The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2017, 01:17 AM   #31
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Heed the advice given on this thread...pass on this one. I certainly wouldn't give that for the model shown. Check out whats available from the Trusted Sellers on this board !! You'll be much happier in the long run that you did !!
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:25 AM   #32
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Sounds like you need to shop around and do a little more homework before buying.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:29 AM   #33
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Take time

I recommend from experience you take your time. If you buy today or 6 months from today it makes no difference. Trusted sellers, ADs, jewelry shops it is all there. Enjoy the journey.
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 02:18 AM   #34
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Sounds like you need to shop around and do a little more homework before buying.
x2. Good luck,
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 03:21 AM   #35
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
For those saying "you could get a new one for a few hundred dollars more", that's not necessarily relevant if he has decided he wants the 14060/m over the 114060. Consider that a mint condition, full set, F/D/Z serial 16710 will run you close to $8k. Well, you could get a new GMT for LESS than that 10-year old example. That doesn't mean the new GMT is the better choice. That said, I think the OP's example is priced about $1000 too high.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 03:44 AM   #36
run23
"TRF" Member

You can get a newer two line sub for between $4,500-$5,000 with box and papers, so I think you are overpaying. But, if it is a trusted seller like David SW then the piece of mind may be worth it.

And, don't just buy the newer ceramic Sub because people tell you it's better-- I guess it technically is, but it's just a different watch. I prefer the old 14060 subs, even if the ceramics were the same price.

Spend more time browsing and learning about the watch-- deals on the newer and older Subs pop up all the time, so don't worry about missing a specific deal. After a week or so you will know what a good price is, the differences between the various reference #s etc. Obsessing before buying is half the fun!
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 03:48 AM   #37
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

OP, you have great taste. The 2 liner 14060 is one of my favorite watches from the 5 digit era and in general as well. Just so simple, classy, refined, and incredibly versatile. I do think the price is a a bit on the high side but it looks like a pretty decent example to me.....nothing on the watch that screams red lights but for that kind of $$, you should be able to do an unpolished full set. Previous posters have given you great advice and I think you'd be wise to take them....especially consulting some top trusted sellers here and reviewing their inventory. Enjoy in good health when you do pick up the watch.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 03:57 AM   #38
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Lots of good advice here, but I'm a bit of a contrarian. First, yes, Bob's Watches is generally considered a legit dealer, as far as I know.

Second, I vote buying used. If you don't like it, you can sell it and take less of a hit than buying new. So what if your first Rolex isn't new? It's not like your first love, it's just a watch.

Third, my first Rolex was a used Submariner 14060M and I liked it fine, but I didn't care for the bracelet. After I bought a newer sub with the newer style bracelet, I couldn't go back, so I sold the 14060M (for about what I paid for it) and bought a used 114060 (that's the ceramic Submariner) for around $6000, which is what it is still worth today.

See the advantages to buying used?

That said, lots of people prefer the older style, the lighter stamped bracelet, and the patina of the old watches. It's whatever you want. Please go to the store and try some on.

As for discounts, no, you're not going to get 17% off, that's nutty, the exception not the rule. 10% probably, that's a good target from a dealer.

Best of luck. Enjoy the chase.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 04:08 AM   #39
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post

For $300 more DavidSW's site is listing a 3-year 114060 ceramic model. For about $1000 more he's listing a brand new one with stickers. I personally prefer the 6 digit models because to me, they feel much more solid and I really like the ceramic bezel. However, many like the older model.
****** this!! x 100 ******
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 12:16 PM   #40
09cs
"TRF" Member

I want to thank everyone for their responses! I'm going to do more research on the 14060 vs the 114060 and try and go to an AD or boutique to try it on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
OP, you have great taste. The 2 liner 14060 is one of my favorite watches from the 5 digit era and in general as well. Just so simple, classy, refined, and incredibly versatile. I do think the price is a a bit on the high side but it looks like a pretty decent example to me.....nothing on the watch that screams red lights but for that kind of $$, you should be able to do an unpolished full set. Previous posters have given you great advice and I think you'd be wise to take them....especially consulting some top trusted sellers here and reviewing their inventory. Enjoy in good health when you do pick up the watch.
I've found a wide range of prices on them online, from about 4900-5700, so not sure where to start with what is a good price or over price.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by unpolished full set?
09cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:14 PM   #41
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by run23 View Post
You can get a newer two line sub for between $4,500-$5,000 with box and papers, so I think you are overpaying. But, if it is a trusted seller like David SW then the piece of mind may be worth it.

And, don't just buy the newer ceramic Sub because people tell you it's better-- I guess it technically is, but it's just a different watch. I prefer the old 14060 subs, even if the ceramics were the same price.

Spend more time browsing and learning about the watch-- deals on the newer and older Subs pop up all the time, so don't worry about missing a specific deal. After a week or so you will know what a good price is, the differences between the various reference #s etc. Obsessing before buying is half the fun!
Good post.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:19 PM   #42
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09cs View Post
Wow, definitely didn't know that! 17%?! If I can swing that, it brings a new one within $600 of this one! Any tips to talk em down?!
- Go to a smaller town AD if possible. Going to one in the city, I get no discount. Go to one an hour and a half out, I get 17%. Customer volume matters.

- Do research and make sure you know your stuff. Try and remember keywords so you show that you know what you're talking about. Cerachrome bezel, Triplock crown, Glidelock Bracelet.

- If they know you're serious, you'd be surprised at what the salesman you choose will do to make the sale. Stand your ground and if you're not satisfied, simply don't buy. Shop around.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:26 PM   #43
09cs
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the responses, I'm going to be doing more research on the 14060 vs. m vs 114060

I will admit, I am liking learning about the small differences!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
What is an unpolished full set?
Old 13 May 2017, 01:27 PM   #44
09cs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaTurtle View Post
- Go to a smaller town AD if possible. Going to one in the city, I get no discount. Go to one an hour and a half out, I get 17%. Customer volume matters.

- Do research and make sure you know your stuff. Try and remember keywords so you show that you know what you're talking about. Cerachrome bezel, Triplock crown, Glidelock Bracelet.

- If they know you're serious, you'd be surprised at what the salesman you choose will do to make the sale. Stand your ground and if you're not satisfied, simply don't buy. Shop around.
Thanks for the tips! I'm in Los Angeles, so sure I have plenty around!

Edit: I've made some other posts on this thread, but those have to be approved by a mod for some reason
Old 13 May 2017, 01:55 PM   #45
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Hi everyone! So I may be buying my first Rolex and would love some advice! It is a Submariner (standard black one, no date)

It is from a very trusted dealer by me, it is a 99-00 model, and is asking for $5700. I'm not sure where to start with this so I'll do my best
  • Price? Is this a good price for a 17-18 year old sub?
    What to look for when seeing it in person?
    Does box/papers/tag affect price? I would like to have all that, or at least the box
    Lume- I'm assuming check to make sure it all lights up

Anything else to look for?

Thanks in advance!
Not sure if you are against the new ceramic Submariner but I bought one in mint condition on these forums for $5,500 (3 years old.) So as far as the price goes you could find one with a full set from one of the sellers here for a better price. That said the price he's asking isn't outlandish by any means, I just think you could do better. Congrats in advance and don't forget to post pictures
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 02:09 PM   #46
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you all for the responses, I'm going to be doing more research on the 14060 vs. m vs 114060

I will admit, I am liking learning about the small differences!

What is an unpolished full set?
Many pre-owned watches have gone through a service or two in their lifetime. Usually a watch will be "polished" during said service to buff out or remove scratches and lessen other wear and tear on the piece.

Unpolished is generally seen as more desirable because it leaves all the metal on the watch instead of buffing it out. Of course, buying new or a more recent reference will guarantee the squeaky clean unpolishedness.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
Old 13 May 2017, 03:25 PM   #47
manhattanproj
"TRF" Member

sub is always the 1st recommendation ppl give when buying your first rolex. because it's a well known and classic model within the rolex lineup.

but i wouldn't limit yourself to just the sub, of any refs. check out the current rolex lineup. see if any of the watches strike your fancy. the usual suspects are sub, gmt, explorer, datejust, or op.

get to an ad and see for yourself in person. find which one you really like. then you can start paring down and research some prices.

once you have your heart set on a model, then you can figure out if it's worth the saving buying new vs used and 6 digit ref vs 5 digit.

you should explore rather than sticking with the sub because your dealer told you.
manhattanproj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 04:02 PM   #48
SpyShops718
Banned

Watch: Rolex YM2 Gold '08
Get the Yacht-master 16622 it is a much better watch and it is the only Rolex that has platinum and rolesium combined. I paid for a 2009 $5500.00 and this one has the grey dial and is monochromic so you can wear it with everything. I just got me a 2001 16610 with date for $3700 and I put a original 16610LV green insert for $140.
SpyShops718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 04:52 PM   #49
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Why are so many people telling him to get a ceramic sub? Quite a lot of people, me included, prefer the five and four-digit subs to the new one. In fact I wouldn't be seen dead in any of the ceramic references because of the awkward case shape.

Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 01:16 AM   #50
09cs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanproj View Post
sub is always the 1st recommendation ppl give when buying your first rolex. because it's a well known and classic model within the rolex lineup.

but i wouldn't limit yourself to just the sub, of any refs. check out the current rolex lineup. see if any of the watches strike your fancy. the usual suspects are sub, gmt, explorer, datejust, or op.

get to an ad and see for yourself in person. find which one you really like. then you can start paring down and research some prices.

once you have your heart set on a model, then you can figure out if it's worth the saving buying new vs used and 6 digit ref vs 5 digit.

you should explore rather than sticking with the sub because your dealer told you.
Thanks for the tip, my dad has an Air King, and while nice, just never "did it" for me. I've been in love with the Submariner since the first time I saw one at a AD I walked by when I was a kid, though that was the blue and white gold model.
Old 14 May 2017, 01:25 AM   #51
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
I want to thank everyone for their responses! I'm going to do more research on the 14060 vs the 114060 and try and go to an AD or boutique to try it on
Awesome! Smart move. Good luck with your purchase!
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 01:26 AM   #52
09cs
"TRF" Member

So I've been doing some more research, and never realized the "engraved Rehaut" on the later 14060m and 114060's. I love that tiny detail! I think that narrows it down to at least those two models
Old 14 May 2017, 01:40 AM   #53
1rolexowner
"TRF" Member

Consider me to be an "alternate" voice. I own the Air-King you see in my avatar. I would recommend considering an Oyster Perpetual from a vendor like DavidSW..Here's a link with an example.
https://davidsw.com/product/rolex-11...index-markers/

It is like new; comes with all the paperwork AND is more than $1000 less than the Submariner ...$4375
Since it is your first watch, consider some options you may not have thought of or even known about, but buy what you like.

BTW you might be intrigued by the history of the Air-King, as I was...before you say it or hear it, OP and Air-King are not "cheap" Rolex. They have the same case material and movement as the Submariner no date.
1rolexowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 01:52 AM   #54
PoorButHappy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116503
Why pinch pennies for a new Rolex? When I purchased my first Rolex from a boutique, i didn't even bother bargaining. The sales person felt bad and gave me a 5% discount on cash purchases.

I would have walked out of there with a new watch in tow with or without the discount anyways. You know you are ready for your first Rolex when you are willing to pay MSRP for it. First Rolex should be special and if you need to bargain or get discounts in order to afford one, it just means that you probably need to save up for another month or so. I don't buy watches on credit. I buy them when i can afford to pay MSRP for them in cold hard cash.

Long story short. Over the next decade and a half, I was invited to a bunch of parties on new launches and developed a pretty good relationship with the boutique. The discounts and freebies came naturally over the years.

Buy new. But don't ask for discounts. David SW's prices are very fair and he is very trustworthy from what I read. If I am looking for another watch, I would definitely go with David SW.
PoorButHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 01:56 AM   #55
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorButHappy View Post
Buy new. But don't ask for discounts.
Huhhhhh? Buy an expensive luxury piece new, but don't bother on getting a good deal.
Old 14 May 2017, 02:02 AM   #56
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
So I've been doing some more research, and never realized the "engraved Rehaut" on the later 14060m and 114060's. I love that tiny detail! I think that narrows it down to at least those two models
I also like the engraved rehaut. Many here do not. Again, modern Rolex has a lot of nice little details that I think make it feel like more of a luxurious product. Part of the reason I prefer them. But I do understand why others prefer the older styles. To each his own. Since you'll actually see them in person you'll be able to decide for yourself.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 02:20 AM   #57
PoorButHappy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116503
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaTurtle View Post
Huhhhhh? Buy an expensive luxury piece new, but don't bother on getting a good deal.
Sorry if I sounded like a snob. But I firmly believe in the luxury experience.

Any firsts should be savored. First Rolex. First Ferrari. First wife... ok maybe not the wife.. but hear me out. I had a wonderful experience of buying my first Rolex in a boutique. Sitting inside their private room while they count out the cash. Was served some wine to make the transaction more pleasant while the sales person resize the bracelet and adjust the time while teaching me how to set the time and date on my watch.

You can only experience this once. On your second, third and subsequent purchases, the sense of wonder have faded and you just want the watch asap to take home before the honeymoon period ends.

I was lucky enough to experience it and for every milestone in my life, like my first Mercedes Benz or first cruise, I prefer to pay more for the experience.

Yup. I think you guys can safely say that I am a sucker for the luxury experience.
PoorButHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 02:38 AM   #58
triethylborane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Quote:
I prefer to pay more for the experience.

Yup. I think you guys can safely say that I am a sucker for the luxury experience.

Username is accurate. You can get the same luxury experience for less with negotiation. Try it out.
triethylborane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 02:52 AM   #59
manhattanproj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, my dad has an Air King, and while nice, just never "did it" for me. I've been in love with the Submariner since the first time I saw one at a AD I walked by when I was a kid, though that was the blue and white gold model.
i see. the sub is a classic. cant go wrong.

if it were me, i take a like new or bnib 114060. i like the maxi dial and the bracelet is very solid. nothing wrong with 14060m though. i find myself preferring the maxi.
manhattanproj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 04:32 AM   #60
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry if I sounded like a snob. But I firmly believe in the luxury experience.

Any firsts should be savored. First Rolex. First Ferrari. First wife... ok maybe not the wife.. but hear me out. I had a wonderful experience of buying my first Rolex in a boutique. Sitting inside their private room while they count out the cash. Was served some wine to make the transaction more pleasant while the sales person resize the bracelet and adjust the time while teaching me how to set the time and date on my watch.

You can only experience this once. On your second, third and subsequent purchases, the sense of wonder have faded and you just want the watch asap to take home before the honeymoon period ends.

I was lucky enough to experience it and for every milestone in my life, like my first Mercedes Benz or first cruise, I prefer to pay more for the experience.

Love the comment about the First Wife!

Man, your AD sounds like a nice bar / spa...Most ADs in the big city near me don't have such facilities. I've seen buyers leaning against the glass display case while the rep is taking their credit card on a Patek purchase. No bottled water, chocolates, diet coke or massage.

Oof. First Cruise is a milestone? Man, I would not be caught dead on a cruise.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote