The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 August 2018, 02:09 AM   #1
KappyK
"TRF" Member

Got my first watch and it is a Rolex.. Need Advice

Hi,
So let me come out and say it, I do not wear a watch currently. But have been feeling that I should start... I am 40 and went big to buy a new Rolex DJ41 Green/Slate Roman with two-tone gold. Told you I went big :)

It is on its way to me and I should have it by next week. Thank you to this forum for helping me lurk and get a lot of education on the

Few basic questions as I am a complete novice

1) Things to do when I get my watch.. Do I need to set the time, wind it up after removing the tags?

2) I only plan to wear the watch on weekends or occasionally. is that bad for the accuracy of the watch? Anything I should do differently than someone who wears the watch every day?

3) I plan to add this to my home insurance, do I need to do something more for security? Where do you all keep your watch in the house? Special watch case or safety box which I have not thought about?

That is it for now, I have mixed feelings since this is an expensive buy for me and I am not used to wearing a watch in general. But excited to own something special for years to come.

Thank you all. Sorry for the amateur questions, but could not find information on the forum about this.
KappyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 01:00 PM   #2
iwenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smorgasbord
First of all, congratulations on your watch! Wear it in good health

Now, to your questions:

1) You will need to wind it and set the time (and date) when you get the piece. It's possible it might be ticking away just from movement during shipping, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a complete wind. After you unscrew the crown, 40 complete turns should do the trick. I don't have a DJ, so I'll advise you to enjoy reading the owner's manual or continue to peruse the forum, but after you wind it pull the crown out farther to set the time and date. When you're done, just remember to push the crown back in and screw it down so you don't have any problems with water.

2) I believe the DJ41 has a 70 hour power reserve, so you've got some leeway, but if you only wear the watch on weekends or occasionally, it very well may stop between wearings. Personally, and you may feel this way once you put it on, I would recommend you just wear it for everything and enjoy it! These watches were meant to be worn! While you can still be careful, you really can wear your Rolex for pretty much anything you're doing. If you're set on only wearing it occasionally (shaaaaaame), just be prepared to wind and set it when you put it on.

3) I have my watches insured via Jewelers' Mutual, so I can't help too much. But I can say that I get a discount for storing my pieces in a safe when I'm not using them.

In sum: congratulations, wear the hell out of your watch, make some memories with it, and welcome!
Old 16 August 2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
1) Yes, wind it and set the time.

2) Yes, you will need to wind it up after you leave it unused for a while. I would suggest wearing your watch every day.

3) Discuss this with your insurance provider. You should be able to add your watch for a small extra charge.

4) Enjoy your watch!
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 01:14 PM   #4
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Congratulations!

If you have a good insurer, like USAA, you will be able to add watch coverage (theft, loss, accidental damage) for less than 1% of the value.

I hope that once you get the watch you will wear it more than a few times a week. You just might find it becoming a daily wearer!
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 01:16 PM   #5
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
You came in BIG!

I am looking forward to seeing pix of your gem!

Wear it early and often! Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:51 AM   #6
KappyK
"TRF" Member

Dj41

Thank you iwenger , Seibei and No SUBctitute

I will follow the 40 wind approach when i get it. A local AD also shared the same with me.

I don't believe I am concerned about the Wear & tear (hopefully not) with wearing it more often. I am just not sure if i will be able to wear it around with too many eyeballs on it. I do want to introduce the fact that i wear a rolex... slowly to my world around. If that makes sense :)
Also, that I myself need to feel comfortable wearing a watch in general

Thank you for the advice, i will check my insurance.

Do you think i should store it in the Rolex box at home? What kind of cases would you suggest otherwise? Also, what is a good small safe to buy, in case you have some recommendations.

One last questions for now, do you keep all the stickers which come with a new watch in the same rolex box? or should i be throwing them out.

Thanks
Will post pictures, once i have the watch
Old 17 August 2018, 01:15 AM   #7
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by KappyK View Post
Told you I went big :)

Thank you to this forum for helping me lurk and get a lot of education on the

Few basic questions as I am a complete novice

1) Things to do when I get my watch.. Do I need to set the time, wind it up after removing the tags?

3) I plan to add this to my home insurance, do I need to do something more for security? Where do you all keep your watch in the house? Special watch case or safety box which I have not thought about?

That is it for now, I have mixed feelings..............

Thank you all. Sorry for the amateur questions, but could not find information on the forum about this.

FIRST:
A great starting place to get information in real time is your AD.

SECOND: There is never enough security for valuables, so invest in whatever you can afford. I prefer the safety deposit box at the Bank. While not as practical as something local, it provides that extra layer of reassurance.

Also be street wise.

Enjoy your watch.
Old 17 August 2018, 03:30 AM   #8
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

post pictures once you have it !!

you already have all your answers now but I will repeat what others have said, wear it, wear it and just wear it !! it is beauty, you should be proud to look at it all the time
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 03:34 AM   #9
KappyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtecko View Post
post pictures once you have it !!

you already have all your answers now but I will repeat what others have said, wear it, wear it and just wear it !! it is beauty, you should be proud to look at it all the time
Awesome !!! Thank you.. i look forward to changing my approach
Old 17 August 2018, 03:35 AM   #10
KappyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_KNIGHT View Post

FIRST:
A great starting place to get information in real time is your AD.

SECOND: There is never enough security for valuables, so invest in whatever you can afford. I prefer the safety deposit box at the Bank. While not as practical as something local, it provides that extra layer of reassurance.

Also be street wise.

Enjoy your watch.
Thank you :). I plan to use the bank for any long term or when i am out of the country kinda storage
Old 17 August 2018, 06:18 AM   #11
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
I recently received a DJ41 Two Tone with the Champagne dial from my lovely wife, for my 40th B-day also!

I insured mine with Jeweler's Mutual (it was about $180 a year) and I wear it every day.
I had to leave it at home today, cause I'm going to a rowdy concert tonight straight after work...I REALLY miss having it on.

I know what you mean abou tit being flashy. It is a weird feeling at first, wearing $12K on your wrist. But women wear rings worth much more all the time. Many people wear watches, and after a while, you'll see that very few people even notice.

If they do notice, it's just a dog-like reaction to the shiny bits.

Happy birthday, and enjoy that thing. I really love mine.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote