The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 December 2018, 01:00 PM   #61
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Obviously it comes down to personal preference, but I will contribute my 2 cents. I have a relatively large collection at present (maybe 15), but it all started with the Moonwatch in 2010. I sold that piece at some point along the way (big mistake), but reacquired one a few years later. It’s the least expensive watch in my collection, but it’s my favorite (even excluding sentimentality). It’s the only watch I’ve ever come across that looks equally good on bracelet or leather, it’s matte dial is something I desperately wish more watches employed, it’s busy enough to keep you interested but not so much to cause clutter or harm legibility, and it never seems out of place. I’m not a one watch guy, but if there came a time when I was forced to sell all but one, the speedmaster would remain.
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:39 PM   #62
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
Rolex OP everyday the moonwatch is a plastic.hand winding.non submersible...watch....
Your call
True, true and false(50m WR) the first two are the best part, but I’m a WIS

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:41 PM   #63
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
Sell the tag and get both. I have the feeling your only looking at the OP because of price point. Yes it’s a Rolex but most consider it the entry level Rolex. My advice would be to look at all the Rolex lines before deciding. I would personally go for a DJ over a OP and when configured with the smooth bezel and oyster I don’t think it’s all that much more and you get a date function! And 70 hr power reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OP 39 vs the DJ is a lot like picking between a Sub date or no date. I lean towards the OP since it also has a brushed bracelet as opposed to polished Center links and the simplicity without the date is very compelling. I also own a moonwatch (which I love) but would buy the OP over the moonwatch first.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:43 PM   #64
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I agree that the Speedo is an icon, an icon that leaks like a sieve. Not for me; you'd think a watch named after a swimsuit would be able to go in the water.
Do you dive much to 167ft with your speedy most in here won’t even get there DSSD wet, this forum...

Old 7 December 2018, 01:53 PM   #65
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
Do you dive much to 167ft with your speedy most in here won’t even get there DSSD wet, this forum...
You can NOT swim or scuba diving with a Speedmaster Professional !!!
It's rain waterproof watch ! (Ask NASA 😀 )

With the Oyster Perpetual you can swim or shower every day.

Every day, The Rolex way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_6Yp7FV_6o

Most in here won’t even get there DSSD wet, this forum...

I do ! Even with my Sky-Dweller.

&

Oyster Perpetual Day-Date 228206
IMG_8932.jpg

Do I swim with my Patek Philippe 5712 ?
No way !

That is why we have Rolex for every day, it's The Rolex way.
Seaotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:54 PM   #66
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
The OP 39 vs the DJ is a lot like picking between a Sub date or no date. I lean towards the OP since it also has a brushed bracelet as opposed to polished Center links and the simplicity without the date is very compelling. I also own a moonwatch (which I love) but would buy the OP over the moonwatch first.

I would say the better movement. The iconic style of fluted. And mainly the easy link!!! After having a watch with it I wouldn’t want want without some sort of micro adjustments. No point of having a 6k plus watch that doesn’t fit right half of the time. Although the newer OPs are nice for what you get configuring a Dj with smooth and oyster the price difference and the date and easy link make it a easy choice in my eyes. Especially if it was a 1 or 2 watch collection. If I had about 4 and wanted to add a fifth then the OP would be something I would consider. But I’m in the boat that a watch should have a date. To each their own. I see the Benefit of a no date aesthetically though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 02:40 PM   #67
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Seaotter;9149556]

You can NOT swim or scuba diving with a Speedmaster Professional !!!
It's rain waterproof watch ! (Ask NASA ��)

and this is based on facts right or we just say whatever we want and hope it sticks? I won’t argue that it’s not a dive watch, thats pretty clear. Maybe I’m wrong but Omegas website states:

WATER RESISTANCE
5 bar (50 metres / 167 feet)

That’s a hell of a rain storm

Old 7 December 2018, 02:43 PM   #68
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

LOL Try it !!!

Based on facts ?

Based on experience.

en.jpg

Good Luck
Old 7 December 2018, 02:49 PM   #69
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Well, at least you can't go wrong with either choice. Have you had the chance to try on a Speedmaster too?

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 04:26 PM   #70
dubins930
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaotter View Post
LOL Try it !!!

Based on facts ?

Based on experience.

Attachment 1003292

Good Luck
This chart is a piece of garbage... And it looks like an 8 year old made it. I'll believe this hand drawn chart over the manufacturer
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 06:03 PM   #71
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I agree with the chart and seaotter who I think a good member. Can you take a 50m swimming, I would say in an emergency or sparingly for most watches at that rating.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 08:38 PM   #72
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Both are great choices, but on different price points as the Speedy can be purchased for less. No wrong choice there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 09:22 PM   #73
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
My pennies worth.

Go on an Omega forum and ask the same question.

I never got the Speedy for ages until I tried one on, it's now been ticking away happily since the clock change on the 25th of October and has gained a whole 7 seconds. The watch is very well finished and the bracelet is excellent, it also looks good on a NATO or leather strap. As for water resistance 90% of Rolex owners poo their pants if they do the washing up wearing their DSSD.
As for it being a manual wind well that's one of the enjoyments of Speedy ownership winding your watch.
And yes I do have a few Rolexes but am not totally blinkered into believing that no other watch brands exist. Most Rolex watches are simply overpriced fashion jewellery now.

That's it thought over it's entirely your choice and I have never really understood the need for validation of choice.

So to sum all the crap I have just typed up.

Buy whatever you want and don't ever worry about what other people think (including me ) you have one life live it.
Old 7 December 2018, 10:25 PM   #74
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
i agree with the chart and seaotter who i think a good member. Can you take a 50m swimming, i would say in an emergency or sparingly for most watches at that rating.
Classic Watches kopie.jpg
Explorer 14270/Speedmaster Professional/Submariner/Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaut.

Speedmaster Professional is Outer Space proof.
And that can be very useful if you regularly visit the universe.

(I think this is a NASA movie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN0wK-wXqY0

By the way:

Breitling Navitimer means: Navigation Timer and not NAVY Timer (3ATM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmGuy0jievs

The Breitling Navitimer is also Outer Space proof.
I'm not sure if you can walk on the moon with it, but flying around the earth is no problem. That's why I use the Speedmaster only for moon travel holidays.
Omega Speedmaster = "flight-qualified by NASA.” and that is very important ! Otherwise you get moon dust in your watch.
For earthly things (where water was found a long time ago) my preference goes to the Oyster watchcase.

Note:
Breitling Navitimer = NOT "flight-qualified by NASA.” (so be careful with moon dust !!!)

Explorer 14270 & Submariner = NOT Outer Space proof !!! + NOT "flight-qualified by NASA.”
Avoid these watches if you go to space !!!
Old 7 December 2018, 11:28 PM   #75
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaotter View Post
Attachment 1003334
Explorer 14270/Speedmaster Professional/Submariner/Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaut.

Speedmaster Professional is Outer Space proof.
And that can be very useful if you regularly visit the universe.

By the way:

Breitling Navitimer means: Navigation Timer and not NAVY Timer (3ATM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmGuy0jievs

The Breitling Navitimer is also Outer Space proof.
I'm not sure if you can walk on the moon with it, but flying around the earth is no problem. That's why I use the Speedmaster only for moon travel holidays.
Omega Speedmaster = "flight-qualified by NASA.” and that is very important ! Otherwise you get moon dust in your watch.
For earthly things (where water was found a long time ago) my preference goes to the Oyster watchcase.

Note:
Breitling Navitimer = NOT "flight-qualified by NASA.” (so be careful with moon dust !!!)

Explorer 14270 & Submariner = NOT Outer Space proof !!! + NOT "flight-qualified by NASA.”
Avoid these watches if you go to space !!!
I’ll have what he is drinking

Old 8 December 2018, 12:33 AM   #76
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster and OP 39 both to big on my wrist. But if I had the choice it would be the Speedy. Easy! Its an iconic an fantastic looking watch. Put it against Explorer 1 and the competition is more even, but I would still go for the Omega. Its something very special.
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 01:08 AM   #77
jlknights61
"TRF" Member

Update: As if the decision was not difficult enough, I tried on an explorer I. Beautiful watch though I don’t find the black dial quite as interesting as the white dial on the OP. I do have a question though, why does it seem most people value the explorer more highly than the OP. Certainly there is more history with the OP, and although people attribute the explorer to Edmund Hillary and his summit of Mt. Everest, he was actually wearing a white dial Oyster Perpetual. What attribute does the explorer have that pushes it over the OP.
jlknights61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 01:53 AM   #78
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlknights61 View Post
Update: As if the decision was not difficult enough, I tried on an explorer I. Beautiful watch though I don’t find the black dial quite as interesting as the white dial on the OP. I do have a question though, why does it seem most people value the explorer more highly than the OP. Certainly there is more history with the OP, and although people attribute the explorer to Edmund Hillary and his summit of Mt. Everest, he was actually wearing a white dial Oyster Perpetual. What attribute does the explorer have that pushes it over the OP.
For me it’s more the look then history, the history part is a perk. The dial, hands and clasp on the explorer would cause me to lean toward the exp. it’s more sporty looking vs the op, is a datejust without the date.

Old 8 December 2018, 02:16 AM   #79
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For me it’s more the look then history, the history part is a perk. The dial, hands and clasp on the explorer would cause me to lean toward the exp. it’s more sporty looking vs the op, is a datejust without the date.
+1
Both beautiful watches.
Explorer extra EasyLink + Oysterlock.
Old 8 December 2018, 03:01 AM   #80
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Between those 2, no doubt the Speedy wins.
However, it is very much a subjective choice, so do as your heart tells you
Old 8 December 2018, 03:11 AM   #81
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
Obviously it comes down to personal preference, but I will contribute my 2 cents. I have a relatively large collection at present (maybe 15), but it all started with the Moonwatch in 2010. I sold that piece at some point along the way (big mistake), but reacquired one a few years later. It’s the least expensive watch in my collection, but it’s my favorite (even excluding sentimentality). It’s the only watch I’ve ever come across that looks equally good on bracelet or leather, it’s matte dial is something I desperately wish more watches employed, it’s busy enough to keep you interested but not so much to cause clutter or harm legibility, and it never seems out of place. I’m not a one watch guy, but if there came a time when I was forced to sell all but one, the speedmaster would remain.
Well said. This describes my experience, and it describes how I feel about owning and using my Speedmaster Pro.

There is a subtle but important point to call out here: as Mike did, I bought the Speedmaster Pro, then traded it away, then bought it again for keeps later. The first purchase and subsequent trade away happened when I had been buying and wearing good watches for just a couple of years, and the second purchase to keep for ever and ever happened maybe five years after that (with lots of trading and shuffling going on over those five years). I'm guessing there are plenty more people out there with experience similar to this.

It sounds like you're approximately in the spot I was when I bought the first Speedmaster Pro, and I'll bet you a dollar that you're going to do the same thing Mike and I did

Which ever watch you choose, you'll have a really cool piece on your wrist. Yeah, you'll still trade it away because the grass is gonna look greener on the other side of the fence for the next few years, but you'll probably add the Speedmaster Pro back some day, and you'll keep it for ever and ever
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 03:13 AM   #82
jlknights61
"TRF" Member

I understand where you both are coming from, but the price difference is essentially negligible, they use the exact same movement to my understanding. The only differences I see are cosmetic, yet people seem to view and describe the OP as just a Datejust without a date, or the Rolex you purchase when you cannot afford any of the others. Whereas one on picks the explorer somehow they are a discerning Rolex buyer with some higher appreciation for the brand. I don't get it.

By all accounts the Oyster Perpetual is "the" Rolex. It was the first waterproof dustproof watch, the first automatic watch, and the basis for all other Rolex watches made. It was the Oyster Perpetual that summitted Mt. Everest on Sir Edmund Hillary's wrist. The explorer was released after this accomplishment for what I can only discern as a genius marketing move by Rolex to capitalize on the Everest summitting achievement. The Air King was created in response to RAF pilots purchasing and wearing Oyster Perpetual watches during WWII due to their superior size, legibility, and build quality.

Please don't misunderstand or take this the wrong way, I can very much appreciate the design, achievement, and history of other Rolex models, and quite enjoy many of them. I also completely understand that everyone is entitled to their own aesthetic preferences which would lead one to choose a specific model over another. I do not, however, understand the seemingly the disparaging or depreciative sentiments expressed towards the Oyster Perpetual.

This is not specifically targeted at responses which this thread has garnered, but from the totality of my observations while researching Rolex watches and the Oyster Perpetual specifically. I apologize, if I have misinterpreted anyone's comments and do not mean this in a negative way, but am rather presenting the opening to a dialog of discussion regarding the perception, history, and purpose of the Oyster Perpetual model both today and throughout its production.
Old 8 December 2018, 03:23 AM   #83
Panych
"TRF" Member

Initially I advised you to go with the speedy. Howevere, I did not take into consideration that I had already had Rolex before I bought the speedy.

So, given the fact that the Rolex is more expensive then the Speedy, possibly it might strategically be more reasonable to buy the Rolex first... anyway you will return to the Speedy in the future and psychologically it would be easiyer to buy it after the rolex....))).

Anyway, go with the one that YOU really love and don’t rely on others. If you in doubt then.... you might be on the wrong way....
Panych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 03:35 AM   #84
jlknights61
"TRF" Member

I totally agree which is why I am now leaning towards the Rolex. I am almost certain I will eventually acquire a Speedmaster.

So my thought process has been in the past few days considering the situation it is finding most Rolex watches, the fact that it is significantly more expensive, that I don't currently have a Rolex, and that you can find Speedmasters everywhere and I can be fairly certain Omega will not stop producing them anytime soon I should buy the Rolex now and wait on the Omega.

Now the question is to make sure I am picking out the correct Rolex, and what I fine predicament in which to find oneself.
Old 8 December 2018, 04:30 AM   #85
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
I live four houses from the ocean and actively participate in water sports. The likelihood of my going to the moon is much less than going in the water. If I get an opportunity to go to the moon the Speedo will be first on my list. I still own the one in the middle (which is covered with sunscreen).

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 04:36 AM   #86
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I totally agree which is why I am now leaning towards the Rolex. I am almost certain I will eventually acquire a Speedmaster.

So my thought process has been in the past few days considering the situation it is finding most Rolex watches, the fact that it is significantly more expensive, that I don't currently have a Rolex, and that you can find Speedmasters everywhere and I can be fairly certain Omega will not stop producing them anytime soon I should buy the Rolex now and wait on the Omega.

Now the question is to make sure I am picking out the correct Rolex, and what I fine predicament in which to find oneself.
Oyster Perpetual 114300 / Explorer 214270

Difficult ! Follow your instinct.
Old 8 December 2018, 07:55 AM   #87
jlknights61
"TRF" Member

Update: Basically, I have decided to purchase a Rolex and to save the Speedmaster for a later purchase.

The decision now comes down to the Oyster Perpetual 39mm in White or the Explorer I which obviously has the black dial. Suggestions?
Old 8 December 2018, 08:02 AM   #88
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Update: Basically, I have decided to purchase a Rolex and to save the Speedmaster for a later purchase.

The decision now comes down to the Oyster Perpetual 39mm in White or the Explorer I which obviously has the black dial. Suggestions?
Out of those easily the Explorer.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 08:11 AM   #89
mg Barcelona
Banned

OP39 white all day long. I owned the Speedy for 5 years and sold it, it didn't do anything for me. A Rolex is a Rolex and the OP39 in white is a damn good looking one.
mg Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 08:11 AM   #90
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:

The Explorer just has more going on to my eye. In a good way. It’s classy, elegant and sporty all at the same time. Goes great with a suit or with shorts.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote