The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 December 2017, 12:49 AM   #61
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkalicious View Post
Agree. Not to be pedantic, but you did say "Rolex's" only go up one way, and the last time I checked, Milgausses were just as much a Rolex as a Submariner is, so I provided that as a counter-example.

If memory serves me correctly, the black DSSD was also hot and trading at premiums when it first came out.

The LV is a case much like the Daytona - in production for a number of years, attainable at one point in time, and now high in demand with waitlists. But I still wouldn't bet the farm on it just going up perpetually, as even the Daytona had its own peaks and valleys through the last 20 or so years. Especially as I remember Daytonas being hard to find and trading at premiums in Hong Kong in the mid to late 2000s, then became more available after the financial crisis hit, and then demand has now spiked again while the stock markets are at all time highs.

I do say this as someone with skin in the game - I have my LVc and I wouldn't mind if its value rocketed, though it doesn't really matter at the end of the day as I bought it to wear and have zero intention of selling for the foreseeable future.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:16 AM   #62
hulkalicious
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20addict View Post
I've only ever seen two LVc's in the wild and both were on a cruise over new years. I have never seen another besides my own unless I was in an AD.
It's weird, I once sat on a table with a Kermit wearer about a year ago and remeber thinking how his is probably worth more than my hulk now its probably the other way round depending on his serial
hulkalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 08:02 AM   #63
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Another economic crisis?

Although this time rather than irresponsible sub prime lending causing it, it will be irresponsible Rolex purchasing, and it won't be the banks needing "bailed out" due to carrying massively overvalued debt it will be grey market sellers in trouble due to carrying massively overvalued stock.....
I wish! But unless Rolex floods the market and blindsides the greys they will make hay.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 02:59 PM   #64
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather111 View Post
$11,000 to $13,000 for a Hulk? That's too much green to pay for a little green. Smarten up.

If it is discontinued in 2018, pre-owned prices will eventually settle to around $10,000 in a year or so, after the hype dies down.

If production is continued, pre-owned prices will drop below $9,000, as Rolex floods ADs with supplies.

It will rise. The unique look and nice proportions will drive value north.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 09:43 AM   #65
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

US $12.950 ?? What on earth..
Runnin' Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 10:01 AM   #66
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It is also one of those first world problems that will drive up the price simply because there is nothing else like it out there. That is a great place to sit as a particular Rolex model.
Old 16 December 2017, 11:35 AM   #67
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
After two days on my wrist, I see why the hype is real. The hulk is a gem and to me is a definite keeper. Pics don't do it justice and I am happy I decided to move on it.

MSRP + tax is pretty much $10k. Why such a commotion for people buying them at this price? I also don't understand why people are flipping them to merely make one or two hundred bucks.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 02:43 PM   #68
Godfather111
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Step
I know there's been a ton of speculation about the Hulk's eventual demise, but didn't know it went as far back as 2012 here in TRF!

A mere two years after its release:

Recent talk of 116610LV "Hulk" being discontinued

Of course some will say that NOW, five years later is the real time that the Hulk will be discontinued. The Kermit was discontinued after 7 years in production (but then it was a commemorative piece), so will the same 7-year cycle befall the LVc?
Godfather111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 05:35 PM   #69
Montybaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather111 View Post
I know there's been a ton of speculation about the Hulk's eventual demise, but didn't know it went as far back as 2012 here in TRF!

A mere two years after its release:

Recent talk of 116610LV "Hulk" being discontinued

Of course some will say that NOW, five years later is the real time that the Hulk will be discontinued. The Kermit was discontinued after 7 years in production (but then it was a commemorative piece), so will the same 7-year cycle befall the LVc?
I may be wrong but...

The Kermit was replaced by the Hulk when the Submariner range was updated in 2010 (to six digit/ceramic etc) so was it not a mere update and the hulk is just the updated anniversary model?

If this is the case it is likely to be 'updated' much the same in line with the Submariner range and still be available but with a few tweaks

How do we refine discontinued/updated? new model reference? If the LV adopts the new movement but is identical in every other way (bar reference no) is it still a 'discontinued' model? would in that instance the values reduce on the old hulk?

I love the watch and enjoy wearing it, always being a fan if green and Subs meant I was always going to own one, the value rising is obviously nice but I also dont want to 'baby' the watch or stop wearing it because if its value so I am split on this, I know if I sold now and values increased/discontinued I would never own another so I am holding on to it, at least as long as I am comfortable as an everyday watch
Montybaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 07:18 PM   #70
YachtMaster22
"TRF" Member

I could take a 20 year old ss DJ on a stretched-out jubilee bracelet and price it at $20,000. Doesn't mean it'll sell for that.
YachtMaster22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 10:46 PM   #71
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtMaster22 View Post
I could take a 20 year old ss DJ on a stretched-out jubilee bracelet and price it at $20,000. Doesn't mean it'll sell for that.
Theres alot of vintage 'garbage' being sold today at stupid prices. I always wonder why someone wants a vintage sub or GMT that has the case polished down to the point it needs a new case.

REAL vintage collectors dont buy this crap
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 03:31 AM   #72
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
5711 and DaytonaC sell for 60% over retail nowadays. AP 15202, 15300 and even 15400 are 30% over what the resale was last year but when the poor Hulk resale goes up 1-2k, its complete anarchy... LOL... Jesus.
lmcgbaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 03:35 AM   #73
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgbaj View Post
5711 and DaytonaC sell for 60% over retail nowadays. AP 15202, 15300 and even 15400 are 30% over what the resale was last year but when the poor Hulk resale goes up 1-2k, its complete anarchy... LOL... Jesus.
^^^ Bravo. here is a guy that sees the big picture and puts it in perspective....

What next, a particular Porsche 911 demanding a premium over others and the market driving the street value way up?? Ludacris.
Old 21 December 2017, 03:37 AM   #74
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
I may be wrong but...

The Kermit was replaced by the Hulk when the Submariner range was updated in 2010 (to six digit/ceramic etc) so was it not a mere update and the hulk is just the updated anniversary model?

If this is the case it is likely to be 'updated' much the same in line with the Submariner range and still be available but with a few tweaks

How do we refine discontinued/updated? new model reference? If the LV adopts the new movement but is identical in every other way (bar reference no) is it still a 'discontinued' model? would in that instance the values reduce on the old hulk?

I love the watch and enjoy wearing it, always being a fan if green and Subs meant I was always going to own one, the value rising is obviously nice but I also dont want to 'baby' the watch or stop wearing it because if its value so I am split on this, I know if I sold now and values increased/discontinued I would never own another so I am holding on to it, at least as long as I am comfortable as an everyday watch
I think there has to be a slight design change with the new movement as these have no displaybacks either. Unless that is the change! I can't think of another Rolex/Tudor of recent times that has had a movement update without some cosmetic change too.
Old 21 December 2017, 03:37 AM   #75
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgbaj View Post
Winner.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 03:40 AM   #76
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
^^^ Bravo..here is a guy that sees the big picture and puts it in perspective....
Alas in UK this is nearly up 50% too, and BLNR is close behind, and soon the black subc too. US will be next.

Really it was crazy of Rolex to not distribute these evenly thru the year, regardless of demand, and then have this massive shortfall now, and even worse, publicly state it will be so for months as well.
Old 21 December 2017, 03:43 AM   #77
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think there has to be a slight design change with the new movement as these have no displaybacks either. Unless that is the change! I can't think of another Rolex of recent times that has had a movement update without some cosmetic change too.
Rolex could change the color of the font on the dial and call it a upgrade. I think we are waiting to see if that happens with the SD43.

Rolex is sitting in a ideal situation. Our US Economy is seeing a boom it hasnt seen in decades. When the flood gates of SS Rolex watches open, they will be snatched up immediately. $1500 either way wont make a difference when paying over $10k for a Rolex. I am totally expecting a significant Rolex price increase across the board. Its long over due and one reason I purchased 2 new Rolex models this summer.
Old 21 December 2017, 03:46 AM   #78
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Rolex could change the color of the font on the dial and call it a upgrade. I think we are waiting to see if that happens with the SD43.
If it happens I think it will be more like the Tudor BB, with two of three points of difference. Don't think the SD43 will be changed at all, up from 40 was the big one.
Old 21 December 2017, 03:49 AM   #79
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If it happens I think it will be more like the Tudor BB, with two of three points of difference. Don't think the SD43 will be changed at all, up from 40 was the big one.
You dont think the red font on the SD43 will go back to being white? Rolex is the master and even after 20+ years in the Rolex game, I still marvel at their insight and market strategy. One of many reasons I love the hobby.
Old 21 December 2017, 04:15 AM   #80
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
You dont think the red font on the SD43 will go back to being white? Rolex is the master and even after 20+ years in the Rolex game, I still marvel at their insight and market strategy. One of many reasons I love the hobby.
They wont be switching any red 'font'. They didnt design the SD43 for 'speculators'.

16610LV history assures me there will be no changes
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 04:08 AM   #81
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
With all due respect to the potential collectibility of this Watch, that pricing level is just plain unsustainable. Now, I might be eating those words in six months, but I believe the availability of the LVc and other SS models will improve significantly over the next few months. If it does not, I’ll have one for sale at those prices!
What do words taste like ?
Old 12 August 2018, 04:57 AM   #82
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Not my money even if I were a fan.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2018, 01:48 PM   #83
Whiskey Tango ...
Banned

Watch: Old Dweller
Quote:

I don’t think they will drop the redline. The MK1 (no crown at 6) dial will probably be the only wink from Rolex of the true 50 year anniversary model. Subtle I agree, but it looks like even the conservative Rolex couldn’t resist doing something to differentiate 17 stock.
Whiskey Tango ... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 01:46 PM   #84
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Asking 16,500
😂
Old 12 June 2019, 09:36 PM   #85
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Asking 16,500
😂
Over 17k now

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=680474
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 09:45 PM   #86
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Nope
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 09:47 PM   #87
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
These days people want the unobtainable I guess. Even with a huge premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote