The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 October 2014, 03:45 AM   #31
Culley22
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Some traditionals I had made for the wife and daughter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0234.jpg (69.3 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0237.jpg (77.9 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0236.jpg (64.2 KB, 424 views)
Old 14 December 2014, 10:43 PM   #32
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Just purchased the Canada Goose Borden Bomber. For my purposes this should be a great casual winter coat that should do a good job and last a good long time. Since I live in the Midwest and I don't spend a great deal of time outside in the winter I'm not convinced that a longer parka is necessary for my needs. If so at this point I would certainly have no problem getting another Canada Goose product. They certainly appear to be a great well built quality product that do the job they are designed to do.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2014, 12:18 AM   #33
scrappy
"TRF" Member

Check out Montcler. They're down filled, high quality and more stylish than CG.
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 12:25 AM   #34
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Thanks for the continued replies i tried on the cg landford great coat but the hood totally engulfed my head i cant see a darn thing with the hood in, that was the deal breaker for me its no good if i cant see in the freezing cold walking around in the city lol
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 05:47 AM   #35
Sarajevo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600371701
Depending on the temperature where you live, a CG Lodge may be enough. I live in Belfast, where it doesn't go much below minus 3 or 4C but the wind would cut you in half. I bought a lodge recently and, together with gloves and hat, it works against anything. It is also very light and easy to store, and is the most comfortable jacket I have ever worn. It is like putting on a goose down duvet.
Sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 06:02 AM   #36
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
yep , is a lazy wind in belfast ,,, blows through you , instead of going round.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2014, 11:09 AM   #37
SPARTAN2161
Banned

Watch: me flip
BEST jacket i ever bought. I live in Buffalo, NY so winters are long and cold. I bought the blue polar bear edition.
SPARTAN2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 04:52 AM   #38
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
I literally see hundreds of Canadian Goose jackets everyday in NYC. Its become the it thing to have now. NYC this past year has been inundated with them. Great jackets but lets be honest there are not that many days in NYC when you need this type of jacket. Its all about fashion and that patch on the arm.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 06:56 AM   #39
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
I literally see hundreds of Canadian Goose jackets everyday in NYC. Its become the it thing to have now. NYC this past year has been inundated with them. Great jackets but lets be honest there are not that many days in NYC when you need this type of jacket. Its all about fashion and that patch on the arm.
Agreed!

But we are a fashion and equipment crazed nation, does Ken "need" an M6? Do any of us "need" a 8K divers watch? We like to kill mosquitos around here with bazooka's it's in our nature...

I'm just as guilty, do I need a 12K whiskey collection (yes I have a problem) I would argue that I do, so bad example, but ask my wife and you'd get a completely different answer!!!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 07:09 AM   #40
Pyclah
"TRF" Member

CG makes absolutely the best. Got mine on right now. Great product, very well made. lifetime warranty
Pyclah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 07:13 AM   #41
Pyclah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
Check out Montcler. They're down filled, high quality and more stylish than CG.
moncler makes nice coats, but they are more for style than functionality. CG is made for bitter cold
Pyclah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 07:18 AM   #42
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post

........I'm just as guilty, do I need a 12K whiskey collection (yes I have a problem) I would argue that I do......
is it really a collection if it can be depleted to zero More like inventory
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 07:18 AM   #43
phatotto
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few at a time
Only the best for me..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CG.jpg (80.3 KB, 287 views)
Old 19 December 2014, 08:23 AM   #44
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
Its all about fashion and that patch on the arm.
I'm not crazy about the patch - too obvious. I was able to find one with a "stealth patch".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9398.jpg (33.8 KB, 286 views)
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 09:00 AM   #45
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
They are nice high quality jackets, but when I lived above 8,100' for decade, nothing screamed TOURISTS like a CG jacket I guess all of us locals stuck to our puffy jackets.

I cannot lie..they are super toasty and warm!

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 11:34 AM   #46
dddrees
"TRF" Member

I purchased a Canada Goose Borden Bomber just this last week. Basically this was more of an impulse buy, as I saw one when I was shopping and decided to get it. The shop were I came across it only had this model and the Chilliwack and I found the Chilliwack to be to short on me (6"3'). The only real exposure I had to the brand prior was a mention on this forum more specifically this thread for Canada Goose jackets. Although I may have seen some previously I guess I just missed it or didn't pay much attention to them. It's also possible that they're not to common where I live in the states (Midwest). Anyway I liked the Bomber style and I figured if or when we have another real cold winter for this area and for the lifestyle I live it should make a fairly nice casual winter coat.

So after spending the last few days doing some research before pulling of the removable booklet of information from the coat I'm really satisfied and it appears that although this was an impulse buy as such that I did a fairly good job. I actually wore the coat outside for the first time today. That is if you can call in and out of the car to the mall and restaurant outside. It was only about 25 to 30 degrees, but I'm happy to report I didn't perspire and that includes the 45 minutes I was in the mall with the jacket unzipped. This makes me happy as it appears even if the winter is mild the coat appears to be still useful. I like the double zipper as this works real well when riding in the car. I also like the fact that the fur hood can be taken off, which you can't do with the Chilliwack. I do wish it had the pit zips like the Nobis Cartel though, although it appears as you may have to take the coat off to unzip them (don't like that).

I did spend a great time looking at other coats I could have purchased before I removed that booklet. I have to say some of the coats from Moose Knuckles, Parajumper, and Nobis looked real nice and tempting. It also might be nice if the CG was waterproof. However after reading what I could find and most of which was on another forum I'm pretty happy with what I got and it will do just fine as a nice casual winter coat. I took a look at the Montcler website and frankly nothing there grabbed my attention. I like that it is supposedly warmer than the Para jumper, the fur shedding that may or may not still be occurring with the Moose Knuckles coats is something I don't want to deal with, and nor do I want a coat (Nobis) that may or may not pil. I like the fact that this jacket was made in Canada and not in China, typically third world products do lack in quality. The waterproofing more than likely won't be an issue for me and the weather or activities where I'll be using it for. More importantly it appears if I need a warranty I will have it to fall back on.

Oh, and since I don't remember seeing them where I live, the commonality shouldn't be an issue for me. Besides I have made other choices in regards to my purchases which tend to agree with what others have done. I don't mind so much when this happens, it just tends to reinforce that I may have made a good choice. Companies who have a been in business for awhile and have a good reputation typically make a real good product.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 December 2014, 01:11 PM   #47
KirkWilfred
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I live in North Pole Alaska just 100 miles south of the arctic circle where the temperatures dip to -60F quite often during our six months of winter. Canadian Goose products are fabulous due to the quality of their down. However, I would look into Mountain Hardware jackets with "Q-Shield" technology if your going to use your jacket while recreating. Q-Shield is basically water repellant down. Keep in mind that the amount of fill of down does not correlate to the quality of down. At what temps will you need your jacket really depends on the type of jacket

“Time is an illusion.” – Albert Einstein
KirkWilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 01:29 PM   #48
KirkWilfred
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
If it helps my three kids under the age of seven only wear sweat shirts at 20F. Alaskans tend to acclimate to the cold

“Time is an illusion.” – Albert Einstein
KirkWilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 11:28 AM   #49
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
FWIW I'm one of those people who's often cold. I usually wear a sweater or hooded sweatshirt from October through April. I have a CG Expedition parka. While it's not my everyday coat that I wear to work I do find that I wear it often as soon as the temps drop below freezing for walking the dog and such. It's true that one does not need a coat like that in 20*F or even 0* but with the hood down and slightly unzipped it's perfectly wearable in those temps when actively moving about and, if sitting/standing still as one does at a football game the hood makes the difference between being comfortable or still being cold. So yeah for some people it's more than just a fashion statement even in temps above zero. I fold the fur ruff into the hood as its really not my style.
I'll add that I find it impossible to wear while driving as the hood is thick and bunches up around the head making peripheral vision non existent.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 11:33 AM   #50
GarageBMW
"TRF" Member

Watch: the step
Living in Quebec, we have pretty cold winter here. Had a CG, a Kanuk and this year I got a Moncler, by far the warmest of all is the Moncler. The fit and quality if beyond anything else. The fabric is likely not as industrial as the CG but the warmth is perfect.

Happy shopping everyone.
GarageBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 12:28 PM   #51
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

Canada Goose is nice but way to bulky. Bought a Moncler years ago and by far the best jacket I ever bought.
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 02:17 PM   #52
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culley22 View Post

Down is a tricky product. VERY warm...when dry. If persperation is a concern, or any chance of getting wet: you don't want down.
^that.

I wore down for a few years, but if your active/perspire, you'll want to go synthetic. NOTHING worse than wet AND cold.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 12:23 AM   #53
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Bump

Because it's that time of year again and because I just ordered a Canada Goose Expediton Parka. I've been extremely happy with my Borden Bomber and I've been wanting a Parka ever since then. I'm hoping to have it today or tomorrow. It was Christmas present from the wife.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 December 2016, 12:44 AM   #54
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Nice buy Dan
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 12:50 AM   #55
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Nice buy Dan

Thank you sir.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 December 2016, 12:53 AM   #56
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I have a Canada Goose down hooded down puffer and love it. I bought it 5 years ago and still looks great and warmer than anything else I have.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 12:59 AM   #57
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
I have a Canada Goose down hooded down puffer and love it. I bought it 5 years ago and still looks great and warmer than anything else I have.

Exactly, well except I haven't had mine for five years.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 December 2016, 01:26 AM   #58
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Living in NJ I feel Canada Goose jackets or heavy parkas are a waste of money and more of a fashion statement...

A sweater and a heavy fleece such as the North Face Dakota, or Columbia Heavy Fleece do just fine up here.

I made the mistake of buying a Montcler Parka for nearly $2K a year ago and it sat in my closet until I was able to sell it on eBay for a small loss.
Old 21 December 2016, 01:44 AM   #59
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I am in the process of selling my Expedition Parka, I found that it was too warm for the climate in North Yorkshire England (Certainly for in a car or public transport). I replaced it with a Chateau Parka in military green which is just about perfect, I normally wear it with a polo or shirt underneath, I also like that I can remove the fur from the hood when I want.

I have actually just got in and took it off and haven't hung it up yet, quick and crap phone photo.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 01:59 AM   #60
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I am in the process of selling my Expedition Parka, I found that it was too warm for the climate in North Yorkshire England (Certainly for in a car or public transport). I replaced it with a Chateau Parka in military green which is just about perfect, I normally wear it with a polo or shirt underneath, I also like that I can remove the fur from the hood when I want.

I have actually just got in and took it off and haven't hung it up yet, quick and crap phone photo.

I almost went with the Citadel instead of the Expedition because of the ability to remove the hood on the Citadel however the colder rating and from the pictures I liked the look of the Expedition more. I didn't care for the buttons on the Chateau.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons