The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 December 2018, 03:42 PM   #1
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Aquaracer
BLNR I Hate and Love You Equally

So I’ve settled on what I want after trying to talk myself into several others; a BLNR. I know this will come at an unfortunate premium right now but it just sings to me. The colors match my company colors and that’s part of the reason I’m buying a Rolex in the first place. I like unique things, something that retains value is a plus as well but my question is this. Are the 11.5k-13.5 price tags strictly related to the SS shortage right now or was this always the case? I was not chasing this watch two years ago when I started the hunt for a Rolex. Yes I will keep this forever but I’m frugal and if the watch drops by 3k next year I’ll be mad at myself. Please help in any way you guys can.

Also, I’m in Hawaii, if I got lucky enough to find a private seller locally is it worth it to save some money?
Pay M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 03:59 PM   #2
freebo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I thought they were available for list-price in US based AD's? From memory about $8.5k? 2 years ago I was in Seattle and the local AD had one when I walked in, again list price.

I'm in Australia and you just can't find them here, I bought mine while visiting the UK at list price but was incredibly lucky.

Or have things changed?

Its a lovely watch BTW, still loving mine.
freebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

Yeah, no way to find one here at the moment. Glad you found yours though!
Old 10 December 2018, 04:04 PM   #4
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Stop thinking so much just buy the darn thing; it's a fantastic watch:) If the rumor that the BLNR will be discontinued is true the price is going to go up (possibly by more than 3k).

BUY IT!
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:07 PM   #5
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
BLNR price is gonna explode...so better hurry!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 10 December 2018, 04:31 PM   #6
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
It will drop: old movement, fat case. Bad investment for sure
Old 10 December 2018, 04:34 PM   #7
calh22a
Banned

It’s a great watch! Finding one right now may be challenging. If you’ve been reading the forum over the past few days there was a thread about the BLNR being discontinued and another one indicating all the grey sellers are getting their supply bought up or taken down because of the possibility of it being discontinued. I think you’ll have difficulties sourcing one from an AD in a short time and if you want to go Grey I think prices are going to keep going up due to all the speculation that it will be discontinued. Good luck in your search
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
Some say it will tank in value now; some say it will rise. I’m sure no one really knows - it may well just stay where it is, hovering a few thousand above MRSP.

But surely it matters not. It’s the watch you want for very good reasons and you aren’t likely to sell it. Whether it climbs or tanks in value, it’s still the same watch to wear..... buy the watch, not it’s value.

By the way, it’s a brilliant watch!
Old 10 December 2018, 04:37 PM   #9
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
I take it this is a joke considering both your watches have the fat case and old movement...prices have gone up not down relative to MSRP.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:38 PM   #10
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calh22a View Post
It’s a great watch! Finding one right now may be challenging. If you’ve been reading the forum over the past few days there was a thread about the BLNR being discontinued and another one indicating all the grey sellers are getting their supply bought up or taken down because of the possibility of it being discontinued. I think you’ll have difficulties sourcing one from an AD in a short time and if you want to go Grey I think prices are going to keep going up due to all the speculation that it will be discontinued. Good luck in your search
Yeah, I have noticed this! The part that has me torn is that I can get an LB for 2k less than MSRP and the Batman will cost me 2k over MSRP.
Old 10 December 2018, 04:43 PM   #11
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay M3 View Post
Yeah, I have noticed this! The part that has me torn is that I can get an LB for 2k less than MSRP and the Batman will cost me 2k over MSRP.
Get what you really want the first time round. Otherwise it will work out even more costly in the long run
Reinhard in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:44 PM   #12
ahlee00023
"TRF" Member

The 116710BLNR is one of the best watches I've owned. I don't care if it goes up or down in value, because I will never sell it. If you're into it, then just buy it and enjoy it. If you have doubts, then don't buy it and wonder about it for the rest of your life.
Old 10 December 2018, 05:17 PM   #13
freebo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Apparently I could sell mine for a profit right now, but I'm not planning to, so the street price going up or down really doesn't affect me.
freebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 07:41 PM   #14
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
I've currently got 6 watches - Daytona 116520 (with WG Panda dial & red hands), 2 Sea Dwellers (aluminum and ceramic bezel), 2 GMTs (Pepsi Ceramic and BLNR), and an AP ROO 42mm Vampire with ceramic bezel....hands down, if I had to have ONE watch it would be the BLNR - it's just an amazing piece.

Go get it already before the premiums start to rise again!
Old 10 December 2018, 10:57 PM   #15
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

The blnr will continue to rise. It’s a classic
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 11:23 PM   #16
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Well, we get on here and complain about how Rolex is at fault for this and that, but to be honest, you have to admit they have managed to introduce new models without negatively affecting the pricing of the old ones. As a matter of fact, most of the stuff that's discontinued has soared.

For the people saying it's going to tank, show me a Sub/GMT/Daytona that was discontinued that has tanked in recent years.

So, grab one if you like it. It's only going to go up and it won't tank. And if it does, what is 3k in the scheme of life anyway?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 11:46 PM   #17
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

If you have the means and are set on that particular watch, buy it. A couple of thousand dollars isn't worth settling for a watch that your heart isn't set on.

Nobody knows what the price of the BLNR will do in the future, and to be honest, that likely all depends on what Rolex does at Basel.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 11:57 PM   #18
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
The blnr is a fantastic watch. I always say the best time to buy is now. Who knows what the future will bring? But waiting just means you have less time to enjoy the watch. So go get one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 December 2018, 12:05 AM   #19
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Buy it. You won't even think about the money spent once it's done.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 12:08 AM   #20
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Just get it if you want it and are willing to potentially pay over MSRP or go on a wait list. If neither one of those things concern you, I wouldn't worry about the future cost of the item. I personally wouldn't pay over MSRP for any Rolex, but that has nothing to do with future value. I have plenty of watches I have purchased at close to MSRP that aren't worth that amount on the resale market. If you want it, get it.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 01:18 AM   #21
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Just get it if you want it and are willing to potentially pay over MSRP or go on a wait list. If neither one of those things concern you, I wouldn't worry about the future cost of the item. I personally wouldn't pay over MSRP for any Rolex, but that has nothing to do with future value. I have plenty of watches I have purchased at close to MSRP that aren't worth that amount on the resale market. If you want it, get it.
Good advice.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 01:20 AM   #22
ExPADIdiver
"TRF" Member

Glad that I always and still think it is an ugly watch. There have been plenty Rolex in this strange position where prices go crazy that I like...but this isn't one. Yuck.
ExPADIdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 01:34 AM   #23
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
If it's really discontinued the prices will go up regardless of if an updated model is released in 2019. Even if a new model comes out, we all know Rolex likes to trickle out their new models (look at the Pepsi and Daytona), so don't expect the average AD to receive more than 2-3 a year for the first couple of years.
Old 11 December 2018, 02:04 AM   #24
Lurizzle
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs
It stands on its own as an instant classic, regardless of what Rolex decides to do with it. You literally cant go wrong with he BLNR.
Lurizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 02:14 AM   #25
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
If it's really discontinued the prices will go up regardless of if an updated model is released in 2019. Even if a new model comes out, we all know Rolex likes to trickle out their new models (look at the Pepsi and Daytona), so don't expect the average AD to receive more than 2-3 a year for the first couple of years.
Exactly. There will be a ton of people flooding ADs, creating astronomical waitlists, all to get that latest, shiny new release. Even if that release is just a BLNR with updated movement and microscopically altered lugs.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 02:16 AM   #26
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Buy now and watch the value go up~
Old 11 December 2018, 02:18 AM   #27
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

You either love the blue/black or you hate it.

I will say for me personally, and another thread said it well, the blue/black looks much better in photos than it does in person. (Not to say it doesn't look good in person, but it's like a 10 in the photos for me, and only an 8 on the wrist).

So just make sure you're oogling in real life and not just in the photos. =)
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 02:52 AM   #28
Hands90
"TRF" Member

This and the Daytona are ugly.
Do ahead I'm ready for abusive comments in my direction.
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 03:07 AM   #29
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

It's not a great time to be a buyer for Rolex right now for certain. The latest "news" isn't exactly helping the BLNR aftermarket (which was already dragged by the SS situation now). My advice is if you want one, find one and buy now asap....I think it's going to appreciate thoroughly if I was a betting man. And yeah, I agree with you on the BLNR, it's a beautiful watch and one of the few maxi cases I own. It's a great color scheme and set to be a new classic IMO.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 03:38 AM   #30
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote