The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 29 August 2018, 07:54 AM   #61
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Heard of this exact scenario happening multiple times over a year ago in the UK so we are all blasé about it now... Rolex will threaten, interfere and do what they like as they hold all the cards and any ADs or customers who don't play ball will be noted, that's just the way it is and it's spreading as the market is getting no better.
Me too. Seems to be a bit of a thing and one that is causing potential trust issues with ADs fearing if they get you a hard to find watch and you flip it that the repercussions will come back on them. I’m surprised Rolex have the time to search the secondary market but there is no doubt there has been a watershed moment in the company.
Old 29 August 2018, 08:00 AM   #62
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTAlex View Post

They also requested that I bring in a brand new BLNR that I was holding as a gift for my father, under the auspices of checking to make sure they gave me the right serial number warranty card, brought the box to a back room, and removed all of the stickers without telling me what they were doing. So that I couldn't sell it with stickers, probably. To protect themselves.
Damn. That is truely farrrked. If that happened to me I'd be making some big big noise to whomever I could about that.

Its your property after paying for it. All these tactics Rolex using is putting me off bigtime now.
Old 29 August 2018, 08:13 AM   #63
turborolex
"TRF" Member

The AD called me trying to buy back my GMT

I really don’t think it was Rolex that called the AD, I think it was the AD (as most ADs monitor the forums) who freaked out when he/she saw the bill of sale posted online and called the OP stating it was Rolex that notified them to make it more formal and save face.

I was told by the ADs that I do business with that they have forum accounts and monitor what goes on regularly and was also told if I decide to sell my watch, not to post the serial number, warranty card or bill of sale so they don’t get in trouble. I do that because I don’t want to get them in trouble and out of mutual respect.

If I were an AD, I wouldn’t want to give the impression to anyone that I’m ok with the watches I sell being flipped.

That being said, I really don’t believe Rolex has its own “clandestine” department looking out for flippers, I believe that’s just a myth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 August 2018, 08:14 AM   #64
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Who's on first base?
Old 29 August 2018, 08:29 AM   #65
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
I like guitars. A similar thing happens with Gibson Custom Shop guitars. The driving force is different (overproduction, not scarcity) but same end result (profitable grey market)

Gibson polices the internet, so grey dealers do not show the serial number.
Are the prices for CS guitars inflated as well? Can't imagine that happening in this current market, less people buying them, really small pool of people with those funds (especially in NON-US countries), Gibson current problems and adjustments the past few years, popularity down, ...
Old 29 August 2018, 08:33 AM   #66
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
- Via the serial number, that retailer found out I got a decent discount on the watch, and the identity of my AD
How can they get this info? I read a topic 2 days ago (was about a NOS PM Daytona that was being sold at a nice discount but the AD didn't want to activate the warranty) that this information belongs to that specific AD and not even Rolex knows about it.
Old 29 August 2018, 08:33 AM   #67
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
Couldn't you have just brought the card? That's messed up that they removed the stickers without telling you.
Couldn't he have just checked his card against the serial on the BLNR? I'm confused as to why it was brought back at all.
Old 29 August 2018, 08:36 AM   #68
GBD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
How can they get this info? I read a topic 2 days ago (was about a NOS PM Daytona that was being sold at a nice discount but the AD didn't want to activate the warranty) that this information belongs to that specific AD and not even Rolex knows about it.
That would support the idea that it was just the AD that was concerned, and they made up the bit about Rolex to have someone else to blame.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 29 August 2018, 08:40 AM   #69
Dr.Mehr
"TRF" Member

Guys in my case the AD was happy enough that the ad of the watch that was purchased from the AD was taken down. As long as any reference to the AD and serial number is removed things were ok.

Now I obviously don’t think that I will be on any waiting list of this AD all due to the horrible mistake made by the guy I swapped my watch with for a blnr.

Old 29 August 2018, 08:41 AM   #70
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
I really don’t think it was Rolex that called the AD, I think it was the AD (as most ADs monitor the forums) who freaked out when he/she saw the bill of sale posted online and called the OP stating it was Rolex that notified them to make it more formal and save face.

I was going to say the same thing, my first thought was that it was the AD browsing for sale listings and Rolex didn't actually contact them.
Old 29 August 2018, 08:47 AM   #71
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I listed a patek for sale here once and the AD manager called me a few days later saying

"I heard you were not happy with your watch, I would buy it back if that's the case."

They made my watch because of a pic I had shared with my sales associate that gave away my listing due to a similar element in the shot. I covered all serial numbers etc.

I asked if he was willing to pay my asking price, he ignored that of course.

That was the end of that conversation and I am no longer a customer.

Apparently this idiot forgot that 2 years ago he was offering me discounts on 5711s. I won't be talked down to by anyone let alone the manager of a jewelry store.
Old 29 August 2018, 08:48 AM   #72
BT1985
"TRF" Member

The AD called me trying to buy back my GMT

Quote:

I was told by the ADs that I do business with that they have forum accounts and monitor what goes on regularly and was also told if I decide to sell my watch, not to post the serial number, warranty card or bill of sale so they don’t get in trouble. I do that because I don’t want to get them in trouble and out of mutual respect.

If I were an AD, I wouldn’t want to give the impression to anyone that I’m ok with the watches I sell being flipped.

That being said, I really don’t believe Rolex has its own “clandestine” department looking out for flippers, I believe that’s just a myth.

You are absolutely right that most ADs have forum accounts based on my first hand conversations(It has come up with at least 15). I also agree that in this case the AD was probably blaming Rolex to save face. The one thing I disagree on is that Rolex doesn’t monitor flipping. I agree that they don’t do it for all references but with references like the Daytona and BLRO they are. It would make no sense for ADs to behave this way if there wasn’t legitimate fear of repercussions by Rolex for supplying flippers.

Old 29 August 2018, 08:49 AM   #73
TTAlex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
Couldn't he have just checked his card against the serial on the BLNR? I'm confused as to why it was brought back at all.
The watch was gift wrapped (by them), and I brought it back to them gift wrapped. They unwrapped it in front of me, took it to a back room, removed the stickers, and then gift wrapped it again. I never saw it until I gave it to my dad.

I brought it back because they said I may have the wrong warranty card in the box and I didn't want my dad to have to deal with that. Guess I was a naive as to what they may do. Never occurred to me that they were tricking me.

He's thrilled with the watch, so I decided not to interact with them further about it. What could I do after the fact anyway? I wasn't a big customer there.
Old 29 August 2018, 08:51 AM   #74
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I hope you won't get blacklisted by Rolex because of the other guy selling the LN and disclosing the AD, as Rolex could think you are a flipper. Also, If his is such a concern for the AD, I guess they can just buy it from the other guy. I didn't think Rolex would pursue ADs like this.
Old 29 August 2018, 08:54 AM   #75
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The watch was gift wrapped (by them), and I brought it back to them gift wrapped. They unwrapped it in front of me, took it to a back room, removed the stickers, and then gift wrapped it again. I never saw it until I gave it to my dad.

I brought it back because they said I may have the wrong warranty card in the box and I didn't want my dad to have to deal with that. Guess I was a naive as to what they may do. Never occurred to me that they were tricking me.

He's thrilled with the watch, so I decided not to interact with them further about it. What could I do after the fact anyway? I wasn't a big customer there.
Are you sure the stickers were on it the first time they gift wrapped it? I'm not a big sticker guy as they mostly just annoy me, but if they did that without telling you that is really shitty.
Old 29 August 2018, 08:56 AM   #76
G.D.BeanCounter
Banned

Watch: Sky DayDate 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Wait a minute, I call BS to this story.
O I believe the AD called the OP, but the story that Rolex called the AD. You are telling me that someone at Rolex is watching this stuff on watch forums? They produce tons of watches each year, and they have time and an employee to flag this?
I think this: An employee at the AD spotted the listing, and they called you and used the BS story about Rolex calling them.
I believe they are referring to their Rolex area Sales Rep, who works for and answers to Rolex corporate, and is also responsible for allocating watches to the ADs in their region. Believe it or not, there are too many similar stories for it not to be a possible truth.
Old 29 August 2018, 08:58 AM   #77
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
I hope you won't get blacklisted by Rolex because of the other guy selling the LN and disclosing the AD, as Rolex could think you are a flipper. Also, If his is such a concern for the AD, I guess they can just buy it from the other guy. I didn't think Rolex would pursue ADs like this.

It would be great if anyone on this forum who was blacklisted by Rolex (not an AD) to let us know and how they were notified they were blacklisted.

Old 29 August 2018, 09:01 AM   #78
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Qadri View Post
I totally agree with this that we should NOT include the original receipt when trading or selling our Watch. This is important in order to protect the AD.

I totally disagree with that. I have a complete set with everything and sets make the most amount of money. Is a receipt going to add value nope, but it will confirm the date on the warranty card, the AD itself, SN etc. For normal people that just want to sell a watch and are not trusted dealers it helps build that trust for buyers.

If I ever sell my Sub buyer will get everything including the receipt.

I actually traded a DJ II 2 years ago and about 6 months ago found the receipt. I posted it here seeing if anyone had my watch and if wanted it. No one replied though so I pitched it.

Would love for an AD, Rolex or anyone call me that would be a great conversation.
Old 29 August 2018, 09:10 AM   #79
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I imagine the AD would bring the news of being blacklisted at Rolex's request next time you inquire about a certain model or ask to join a waiting list. And you'd be therefore refused the sale of popular sports steel models from the AD, again as per Rolex's decision. It could even spread to other ADs if Rolex share their blacklist with the entire distribution network. How difficult would that be? It'd be interesting indeed to hear from people who have experienced being blacklisted.
Quote:
It would be great if anyone on this forum who was blacklisted by Rolex (not an AD) to let us know and how they were notified they were blacklisted.

Old 29 August 2018, 09:11 AM   #80
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

I have no ill will to an AD but it’s show business not show friends. Once I made a sale I will do what I please. I will also accept consequences also IE no discounts can’t buy a model etc. Glad I only have one Rolex / can only afford that.

Prime example first Rolex I bought was from an AD. 3 other friends have spent close to 100k and none of us got a discount on a list anything. If I had a chance to sell something and the AD is listed I could care less who knows.
Old 29 August 2018, 09:15 AM   #81
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This

Just like when people say your warranty will not be honored as you are not the original owner / don’t have a bill of sale. Tons of people chime in but when you ask someone has it happened to them and prove it no one ever replies / shows a letter from Rolex etc.
Old 29 August 2018, 09:19 AM   #82
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Qadri View Post
Guys in my case the AD was happy enough that the ad of the watch that was purchased from the AD was taken down. As long as any reference to the AD and serial number is removed things were ok.

Now I obviously don’t think that I will be on any waiting list of this AD all due to the horrible mistake made by the guy I swapped my watch with for a blnr.

Glad things worked out. I can understand AD's position on this. They don't want to come across to Rolex as they are selling to grey market when all they are doing is selling to legitimate customers like you. Also, they offered to buy back at full price from you so that also shows they are willing to absorb any losses to keep their status with Rolex clean.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 29 August 2018, 10:57 AM   #83
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I would have told him that I’d trade him back the gmt for a white dial Daytona just to hear his reaction.

They can ask anything they want.... so can you :-)

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 29 August 2018, 11:12 AM   #84
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
Its not sad....Its ridiculous. There is no other industry where i've seen this occur, and i've never seen another client base tolerate this crap the way some here do.

I would buy back that LN and list it as many places as I could for really cheap, but never actually sell it. Literally list it everywhere. Serial number shown.

This Rolex stuff is ridiculous.

Who exactly do they think they are? THEY work to keep my business. Not the other way around.

I would literally make a video destroying mine before i'd let Rolex push me or my friendly neighborhood AD around.
Yes, there is.

Ford has the same (similar) rules for their GT40. Theirs is in writing though. They have a lawsuit in place against a guy who violated the written rule.

They make only a few of these cars so only certain chosen few get them. Not only that but also the price is kept artificially low. The guy who tried to make a quick buck off it, took away the opportunity for someone else who wanted to keep and enjoy the car.
Old 29 August 2018, 11:25 AM   #85
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
Clearly I am being hunted by Rolex. I just traded my exp i for a new exp ii with a well known grey dealer. Having had two transactions with DSW I would never walk into an AD unless this current climate subsided.
Old 29 August 2018, 11:34 AM   #86
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
The guy you traded with threw you under the bus. AD might believe your story but they may also prefer not to do business with you even though you didn’t do anything wrong.
Old 29 August 2018, 11:34 AM   #87
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbombkid View Post
I totally disagree with that. I have a complete set with everything and sets make the most amount of money. Is a receipt going to add value nope, but it will confirm the date on the warranty card, the AD itself, SN etc. For normal people that just want to sell a watch and are not trusted dealers it helps build that trust for buyers.

If I ever sell my Sub buyer will get everything including the receipt.

I actually traded a DJ II 2 years ago and about 6 months ago found the receipt. I posted it here seeing if anyone had my watch and if wanted it. No one replied though so I pitched it.

Would love for an AD, Rolex or anyone call me that would be a great conversation.
I remember that. It was a nice gesture.
Old 29 August 2018, 12:24 PM   #88
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
This is really beyond insanity. Rolex produces what? 1 million watches a year? Don't they have better things to do?
Yes, like produce more watches to meet demand!!!!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 29 August 2018, 12:26 PM   #89
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhren917 View Post
Yes, there is.

Ford has the same (similar) rules for their GT40. Theirs is in writing though. They have a lawsuit in place against a guy who violated the written rule.

They make only a few of these cars so only certain chosen few get them. Not only that but also the price is kept artificially low. The guy who tried to make a quick buck off it, took away the opportunity for someone else who wanted to keep and enjoy the car.
Ford GT my friend. The GT40 went out of production during the 1960s.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 29 August 2018, 01:51 PM   #90
ckwong
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, LVc
My AD told me they had a VIP customer who they sold a DayC to and then he flip it. The AD found out and they got in trouble with Rolex. The AD said Rolex might think the AD is getting a kickback from the flipper so they have to kind of prove that and a whole lot of other things they have to go through which they didn't share with me.
Closed Thread

Tags
ad experience , tracing