The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 August 2018, 08:18 AM   #1
mwasheikh
"TRF" Member

Trade for a 5167a

Hi all need some input for the people in the forum!

I have a complete 5167a in mint condition I wanted it forever and am still I’m love with it.....but boy that 15202or is pretty sweet. I have a guy interested in trading me. He wants me to trade a 5167a and an AP elephant (complete sealed) for his rose gold 15202 (blue dial boutique edition).

My conundrum is how difficult will it be to get rid of a 15202 in rose and is it worth the trade given how isane it’s become to get an aquanaut or a nautilus. I called the Vegas boutique and they told me there is a 5 year waiting list?

Thanks all for your input!

Best

MWA
mwasheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 08:27 AM   #2
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I’d make the trade. The 15202OR is spectacular. Not a fan of the ROO elephant. I think the main determinant is whether or not you want to see your aquanaut. I personally love the watch. However, I think the opportunity to get a full gold AP, and one has iconic as the 15202 doesn’t come very often.
Old 17 August 2018, 08:31 AM   #3
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
In a New York minute - and don’t look back.

15202 is one of my most favorite references — and the OR is - well....AMAZING.

You can wait a while - and add a stainless Nautilus down the road when the market cools off - and have two truly ICONIC references.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 08:34 AM   #4
Solicitor
"TRF" Member

If its 15202 it'll be the ST for me.

Also the full gold is a lot easier to source than the ST. I've never been a fan of the elephant either.

I won't do it!

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
Solicitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 08:34 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would keep the Aquanaut. Just too hard to replace. Personally, I do not think AP is in the same league as Patek.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 08:52 AM   #6
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwasheikh View Post

I have a complete 5167a in mint condition I wanted it forever and am still I’m love with it.....but boy that 15202or is pretty sweet. I have a guy interested in trading me. He wants me to trade a 5167a and an AP elephant (complete sealed) for his rose gold 15202 (blue dial boutique edition).

My conundrum is how difficult will it be to get rid of a 15202 in rose and is it worth the trade given how isane it’s become to get an aquanaut or a nautilus. I called the Vegas boutique and they told me there is a 5 year waiting list?

Best

MWA

So, this is an interesting question. Admittedly, the stainless steel PP watches are hard to come by at the moment but they’ve been around for forty years. I don’t particularly like them. And thus I have never owned one. But I have owned a jumbo. I have also owned Royal Oak offshores.

Historically, and I base this off of over 20 years of watch collecting, The aquanaut is thought of sort of the poor man’s version of the Nautilis. This is not to disparage anybody that owns one and loves it. It is the sportiest of the sports watches.

The 15202 is a whole different ball game. Horologically speaking it is in a class by itself. It is the model that started the entire luxury sports watch trend albeit in stainless steel. It is a sporty watch, not a sports watch. This has nothing to do with the fact that it is gold but more to do with the fact that the water resistance is lower and the caliber 2121 is not really designed to be robust. Don’t get me wrong, I wore mine every day and it did absolutely fine but the aquanaut is designed to be waterproof and being around as much as you’re willing to be around a Patek.

From investment and resale standpoint you are never going to go wrong with a Patek. AP is a different matter. It is a connoisseurs watch and while other watch idiot savants will look at you with admiration your resale will not be the same.

I would personally do the deal but you will have a hard time resourcing in the aquanaut and you also not easily sell the 15202.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 10:12 AM   #7
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitor View Post
If its 15202 it'll be the ST for me.

Also the full gold is a lot easier to source than the ST. I've never been a fan of the elephant either.

I won't do it!

Gotta agree with this. I think you would have a fairly easy time finding a 15202or when/if you wanted one. It's the steel one people are crazy over. And honestly, now with the msrp increase, the gray markup isn't terrible. We will have to see how the grays respond to the msrp hike however...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 10:29 AM   #8
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

the 67 and the jumbo OR would be a great combo!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:10 PM   #9
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I would keep the Aquanaut. Just too hard to replace. Personally, I do not think AP is in the same league as Patek.
Have to agree with Bob regarding to the watch & brand wise.....^^^.....

If, I'm in your shoes......

Never a fan of any Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore....

Having said that, I would sell or trade the AP 26470 aka elephant plus add cash for the AP 15202st and call it a day....

Those two will make a great pair like others has mention....

If you have to have a GOLD watch....

Value wise is not a bad trade.... I think you have the upper hand on this trade.....

The secondary market for the 5167 is about $25,000 plus and secondary market for the AP 26470 is around $20,000

VS

The secondary market for the AP 15202 rose gold is around $45,000 plus....

If you have to have a AP 15202 rose gold, then go for it......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:33 PM   #10
appa666
"TRF" Member

I would say do the trade.

15202OR is a great subsitute to 5711R IMHO. If you wanted a precious metal watch at begining then why not?
If you want another Aquant in your collection in the future you can even add a 5167R to mix up the game.
appa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:47 PM   #11
Solicitor
"TRF" Member

..also I didn't know that the 15202OR blue dial is a boutique edition?

Can anyone enlighten me?

I ask because the AP Dealer here in Manila Philippines is not a boutique so they told me that it is impossible for them to sell me a boutique edition 15400 blue dial and the sought after 15202 ST

Ps. They have the 15202 OR...

Old 17 August 2018, 01:12 PM   #12
KWSub
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
Quote:

Best

MWA
I personally wouldn’t do it.

The value of the trade seems to match up fairly well, but there is one major issue in my mind. The 5167 has a multi-year waiting list at this point, and the 15202or is readily a available. I just tried a 15202or on at an AD recently and it’s exquisite. But it had either been there for a while or they had already gotten another one since my previous visit. If you like the 5167, and I love mine, are you willing to give it up knowing you may not be able to acquire a new one so easily?
KWSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 01:29 PM   #13
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitor View Post
..also I didn't know that the 15202OR blue dial is a boutique edition?

Can anyone enlighten me?

I ask because the AP Dealer here in Manila Philippines is not a boutique so they told me that it is impossible for them to sell me a boutique edition 15400 blue dial and the sought after 15202 ST

Ps. They have the 15202 OR...

No, the 15202OR is not a boutique exclusive....

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa...-by=collection

...^^^... Click the above link to see the Audemars Piguet boutique exclusive models..^^^..

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 01:31 PM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I veto it.

The 5167 you will not want to buy back at market rate down the road believe me.

If you can swing the trade with just the elephant then yeah go for it.
Old 17 August 2018, 01:43 PM   #15
Solicitor
"TRF" Member

I thought so. I was confused as the OP said it was a boutique only edition.

Thanks for the clarification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
No, the 15202OR is not a boutique exclusive....

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa...-by=collection

...^^^... Click the above link to see the Audemars Piguet boutique exclusive models..^^^..

Old 17 August 2018, 01:55 PM   #16
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

I'd keep the 5167.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 09:22 PM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Hard not to leverage the 67 to get the 202OR, but make sure you are getting full market value for it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 09:36 PM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Best

MWA
i wouldn't and every AD has one. Its not a boutique exclusive. My AD has had one for months and cant seem to sell it. Nice watch though.

Its an important distinction because boutique only means no to little discount, not the case with the RG 15202
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 11:04 PM   #19
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

The issue with these “in demand” pieces at premiums is it’s so enticing to trade up to monetize the pentup gains. BUT the double edge sword is if you make a wrong move (I have yet to figure out beforehand that I’m making a wrong move.....) you likely can’t undo your mistake. It’s just too hard locating these watches again or you only have so many relationships. So be very careful. I’d probably hang on to the aqua.

I’m debating moving some of my best ones for the 5170 but their values are so strong and the 5170p likely isn’t. It may be destroying too much value that I’m not (yet) prepared to make.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:51 AM   #20
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Seems like the AP is pretty attainable below MSRP. If you're concerned with unloading it that would be a small factor to me. An Aquanaut is probably one of the most liquidatable watches over 20k on the market.

But if you don't wear you're 5167 and want to make the trade then go for it. Variety is wonderful.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:59 AM   #21
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
If you really like a full rose gold watch, I will get the 5711/1r instead of the 15202or. It is better looking IMO and better still, retains value very well.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:12 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
The issue with these “in demand” pieces at premiums is it’s so enticing to trade up to monetize the pentup gains. BUT the double edge sword is if you make a wrong move (I have yet to figure out beforehand that I’m making a wrong move.....) you likely can’t undo your mistake. It’s just too hard locating these watches again or you only have so many relationships. So be very careful. I’d probably hang on to the aqua.

I’m debating moving some of my best ones for the 5170 but their values are so strong and the 5170p likely isn’t. It may be destroying too much value that I’m not (yet) prepared to make.
We're going to need a watch portfolio management algo at this rate...
Old 18 August 2018, 01:13 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
If you really like a full rose gold watch, I will get the 5711/1r instead of the 15202or. It is better looking IMO and better still, retains value very well.
Old 18 August 2018, 02:32 AM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
We're going to need a watch portfolio management algo at this rate...
The algo is buy SS Patek and Rolex.
Old 20 August 2018, 09:38 AM   #25
mwasheikh
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much ALL! Your input has really changed my decision I was going to pull the trigger however, I am fortunate to have a 15202 ST in my collection which I will never sell. I am really turned off by big watches after getting my 5167a. I am a real PP and AP fan boy now. I wanted to sell my AP elephant because it’s simply too big! So decision is to get rid of the AP elephant and aquire myself a S/S sports watch. The AP rose has a particular allure but wearing it everyday is not practical so I’ll hold on to my PP and 15202 in ST and unload my less worn pieces!

Cheers to you all this is why I love bing a WIS it’s because I get to connect with such cool people like you all.

Wear in good health everyone and CHEERS AGAIN!
mwasheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2018, 11:22 AM   #26
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Great and wise decision !! :-)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote