The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2017, 01:08 PM   #1
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Would you make this trade?

I'm itching for something different and want to step up to something a bit more special. PM is not an option for me because I'm not a fan and I also want something that's going to go under the radar so I'm considering a PP Nautilus, which seems to tick the boxes.

Simply put, I'm not dropping that amount of money on a watch. For a start, Mrs Van D would drop a truck in my head if I did. However, I could do it by means of consolidating my collection.

I've been talking with one of the trusted sellers here and I can get a pre-loved Nautilus in exchange for my Daytona, BLNR and D-Blue plus a negligible amount of cash his way. Or, I could get a BNIB for my three Rolexes plus about US$4k.

That would leave me with my two Panerais (with a third coming in August) and my LVc. The only thing that really bothers me is that my Daytona was my first Rolex and has my birthday on the warranty card.

Thoughts?

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:10 PM   #2
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
i wouldnt, cant dump the panerais in any way? keep the first, but the others let them go
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:12 PM   #3
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
You get to keep your best Rolex ref, but I still wouldn't do the trade. Just doesn't seem right. You have a great collection. And the Nautilus is certainly not that under the radar.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:15 PM   #4
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
No way, those are three wonderful watches. I don't care for the style of the nautilus and frankly have never understood all the hoopla over it.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:18 PM   #5
And1dre
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I wouldn't make the trade. Those Rolex references are some of my favorites.
And1dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:21 PM   #6
Daryl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

keep the daytona..

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:22 PM   #7
CYKBC
"TRF" Member

I'd do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CYKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:22 PM   #8
Nikita70
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16760
I definitely would not. I think you will regret it.
Nikita70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
what? for a 5711?

all 3 + $4k?

no.

even though by the numbers its about even steven -- the 5711 isn't more special than 3 iconic rolexeses imop.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:26 PM   #10
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Not a chance. JMO
Wrist Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:27 PM   #11
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryacht View Post
No way, those are three wonderful watches. I don't care for the style of the nautilus and frankly have never understood all the hoopla over it.
Well said and I agree !!!
No Way Jose!!!! Forget About it...
Your Rolex's IMHO completely smoke and blow
away that particular PP reference... wait and
See how you feel in a few weeks or a couple of
months ... it's too much to trade and risk ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:29 PM   #12
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

wow..that's a lot...how much is 5711 in SG? have you tried the 5711 in person?
Old 13 May 2017, 01:33 PM   #13
Jaycnyp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Addict
I say no, just because you are already on the fence about giving up your Daytona.
Jaycnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:35 PM   #14
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Seems you're giving up quite a bit(about 30-32K) for your three Rolex.
What about the Pams? Any chance you can do a PAM+2 Rolex?
I only seen the 5711 in pics, but I'm not sure I'd let go those 3 great pieces for it.
Old 13 May 2017, 01:38 PM   #15
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Well...

I have seen and tried some (premium) watches in my time (had some as well), so, without further ado...I wouldn't do it even if the devil himself is chasing me!

First of all, I have nothing but MAD respect for Patek Philippe brand, they produce really fantastic watches and their prices are pretty steady...BUT...

Your Rolex watches are totally awesome (in my opinion, your Daytona is a WAY better watch in a pure horoligical sense, but whatsoever...) and, if it were me of course, I wouldn't be even tempted to do such a trade.

But I completely understand the situation - we are the watch freaks, we love our watches, but we got bored pretty quickly and then we want to sell, trade, buy...

IMHO, either give up of this trade, or (if you want Nautilus so badly) wait for BETTER trade proposition!

Anyways, only you know what is it that YOU want to do, so if the idea is clear - then, DO IT without a second thought!
Otherwise, keep your amazing collection and - try to save some money for Nautilus!
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:42 PM   #16
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Work with the trusted seller , funny I traded my d blue and blnr and cash for a 5711r . In your case I don't think that much cash should be going in the deal. Also, keep the daytona lose the lvc.
You'll love the 5711- go new with your name on the COO.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:49 PM   #17
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
I personally wouldn't do that. While I love the Nautilus I would prefer those other watches over it. If anything I would sell the Panerai watches and maybe one Rolex and then save for the rest. That's my opinion but as I'm sure you know do what makes you the most happy

I haven't owned a PP yet (I definitely will one day) but from everything I've read on these forums and elsewhere they don't seem to be as tough as the Rolex watches. That along with the servicing costs (time it takes to have a service done) I would definitely add the PP to your collection instead of getting rid of some really rock solid pieces.

I apologize in advance if I am incorrect about the fragility of PP watches, I'm just going by what I've read / been told by owners.
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:54 PM   #18
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I wouldn't.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 02:00 PM   #19
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

1) Have you tried a Nautilus on and lived with it on your wrist for a bit? Do you know you would like it for really real?

2) Trading out of ROLEX and into PATEK is acceptable, BUT ABSOLUTELY not if it leaves behind Panerai in your collection...and especially because of those three particular Rolex references...

So I would definitely trade the Panerai first, especially before they get any softer...

The Daytona is an ever ascending reference and the DBLUE / BLNR are rock solid, desirable pieces...so hanging on to those and moving out of Panerai is sharp.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 02:11 PM   #20
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

One pam, one Rolex, cash - that's how you get your 5711.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1779.jpg (100.1 KB, 625 views)
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 02:28 PM   #21
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Hmmmm, seems like the majority view is a resounding 'no'.

To answer questions generally:

1. My Panerais are going nowhere. I actually prefer them to my Rolexes.
2. My PAM 689 is a boutique only reference limited to only 300 pieces and my 359 is getting more wrist time than anything else at the moment.
3. My 359 is my most accurate watch, having gained seven seconds in three weeks.
4. I've never seen a Nautilus in the flesh, never mind tried one on.
5. I've heard of the scary short service intervals for PP and the time taken to do the job.
6. I'd leave the Nautilus behind in a zombie apocalypse.
7. Whilst my Daytona is special because it was my first and I picked it up on my 47th birthday, I would keep the LVc over it. My LVc is my zombie apocalypse watch.

On the basis of the above, I'm probably better off saving for a few years and adding the Nautilus while keeping what I have.

Thanks for your views, guys

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 02:39 PM   #22
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Hmmmm, seems like the majority view is a resounding 'no'.

To answer questions generally:

1. My Panerais are going nowhere. I actually prefer them to my Rolexes.
2. My PAM 689 is a boutique only reference limited to only 300 pieces and my 359 is getting more wrist time than anything else at the moment.
3. My 359 is my most accurate watch, having gained seven seconds in three weeks.
4. I've never seen a Nautilus in the flesh, never mind tried one on.
5. I've heard of the scary short service intervals for PP and the time taken to do the job.
6. I'd leave the Nautilus behind in a zombie apocalypse.
7. Whilst my Daytona is special because it was my first and I picked it up on my 47th birthday, I would keep the LVc over it. My LVc is my zombie apocalypse watch.

On the basis of the above, I'm probably better off saving for a few years and adding the Nautilus while keeping what I have.

Thanks for your views, guys
Smart move Paul.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 02:41 PM   #23
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
No
Old 13 May 2017, 02:47 PM   #24
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you want a blue watch, just hunt down that 690 you passed on!

More seriously, I'm not against this trade, but I think it's really important to try on the 5711 before flipping three watches for one.

If it were just the BLNR and D-blue plus cash, I'd say flip away, though. Plus, the cash outlay would be in the same range as your other watches, which could maybe make things okay with Mrs. Van D? ;-)

Last but not least, have you considered the new Laureato line from GP? A really elegant sports watch, the design of which is from the same era as the 5711. The price at 11k-ish is reasonable (considering what you get), and there's a 42mm version that could fit you well. You could do this one and only flip one plus a little cash. The blue is iconic, though I found myself drawn to the grey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0246.JPG (135.1 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0287.JPG (73.3 KB, 567 views)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 03:12 PM   #25
hotdoug
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
Quote:
I'm itching for something different and want to step up to something a bit more special. PM is not an option for me because I'm not a fan and I also want something that's going to go under the radar so I'm considering a PP Nautilus, which seems to tick the boxes.

Simply put, I'm not dropping that amount of money on a watch. For a start, Mrs Van D would drop a truck in my head if I did. However, I could do it by means of consolidating my collection.

I've been talking with one of the trusted sellers here and I can get a pre-loved Nautilus in exchange for my Daytona, BLNR and D-Blue plus a negligible amount of cash his way. Or, I could get a BNIB for my three Rolexes plus about US$4k.

That would leave me with my two Panerais (with a third coming in August) and my LVc. The only thing that really bothers me is that my Daytona was my first Rolex and has my birthday on the warranty card.

Thoughts?
No....way... I would go to patek ad and just put your name. 5711 is around 25k. Recently I got a call for white one. Passed on it a d still waiting for blue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
hotdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 03:24 PM   #26
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Keep the Daytona but trade off the DSSD+BLNR+(2)PAMs

Need more pics in this thread:

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 03:26 PM   #27
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
considering PP Nautilus Mrs Van D drop a truck on my head...consolidation..trusted sellers..in exchange for my Daytona, BLNR+D-Blue+cash Or BNIB for my 3 Rolexes +USD4K. 2 Panerais (3rd Aug)+my LVc.Really bothers me..Daytona..1st Rolex.Thoughts?
Permission to speak freely SIR !!!!

This is a Battle you simply cannot win Sir.You are occupying the lower,the Dealer is on the higher ground.What makes you think these offers are advantageous?You are also trying to rush your agenda through without fearing the far reaching consequences of your actions.Postpone plan of action,delay decisions and restrategize

There are too many Panerai Generals within the ranks with the same tactical mindset.You want accuracy then hire some Japanese GS Generals. Neither should you ignore nor abandon your trusted Old Warhorse Daytona who had fought alongside you through thick and thin.You never lost a battle when the Daytona was there.

The D-Blue, BLNR and the LVc are your triumph cards,they are the most powerful weapons in your arsenal.Use them wisely Sir otherwise you may still win the battle but lose the War...lose the War and You Lose Everything.....
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 03:47 PM   #28
Winnie Bloo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the GBP fall.
Well for one I am must pleased you posted your dilemma.

I am in the same boat as you, so to say.

I love the look of the Nautilus and have yet to try one and very much would like to add one through consolidating. Hopefully I may try one on Wednesday when I pop back to the UK.

My concern, after reading many threads on here would be from NOT buying from an AD the PP guarantee would not be valid ......or perhaps I have missed a few posts stating different? I stand to be corrected. If so with no PP guarantee, for me, it would be a no.

Oh well, if the AD finds me one to try, should I like it, I may add my name to their waiting list. I would then have the very difficult task on which ones to consolidate........well, one would have to go, gotta show willing to Mrs "Winnie".

The things we have to decide eh?

Again, thanks for posting.
Winnie Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 03:55 PM   #29
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
No way! Nautilus is a great watch, but not for those 3 Rolex models.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 03:56 PM   #30
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Consider a 5712, a bit more interesting than the 5711 w/ the 240 cal, and apparently slightly easier to come by. It's one of my favourite watches.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote