The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 December 2018, 09:57 AM   #61
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post
so i am not the only one,

as i say, not quite what it says on the tin. it's probably plus 2 minus 2 if you dont wear it and leave it on a winder at a certain temperature,

i am sure it can be tweaked, but i dont want to risk it in the post, and i dont want to wait,

maybe in the new year,

the grand seiko power drive is the way to do a mechanical watch i believe.
Grand seiko is not a purely mechanical watch, it has a quartz regulator.
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 10:18 AM   #62
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1111 View Post
Grand seiko is not a purely mechanical watch, it has a quartz regulator.
I suspect you know, Grand Seiko does make fully mechanical watches. You're referring specifically to the Spring Drive line of Grand Seiko. (And of course, they also make high-end quartz watches.)
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 10:19 AM   #63
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree and if any watch is regulated on a machine like this new -2+2 SPEC at time of testing in a controlled environment,but in a uncontrolled environment results on the wrist could be different.I have seen many posts on forum saying there watches have not lost or gained a second in days, weeks,or even a month plus. IMHO some of these posts the owners must live on fantasy island or have a movement in a 100000000.
I'm now 12 secs positive on ten days on my new watch. This is the first watch I've owned which has come close to the spec (actually within it). There are some on the forum who regulate by resting position at night and claim really great precision; Adam is one of those.

It's a bad idea for Rolex to publish a spec and not be able or willing to meet it. I really wonder if Rolex doesn't plan for certain average conditions and designs test and sets the watches accordingly. They've drawn a line in the sand; they are obligated to regulate to meet it.

Regarding others who have watches that haven't met their +/-2 sec. accuracy spec their are really a few choices: 1) is to return the watch for regulation, 2) return the watch as a lemon after multiple attempts are made or in agreement with the seller, 3) live with the best efforts presented to regulate it to spec. Regulation if not bought from an AD is expensive unless there's easy access to an RSC or trusted repair shop. It cost me $75 to get a watch to meet COSC spec on my first Rolex.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 10:26 AM   #64
kgglonghorn
"TRF" Member

my wife's datejust loses all sorts of time...been to the RSC twice, they say its fine. Maybe something with her!! I have no issues with my Rolexes keeping good time.
kgglonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 10:46 AM   #65
AboutTime
"TRF" Member

I bought a SubC 114060 from my AD last July. It loses about 2 seconds per day. I'm satisfied with that performance although I would prefer that it gain 2 seconds per day.
AboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 12:04 PM   #66
J_1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgglonghorn View Post
my wife's datejust loses all sorts of time...been to the RSC twice, they say its fine. Maybe something with her!! I have no issues with my Rolexes keeping good time.
My wife can't wear mechanical watches. They don't keep time very well when she wears them. Leave it on the dresser, +1 to 2 seconds a day. On her wrist, +10 seconds or more per day.
J_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:57 PM   #67
timedate
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_1964 View Post
My wife can't wear mechanical watches. They don't keep time very well when she wears them. Leave it on the dresser, +1 to 2 seconds a day. On her wrist, +10 seconds or more per day.

really.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 06:08 PM   #68
timedate
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
From the standpoint of keeping the power reserve up, maybe never. If you find the timekeeping a bit off, you could try topping it off once a week.

From the standpoint of keeping the stem in working order, it wouldn't be a bad idea to wind the watch monthly. We had a member here who, like you, never took his watch off, and went a very long time without winding it. At some point, he did need to wind it, and the action had become quite rough. He sent it in for service, and it turns out the oils had migrated away from the stem from lack of use. It was recommended to him he wind the watch monthly after that, just as a precaution.

good advice, just wound it, will do fortnightly
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 01:06 AM   #69
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
From the standpoint of keeping the power reserve up, maybe never. If you find the timekeeping a bit off, you could try topping it off once a week.

From the standpoint of keeping the stem in working order, it wouldn't be a bad idea to wind the watch monthly. We had a member here who, like you, never took his watch off, and went a very long time without winding it. At some point, he did need to wind it, and the action had become quite rough. He sent it in for service, and it turns out the oils had migrated away from the stem from lack of use. It was recommended to him he wind the watch monthly after that, just as a precaution.
I guess every watch is different. In forty years of daily wear, I never wound my 1680 Sub and never had any problems. Probably the only time it was wound was when it was serviced at an RSC, and IIRC, it was on a winder when I picked it up. It gained around two minutes a month.
Old 11 December 2018, 03:06 AM   #70
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
Where have Rolex ever 'guaranteed' that spec? What they say is that it met those parameters in factory tests....not on the wrist.
Unhappy people might be better-off buying a good quartz watch, or a spring-drive.No mechanical watch will meet such a tight spec in all wearing conditions. Quite unrealistic.
No, they advertise the watch's accuracy as being -2/+2. And they will carry out regulation under warranty if the watch falls outwith those specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree and if any watch is regulated on a machine like this new -2+2 SPEC at time of testing in a controlled environment,but in a uncontrolled environment results on the wrist could be different.I have seen many posts on forum saying there watches have not lost or gained a second in days, weeks,or even a month plus. IMHO some of these posts the owners must live on fantasy island or have a movement in a 100000000.
Mine is extremely accurate at circa +2s per week. And I certainly don't live on a fantasy island

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I'm now 12 secs positive on ten days on my new watch. This is the first watch I've owned which has come close to the spec (actually within it). There are some on the forum who regulate by resting position at night and claim really great precision; Adam is one of those.

It's a bad idea for Rolex to publish a spec and not be able or willing to meet it. I really wonder if Rolex doesn't plan for certain average conditions and designs test and sets the watches accordingly. They've drawn a line in the sand; they are obligated to regulate to meet it.

Regarding others who have watches that haven't met their +/-2 sec. accuracy spec their are really a few choices: 1) is to return the watch for regulation, 2) return the watch as a lemon after multiple attempts are made or in agreement with the seller, 3) live with the best efforts presented to regulate it to spec. Regulation if not bought from an AD is expensive unless there's easy access to an RSC or trusted repair shop. It cost me $75 to get a watch to meet COSC spec on my first Rolex.
This. 100%

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote