The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 September 2018, 02:58 AM   #331
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
AD's make more bux stiffin loyal customers...and sellin to greys at inflated bubble prices....lol...
What a business model..
Kinda like the black market..
Cant go forever..or can it..
define loyal customer. Buying one watch or only asking for populars isnt a loyal customer. Actual loyal customers are not having any issues.

I want a VC overseas which VC isnt supplying AD's at the moment because that dial is new this year. My AD knows the VC boutique two blocks away has one in the window and also knows I wont buy it there and ill wait as its not actually going to be hard to get. I also know i can ask for pretty much any watch and they will get it. Thats my definition and its mutually beneficial to both parties.

Most AD customers buy occasionally and usually only for hot models and they shop around for the rest. If they can get a DJ from a grey dealer at 25% off they dont buy from their AD. That isnt loyalty.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 9 September 2018, 02:59 AM   #332
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

Dose of Reality concerning the SS "Shortage"

Look what Rolex has done. It has turned TRF members against each other. This ain’t The Walking Dead yo. F-You Rolex! But I still love your watches. Sorry.
Old 9 September 2018, 04:09 AM   #333
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

This hyperbole is ridiculous. It’s called free market economics.
High demand/low supply=high price
Low demand/high supply=low price

There is no shortage of product unless you somehow feel entitled to pay your price instead of the markets price. If you don’t like it then don’t buy... and don’t complain. Complaining is unbelievably contagious and unproductive.

Rolex, their dealers and anyone else involved in the watch business are free to and should be applauded for doing whatever they see fit.

The personal opinions and the people attacking them are juvenile as hell. Take it over to Facebook if you want to swim in a cesspool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 September 2018, 04:09 AM   #334
op90no2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
That isnt loyalty.
I don't owe the AD anything beyond basic politeness and paying the invoice when presented. For the price Rolex charges, the burden should be on the AD to earn MY loyalty.

Seriously, the AD should kiss my keister, not vice-versa.

Some of you are just confused into believing that your "relationship" with the AD makes you special. It's just a watch, and from factory to dealer the sole purpose of the whole enterprise is to separate you from your money.
Old 9 September 2018, 04:11 AM   #335
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by op90no2 View Post
I don't owe the AD anything beyond basic politeness and paying the invoice when presented. For the price Rolex charges, the burden should be on the AD to earn MY loyalty.

Seriously, the AD should kiss my keister, not vice-versa.

Some of you are just confused into believing that your "relationship" with the AD makes you special. It's just a watch, and from factory to dealer the sole purpose of the whole enterprise is to separate you from your money.
it gets me watches and loyalty is rewarded. Simple. It doesnt make me special but it makes me not have to race around trying to find a watch.

Plenty of people are after the same watch as Rolex is restricting supply so the AD is the gatekeeper and how much they like you matters 100%, and it will continue as long as demand greatly exceeds supply.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 9 September 2018, 04:33 AM   #336
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Well, I already own a vehicle that does 0-60 in around 2.8 seconds. It is what it is.

Nobody needs a Rolex. But a Lamborghini is a whole different category of wretched excess. If I somehow convinced myself I "deserved" to own a Lamborghini, I would be embarrassed to show it off in public. But that's just me.

Somehow, there is a relationship between distorted attitudes toward wealth and consumption and "The Reality of the SS Shortage."

I'll leave it at that.
Why the hate? Why do you have a Rolex? You know its a similar concept right? a $20 watch could serve the same purpose, no need for the excess. Its the same logic with cars or anything really. You can want something for the status or you could be like a lot of us and really appreciate the history, workmanship, and precision that goes into something. I don't own anything because I think I "deserve" it, I come from a very modest humble upbringing, so I don't understand the misguided blind hate. For someone like yourself who I'm assuming owns a rolex (since your on here), your kinda being the pot calling the kettle black. Best wishes
Old 9 September 2018, 05:08 AM   #337
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
Look what Rolex has done. It has turned TRF members against each other. This ain’t The Walking Dead yo. ..
That's what happens when there's no Rolex SS sports to buy, bunch of guys sitting on their piles of cash frustrated, desperate, hopeless,...we need a change! Meanwhile I'm going out for a mountain bike ride

Old 9 September 2018, 05:13 AM   #338
jh225
"TRF" Member

I have to laugh at this entire thread with all the bickering and such, because as myself and others have stated, it is so easy to see what is happening, yet some choose to come up with conspiracy theories instead.

Simple fact is AD's are selling to Grey dealers in order to also move slow moving models that Rolex inundates the AD with, month after month.

The AD who is selling to Grey's are also making more money by selling the SS models over MSRP to the Grey. Why? Because they can, with this perceived shortage. That in turn give's the AD a better profit margin than selling to Joe Schmo customer.

Is that so hard to understand? The economy is at a high spot, consumers are buying more luxury items. Simple supply and demand.

Hell, a certain Grey dealer who has a YouTube presence comes right out and admits it. If he has $100K to spend with an AD and wants a few hard to get models, plus takes some of the AD's slow moving pieces, who do you think is going to get 1st dibs on the SS model? Hint. It ain't you.

Don't believe it? Do a YT search, it's easy to find.
Old 9 September 2018, 05:44 AM   #339
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
You can try to explain an accident to an eye witness but best one doesn’t attempt that. Here is a real life eyewitness account.

A friend manages a location for a company that owns many locations, not in my state.

His company has a location that is a Rolex AD.

My friend has access to view their inventory.

They have an SS BLRO in stock, so he is trying to get it sold to me.

Has taken request to CEO as has been advised I must have a purchase history of at least $45,000. Sadly, I have only spent a miserable chump change of $34,000. Let’s wait for the final answer.

Moral of the story:
They are hidden and bundled with other purchases/history. Just about all are playing these games.
Old 9 September 2018, 06:59 AM   #340
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
Look what Rolex has done. It has turned TRF members against each other. This ain’t The Walking Dead yo. F-You Rolex! But I still love your watches. Sorry.
OMG. Rolex has not turned TRF members against each other; our high opinions of our own understanding on matters we can often only speculate about has turned us against each other.

To blame Rolex for the pontification going back and forth here is ridiculous.

"Simple fact is . . ." Sorry, no.
Old 9 September 2018, 09:48 AM   #341
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
I have to laugh at this entire thread with all the bickering and such, because as myself and others have stated, it is so easy to see what is happening, yet some choose to come up with conspiracy theories instead.

Simple fact is AD's are selling to Grey dealers in order to also move slow moving models that Rolex inundates the AD with, month after month.

The AD who is selling to Grey's are also making more money by selling the SS models over MSRP to the Grey. Why? Because they can, with this perceived shortage. That in turn give's the AD a better profit margin than selling to Joe Schmo customer.

Is that so hard to understand? The economy is at a high spot, consumers are buying more luxury items. Simple supply and demand.

Hell, a certain Grey dealer who has a YouTube presence comes right out and admits it. If he has $100K to spend with an AD and wants a few hard to get models, plus takes some of the AD's slow moving pieces, who do you think is going to get 1st dibs on the SS model? Hint. It ain't you.

Don't believe it? Do a YT search, it's easy to find.
Well said. It’s honestly clear as day that this is going on.

The funny thing is, this has really benefited other brands. It’s evident this current enviroment is ticking people off, and they are looking to other brands. I’ve talked to a couple of ADs and boutiques of non-Rolex brands and they’ve all seen an uptick of customers. I think it’s a good thing, I like that other brands, especially independents, are getting their due.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
Old 9 September 2018, 10:53 AM   #342
op90no2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
Why the hate? Why do you have a Rolex? You know its a similar concept right? a $20 watch could serve the same purpose, no need for the excess. Its the same logic with cars or anything really. You can want something for the status or you could be like a lot of us and really appreciate the history, workmanship, and precision that goes into something. I don't own anything because I think I "deserve" it, I come from a very modest humble upbringing, so I don't understand the misguided blind hate. For someone like yourself who I'm assuming owns a rolex (since your on here), your kinda being the pot calling the kettle black. Best wishes
It's not blind hate. Don't be silly. More like carefully considered disdain.

It says here twenty-two thousand children die every day from poverty. Over the coming decades things are going to get a lot worse. I agree, it's hard to morally justify owning a five thousand dollar wristwatch. A two hundred thousand dollar car takes it to a completely different level.

A few clicks with a keyboard and mouse will take you to pages and pages of philosophy about wealth and morality. We are all implicated. Have at it.

Is this relevant to this forum? I think so, but if I had to guess I'd say the moderators would disagree. So that's all I have to say.
Old 9 September 2018, 12:15 PM   #343
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, I already own a vehicle that does 0-60 in around 2.8 seconds. It is what it is.

Nobody needs a Rolex. But a Lamborghini is a whole different category of wretched excess. If I somehow convinced myself I "deserved" to own a Lamborghini, I would be embarrassed to show it off in public. But that's just me.

Somehow, there is a relationship between distorted attitudes toward wealth and consumption and "The Reality of the SS Shortage."

I'll leave it at that.

Love when some tell others what to do with their money ....priceless
Old 9 September 2018, 12:50 PM   #344
op90no2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Love when some tell others what to do with their money ....priceless
Hi there. Please pardon me if I failed to express myself clearly. I do believe two hundred thousand dollar cars are a waste of money and a ridiculous affectation. But I definitely did not intend to tell the gentleman what to do with his money. If I had, it would have looked something like this:

"You should spend your money on a Honda Civic."

Hopefully this clears up any misunderstanding. Thanks!
Old 9 September 2018, 01:31 PM   #345
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
... AD's are selling to Grey dealers in order to also move slow moving models that Rolex inundates the AD with...
This is what the thread should‘ve been about, IMO. And no, no protest notes to Rolex and yes, supply and demand and the economy, but still... Rolex policy sucks.
Old 9 September 2018, 01:39 PM   #346
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_State View Post
This is what the thread should‘ve been about, IMO. And no, no protest notes to Rolex and yes, supply and demand and the economy, but still... Rolex policy sucks.
Hopefully Rolex begin to reassess their model lineup. There are clearly certain models that are slow sellers that ADs are forced to try and move. Wouldn’t it make sense to reduce DJ production? Maybe finally kill off models like the air king.

Give the people what they want and stop flooding ADs with models they can’t move. That way ADs have less incentive to ship popular models to greys in order to have the greys purchase the unwanted stock.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
Old 9 September 2018, 02:26 PM   #347
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Gentlemen, I think that this thread should be locked. We are not here to criticize others' possessions, or conduct personal attacks. This is a watch forum for watch enthusiasts, no matter the income of each individual. That's my personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 September 2018, 03:06 PM   #348
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Hopefully Rolex begin to reassess their model lineup. There are clearly certain models that are slow sellers that ADs are forced to try and move. Wouldn’t it make sense to reduce DJ production? Maybe finally kill off models like the air king.

Give the people what they want and stop flooding ADs with models they can’t move. That way ADs have less incentive to ship popular models to greys in order to have the greys purchase the unwanted stock.
Why hasn’t this happened? A company this big would know what moves and what doesn’t. That only makes sense. But I’m pretty sure the DJ is their number one selling model worldwide, even thou it’s not as popular here
Old 9 September 2018, 04:02 PM   #349
op90no2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nektar View Post
Gentlemen, I think that this thread should be locked. We are not here to criticize others' possessions, or conduct personal attacks. This is a watch forum for watch enthusiasts, no matter the income of each individual. That's my personal opinion.
Perhaps the thread should be locked, but not for the reason you give. Instead, lock it because the subject has been beaten to death and there is nothing new to say about it.

I propose starting a new thread titled, "What watch do you wear while eating bacon?"

Either that or, "My wife says seventeen Rolexes is too many. Should I divorce her?"

Or perhaps, "Post pictures of your watch with shredded cabbage."
Old 9 September 2018, 04:33 PM   #350
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
This is my opinion as well. The flood of hard to get, unused, SS models that grey dealers are receiving can’t solely be from flippers. There’s too much supply and there is a clear, mutual beneficial relationship the ADs and greys have in this environment for it not to be happening.

And I also don’t buy that Rolex is trying to snuff out the grey market either.

The grey market is quite intricate. There are players involved that nobody outside of the "game" has ever heard of and that is the way they will keep it.

Originally all new Rolex models originate from an AD (duh)...but where they go and who they went with is part of the grey puzzle.

1) AD will sell to Grey market directly. This happens without question. The Grey market buyer very well might be the AD largest customer...

2) Grey Market to Grey Market to "Retail" Not all grey market buyers sell to the general pubilc. There are bunches of guys and gals who sell these watches wholesale only to other dealers. They never deal with the end user. They get the watches from the AD, parcel them to other greys and so on...

3) Direct Flipper. This happens too, but not as often as the AD to Grey model. Some of these "flippers" are part of the wholesale network too . They are affiliates if you will. Then there are the lone wolf flippers who get access to a hot watch and sell it to the Grey they know as a one off, but aren't in the "network" so to speak.

You are also right that Rolex doesn't want to shut down the grey market, just control the pricing through limiting distribution. That maintains the integrity of the brand...etc.
Old 9 September 2018, 05:30 PM   #351
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Those boutique stores are not owned by Rolex. They are owned and operated by an AD under the guise of being a factory boutique.

Rolex has no need to run their own boutiques. The can have an AD do it for them and incur ALL the expenses. Build outs, staffing, rent....all on the AD for the privilege to be exclusively Rolex.
...and the biggest cost of all, locking up all your capital in inventory.
Old 9 September 2018, 05:41 PM   #352
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
exactly. People underestimate the sheer number of individuals who unload watches to secondary dealers.

Sure a secondary dealer gets a few hot watches thrown in when they buy 20 DJ's from an AD, but not enough to keep them fully stocked.
This would not explain how NIB models like the Air King, Cellini, Milgauss, OP, Yachtmaster, most PM models and almost all ladies models are readily available at or below MSRP at grey dealers
Old 9 September 2018, 06:05 PM   #353
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
This would not explain how NIB models like the Air King, Cellini, Milgauss, OP, Yachtmaster, most PM models and almost all ladies models are readily available at or below MSRP at grey dealers
sure it does. Those watches they buy a lot of so they get a better discount than you can get and the pricing reflects that. Because they buy up all those watches, sure they get a few hot models too, but not that many as AD's dont get that many and they have other customers too. The rest of the hot models come from individual flippers and there are a lot of them and they are amateurs so they find it difficult to sell/flip their watch themselves so they flip to a secondary dealer.
Closed Thread