The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 May 2017, 03:30 PM   #61
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The 36 looks much better than the other two, which both look too big on you, IMO. Try and get the bracelet/clasp issue fixed instead.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 03:44 PM   #62
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob78h View Post
Help me decide what to get for my next Rolex! I'm currently wearing a 36mm Explorer which I like, but due to my tiny 6" wrists I'm having trouble getting the clasp centered which is driving me nuts. I'm looking to flip it and get something with the new bracelet instead.

I'm looking at either the updated 39mm Explorer or the no date Sub-C. The Explorer lugs are curved so it feels like it wraps my wrist better, whereas the Sub is flatter and sits more on top of my wrist. The chunky, thicker case on the Sub gives it a lot more wrist presence whereas the Explorer blends in more as a part of my wrist.

Aside from that, I like both equally and am having trouble deciding what to get. I like the Explorer for its history (I tend to explore the outdoors rather than go diving) and how it is understated and less ubiquitous. It seems like a lot of people who buy a Rolex for the brand name buy Subs, and I don't want to give off that vibe. I'm also a little concerned that at my age (mid 20s) I'll get called out for having a fake Rolex since the Sub is so commonly faked (of course, I buy things for my enjoyment, not other people, but it would honestly irritate me a little to spend so much money on anything and have it mistaken for a fake). On the other hand, the Sub is a classic for a reason, and the chunky look is really growing on me, it is built like a tank. Also, even though I generally like the simplicity of the Explorer, on some rare occasions (when I'm dressed very casually in t-shirt/shorts) I feel like it is a little too plain and I want something with a little more wrist presence.

I only plan on owning one watch and wearing it for all occasions (hiking, skiing, the office, more formal events, a beer at the local bar, working on my car, etc). I don't want to look back in few years and not feel satisfied/get the itch to buy the other watch. I know many of you have (or have had) both, and I'd like to hear your wisdom on which one you wear more/would get as your only watch. Also, I'd appreciate opinions on which of the two you think looks better on my wrist (my 36mm Explorer included for comparison)
Keep your 36mm. It's perfectly scaled to your wrist. If you want another Rolex, the Submariner is fine choice and something new. But keep the Explorer.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 06:00 PM   #63
teb1013
"TRF" Member

I also think the 36mm is a perfect size for you. As a member of the "small wrist club" I wear a 36mm DJ about 1/2 of the time for this reason. Out of the other two, I think the Sub looks better on you, due to the bezel, the face looks less large on your wrist, thickness may be another issue for you. I like the suggestion someone made about a date Sub, despite the lack of the perfect symmetry of the ND. Although it's not what you want to hear (or to afford) I would keep the 36 Explorer and save for the Sub. Anyway they're all great looking watches. Let us know what you choose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
teb1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 07:25 PM   #64
tatery
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 polar
I own both and don't have a huge wrist either (6.5in). All three are winners in my book, but some things I would have given more thought to before my current lineup, are:

- the sub wears imo a little taller and chunkier for my wrist
- the exp is the most comfortable watch I've ever worn
- the exp dial is a bit larger than the dial on a sub or 36mm exp

I love almost everything about the new explorer, but am now considering flipping it for a gmt or 36mm. I realized I love the comfort and slim fit of the exp, but it's hard for me to get used to the increase in dial size over 40mm divers and the like. If I could go back in time, I would have tried a 36mm explorer first from a trusted seller on here or gone gmt from the get go. In any case, get the one you would regret the most not getting.... or get both!
Old 14 May 2017, 07:36 PM   #65
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpny View Post
Been there done that with my skinny wrist. If you are in San Francisco drive down to LA and stop into the Rolex Service Center.
Uh, no offense but it's over 380 miles from SF to LA. That's like saying if you're in Milwaukee drive on down to St Louis; or if you're in Louisville Kentucky drive up to Detroit. There must be a more convenient way to get the bracelet properly fitted.
Old 14 May 2017, 07:46 PM   #66
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Here is the real deal. Who cares about the size if you like the watch. IMO the Sub ND is what you should get and I think it's what you want. I've been a fan of the look and fit of the both explorers but something always pulls me away. To me they are confused on what they are. Sub IS a Rolex.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 08:18 PM   #67
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
If 36mm is comfortable, looks good to your eye, and it's only the clasp that's bothering you, why not try on a 36mm OP? Or a DJ? Plenty to choose from.
Old 14 May 2017, 08:56 PM   #68
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsykedaddy View Post
I think the 36 mm looks the best on you, however I do think the SubC looks awesome on you too. The 39 mm explorer looks a too big on you because it doesn't have the thick bezel like the Sub.

I would go 36 mm Explorer > SubC > Explorer 39 mm

Obviously you gotta get the one that you like the most
Agree totally with this assessment

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 11:01 PM   #69
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
I would absolutely recommend keeping the 36mm and figuring out a way to make it fit comfortably.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 12:01 AM   #70
shoresguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Going through this decision myself. Have you tried on a easier sub to see if it works better on your wrist? A 5513 or 14060 might work and with the money you save on buying a new rolex from an AD you could get the preowned fully serviced by RSC or a service person of your choice. You might also take less of a bath if you want to trade it later. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoresguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 12:07 AM   #71
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

So much to comment on! Lets get started!

Quote:
It seems like a lot of people who buy a Rolex for the brand name buy Subs, and I don't want to give off that vibe.
I didn't know that was the vibe I was giving off by wearing my SubC Date every day from my one watch collection. (I actually had NO desire for a Rolex when first watch shopping, but alas ended up with one.....but thats another story.)

Quote:
I'm also a little concerned that at my age (mid 20s) I'll get called out for having a fake Rolex since the Sub is so commonly faked
I love it when people think its fake, then I am not asked follow-on questions about cost, where I got it, and why I have it. The watch is for my enjoyment, and not others' enjoyment.....unless a WIS admires it and strikes up a conversation.

Quote:
(of course, I buy things for my enjoyment, not other people, but it would honestly irritate me a little to spend so much money on anything and have it mistaken for a fake)
See point above. Learn to embrace it. If anyone asks how much it cost (which has happened), I will sometimes tell them its fake......unless they are a WIS who wants to engage in WIS conversation and not just a looky-loo who is observing me as some sort of circus act.

Quote:
I only plan on owning one watch and wearing it for all occasions (hiking, skiing, the office, more formal events, a beer at the local bar, working on my car, etc).
WHOA! Let's slow down a bit. You may not know how things work around here, but before you do any skiing with your Rolex or work on your car or have a beer with your Rolex at a local bar (which sounds plain reckless, by the way), you need to submit a request for the group's opinion on whether your Rolex will be able to endure that particular activity. Please start your Title and Post with "Is it safe...?"

Most of the time, you should keep your Rolex in your house or a safety deposit box at the bank. You can't be taking it out to a "formal event" all willy-nilly. When you are reaching for your water glass at a round dining table crammed with too many guests and too many place settings where everyone has three different glasses and six utensils, plus a small plate for your roll at the top of your dinner plate (sheesh, I can put my dinner roll on my dinner plate, I don't need a separate mini-plate for it, and besides with the stupid mini-plate I have nowhere to put my water glass, my wine glass, and my mixed drink glass), you might ding your Rolex against another glass or rub it against the half-cooked chicken breast covered in brown gravy on your plate for which some schmuk paid $85 a plate. I mean, if you got gravy on your links you would have to send it in for a Rolex service, which isn't a safe activity either as it will probably come back with some scratches and maybe a ding on the case.

When you get your new Rolex take a few wrist shots to post here, maybe even the schmoozey-sheek hand in the pocket wrist shot, and then put you Rolex in your sock drawer until you get approval from the group to wear it to the office or speed-dating or something.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 03:07 AM   #72
Mikegp
"TRF" Member

I think the sub will be a better choice. You've already enjoyed and explorer so a sub will be a nice change. Also the Ceramic bezel will age better than the steel bezel on the exp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 03:15 AM   #73
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
If you want the more comfortable watch to wear, I would go for the Exp 39mm. It's sits better on the wrist with less profile. I have both, the Exp39mm & SubC.
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 04:14 AM   #74
jdpny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpny View Post
"Been there done that with my skinny wrist. If you are in San Francisco drive down to LA and stop into the Rolex Service Center."

Uh, no offense but it's over 380 miles from SF to LA. That's like saying if you're in Milwaukee drive on down to St Louis; or if you're in Louisville Kentucky drive up to Detroit. There must be a more convenient way to get the bracelet properly fitted.
Yup, I know - lived in the SF area for 3 years - Pacific Coast Highway is the BEST road I've ever driven and need no excuse to make that wonderful run both ways.
jdpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 04:17 AM   #75
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Those wrist shot photos are deceiving.
In reality, those watches appear smaller on you than photographed.
Go big, modern, forget what others think is "too big".
Buy what YOU like.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 04:36 AM   #76
PaulChronometer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Horage Array
I have a small and somewhat flat wrist (6.5) and a 39mm Exp. It has a lot of wrist presence: it is definitely not small, but neither is it too big.

What I like about the Exp is that the design is a bit more timeless, compared to the current Sub (which I liked better in its previous incarnations). It's an intriguing watch, due to its modest but confident appearance.

Anyway, choosing a watch is very personal. Don't rely on our opinions too much..
PaulChronometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 10:51 AM   #77
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Explorer all day long.
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 07:12 AM   #78
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I had the same debate, minus the 36mm explorer last month. Tried them both on... The explorer felt like it was meant for my wrist. Made my decision easy. The updated shock absorbers and parachrom spring plus the lumed numerals have really restored it to its origional intended purpose in my opinion. Nearly perfect watch
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 07:32 AM   #79
bob78h
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610
Wow, looks like public opinion is still in favor of the 36mm Explorer! I agree with much of what has been said -- 36mm is probably the best size for my wrists in terms of a traditional watch fit.

I went back to an AD to try on both newer watches again this weekend. The more I think about it the more I like the Sub. The Explorer might be a bit more comfortable but the maxi case on the Sub is so masculine. I like how it has more wrist presence when I'm dressed casually, whereas the 36mm Explorer blended in more. I like the 39mm Explorer too, but I feel a little bit like if I get it, I'll still end up wanting the Sub eventually.

I think the wrist shots I posted are a little deceiving. The newer watches do fill the width of my wrist, but the lugs don't hang off noticeably. Although they look big in the wrist shots, when I looked at a full length mirror, it wasn't that bad. I'm not that tall but not short either (5'9) and although I have skinny wrists I have a pretty athletic build, so I didn't feel like the Sub looked clownish on me at all. A little chunky, sure, but not ridiculous. I didn't feel like I was a kid wearing an adult's watch or anything, haha.

I will need to keep thinking about this, but at this point I'm leaning towards the Sub. Thank you all for your comments!
bob78h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 08:37 AM   #80
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
Go get that Sub ND!
Rolex.c6 is offline   Reply With Quote