The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 30 October 2008, 03:26 AM   #1
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Ben Bridge (AD) - what a pain in the a@$

I'm trading Rolex's with another TRF member today (my LV for his GMT IIc). In order to authenticate both watches (protect each other), I called Ben Bridge (San Diego Fashion Valley Mall) to see if they could open the watches, look at the movements, remove the bands to verify serial numbers vs. numbers inside dials (haute engravings), etc. Ben Bridge flatly told me they wouldn't do it. They said I had to send both watches to Beverly Hills to certify them genuine. I told them I understand they can't verify them authentic because of liability. I told them we just wanted them to pop them open and allow both of us to verify to our own (pretty well informed) satisfaction that they are the real deal. They refused.

So, I ended up calling the other AD in that same mall, Maui Jewelers, who told me absolutely no problem. We each pay $79 and they do what they call an appraisal, where their watchmaker goes over each watch in detail to evaluate their worth. This process takes about 1/2 hour I was told (each watch). So, I'm going there.

Anyone else had this difficulty with Ben Bridge? Very frustrating...
Old 30 October 2008, 03:37 AM   #2
Luminor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea Sea-
Mark sometimes i expect this sort of BS from AD's.
Just brush it off your shoulder and continue with your life. BS people are not worth your time and not worth thinking about.

At the end of the day, you know they could have done it, and that they're full of ....

TRF Rocks!
Old 30 October 2008, 03:38 AM   #3
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never kiss & tell!
Resources

Not to hijack your Thread here, but--

It would be incredibly valuable to me to know if there were some sort of a resource place on this Forum (or one could be created), where folks who "authenticate" could be ID'ed. Then maybe comments on experience w/ them added.

Thoughts?

Old 30 October 2008, 03:42 AM   #4
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delldeaton View Post
Not to hijack your Thread here, but--

It would be incredibly valuable to me to know if there were some sort of a resource place on this Forum (or one could be created), where folks who "authenticate" could be ID'ed. Then maybe comments on experience w/ them added.

Thoughts?

Well, I'll do my part. Once I've gone through this with Maui Jewelers, I will certainly describe the experience on this thread after I've gone through it.
Old 30 October 2008, 03:56 AM   #5
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Print this page out and take it to them. :-)
Old 30 October 2008, 04:08 AM   #6
Greenring
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I took my Daytona to my AD, who is also Ben Bridge in Kennewick, WA to have them resize the band, and to let my sales gal see a Daytona up close and in the SS. No problem. Of course, it didn't hurt that I've bought 3 Rolexes from her. I didn't ask for the case back to be opened for a look see. Like most big companies, it depends on the individual running the store, and what their corporate rules are. The universal fact is that there are A-holes :everywhere. You hit a snag and found a way around it.
Old 30 October 2008, 04:33 AM   #7
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Good to know info in this post, thanks for sharing it.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
Old 30 October 2008, 04:47 AM   #8
rocco1109
"TRF" Member

Nothing but great experience with Ben Bridge.

They got my SS Daytona for me.

They also have a fantastic watchmaker at one of their stores in the Denver area. Because I buy lots of vintage pieces, I take them to him for authentication (i.e., remove the caseback).

He does this service gratis.

If the BB you went to does not have a watchmaker on site, then of course they will refuse to do it. You wouldn't WANT them to do it in that case.
Old 30 October 2008, 04:50 AM   #9
sdwtchlvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Similar experience here...

I went to Ben Bridges in the Fashion Valley mall to see about getting an insurance appraisal for my F serial 16600. First of all, they had several employees working there...no customers in the place...yet all of the employees looked at each other to see which one was going to greet me...as if it was a pain. I was told for an apprasial, my watch would have to be shipped to their headquarters in Seattle and would take 10 business days...for an appraisal??? Waste of time.

I went down to Royal Maui jewelers and they were able to do the appraisal in a couple of hours. Much better customer service. They did charge me $95 though...bit higher than you were quoted but perhaps they're giving you a break because they are doing 2 watches. AFAIK, they don't pop the case back for these appraisals though...everything is done on the outside of the case...something to do with having to re-seal the watch with new gaskets and pressure testing it...but again, that may have just been mine for some reason. Let me know what you find out?
Old 30 October 2008, 04:53 AM   #10
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Why do people get annoyed by this, Why should a retailer authenticate a watch, not purchased from them. They run the risk of damaging the watch, Accidents do happen. They could be held liable for incorrectly authenticating a watch. If people want watches appraised, then normally an AD will take them in for a fee or percentage of the value and can take up to ten days.

Why do we get pee'd off when a retailer seems reluctant to do a service free of charge
Old 30 October 2008, 04:53 AM   #11
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Post some pics of the two watches when you get the chance.
Old 30 October 2008, 04:57 AM   #12
rocco1109
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptistman View Post
Why do people get annoyed by this, Why should a retailer authenticate a watch, not purchased from them. They run the risk of damaging the watch, Accidents do happen. They could be held liable for incorrectly authenticating a watch. If people want watches appraised, then normally an AD will take them in for a fee or percentage of the value and can take up to ten days.

Why do we get pee'd off when a retailer seems reluctant to do a service free of charge
I agree with you 100% Baptistman. And like I said in my earlier post, if the Ben Bridge store has no watchmaker ON SITE then it's logical that they will refuse to do it.

The original poster does not say if a watchmaker was on site. My guess is that there was not.

We have three BBs near me. Only one has an on site watchmaker and he is happy to open casebacks to let me see the movements.
Old 30 October 2008, 04:58 AM   #13
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner50th View Post
I'm trading Rolex's with another TRF member today (my LV for his GMT IIc). In order to authenticate both watches (protect each other), I called Ben Bridge (San Diego Fashion Valley Mall) to see if they could open the watches, look at the movements, remove the bands to verify serial numbers vs. numbers inside dials (haute engravings), etc. Ben Bridge flatly told me they wouldn't do it. They said I had to send both watches to Beverly Hills to certify them genuine. I told them I understand they can't verify them authentic because of liability. I told them we just wanted them to pop them open and allow both of us to verify to our own (pretty well informed) satisfaction that they are the real deal. They refused.

So, I ended up calling the other AD in that same mall, Maui Jewelers, who told me absolutely no problem. We each pay $79 and they do what they call an appraisal, where their watchmaker goes over each watch in detail to evaluate their worth. This process takes about 1/2 hour I was told (each watch). So, I'm going there.

Anyone else had this difficulty with Ben Bridge? Very frustrating...
Ben Bridge only has one watchmaker in San Diego and that is at the UTC location. His name is Brian and you could call him directly at the store and see what he would charge.
Old 30 October 2008, 05:00 AM   #14
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
One must separate AD's from Rolex in one's mind so as not to tarnish the Rolex experience...AD's are NOT part of that experience in my mind. I've talked with great AD's and lousy ones...It's the watch I'm after, they're just the conduit.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Old 30 October 2008, 05:13 AM   #15
chris_nor_cal
"TRF" Member

just petty wanna be snobs who are upset you didn't buy from them. just make sure you never buy from them in the future
Old 30 October 2008, 05:15 AM   #16
HockeyBrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco1109 View Post
I agree with you 100% Baptistman. And like I said in my earlier post, if the Ben Bridge store has no watchmaker ON SITE then it's logical that they will refuse to do it.

The original poster does not say if a watchmaker was on site. My guess is that there was not.

We have three BBs near me. Only one has an on site watchmaker and he is happy to open casebacks to let me see the movements.
I agree with you guys as well. Please don't hold this against BB and group them all together. I have never bought anything from them but I've browsed through most of them in Washington State and they are very chatty and helpful. Lot's of freebie books and brochures received from them. So it was just a one of the bad egg independent Retailers.

ie. I've had similar experiences with Tourneau in CA, Nevada and NYC. Some are great - some are complete morons.
Old 30 October 2008, 05:24 AM   #17
jbjenkins
"TRF" Member

Ben Bridge does list on their website which stores have a watchmaker on site. Given that I'm still not a big fan of Ben Bridge stores in general because it seems the vast difference in knowledge of the workers makes it a real roll of the dice. If I had been given a recommendation for a specific person in a Ben Bridge I might be willing to try them again.

A Ben Bridge store without a watchmaker on site has three options available (store policy is set by the manager).

Send the watch to Ben Bridge corporate in Seattle
Work with a local third-party watchmaker
Send the watch to Rolex

When you go to Ben Bridge for service on a Rolex you have to specify which you want or you never know where your watch will be serviced. Even then they may refuse your request if it goes against their manager's policies.
Old 30 October 2008, 05:36 AM   #18
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
No Rolex AD will pop the back off a Rolex, this negates the guarantee with the waterproofing, they are closely monitored by Rolex and if they're found to be doing things like this then i doubt Rolex would look upon them favourably. The only answer they could possibly give you is 'send it to a Rolex Service Centre', this is due to the watch needing to be pressure tested everytime the back is removed to make sure it is 100% sealed.

If you have a problem with the reliability of each others Rolex then it really should be capable of working out without having to go internally. I've not seen any fakes that have had all papers and boxes, rehaut ring writing, microdot crown on glass and so on, they all fail in some way, such as:

1. The microdot crown - i've not seen or heard of a single fake that has this done to the same level as Rolex, it's either a raised crown or not been done with microdots. The reason for this is due to the expensive machinery required to get microdots down to that level and that precision, this really is top of the range machinery which counterfeiters do not have.

2. Rehaut ring - I've seen fakes with the engraving, but i've only seen Rolex using the double lettering, so an A will have one A inside the other, again this is done with a top of the range machine which i still believe is outwith the reaches of counterfeiters as of now. The only ones i've seen are basically single lettering engraving, so again very easy to spot.

If you take the watch into a Rolex AD with all boxes and papers, get them to check these against their Rolexes i'd hazard a guess they will be happy enough that the item is genuine as long as it looks as it should and the two security measures above are perfect.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
Old 30 October 2008, 05:49 AM   #19
Watch Fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Royal Maui in San Diego is my favorite Rolex AD. I have purchased 4 Rolexs and 1 Breitling from them and have always been very pleased with their service. I am not surprised that they are helping you, as this kind of service is the reason I buy from them. Very good AD in my opinion, much more accomodating than Ben Bridge. Good choise!
Old 30 October 2008, 05:59 AM   #20
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I have never had an issue with Ben Bridge..

The local BB watchmaker I use has done a couple of my watches with RSC quality results.... He even mentioned that he took his watchmaker finals on the Lemania 1861, so if I ever need any Omega work, he can do that too..

They clean all my jewelry and watches when I walk in the door..

of course, a couple of the salesmen do walk around like they have a rod stuffed up their derrier
Old 30 October 2008, 06:11 AM   #21
HockeyBrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
I've not seen any fakes that have had all papers and boxes, rehaut ring writing, microdot crown on glass and so on, they all fail in some way, such as:

1. The microdot crown - i've not seen or heard of a single fake that has this done to the same level as Rolex, it's either a raised crown or not been done with microdots. The reason for this is due to the expensive machinery required to get microdots down to that level and that precision, this really is top of the range machinery which counterfeiters do not have.

2. Rehaut ring - I've seen fakes with the engraving, but i've only seen Rolex using the double lettering, so an A will have one A inside the other, again this is done with a top of the range machine which i still believe is outwith the reaches of counterfeiters as of now. The only ones i've seen are basically single lettering engraving, so again very easy to spot.
The very best fakers swap these out for the Gen parts. Then they proceed on to the Ebay listings waiting to scam someone. Come visit the Watch Out!!! Section
Old 30 October 2008, 06:28 AM   #22
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco1109 View Post

They told me they did have a watchmaker on site and he is who they kept asking these questions of. He is the one who told the person on the phone with me the refuse.

I don't expect anyone to do this for free. It is a service, so I expect to pay a service fee.
Old 30 October 2008, 06:32 AM   #23
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBrand View Post
The very best fakers swap these out for the Gen parts. Then they proceed on to the Ebay listings waiting to scam someone. Come visit the Watch Out!!! Section

I struggle to see how a faker could get their hands on genuine rehaut rings, they're controlled items and you won't get them replaced and Rolex won't have hundreds sitting in stock, have you got any pictures of these in fakes?

The crystal could be found i guess, but again this item will be controlled and not available outwith a Rolex Service Centre, you get one crystal replaced with another and no spare, again is there any pictures of these going on fakes?

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
Old 30 October 2008, 06:32 AM   #24
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
No Rolex AD will pop the back off a Rolex, this negates the guarantee with the waterproofing, they are closely monitored by Rolex and if they're found to be doing things like this then i doubt Rolex would look upon them favourably. The only answer they could possibly give you is 'send it to a Rolex Service Centre', this is due to the watch needing to be pressure tested everytime the back is removed to make sure it is 100% sealed.

If you have a problem with the reliability of each others Rolex then it really should be capable of working out without having to go internally. I've not seen any fakes that have had all papers and boxes, rehaut ring writing, microdot crown on glass and so on, they all fail in some way, such as:

If you take the watch into a Rolex AD with all boxes and papers, get them to check these against their Rolexes i'd hazard a guess they will be happy enough that the item is genuine as long as it looks as it should and the two security measures above are perfect.
Great advise, thanks! Plus, this guy is a business executive (as am I) and a TRF member. Still, nice to have an AD back up with an appraisal to make us both feel good about the transaction.
Old 30 October 2008, 07:33 AM   #25
carbon6

Of the several BB stores I've been to, half the employees there are kinda arrogant it you don't look the type that is gonna buy. There's only two BBs in San Diego with a watchmaker on site - Fashion Valley and University Towne Center. The UTC store is a BB Time Works which is a bigger watch store. I've found Maui Jewelers pleasant to deal with and they really don't mind you browsing.
Old 30 October 2008, 05:36 PM   #26
sdwtchlvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Yeah, I think the BB at the Fashion Valley mall recently expanded and they do have an in house watchmaker...but I just didn't get a good vibe there. Royal Maui is a decent AD and they have always been cordial to me...even when I had no watch and would just browse their extensive inventory.
Old 30 October 2008, 09:18 PM   #27
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
BB runs hot and cold for me....some are OK and some are downright snotty.
I bought my wife an omega deville back in 2000 with no problems and got 25? percent off.
I tried to purchase a DJ but would not give any discount so I never went back.
Maybe I will wonder into one here in Houston at one of the local Mega malls and look around. I thought Scottsdale Fashion was big back home but the Galleria in Houston
is the largest mall I have ever been in....my wife loves it, it did have it share of eye candy for me.
Old 30 October 2008, 10:47 PM   #28
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon6 View Post
Of the several BB stores I've been to, half the employees there are kinda arrogant it you don't look the type that is gonna buy. There's only two BBs in San Diego with a watchmaker on site - Fashion Valley and University Towne Center. The UTC store is a BB Time Works which is a bigger watch store. I've found Maui Jewelers pleasant to deal with and they really don't mind you browsing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr View Post
Yeah, I think the BB at the Fashion Valley mall recently expanded and they do have an in house watchmaker...but I just didn't get a good vibe there. Royal Maui is a decent AD and they have always been cordial to me...even when I had no watch and would just browse their extensive inventory.
Used to be only the UTC location. Good to know I suppose.
Old 31 October 2008, 01:15 AM   #29
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalkerVintage View Post
Ben Bridge only has one watchmaker in San Diego and that is at the UTC location. His name is Brian and you could call him directly at the store and see what he would charge.
Exactly what I was about to say Bret, I have been with Ben Bridge at UTC for years, I know everyone there and if you needed something done they would help. Let me know if I can do anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg benbridge.jpg (51.1 KB, 1046 views)
Old 31 October 2008, 02:53 AM   #30
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Well, we did the swap. Took both watches into Royal Maui Jewelers, who told us they would do a formal appraisal of both timepieces, but would NOT pop the case backs (as others have posted).

Despite my calling to make a reservation, when we showed up to have the appraisal done, they informed me that their watchmaker had gone home for the evening. What a bummer. I asked to speak to the lady who made the appointment, but as she was with another Rolex customer, we waited for her. While we waited, we were greeted by their "buyer" who attended Basel every year and has been trained on appraisals as well. He was wonderful and told us he would do the appraisal himself since we had come all this way (the other TRF member had just flew in from Dallas). We left our watches with him with the promise of them being done in about 1.5 hours.

Ty and I went out for a beer (or two) while we waited. When we returned, our watches were ready ... both fully checking out. Her reminded us that he was not able to pop the case backs as it was not their practice to do, but our appraisals would come to us via the mail in a week or so.

We paid our $79 each (was supposed to be $95, but they honored the price quoted by the lady who made the original appointment for me).

Wonderful experience, we exchanged watches and I paid Ty the agreed cash for the difference between the agreed values between the watches.

Love the GMT IIc, but a bit sad to see my 9.5/10 condition LV go. Someday I'll have both, but for now ... I'm a huge SS GMT IIC fan.

After I've worn it for a few weeks, I'll write a review of my personal experience with both watches. I'll try to describe the differences in feel, appearance, notice factor (compliments, comments, etc.), wearability, and overall experience. I think it may be helpful to those on the fence between the two incredible models. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Closed Thread