The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 May 2018, 06:27 PM   #31
JSL420
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMdR View Post
I own a 214270, but am debating flipping it for a DJ41. I’d say go DJ41. The one thing that I personally don’t like about the DJ36 happens to be the bezel. I don’t like the domed bezel. I think that the smooth bezel on the DJ41 and the Explorer is sharper and sportier. So for a everyday wear “sports” watch I’d say go DJ41 or Explorer. The other factor you want to consider is if you want polished center links. I kind of like them because of the contrast so that’s why I’m considering getting a DJ41. Congrats though! Can’t waot to see what you end up with.
Cool
The strange thing is the DJ41 and Exp 214270 wear almost same size on my wrist, I can’t be sure.
JSL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 04:34 AM   #32
DanMdR
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL420 View Post
Cool
The strange thing is the DJ41 and Exp 214270 wear almost same size on my wrist, I can’t be sure.
Haven’t measured myself, but from what other people have said, the DJ41 is only .5mm larger than the Explorer. It’s my understanding that the Explorer is a true 39mm and the DJ41 is 39.5mm.

Depending on what color combo you get on the DJ41, it really comes down to Polished lugs and center links.
DanMdR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 09:20 AM   #33
gk032
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36, SS, Blk dial
I have both. I purchased the DJ first then a month later an Explorer I. It just didn’t feel right to have one without the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28 May 2018, 09:31 AM   #34
DanMdR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk032 View Post
I have both. I purchased the DJ first then a month later an Explorer I. It just didn’t feel right to have one without the other.

Nice!! Which do you wear more? What color is your DJ? You got any other watches in rotation?
Old 28 May 2018, 09:42 AM   #35
Bdrake
"TRF" Member

I really prefer the exployer due to the fit in my 7.5 wrist and frankly I appreciate it’s remarkable history. However, if it doesn’t fit you probably won’t wear it. I hope this is helpful and best wishes.
Bdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 09:42 AM   #36
gk032
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36, SS, Blk dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMdR View Post
Nice!! Which do you wear more? What color is your DJ? You got any other watches in rotation?

Black dial sticks. I wear the DJ M-F, the Explorer on the weekends. Nope, that’s my collection. Love both watches. Maybe someday I’ll switch it up.

Old 28 May 2018, 09:44 AM   #37
Bdrake
"TRF" Member

Sorry in my 7.5 inch wrist. Too big a hurry trying to catch a plane.
Bdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 10:34 AM   #38
FrankBullitt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguila9 View Post
The DJ36 fits you perfectly. Thinking a watch is to small once in a while is a lot better than thinking it's too big. I can live with the too small. The too big gets in my head, and before you know it I'm jot wearing the watch anymore. That's from a guy with +8" wrist.
Same here: +8" wrist, and I've noticed that every watch I have stopped wearing entirely is either over 40mm width or over 12mm height, or both. Even with my chunker wrists, I love 36mm. Like you, a too wide or too tall watch just gets in my head and annoys me. They very much appealed to me on paper and when first purchased, but somehow grate on me in daily wear. Watches are very personal when they are worn daily. Either you feel they fit you, or you don't, no matter the paper specs or conventional wisdom.
FrankBullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 11:22 AM   #39
aguila9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBullitt View Post
Same here: +8" wrist, and I've noticed that every watch I have stopped wearing entirely is either over 40mm width or over 12mm height, or both. Even with my chunker wrists, I love 36mm. Like you, a too wide or too tall watch just gets in my head and annoys me. They very much appealed to me on paper and when first purchased, but somehow grate on me in daily wear. Watches are very personal when they are worn daily. Either you feel they fit you, or you don't, no matter the paper specs or conventional wisdom.
My wife had bought me a 44mm Citizen Eco-Drive for our 20th anniversary and I wore it nonstop for years until I got a 38MM Seiko. That was my awakening, everytime I wore the Citizen it just seemed to large. Slowly but surely it's been exiled to the watch box. I mainly stay between 38-40mm now.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
aguila9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 11:46 AM   #40
DanMdR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk032 View Post
Black dial sticks. I wear the DJ M-F, the Explorer on the weekends. Nope, that’s my collection. Love both watches. Maybe someday I’ll switch it up.

That sounds like a good rotation.
Old 28 May 2018, 11:55 AM   #41
martinscott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
Get the Explorer... Brushed links/bracelet & safety clasp.
martinscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 12:47 AM   #42
JSL420
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys so much for the help!

I really like the Explorer and I think it will make a good pair with my speedy, however the size could be a potential problem, I surely don’t want an oversized piece as a daily wear.
I’ll wait for a while and if Rolex updated the DJ36 steel model, it’s clearly winner.
At the moment I’ll just continue enjoy my Speedy!

Have a great day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6008DDD4-340B-4157-AC5B-FBE5EAF1AF54.jpeg (253.3 KB, 236 views)
Old 30 May 2018, 06:58 PM   #43
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
the Speedy looks ridiculously big on you.
The dj36 is definitely the better fitment on you.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 11:25 PM   #44
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Dj 36 fits you the best.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 02:44 AM   #45
DanMdR
"TRF" Member

I don’t think the Explorer will wear as large as the Speedmaster. The explorer also wears way flatter than a Speedmaster. I believe the lug to lug on the explorer is about the same as the Speedmaster, but the domed back makes the Speedmaster stick out from your arm, whereas the Explorer will be very flat on your arm. I say get the Explorer and don’t look back.

Also do you plan on wearing the Explorer on a Nato strap like the Speedmaster? Nato straps also raise the watch even more.
Old 31 May 2018, 03:01 AM   #46
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

DJ 36 is the one for you.

That Omega looks several sizes too big to me, but seemingly anything goes these days.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 10:59 PM   #47
JSL420
"TRF" Member

I know, my Speedmaster is the watch that I’ll never sell, it has special meaning to me, I know it’s imperfect, it wears large on my wrist, the plastic crystal always gets scratched, it’s not COSC, however I think it’s really speacial
With that said, that’s why I’m looking for a more capable and suitable watch for me as daily wearer, obviously there are many options out there but nobody would argue that Rolex makes quality products and can last for a life time hopefully I will find one this year
Old 1 June 2018, 10:29 AM   #48
mrk pixben
Banned

The Explorer is actually a great watch but what matters here is what fits you perfectly and i think that goes to the DJ, welcome to the forum.
mrk pixben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 11:33 AM   #49
zen watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc
Hi, I have the same exact 36 mm dj that you posted. I love it. It fits my very small wrist; 5.8 inches as of last measurement. That being said, I also have a 40 mm subc which is my daily wear. My opinion is buy something that you will love to wear everyday.
Blro
zen watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 11:47 AM   #50
Drewkeffler
Banned

I am a huge fan of the DJs, I will gladly choose it over the Explorer. The DJ fits best.
Drewkeffler is offline   Reply With Quote