The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2018, 12:09 PM   #31
runner9
Banned

Watch: A few
It's a 3 out of 10, happens only on rare occasions.
runner9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 05:48 AM   #32
skinnydaddy
"TRF" Member

A troll post? Really? I'm trying to find my Daytona, this is why I listed the serial number. Yes, SS, white face with black dials (zenith movement) today it's worth $25K.

Can't ever hurt to try right.

Last edited by skinnydaddy; 15 August 2018 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: typo
skinnydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 01:23 PM   #33
skinnydaddy
"TRF" Member

LOL Still looking.
skinnydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 02:36 PM   #34
FlGreenie
Banned

Here’s my very recent story of buying a stolen Rolex. I located a Daytona 116520 (pre ceramic bezel) via Chronos. Price was in the ballpark for the year and quality, there were no papers. I made the deal, received the watch and as is my practice, took it to my AD upon receipt to have them open it and check the movement. All checked out at the surface level only the crystal did not have the etching of the crown under the glass at the 6, yet the movement checked out. I decided to sent it into Rolex to have an authentic crystal put on. That’s when the call came from Rolex legal. The watch had been reported stolen and the crooks had altered the serial number on the rehaut. But Rolex checked the serial number and determined it didn’t exist and then compared it to the movement; I now learned that the serial number is also engraved on the movement of each watch. So, while the watch was authentic, it was ‘hot’. Rolex put me in contact with the real owner. I’m in South Florida and the watch was stolen in LA. Rolex explained that they would retain the watch until any dispute over who ‘owned’ the watch was resolved. I told the real owner that I did not want it as it was rightfully his, and then I went to work on the jewelry store. After a few rounds of increasing threats, I received a full refund of my money, and now the watch is heading back to LA. Lesson learned: I will never buy another Rolex without the full papers and matching serials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlGreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 02:49 PM   #35
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogbooker View Post
Has anyone ever had any success recovering a stolen rolex?

This one ended well!!! Read the thread it was quite an ordeal!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=397832

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:22 AM   #36
bear poo
"TRF" Member

I had one stolen back in 2005. I got a police report. Informed Rolex who put my watch on some list. The watch was sold to some pawn shop. And then sold to another and so on. It was eventually sold to some guy who took it to the service center to get it authenticated. Rolex didn’t give it back to him. Mailed it to me. The guy (I called him to try to figure out what happened) said he got a refund from the shop. So that’s good.
bear poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2021, 02:42 PM   #37
pmac80
"TRF" Member

Stolen Rolex

My watch was stolen a few years ago and it showed up for service last year. I have all original documents of ownership; including police report. Rolex will not return the watch. Has me come to an agreement with 2nd party that is also claiming ownership, yet has no real proof. Any advice how to proceed?
pmac80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2021, 02:57 PM   #38
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogbooker View Post
Has anyone ever had any success recovering a stolen rolex?

Paul Thorpe got lucky ... Rolex told him that they found his long lost GMT Master. However, they have yet to return it to him.

So, even if someone does take your lost Rolex in for service and it has been documented appropriately as stolen and Rolex recovers the watch and informs you that they recovered your watch, it appears you may never see it again.

https://youtu.be/AtM___NWMcU

https://youtu.be/-wdew3VKers

https://youtu.be/PavRXArk0m0
SS Oyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 07:23 AM   #39
horohollis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Orient Ray Diver
If lost or stolen, report all details and file replacement claim with insurance.

horohollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 08:50 AM   #40
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnleftgofast View Post
This is the right way to think about it, unfortunately.

Won’t bring back the old watch and the memories, but you will get a shiny new one as a consolation prize with which to make new memories.
Try getting a blue sky dweller again from an AD

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 10:40 AM   #41
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
You cant report any watch stolen without an official police report right? Whats stopping some idiot from calling up any Rolex RSC and reporting a serial they saw on the net or from someone and saying its stolen.

There needs to be some safe measures for fraud and from people just bring pricks.
Yes. An official Police Report is required by Rolex to enter it as a genuinely stolen watch.
Cuts out what you mentioned, and also assists with any insurance claim.
Proof of provenance (e.g. you have the sales receipt with s/n, or dated photo of the watch showing s/n) is a good thing to have in your records (not stored with the watch.)

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 11:00 AM   #42
axelbrass
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlGreenie View Post
Here’s my very recent story of buying a stolen Rolex. I located a Daytona 116520 (pre ceramic bezel) via Chronos. Price was in the ballpark for the year and quality, there were no papers. I made the deal, received the watch and as is my practice, took it to my AD upon receipt to have them open it and check the movement. All checked out at the surface level only the crystal did not have the etching of the crown under the glass at the 6, yet the movement checked out. I decided to sent it into Rolex to have an authentic crystal put on. That’s when the call came from Rolex legal. The watch had been reported stolen and the crooks had altered the serial number on the rehaut. But Rolex checked the serial number and determined it didn’t exist and then compared it to the movement; I now learned that the serial number is also engraved on the movement of each watch. So, while the watch was authentic, it was ‘hot’. Rolex put me in contact with the real owner. I’m in South Florida and the watch was stolen in LA. Rolex explained that they would retain the watch until any dispute over who ‘owned’ the watch was resolved. I told the real owner that I did not want it as it was rightfully his, and then I went to work on the jewelry store. After a few rounds of increasing threats, I received a full refund of my money, and now the watch is heading back to LA. Lesson learned: I will never buy another Rolex without the full papers and matching serials

Have to say that was really standup of you to return the watch.
axelbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 11:54 AM   #43
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac80 View Post
My watch was stolen a few years ago and it showed up for service last year. I have all original documents of ownership; including police report. Rolex will not return the watch. Has me come to an agreement with 2nd party that is also claiming ownership, yet has no real proof. Any advice how to proceed?

Get a lawyer, you will need her. Rolex isn’t the arbiter - you will be filing papers against the other guy in his jurisdiction. Also you’ll need the cooperation of detectives in the jurisdiction where you filed the theft report. At least you have Rolex holding the watch.

1. Did you accept insurance reimbursement for the loss?

2. If so, they own the watch (read your policy)

3. If not, contact them to see if your policy covers “loss recovery” costs.

I hope for success in your quest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 12:09 PM   #44
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Paul Thorpe got lucky ... Rolex told him that they found his long lost GMT Master. However, they have yet to return it to him.

So, even if someone does take your lost Rolex in for service and it has been documented appropriately as stolen and Rolex recovers the watch and informs you that they recovered your watch, it appears you may never see it again.

His rant doesn’t hold water. Rolex simply acts as a Good Samaritan in these recoveries - they have no role in adjudicating the theft case.

I unfortunately lost 4 Rolex watches in a costly burglary in 2017. Great detective work by local authorities recovered one within 2 weeks - before it was fenced. Not so lucky with the rest. They were properly filed on the Rolex theft list.

I spent the time with their manager learning what their role would be upon and RSC recovery, my role, and my responsibilities to regain ownership.

It is clear that guy ranting on YT did none of the above.

There is one way you may never get it back from Rolex - if your insurance company replaced it or provided reimbursement. In that case, they have a prior claim on your watch.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 07:26 PM   #45
roman sh
"TRF" Member

Z424621

Rolex Day Date 36mm stolen serial number Z424621
roman sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 07:40 PM   #46
roman sh
"TRF" Member

Z424621

Rolex Day Date 36mm stolen serial number Z424621
The watch was reg on 'The Watch Reg', 'Rolex database', 'Police database'
I would be grateful for any help.
I monitor 'Sotheby's', 'Witchfinder' and other dealers.
roman sh is offline   Reply With Quote