with trends, I feel Rolex has lost some elegance... of course this is just my personal opinion. But I'd be interested in knowing who else feels the same.

I'm in the market for a late GMT II (old style), the new style, which although difficult to get, simply doesn't appeal to me. The same with the DateJust line.

Happy to hear the view of others, whether in agreement or not.
I want to be clear before I respond. Could you elaborate on exactly which design characteristics your referring to?

Thank you

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:07 PM   #49
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
I don’t think they’ve become less elegant, but I do think they have become flashier with all the polished center links and ceramic bezels. I still think the 114060 and Explorer1 are tastefully updated classic designs without all the colorful dials, colored bezels, and PCLs.

actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:06 PM   #50
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I totally agree. The sub is too flashy for my tastes I really dislike the maxi cases with my smaller wrist. Love the SD4K as it has much of the style of the five digits with the positive advancement of the six digits.
Have to agree with your thoughts on the 116600 SDC4K! When a purchased mine a few years back, I added it to a collection of existing 5 and 6 digit Sub’s. If course the 16610, 116610 and the 116600 all look relatively similar to a non WIS, but they definitely wear different! My experience has been that the 116600 truly wears much more like a 16610 that has been slightly improved, to where as the 116600 does not feel at all like a 16610 on the wrist!

Having essentially 3 Black Sub Dates, I often found myself trying on all 3 and always the result was the the 116600 just seemed to edge out the other two iterations based on its subtle change in aesthetics like the Satin Dial, raised crystal, fully graduated bezel, and overall feel while in the wrist!

Ultimately, the 16610 and the 116610LN went bye-byes! The 116610LV, has of course remained, but I still wish it wore more like the 116600!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:29 PM   #51
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Response to the 'appearance' of something is a very individual thing.
If it wasn't we'd all be driving Fords and Brunettes wouldn't be able to get a date.
My eye generally prefers 5 digit models which just look more 'coherent' as a piece of design. Hard to be specific but it's to do with size/proportion/balance type issues.
The newer and better bracelet clasp is preferred and more to do with function and quality than appearance.
If you want 'elegance' go to the new Cellini range. Preferable to APs, PPs and Cartiers IMHO.
I do think the 6 digit GMT 2C is the best looking watch in the range so I can only generalise about the 5 digits.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 07:46 PM   #52
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Milgauss, OP39, Explorer I, New DJ41, New DD40, Daytona, etc, all have the same lines of vintage model, only Sport watches (Sub/GMT) have maxi cases (I love maxi case). You have a lot of references for your taste.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 08:09 PM   #53
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Wait till you find out about Hublot!
Old 10 December 2018, 10:18 PM   #54
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Not a fan of the super case but apart from that I find that many current models are elegant modern interpretations of iconic pieces, in line with the essence of Rolex DNA.

OP's point of view is interesting though because being out of the game for so long he brings a different perspective on things.

OP, could you please elaborate on what specific models you find vulgar?
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 11:08 PM   #55
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I do not see anything vulgar in my 116610, may be is most rudgged my 5513.

Enviado desde mi SM-G965F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 11:31 PM   #56
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

My partner's comment on seeing a Smurf was 'ugh, vulgar.' So some people do think that...although I assume they wouldn't say it to a persons face.
Rolex models are often iconic, and highly regarded, so a few strong comments the other way are to be expected. My candidate for an 'ugly' Rolex would be the Skydweller. But others love it......
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 11:37 PM   #57
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I think vulgar is a real strong word. The sportiest models have the sportiest cases. Be that as it may, there are plenty of Rolex models whose cases still have slimmer lines and sizing. If anything, I think Rolex made their different models less ubiquitous. Rather than plug and play with a dial and bezel in the same shaped Oyster case, Rolex has deliberately tweaked the sizes and lines on the cases to give options to buyers.

The example I like to use the most is the Explorer II. Some feel at 42mm the newer size is too bloated. I say it adds contrast to the 40mm GMT-Master II. Same with the newer Sea-Dweller. I felt that the 40mm Sea-Dweller was perfect, but I can understand why they added a newer, larger case to contrast with the Submariner.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 12:01 AM   #58
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I own both 5-digit and 6-digit models and I appreciate them both for different things. One thing for sure is I love the updated bracelets. But both references offer something unique. The good thing is even 5-digits can easily still be picked up. So if that’s your cup of tea you will still have many to choose from.