The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2 September 2018, 06:16 PM   #121
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
If AD's are selling SS sport models straight to grey market and if Rolex cares I have a solution.
Make retail in house. Simply have boutiques in major cities, for the UK, London, Manchester and Glasgow.
Old 2 September 2018, 06:19 PM   #122
Quamby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
I hope this is going to happen. But I think Rolex is trying to pull a PP or Hermes Birkin situation.
But Rolex is not PP and most certainly not Hermes Birkin. Even Hermes have stuff they cannot shift or take months to be sold.

I'm gonna wait, I've been telling myself I won't be wearing a watch in 15 years and I only have two wrists. Either Rolex take my money soon or they never will.
Old 2 September 2018, 06:41 PM   #123
Waddy1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub date.
Well if a single grey dealer is getting that many watches from an AD, and most being the rare sports models like Daytona's etc. That certainly puts the AD have to buy 7/8 normal watches to get one Sports one into BS.
Old 2 September 2018, 07:28 PM   #124
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
The shortage of SS created by Rolex is just benefiting the grey dealers and nobody else. Rolex is encouraging people who do not appreciate watches to buy from these dealers. Real Rolex WIS hardly get any SS watches without paying ridiculous premium over the recommended retail price.
Really? I own pretty much every sought after SS Professional model there is from SubLV to both 116500's to new BLRO. I have never paid a premium nor had to "bundle" to get my watches. I buy from my AD who I have known and worked with for a few decades. I know many others in the same exact position all with great long term relationships with their AD's. Plenty of real Rolex fans and collectors here who own plenty of highly sought after watches just have a look around the forum and see. Those who have taken the time to build long term solid relationships get it and those that haven't well they don't quite get it. So find the right authorized dealer(there are plenty of them out there)and be patient!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 September 2018, 07:45 PM   #125
acfcheung
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K for now
Some of these greys are actually owned by people who own ADs

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 2 September 2018, 07:50 PM   #126
Quamby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfcheung View Post
Some of these greys are actually owned by people who own ADs

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
Yes Sir!!!!!!
Old 2 September 2018, 08:33 PM   #127
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Personaly i do not realy care about the current situation. In fact i prefer it this way. I own 5 Rolex models and 1 is due to arrive in a couple of months. Only 2 missing are the ss daytona and new Pepsi but i can wait. Its nice to know my Rolex collection is worth more then paid for mainly due to this shortage.

I realy like Rolex but there are so many other brands and nice watches. Why not simply go on a waiting list or sit this period out and meanwhile get a watch from a different brand? Get it second hand if you intend to flip once your name comes up or if it realy has be a Rolex you can still get an explorer or milgauss today.

I understand the current situation is harder for those who want to buy their first Sub but many here already have 1 or more models. Do you realy need that Pepsi right now?

I have about 6/7 watches on my shortlist, 2 are Rolex. So while i'll patiently wait for the Pepsi and Daytona i simply focus on the rest.
Old 2 September 2018, 09:39 PM   #128
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I started reading this post yesterday and it started to hurt my head as we are repeating the same things over again. Jumped in line today and here are my thoughts. Limited stock and crazy prices for hot models through the grey market. The grey's have what looks like unlimited stock at over msrp prices. Rolex does not sell to the grey market so the watches are coming from AD's. Rolex is manipulating the market and supply and demand and the AD's are playing the game and profiting. Ok, if that is the game, I don't choose to play. I have sold 5 of 7 Rolex watches this year and really don't have that feeling about them anymore. Still cool, but now I have gone back to Panerai and discovered IWC. I refuse to play games about supply and demand and pay what I think are stupid prices for mass produced watches. The TRF as also changed based on the market as I read constantly about values and costs. I look forward to the day when the market falls out and some watch people move on to another hobby. It will happen.
Old 2 September 2018, 09:47 PM   #129
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Rolex makes its fair share if undesirables and forces ADs to buy them to keep their account. ADs can't give the undesirables away and they dump them to the GM along with the Scooby snacks (steel sports) to make up for the fact the GM can't give those undesirables away either.

And I know for a fact that ADs keep watches in the back vs in the display. I guess they can be more selective on who gets to handle their watches which is a good thing. Lots of tire kickers out there.

And Rolex does punish an AD that sells a hot watches to a person who flips it.

I know ADs get a lot if heat but must be tough to be an AD for Rolex.

I love Rolex 40mm steel sports watches (and DJ) and a few TT and PM 40-44mm pieces; I think this is a common theme for the majority of collectors. The question is why does this pool of watches not seem account for the majority of the Rolex line up.

Sometimes I feel that Rolex is a ine trick pony in denial.
Old 2 September 2018, 10:59 PM   #130
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The M3 Guy View Post
Just thinking of ways for Rolex to increase the traceability of the watches they sell.

Blockchain!

But seriously too much transparency would get certain people and companies in a bunch of hot water. The system of selling these watches is already established and Rolex clearly approves of it.

If I sold fakes in a jewelry store Rolex would shut me down before I could even sell one.

If I sold my rolexes to a grey... well nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 September 2018, 12:52 AM   #131
kingSubTT
"TRF" Member

Watch: SmurfDaytonaBLNR
Rolex should increase the MSRP. Possibly double it.
Old 3 September 2018, 01:11 AM   #132
Quamby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingSubTT View Post
Rolex should increase the MSRP. Possibly double it.
And sell nothing when the economy softens or go into recession.
Old 3 September 2018, 01:44 AM   #133
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Well said, couldn’t be more true
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Really? I own pretty much every sought after SS Professional model there is from SubLV to both 116500's to new BLRO. I have never paid a premium nor had to "bundle" to get my watches. I buy from my AD who I have known and worked with for a few decades. I know many others in the same exact position all with great long term relationships with their AD's. Plenty of real Rolex fans and collectors here who own plenty of highly sought after watches just have a look around the forum and see. Those who have taken the time to build long term solid relationships get it and those that haven't well they don't quite get it. So find the right authorized dealer(there are plenty of them out there)and be patient!
Old 3 September 2018, 03:39 AM   #134
Enoch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Same here.... I’ve managed to get a sub ND, SD50, Pepsi all from the same dealer, all from going in, chatting, and asking politely to go on the list.

I even picked up a watch today, admittedly not one of the impossible to get ones but a 2 week wait on a new DJ is a result in my book...

Had a great chat with the sales lady today, and was informed that as an employee she is not allowed to buy any SS sports Rolex for herself or her family. Company policy is that long standing customers get first dibs.. it really is as simple as that..

Today she offered me a CHNR, because the first on the list wasn’t contactable, second on the list had changed his mind, and so she asked if I’d like it... if I hadn’t just bought the Pepsi and DJ I’d be tempted, but my gut feeling is that it should go to someone that really wants it... not someone that wants it because it’s hard to get..
Old 3 September 2018, 04:15 AM   #135
Pius XIII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the majority here aren’t whales who have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars at an AD like some here hence the frustration.
Old 3 September 2018, 04:47 AM   #136
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pius XIII View Post
I think the majority here aren’t whales who have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars at an AD like some here hence the frustration.
I know plenty of people that buy a SS watch here and there and have gotten highly sought after pieces. Again build a relationship with a good AD and have a chance or complain or pay premium.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 3 September 2018, 04:49 AM   #137
kanderson1965
"TRF" Member

Watch: with mother
One of the great advantages of buying the watch you like rather than as an investment giving you the best possible return is you can look outside the Rolex bubble and save yourself so much angst.
Old 3 September 2018, 04:49 AM   #138
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
No question.
Old 3 September 2018, 05:17 AM   #139
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

All I know is that I put 50% down in March for a Pepsi and haven’t heard Jack crap since then...so something isn’t working as planned for me
Old 3 September 2018, 05:38 AM   #140
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Not sure I understand what’s going on. The OP is asserting that Rolex hasn’t necessarily cut down on production of SS sports models, rather that AD’s are diverting them to the grey market. Why? Are AD’s selling watches to the grey market for more than full MSRP? If not, sell them to regular customers.
Yes, the grey dealers are paying over MSRP
Old 3 September 2018, 05:47 AM   #141
Halitosis
"TRF" Member

Watch: my angry dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheez View Post
Rolex should just shut down ADs at this point and only have Rolex boutiques for end user to look and handle.

Add direct to consumer online sales.

Cut out everyone else.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
This. Rolex would then make more money, and win (back?) customer loyalty
Old 3 September 2018, 06:04 AM   #142
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
The dark side is strong with this thread.
Old 3 September 2018, 06:40 AM   #143
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

If, as has been said, you take the time to build a relationship with an AD, spend a fair bit of money at that AD then you will get a chance to purchase the harder to acquire models at that AD. THAT IS WHAT GREYS DO, but on a much larger scale. A sale is a sale, money talks.
Old 3 September 2018, 06:49 AM   #144
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
Yes, the grey dealers are paying over MSRP
Grey dealers also have hundreds of thousands in cash money to buy up tons of watches at a time. As they say money talks.
Old 3 September 2018, 07:08 AM   #145
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel80 View Post
You walk into any AD around the world and all you see are empty shops with Datejusts. The way things are at the moment, they might as well rename the ADs to ‘DateJust ADs’ and the grey dealers as the Rolex ‘Sports model dealers’. That’s how it is right now.
you are on the money and it's a sad state of affairs to walk in and see that
Old 3 September 2018, 07:11 AM   #146
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Just checked the Rolex website.

Here in Scotland there are 9 ADs listen, 5 in Ireland (North + South) and around 50 in England.

Most UK ADs claim to see only a handful of ceramic Daytonas a year and last year my old AD said they were a BLNR every 3-4 months.

For a company that makes say 800,000 watches per year thats a tiny fraction coming here and a TON of them end up for sale almost immediately on the secondary market.
Old 3 September 2018, 07:24 AM   #147
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Grey dealers also have hundreds of thousands in cash money to buy up tons of watches at a time. As they say money talks.
Yep

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 3 September 2018, 07:28 AM   #148
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
I’m no whale.

Hopefully someday. But not currently.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 3 September 2018, 07:32 AM   #149
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
That's very nice but what if you are 25 years old, have never owned a Rolex before but desperately want to buy a SS Pepsi to celebrate your graduation? Is it just a case of "tough - come back in a few decades"? Would such a person not be considered a 'worthy' customer? I personally think they have just as much right (maybe more right) to own that Pepsi as an octogenarian who already owns 10 other watches.
Old 3 September 2018, 07:40 AM   #150
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
That's very nice but what if you are 25 years old, have never owned a Rolex before but desperately want to buy a SS Pepsi to celebrate your graduation? Is it just a case of "tough - come back in a few decades"? Would such a person not be considered a 'worthy' customer? I personally think they have just as much right (maybe more right) to own that Pepsi as an octogenarian who already owns 10 other watches.
Everyone has to start somewhere and nobody has a right per say to any watch. It’s really simple: Get on a list, whine and complain, pay a premium or simply get over it. As for how the real business world works smart business owners reward loyalty. If they didn’t they wouldn’t create loyalty.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Closed Thread