The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2016, 10:27 PM   #1
karlswa
"TRF" Member

Icon2 Rolex Oyster Perpetual Review - Opinions and info?

I just joined this forum as I am looking to buy my first ever rolex.

I already own a Tudor 74033 oyster prince, but I am looking to take it to the next level, hopefully with a Rolex Oyster Perpetual!

I read this review on the oyster perpetual which really made me want to get that exact model - Rolex Oyster Perpetual Review

What do you guys think of this watch? Is it a good first Rolex, or should I look at something else instead eg vintage? Any info & opinions will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
karlswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2016, 12:42 AM   #2
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
It really is fantastic. I own one and I ended up selling my GMT Master. You really can't find a more distilled rolex in a modern size. A bunch of people will come along slow me and say "oh get an Explorer" or "get this or that", they always do.

Just know the OP39 114300 is as good as they say it is. I could have had anything in the dealer case, stainless of course, and I picked this.
Old 16 October 2016, 12:44 AM   #3
karlswa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
It really is fantastic. I own one and I ended up selling my GMT Master. You really can't find a more distilled rolex in a modern size. A bunch of people will come along slow me and say "oh get an Explorer" or "get this or that", they always do.

Just know the OP39 114300 is as good as they say it is. I could have had anything in the dealer case, stainless of course, and I picked this.
Thanks for the reply! Ok, great I am really considering getting it :)
Old 16 October 2016, 12:49 AM   #4
McDusty
"TRF" Member

OPs are great casual/smart-causal/smart wears depending on the dial chosen. I would say the red grape definitely leans more to the smart side whereas the blue/rhodium can dress down better (but still dress up fine)

They are generally a great everyday watch and are also more modern/youthful than some other Rolex models. I like the accent colours myself. Of course, they lack a date so you need to decide if that is important to you.

I have a 36 OP. I liked the OP 39 Rhodium, but it sat a little too large on my small wrist.
McDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2016, 01:28 AM   #5
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Review I wrote

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ight=114300%A0
Old 16 October 2016, 01:40 AM   #6
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Of course it's a good watch, it has a solid, reliable movement, durable case and the new bracelet and clasp, should be a terrific watch for many years of service. I'm one of those who favors the Explorer, not the newest model but the so called 'short hands', which have never been an issue for me, and I like the white gold 3-6-9 numerals.
The dial choices on the 39mm OP just don't do it for me.
Old 16 October 2016, 10:43 AM   #7
DrySub
"TRF" Member

I've got two of them. Forget Rolex for a minute, these watches stand out in the market of all watches for their elegant style and quality.

Rugged, reliable, precise -- you get everything that's good about a modern Rolex. They're a perfect size, too. The more you own them, the more you appreciate all the little details they got right. Style without bling, basically.

You could buy one of these and never need another watch, much less a Rolex.
DrySub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2016, 10:53 AM   #8
EDL7
"TRF" Member

I got my 34mm Olive green OP 6 mos ago..and it is on my wrist every day..my 1st Rolex and the best watch I've ever owned. Just a great watch in so many ways..might be the only one you will ever need..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2016, 11:12 AM   #9
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlswa View Post

I already own a Tudor 74033 oyster prince, but I am looking to take it to the next level, hopefully with a Rolex Oyster Perpetual!

I read this review on the oyster perpetual which really made me want to get that exact model - Rolex Oyster Perpetual Review

What do you guys think of this watch? Is it a good first Rolex, or should I look at something else instead eg vintage? Any info & opinions will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Too large of a size for me. For an OP, Explorer, or DJ, I prefer 36mm size.
In the 36mm I think Rolex current line includes 4 dial choices ; grey, white grape, red grape (all double sticks). Also, on its website Rolex is still showing the blue 3-6-9 dial. So , in 36mm, 4 dial choices.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2016, 11:35 AM   #10
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
I wear my steel dial OP34 every day. Great watch. Plus, it's technically an Air King.
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2016, 01:38 PM   #11
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I have a 36mm OP. They don't really get nearly enough respect as they deserve considering they started it all off. Went to the peak of Everest before the Explorer was even thought of. I love the new 39mm ones. Great watches. As I've got a 36, I'm all set. I just can speak highly enough of the series.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 07:40 AM   #12
karlswa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I have a 36mm OP. They don't really get nearly enough respect as they deserve considering they started it all off. Went to the peak of Everest before the Explorer was even thought of. I love the new 39mm ones. Great watches. As I've got a 36, I'm all set. I just can speak highly enough of the series.

That is an awesome looking watch!
Old 17 October 2016, 12:35 PM   #13
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
I got my 34mm Olive green OP 6 mos ago..and it is on my wrist every day..my 1st Rolex and the best watch I've ever owned. Just a great watch in so many ways..might be the only one you will ever need..
I like the 34mm olive stick dial OP.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 09:35 AM   #14
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Quote:
. . . I already own a Tudor 74033 oyster prince . . .
I'm going to be the contrarian here.

I really like my 114300DR. I mean really! But I own an SDc as my 24/7 EDC. The OP is my "light duty" dress up watch.

With the Tudor you already own a nice looking dress watch. I would look for a pre-owned tool watch like a Submariner or GMT from one of the trusted sellers.

Go tool, young man!

You really need to be, not seem to be.

El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 09:55 AM   #15
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I'd get a used Sub.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 09:59 AM   #16
Loganreese
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:

Thanks in advance
Hey,
An oyster perpetual is an excellent watch for anyone, especially one who is just getting a Rolex. I have a gold oyster perpetual that I wear almost everyday. As long as you have the money, I would get it. I got my first Rolex when I was 14 and I saved up my money.

Good luck,
Logan
Loganreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 04:11 PM   #17
Encrypt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Oyster Date
i wear a 34mm my wrist is only 5.7in
Encrypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 02:30 AM   #18
darstadlydarcey
"TRF" Member

Icon14 Black dial

I have just bought one of the new black dials which were "released" at Baselworld 2018 (along with the white dial version). I think the black is classic Rolex and classy. The fact the lume is on all of the indices on these versions also helps legibility ( for me at least). Am very impressed with its comfort and versatility. It is my every day watch which also works well in all but the most formal occasions.

Definitely a keeper for me.
darstadlydarcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 02:37 AM   #19
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
I made up my mind to purchase one this week. I tried on the new black face, along with an Explorer and an Air King. I ended up with the AK but the OP is a great watch and a great buy for the price! DAVIDSW should still have a brand new one in stock, that is where I tried it on.
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote