The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 29 August 2018, 02:10 AM   #1
Dr.Mehr
"TRF" Member

The AD called me trying to buy back my GMT

The past few days have been like I have been in a roller coaster.

I swapped my GMT LN against a BLNR. I did pay a bit extra but was happy with my purchase. Until I realised that the BLNR isn’t changing the date at exact at midnight. I felt extremely worried and thought I have made a big mistake by flipping my GMT LN which I only acquired 5 months ago against a 2016 BLNR that doesn’t even change the date at it’s supposed time. Anyway that issue got sorted but....

This morning I received a call from the AD I purchased the GMT LN and the owner told me that Rolex UK had called them and flagged a watch that is being advertised online for sale.

I realised the watch is advertised by the person I swapped it with against his BLNR. He was asking MRSP and not more. But he did mention the jeweller it was purchased from and also uploaded picture of the receipt. This obviously gave it away.

The AD mentioned they are willing to buy back the watch and refund me all my money. This despite that I have had the watch for 5 months.

I have in the mean time solved the issue but find it really strange that ROLEX would not allow even me to sell my watch at the same price it was purchased for.

Isn’t it in my ownership ? I am not a grey dealer and understand Rolex is worried about grey dealers but not allowing someone to sell a watch at all (it’s a GMT LN) is very surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 August 2018, 02:13 AM   #2
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Its your watch. They can ask anything they like.
Old 29 August 2018, 02:22 AM   #3
greanie
"TRF" Member

This concerns me when thinking of flipping a watch to find and fund another . . . Will the AD punish me if they find (think) I have been “un-loyal” and later decided it was not the watch for me.

Old 29 August 2018, 02:36 AM   #4
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Regarding the date change issue, when exactly does your date change? Most watches don't change exactly at midnight. If it is within a few minutes, it's fine. My BLNR changes the date about 3 minutes past midnight.
Old 29 August 2018, 02:36 AM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Unfortunately you have to be careful who you do business with as some don’t respect the privacy of the AD or the original buyer.
Old 29 August 2018, 02:42 AM   #6
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Unfortunately you have to be careful who you do business with as some don’t respect the privacy of the AD or the original buyer.
Very true.
Old 29 August 2018, 02:49 AM   #7
Enoch
"TRF" Member

Am I understanding this correctly?

You traded your LN plus a bit of cash for a BLNR.

The AD wants to buy the LN back.?

If that’s what I think happened, how can you sell the LN back as it’s no longer yours?
Old 29 August 2018, 03:00 AM   #8
GBD
"TRF" Member

It sounds like Rolex contacted the AD, thinking that the AD had sold the LN to a flipper, and the AD contacted you, as they thought you were the flipper?

In any case, the owner of the watch can do as they please. Rolex can ask for whatever they want, and you can tell them to pound sand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 29 August 2018, 03:00 AM   #9
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Wow, that person you traded watches with did you no favor. Interesting to know Rolex is looking at sales on the internet for evidence pointing back to original AD. There was a post here several months ago where a member was selling a popular S/S watch at a premium and his photos showed enough that Rolex was able to determine the AD that sold the watch. The AD bought the watch back.

Do you know if you have been blacklisted by Rolex or your AD?
Old 29 August 2018, 03:01 AM   #10
rollin62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Detroit Watch Co
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

If that’s what I think happened, how can you sell the LN back as it’s no longer yours?
My guess is they are offering to buy his GMT under the assumption he will be selling it. As the previous watch he purchased from the AD turned up for sale.
Old 29 August 2018, 03:02 AM   #11
Dr.Mehr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

I couldn’t but the AD thought that I had put the advert on of the LN. The AD was unaware that I had exchanged mine with a BLNR.

Old 29 August 2018, 03:02 AM   #12
Dr.Mehr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Totally agree with you. I feel very bad for the AD.

Old 29 August 2018, 03:03 AM   #13
Dr.Mehr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
Wow, that person you traded watches with did you no favor. Interesting to know Rolex is looking at sales on the internet for evidence pointing back to original AD. There was a post here several months ago where a member was selling a popular S/S watch at a premium and his photos showed enough that Rolex was able to determine the AD that sold the watch. The AD bought the watch back.

Do you know if you have been blacklisted by Rolex or your AD?

Not blacklisted but the ad has been taken down by the other chap.

Old 29 August 2018, 03:09 AM   #14
Andrew NYC
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

win/win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin62 View Post
My guess is they are offering to buy his GMT under the assumption he will be selling it. As the previous watch he purchased from the AD turned up for sale.
Still not sure if Rolex wants to buy back the BLNR or the LN which you no longer have. Regardless I haven't heard of this one before. I would let the AD (and Rolex UK) know they can buy the watch back but as a condition Rolex needs to send a new SS BLRO that you can purchase as a replacement. Likely will end the conversation quickly (or you could end up with a very hard to get watch). Either way - win/win.
Old 29 August 2018, 03:22 AM   #15
mulgogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollies
Sounds like the AD got in trouble and while you are free to do what you want with your property. You have most likely soiled any relationship you have established with that AD moving forward...
Old 29 August 2018, 03:25 AM   #16
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
It’s just sad all around...

Sad you can’t sell your own property without repercussions.

Sad AD’s are held accountable for their customers actions

Sad Rolex monitors secondary market sales

Sad people must resort to the secondary market to buy what they want

Sad it’s so profitable to sell on the secondary market

Sad we’re even having this conversation

Old 29 August 2018, 03:31 AM   #17
sgarrity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
This is really beyond insanity. Rolex produces what? 1 million watches a year? Don't they have better things to do?
Old 29 August 2018, 03:32 AM   #18
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
It’s just sad all around...

Sad you can’t sell your own property without repercussions.

Sad AD’s are held accountable for their customers actions

Sad Rolex monitors secondary market sales

Sad people must resort to the secondary market to buy what they want

Sad it’s so profitable to sell on the secondary market

Sad we’re even having this conversation

Best post I’ve read in awhile.
Old 29 August 2018, 03:33 AM   #19
G.D.BeanCounter
Banned

Watch: Sky DayDate 2
I am interested to know where the watch was listed. Curious as to whether it was here on the forum or some other site.

Sounds like Rolex is looking to weed out as many ADs as they see fit, by racking up infractions. There's likely a long term strategy there that we're not seeing, or at least most of us. To some extent, it seems as though we as consumers may just be in the crossfire of Rolex reckoning with ADs by testing their integrity.
Old 29 August 2018, 03:33 AM   #20
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Its not sad....Its ridiculous. There is no other industry where i've seen this occur, and i've never seen another client base tolerate this crap the way some here do.

I would buy back that LN and list it as many places as I could for really cheap, but never actually sell it. Literally list it everywhere. Serial number shown.

This Rolex stuff is ridiculous.

Who exactly do they think they are? THEY work to keep my business. Not the other way around.

I would literally make a video destroying mine before i'd let Rolex push me or my friendly neighborhood AD around.
Old 29 August 2018, 03:37 AM   #21
Enoch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Qadri View Post
I couldn’t but the AD thought that I had put the advert on of the LN. The AD was unaware that I had exchanged mine with a BLNR.
Gotcha
Old 29 August 2018, 03:49 AM   #22
G.D.BeanCounter
Banned

Watch: Sky DayDate 2
"Who exactly do they think they are? THEY work to keep my business. Not the other way around."

"I would literally make a video destroying mine before i'd let Rolex push me or my friendly neighborhood AD around."[/QUOTE]

Given the choice, your AD may pick Rolex over you, so unless they'd buy back the destroyed piece, I would not place that bet. The ADs are our point of contact with Rolex, so in most cases, we our limited to what we are told or witness with our own eyes, which is way below the atmosphere in which Rolex operates. Most of these ADs are being pressed for sells on nonsport models, and as a result they have resorted to measures to which most of us disagree, and think Rolex would be apalled. However, Rolex is likely quite complicit in these new tactics, such as "bundling", etc. Part of the problem I see, is that some of these ADs have taken this very attitude, as if they are doing you a favor by allowing you to make certain purchases. It is sad, but the shoe may get back on the right foot one day. There's only so many people wiling to spend $84,000, just to get a $9,250- 14,400 watch... it may take a few years, but the line will shorten at some point... right?
Old 29 August 2018, 03:54 AM   #23
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
I like guitars. A similar thing happens with Gibson Custom Shop guitars. The driving force is different (overproduction, not scarcity) but same end result (profitable grey market)

Goes like this:
-Gibson forces dealers to take LARGE amounts of stock (more than they can afford or sell)
-Dealers take large amts of stock, with the intent to sell to most to grey dealer (or has up-front money from grey dealer)
-Grey dealers sell the guitar as "used, like new" with all papers, except the warranty card (only way to activate warranty). They don't show the serial in photos.

Why? Because when Joe Schmo goes to register his warranty (using serial number) with Gibson, and says I bought it from Bob's Grey Market Emporium, now Gibson knows that Bob's Grey buys from a dealer, and they know who that dealer is because they originally sold that guitar to that specific dealer.

Gibson polices the internet, so grey dealers do not show the serial number.

Little different, because you can still get the warranty on a grey market Rolex, yeah?

What if Rolex did like Gibson? Rolex knows that they shipped serial number xxxxxx to Carl's Rolex Fun House. Only way to get the warranty would be to send the warranty registration along with receipt from Carl's. Or Warranty can only be started by a dealer, in store at time of purchase.
Old 29 August 2018, 03:57 AM   #24
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.D.BeanCounter View Post
]

Given the choice, your AD may pick Rolex over you, so unless they'd buy back the destroyed piece, I would not place that bet.
Clearly they feel they can intimidate people on a consumer level. Absurd. Well, it won't work on everyone. Rolex is fully aware that when they put pressure on some poor AD that the pressure eventually rolls downhill to some guy that had to trade in a watch just to be able to buy another.

In my purview, thats Rolex directly attacking their consumer base. Do they care what some think? Probably not. But I can tell you that the landscape is littered with companies that thought they had the market by the balls, right up until they didnt.
Old 29 August 2018, 04:02 AM   #25
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Just when you think the whole inventory/gray market/seller/re-seller/ drama cannot get any more strange........ suddenly it does.

This one even shocks me a bit! WOW!
Old 29 August 2018, 04:03 AM   #26
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
How is this even legal for Rolex corporate to do? Once a transaction is executed and the seller is paid in full in a legal manner you the buyer aquire full ownership of the timepiece. I understand it may ruin the relationship with the Ad you bought the ln from and them refusing further business from you but nothing else.
Old 29 August 2018, 04:03 AM   #27
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
sorry to hear.

unfort, lessons learnt when selling are never post / share pics of the 1) receipt and 2) serial # card / rehaut.

if i ever sell my watches purchased from ADs in the distant future, i won't include the orig sales receipt anymore. let rolex call me down the road if the new owner needs work by a RSC.

note: my local AD rep did mention multiple times that rolex is watching online sites (ebay, some swiss watch named site and chrono24 were told to me as examples) but did not post it because it would have turned into another "hey, read what my ad told me today" post :)
Old 29 August 2018, 04:18 AM   #28
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Qadri View Post
The AD mentioned they are willing to buy back the watch and refund me all my money. This despite that I have had the watch for 5 months.
After 5 months, 5 days, 5 hours or 5 minutes of payment, it's your watch. Unless your AD specifically told you not to sell/trade it or you signed a contract saying the same, I don't see how this is an issue.

It's probably the LN subconsciously telling you to get it back.
Old 29 August 2018, 04:19 AM   #29
Bearwithme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
Its not sad....Its ridiculous. There is no other industry where i've seen this occur, and i've never seen another client base tolerate this crap the way some here do.

I would buy back that LN and list it as many places as I could for really cheap, but never actually sell it. Literally list it everywhere. Serial number shown.

This Rolex stuff is ridiculous.

Who exactly do they think they are? THEY work to keep my business. Not the other way around.

I would literally make a video destroying mine before i'd let Rolex push me or my friendly neighborhood AD around.
This policy (if we should call it that?) is ridiculous
I don’t think I’d go as far as destroying it but you really made me laugh, a man of principle

One good take away - anyone got a recently required SS Rolex they are not sure about and wanting to sell... not one of the most desirable models... worried they might lose money after selling fees etc (obviously not talking Daytona’s here) here’s a potential route through to getting back your full MSRP with no selling hassle whatsoever - 6 month free rental !

For every action there is a reaction - I’m so new to the world of Rolex it’s all “normal” to me but even so - DAMN, where does it end
Old 29 August 2018, 04:20 AM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Heard of this exact scenario happening multiple times over a year ago in the UK so we are all blasé about it now... Rolex will threaten, interfere and do what they like as they hold all the cards and any ADs or customers who don't play ball will be noted, that's just the way it is and it's spreading as the market is getting no better.
Closed Thread

Tags
ad experience , tracing