The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 May 2017, 05:56 PM   #1
HKS724
Banned

My First Rolex! 3 Considerations

Hi All,

I am new to this forum but have been lurking around for quite some time. I recently relocated to a new country for work and it's a new beginning in many respects for me. I thought what would be better than to celebrate with my first ever Rolex!

About me: I am 29 year-old working professional. I am an old soul at heart; I love doing things with my hands and appreciate fine craftsmanship. I like to cook, play (bad) guitar, snowboard, a good whiskey, making cocktails.

I am looking for something vintage (or has staying power), somewhat understated but aesthetically pleasing, and hold its value well. Below are the three considerations and the current pros and cons I am weighing. If someone could advise on what I should be spending on these respective models, that would be greatly appreciate as well.

My budget: $7,000 max and looking for a watch w/ box & papers. Also, if anyone can suggest any other closer alternatives, that would be greatly appreciated.

#1 GMT Master Black Dial ref 1675
Pros:
- Vintage, rich history
- Two time zones
- Cyclops
Cons:
- Old, functionality issues
- Hard to find good example, with all original parts

#2 GMT Master II Black Dial 16710
Pros:
- modern and updated, less risk of functional issues
- Two time zones
- Cyclops
- Sapphire crystal
Cons:
- Not vintage
- Not enough character!

#3 Sea Dweller 16600
Pros:
- modern and updated, less risk of functional issues
- Thick, conventional look,
- deep water resistance rating
- Sapphire crystal
Cons:
- not vintage
- potentially overheated market
HKS724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 06:10 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Welcome to the forum regarding the 16710 hundreds of those around with all original parts.But thats a good choice as the bezel inserts are easy to change and cost around $75 each, get all 3 inserts then have 3 different watches for little money.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 06:19 PM   #3
HKS724
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Welcome to the forum regarding the 16710 hundreds of those around with all original parts.But thats a good choice as the bezel inserts are easy to change and cost around $75 each, get all 3 inserts then have 3 different watches for little money.
Thank you! What do you reckon is good value for this currently?
Old 15 May 2017, 06:26 PM   #4
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Consider asking this in the vintage section. The responses will be more relevant to your question.
Old 15 May 2017, 06:52 PM   #5
Ryuden
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Go with #2. It's not a vintage but its neo-vintage. And like Padi said, get all 3 insert, an oyster band PLUS jubilee band, you get a whole lot of choices from just ONE watch.

Ryuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 09:07 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome and good luck on your hunt for the right watch. I would let the vintage piece go as it is a mine field in the market and a lot of the items have issues with being original, working, servicing and being older. You said you were an old soul so here is one for you. Why not buy a modern Rolex that appeals to you. Either new or slightly pre-owned but complete with box, papers and still under warranty. Let that watch make the journey with you as you move forward in your life. It will have the marks and scars of a well lived life and you will be doing it together. I like the Submariner-C ND, 114060. Clean dial, modern case and lume and best of all the glidelock clasp. You can get one new from one of our Trusted Sellers for $6300-6500 or slightly preowned for around $6000. Go check it out. Leave the vintage to people that know and also people with deep enough pockets to make it right.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 09:19 PM   #7
HKS724
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Welcome and good luck on your hunt for the right watch. I would let the vintage piece go as it is a mine field in the market and a lot of the items have issues with being original, working, servicing and being older. You said you were an old soul so here is one for you. Why not buy a modern Rolex that appeals to you. Either new or slightly pre-owned but complete with box, papers and still under warranty. Let that watch make the journey with you as you move forward in your life. It will have the marks and scars of a well lived life and you will be doing it together. I like the Submariner-C ND, 114060. Clean dial, modern case and lume and best of all the glidelock clasp. You can get one new from one of our Trusted Sellers for $6300-6500 or slightly preowned for around $6000. Go check it out. Leave the vintage to people that know and also people with deep enough pockets to make it right.
Solid advice, thank you for the recommendation.
Old 15 May 2017, 09:38 PM   #8
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
OP, what do you mean "functionality issues"? The 4-digit GMT has no such issues, and RSC still services them just fine with "all original parts". The main problem with this watch is the absence of rapid date, which means you have to turn the crown until your thumb and index finger hurt in order to advance the date a few days forward! That being said, a nicely preserved example will burn a bigger hole in your pocket than the 5-digit 16710 (which is neo-vintage as Ryuden mentioned) and I assure you, it does have a character ;) Sea-dweller, I don't know. Am not a fan because of the thickness.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 12:33 AM   #9
HKS724
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
OP, what do you mean "functionality issues"? The 4-digit GMT has no such issues, and RSC still services them just fine with "all original parts". The main problem with this watch is the absence of rapid date, which means you have to turn the crown until your thumb and index finger hurt in order to advance the date a few days forward! That being said, a nicely preserved example will burn a bigger hole in your pocket than the 5-digit 16710 (which is neo-vintage as Ryuden mentioned) and I assure you, it does have a character ;) Sea-dweller, I don't know. Am not a fan because of the thickness.
Thank you so much! I think I am leaning towards a 16710. Where might one go exploring for a good example? I have been looking on Bob's Watches among other websites.

Also, any insights on holes vs no holes? I see myself wanting to put on a nato strap at some point. Would holes be more conducive?
Old 16 May 2017, 12:39 AM   #10
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
The main problem with this watch is the absence of rapid date, which means you have to turn the crown until your thumb and index finger hurt
Agree about lack of quickset being a pain on 1675.

OP, why not consider the 16750? Slightly newer, but still acrylic crystal. Or a 16700, which has sapphire but is also still a GMT-Master (not GMT-Master II). You can easily get any of those for your budget.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 12:45 AM   #11
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS724 View Post
Thank you so much! I think I am leaning towards a 16710. Where might one go exploring for a good example? I have been looking on Bob's Watches among other websites.

Also, any insights on holes vs no holes? I see myself wanting to put on a nato strap at some point. Would holes be more conducive?
Yes, a lack of holes does make it easier to change straps, but it's still doable without them.

Anyway, just noticed you're in Boston. Paul Duggan (in the jewelry district) has quite a few GMT's for sale right now fyi.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 12:55 AM   #12
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Old 16 May 2017, 01:06 PM   #13
HKS724
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Yes, a lack of holes does make it easier to change straps, but it's still doable without them.

Anyway, just noticed you're in Boston. Paul Duggan (in the jewelry district) has quite a few GMT's for sale right now fyi.
Thanks Rob! Have you bought from him before? I try to steer clear from the Jewelry district to be honest.